Laguz

Knife

I am currently doing a Laguz playthrough and I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on each Laguz. Since I can only take 9 regular Laguz (and one Laguz royal), it would help me determine who to raise and who to dump.

Volug - Once you get rid of that mandatory halfshift, he is really good. Other than that, he is the only Wolf Laguz in the game, which automatically makes him worth using.

Muarim - I haven't used him much, only for Part 1's chapters. He looked like he was okay for a Tiger, though I really don't have much of an opinion for him.

Vika - She dodges really good. She does suck at attacking though, but that's expected for a Raven. Currently my most underleveled Laguz.

Nealuchi - I really haven't used him much, so I don't know about him.

Lethe - She's decent, has a subpar attack strength and a dcent dodge. Nothing really shines from her though.

Mordecai - The biggest Laguz powerhorse I've seen yet, he has awesome attack and defense, but never seems to double.

Kyza - He's the speediest Tiger I've played with, too bad his speed cap is very low. The main reason to consider him over Mordecai is his speed, because doubling units is definitely important.

Ranulf - Best Laguz overall, he is the only Cat I have that can take down a General in two rounds. Not to mention he's pretty badass.

Lyre - Ewwww... She's the worst Laguz yet, it's harder to keep her alive than to use her. Unless something really awesome happens to her, consider her benched.

Janaff - No opinion.

Ulki - No opinion.

Skrimir - I haven't used him yet.

Giffca - I haven't used him yet.

Volug - He's useful to help the Dawn Brigade, but fails come part 4 unless you battle save abuse the hell out of him.

Muarim - I don't think he's worth the time.

Vika - She's got great growths, but poor availability. Some strength abuse and she's really good.

Nealuchi - No.

Lethe - Not really.

Mordecai - Tank, but not my type of unit.

Kyza - Pretty good for a tiger, he can be a solid unit.

Ranulf - Pretty good for a laguz, though I don't use him much.

Lyre - Better than Lethe when trained right, but that is tough to do even in easy mode.

Janaff - He's male.

Ulki - He's weird.

Skrimir - He seems okay.

Giffca - Cheap

Ena - I used three energy drops on her...it made her pretty good.

Kurthnaga - Good if you raise him, but not for long enough.

Nasir - White Pool. 'nuff said.

Gareth - Phailure in its most epic form.

Volug - He's useful to help the Dawn Brigade, but fails come part 4 unless you battle save abuse the hell out of him.

Muarim - I don't think he's worth the time.

Vika - She's got great growths, but poor availability. Some strength abuse and she's really good.

Nealuchi - No.

Lethe - Not really.

Mordecai - Tank, but not my type of unit.

Kyza - Pretty good for a tiger, he can be a solid unit.

Ranulf - Pretty good for a laguz, though I don't use him much.

Lyre - Better than Lethe when trained right, but that is tough to do even in easy mode.

Janaff - He's male.

Ulki - He's weird.

Skrimir - He seems okay.

Giffca - Cheap

Ena - I used three energy drops on her...it made her pretty good.

Kurthnaga - Good if you raise him, but not for long enough.

Nasir - White Pool. 'nuff said.

Gareth - Phailure in its most epic form.

The hell?

Choose Mordeacai over Kiza trust me. I capped everything wit mordecai with help of Bexp after he capped Skill defense and hp. Although both tigers have the same capped stats so it,s your decision.

Also you should use Ulki or Janaff, But i prefer ulki since he is harder to hit. You should use Ranulf as your cat. Volug as your wolf if he becomes useful. You should use these but IMO.

THE DRAGONS ARE LAGUZ TOO, even though you get them in Endgame.

Thanks, but the list is to help me choose who to bring to endgame. The dragons don't really use up a character slot, so I was deciding who to bring to endgame.

@Fox: Does Lyre really get better than Lethe? Because even though they're 5 levels apart, Lethe outclasses her in every stat by around 3.

Also, I actually like Kyza. Just because of that high speed, I might consider choosing him over Mordecai, but I may bring Mordecai to endgame anyway, seeing as how I have 9 spots. I don't think I'll take any of the Cats not named Ranulf, because they seem to suck.

Volug- I like him, good enough growths and decent availability.

Muarim- Bench

Vika- Bench

Nealuchi- Am I the only one who LOVES this guy?

Mordecai- Tank, can't double. A candidate for Endgame but not your best bet.

Lethe- Fast, utterly lacking in strength

Ranulf- He outclasses some of your better Beorc units IMO

Kyza- Low Bases, bitchin' growths especially speed

Lyre- Uhg...

Ulki- See Mordecai

Janaff- See Kysa

Gifca- As good as the Royals

Skrimer- See Mordecai

All Royals- PWNSUACE ON WHIP-ASS BREAD

@Fox: Does Lyre really get better than Lethe? Because even though they're 5 levels apart, Lethe outclasses her in every stat by around 3.

She did. I raised them both in my girls run and Lyre surpassed Lethe as a result of capping Speed and Skill quite early on.

