Microsoft fails to make Smash Bros like game.

Gold Vanguard

You do know Play4Real is a satirical site, right?

This.

Do you think that any company would take the step of starting a game development cycle without thinking through something quite that basic?

Edited by CinderSkye

Wow, the beta testers for this game seems like real douches.

EDIT: Welp, it's from Play4Real so nvm 'bout my dumb comment :/

Edited by Kramgnauh

"I recall right before cancellation that someone said they didn't want a Smash Brothers-like game on the Xbox because it was for kids and the Xbox isn't for children. His last comment on the beta mentioned there not being enough sex appeal from Cortana,"

I can't help but smile at this part, every time.

Too bad we'll never get to play as Spartan I, II and III.

Also, uh, a ton of people said it but it's kind of a joke article, if you didn't realize.

Doesn't matter, the article still raises some semi-legitimate points.

Seriously, why DO all the 360 exclusives use guns?

Xbox fans love games with guns?

In anycase it wouldn't surprise me if Xbox really tried to do it... Usually when Nintendo makes something and Sony follows, Microsoft goes right in. Lol Kinect. Of course i'm talking right out of my ass here because Microsoft could have started kinect before sony but i Hate the xbox for whatever reason so meh.

Edited by SlayerX

Title of Thread Reads Like Onion News Article Headline

Lost Odyssey had the coolest flashback things ever. I actually liked reading those more than playing the rest of the game.

It's worth it literally for just those. Otherwise it's just okay.

Seriously. I only played till around the end of the first disc, but even my friends would be like "oh ya if you get to any of those flashbacks let us know so we can listen too." Some of them were kinda hilarious and corny but still.

However, I'm pretty sure Lost Odyssey did have guns, just the PCs didn't (maybe I'm wrong about that one). Did have lots of sorts of artillery, mechanisms, etc.

Edited by Mouse

I think there were some mechanical creatures around, but I don't remember anyone having any guns. I haven't played it in years, but I think everything was fought with spears, swords, etc.

There may have been a slight exception that involved magic and lasers or something. Hmm.

Lost Odyssey has a fanbase?

Kid Icarus/Ice Climbers/Mr. Game and Watch/ROB/Earthbound*/Fire Emblem* had fanbases?

* These series have passionate fanbases, but prior to the release of the Smash game that they first appeared in, general awareness of these series was exceptionally low.

Kid Icarus/Ice Climbers/Mr. Game and Watch/ROB/Earthbound*/Fire Emblem* had fanbases?

* These series have passionate fanbases, but prior to the release of the Smash game that they first appeared in, general awareness of these series was exceptionally low.

True, yet it's also the case that some of those still sort of had an enduring memory in the nintendo fanbase, even in the US. Not so much as games people return to play again and again, but as nostalgic figures from the past and such.

Like, I don't know if I ever played a G&W game with G&W in it, but we had a couple of those when I was young, so the "graphical style" (on/off digital marks, etc) has a strong appeal for me. G&W in general, in my eyes, has stirring charisma, universal appeal, and is a leader and a hero for the times we live in (very much like Mario, Samus, DK, Ness in that sense, Bowser used to have it but IMO now does not, Kirby is sort of the anti-this, he is a destructive force that undoes order). Incidentally, Master Chief might also have this.

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Master Chief is a generation defining character.

I'd feel much better about being a gamer if it was, like, Bioshock Dude/Shepard/Nathan Drake/Ezio/Revan/The Warden/Ratchet&Clank/etc...Basically someone with a personality starring in a game you actually got emotionally invested in.

Y'know, NOT HALO 3 (1/Reach/4 were good, 2 was meh, ODST was pretty bad, I hated 3 so much)

Did you just fucking say Earthbound was not well known?

Earthbound is a bit of a cult hit. It might have been a bit more noticeable some time ago, but it's definitely at least close to obscure.

SSBM and SSBB have helped to increase awareness of the series, but it's still not all that huge.

While I never got emotionally invested in Master Chief in the games themselves (books are another story), I did get attached to the cast he worked with - in that regard, he's no different from Link and all of Nintendo's silent protagonists, only Bungie/343 don't take the silence bit literally.

Did you just fucking say Earthbound was not well known?

Have you ever looked at Earthbound/Mother 2's sales? Earthbound's sales and marketing fail was so huge that even with decent Japanese performance and an aura of mystery accumulating around the series for being represented in three Smash games, it has still not seen another international release. It scared Nintendo that badly. On the other hand, the Smash series has been successfully used as a revival platform for Fire Emblem (dead during N64), Metroid (dead during N64), and Kid Icarus (dead since the original Game Boy). And then consider that that was the only international entry in a 2-game series (prior to the 2000s). I can't imagine that prior to Ness' appearance in the original Smash that the series had even had 100,000 unique newcomers to the series download and then play the game an appreciable amount. Fire Emblem may have been Japan only, but it was actually big in Japan, with five installments and an OVA.

At the time of a franchise's first Smash Debut, Earthbound is easily the least known series to have made it into one of the games. And up until Mother 1+2 and 3 were released for the GBA in Japan, Earthbound was the lowest selling franchise ever to be in Smash. It now has outsold Ice Climber, at least - but Game & Watch (pretty sure), Fire Emblem (definitely), and Kid Icarus (definitely) are all still bigger series. ROB I don't have any data on, but considering that ROB is credited with singlehandedly allowing the NES to flourish post-crash and restart up the Video Game Industry outside of Japan, I think he gets a pop culture pass.

Edited by CinderSkye

I do remember reading an interview where a Microsoft executive was asked if they'd ever make a Smash Bros. like game, but responded saying that Microsoft prefers to make original, new games. If only I could find that site...

So staying on the topic of a Microsoft Smash Bros. game, what first party characters do they have?

Master Chief

Marcus Phoenix

Blinx

Banjo Kazooie

Conker

Joanna

...okay, they don't have much to work with in terms of first party.

They could use Battletoads, Killer Instinct, and Viva Pinata, but Battletoads and Killer Instinct hasn't ever officially been on XBox from my knowledge, and Viva Pinata would be unfitting for a fighter.

I do remember reading an interview where a Microsoft executive was asked if they'd ever make a Smash Bros. like game, but responded saying that Microsoft prefers to make original, new games. If only I could find that site...

So staying on the topic of a Microsoft Smash Bros. game, what first party characters do they have?

Master Chief

Marcus Phoenix

Blinx

Banjo Kazooie

Conker

Joanna

...okay, they don't have much to work with in terms of first party.

They could use Battletoads, Killer Instinct, and Viva Pinata, but Battletoads and Killer Instinct hasn't ever officially been on XBox from my knowledge, and Viva Pinata would be unfitting for a fighter.

Don't they have Juno, Vela, and Lupus' rights (heck maybe the tribal leader and an ant while combining the three heroes into a character)? I assume they could add those guys... Though it'd be even more guns lol. Maybe the pig, chicken and clock from diddy kong racing (unless nintendo has the rights to those). The only thing here is that they might be not very known now.