I also used Lyre. She starts out with like no strength, but she ends up quite good. Just give her a chance

Thanks, but the list is to help me choose who to bring to endgame. The dragons don't really use up a character slot, so I was deciding who to bring to endgame.

Also, I actually like Kyza. Just because of that high speed, I might consider choosing him over Mordecai, but I may bring Mordecai to endgame anyway, seeing as how I have 9 spots. I don't think I'll take any of the Cats not named Ranulf, because they seem to suck.

Ranulf is the worst of the three cats. You're only going to cap stats with him if you're lucky, whereas Lethe will almost guaranteed cap HP, Speed and Defense fairly early and Lyre IS GOING TO CAP skill and speed by level 30, if not earlier. I'd take Lyre out of the group because she's the easiest to bonus XP abuse into someone uber.

I'd say bring Ulki. He's one of my favorite Laguz units, because his unique skill is pretty awesome and he's only slightly behind Janaff in Strength and Skill.

As for the Tiger debate, it depends on if you're going to bonus XP abuse one of the cats or not. Since you seem like you want to bring Ranulf, I'd say bring Mordecai because he is easier to bonus XP abuse into someone amazing. He caps defense and HP super, super stupidly fast.

So what's that? 3 guys? Bah.

Try Vika. She's got absurd growths in everything, ABSOLUTELY everything but strength. Sure you don't get her for very long, but she's excellent.

Skrimir is a good tank unit if you're not planning on using Mordecai, Giffca, or Caineghis. His defense is pretty crazy. (46 while capped and shifted? Nuts, man. Just nuts.)

Volug is good because of Howl. Also, don't dump Halfshift. It doesn't half your XP gains as advertised. That was a translation error. As far as I can tell, it means you only gain 1.5x stats while shifted instead of doubling them. So you can shift at will and be somewhat weaker than when you fullshift, or you can still just wait for your gauge to build up and regular shift for the full x2 stats. He's a good unit, despite what a lot of people say. He just takes an awful lot of work.

I'm pretty much stumped after that. I don't have strong opinions on any of the other guys out there. Take into consideration the Royal you bring and plan around that. If you bring Naesala, bring Leanne and Nealuchi. Tibarn, bring Ulki and Janaff. If you're bringing any of the other royals, you're already likely to be bringing their bond units, though, so don't sweat them so much.

I have a question about Halfshift.

If you use Halfshift, wait a turn, then un-Shift on the next turn does your transformation gauge stay at 26 (or whatever) or does it go back down to zero? Just asking. ^_^;;

On topic; I agree largely with what Sandmanccl has said above me. And I don't use any of the non-royal/dragon laguz on my PTs.

I have a question about Halfshift.

If you use Halfshift, wait a turn, then un-Shift on the next turn does your transformation gauge stay at 26 (or whatever) or does it go back down to zero? Just asking. ^_^;;

On topic; I agree largely with what Sandmanccl has said above me. And I don't use any of the non-royal/dragon laguz on my PTs.

No, it resets to 30. That's why it is useful to get down to around 3 or so, un-transform, and then transfrom again on the same turn. Instant gauge refilling.

No, it resets to 30. That's why it is useful to get down to around 3 or so, un-transform, and then transfrom again on the same turn. Instant gauge refilling.

Don't you mean reset to 0?

No, if you revert from a Halfshift, you drop back down to 0 on the Laguz gauge.

What? You're able to transform automatically after you revert from a Halfshift, meaning you have 30. :/

I assume that's only if you halfshift when your regular shift is already ready?

I must test this theory because as good as many of the laguz have the potential to be, this would mean there'd probably be one in my final parties each time.

Volug - After he loses his halfshift, I didn't find him as good. I preferred Nailah.

Muarim - I only used him to back-up people in Part 1.

Vika - Well...if you can pump her full of BEXP to make up for all the chapters you don't have her, she is KILLER.

Nealuchi - VERY good to start, but not worth it from 2-Endgame onwards.

Lethe - I don't like her, she's too average, and I hate her as a character.

Mordecai - He was capped from PoR in EVERYTHING, so he was amazing for me.

Kyza - I never used him, so no opinion.

Ranulf - I find his Speed a bit too low, and i'm training up the other units when I use him.

Lyre - HELL YES. I got her to level 40, and she beat Sephrahim in 1 turn... She is VERY good, but she requires work.

Janaff - Very good to start, but Ulki is better if you HAVE to use a bird Laguz.

Ulki - Ulki is better after training him up.

Royals: I found Nailah and Naesala the best. That's just me though.

i would use Ranulf, Lyre, Kyza, Vika, Janaff, and Volug for my playthrough, simply because i like them the best

for royals maybe Nailah, Tibarn, and/or Naesala

By the way, I got all the Laguz up to level 40 and am ready to head into endgame. The best non-royal/Skrimir/Giffca unit I have is Mordecai, he capped everything.

Also, instead of a Laguz royal, I decided to bring Giffca. He fits somewhere between uber Royals and decent non-royals.

Volug - After he loses his halfshift, I didn't find him as good. I preferred Nailah.

If you raise Volug up to level 40 correctly, he gets basically the same stats as Nailah.