Preferred Maron's men?

Espinosa

Which character do you pick?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. First pick

2. 2. Second pick

Lee is the only unit who heals and uses offensive magic. Defence Staff he gives to Plum helps lord's durability.

Ezekiel is helpful for one of the most annoying sidequests in the game.

Narron breaks the game.

Ruka helps another archer get more adequate performance.

Lionel crits like crazy when his health goes down.

What's your usual order of choosing Maron's men in this game? I used to go Narron, then Lionel, but now I kinda like Lee, then Narron more. Maybe Lee/Lionel is the best way for LTC?

First trip : Narron. He grows at an astronomic rate and is a welcome fighter in the frontlines. Raphin may be good but he will like all the help he can get. Narron happens to have better potential than Arkis, Kreiss and Estelle in the long run and achieves a higher level extremely fast. Lee's a nice jack of all trades, though. It's just that I prefer using Enteh since she's already forced, other staff users have their own niche (Plum, Lyria) or even trump his own (Mel in terms of movement). His magical damage output is nice, but even there I think there's better out there.

Second trip : Lionel. Holmes faces a few fairly annoying indoor maps early on, namely chapters 11 and 16, and I believe Lionel is a great help there. His skillset, being able to grow in movement and having reliable 1-2 range indoors are also neat perks.

I'd like somebody to prove that choosing Narron saves turns. Clearly he breaks the game (not that Zeke and Raffin don't do that without him already) but is he saving turns? If you don't choose Lee first time, you miss out on the Defence Staff, and Ryunan has to slow down going to the throne. If you don't pick Lionel second time, dealing with all the sky high defence monsters becomes problematic and Narron loses lances indoors. Lionel's movement growth is something that may or may never kick in, though.

There weren't that many chapters that I can remember where I had to slow Runan down in my draft run. Zeek/Raffin/Narron pretty much just cleared the path. And that was a draft run with less units.

Can personally say you don't even need Zeek and Narron. Estelle and Kreiss with Raffin were good enough as charging cavs (Estelle's promotion is great). Real early on, Raffin alone does the job and the other two are good supports. So yeah, I don't think Narron actually saves turns.

He's still good of course, just he's not necessary to carry you.

Have you done chapter 18 yet, grandjackal? I honestly don't imagine a timely completion of that chapter without either Zeek or Narron. There's very little reason not to rely on Zeek though (just kill him with magic when he does show up on the other side of the battlefield).

Edited by Espinosa

Have you done chapter 18 yet, grandjackal? I honestly don't imagine a timely completion of that chapter without either Zeek or Narron. There's very little reason not to rely on Zeek though (just kill him with magic when he does show up on the other side of the battlefield).

Not yet, and really I'm thinking of restarting cause I want me a Dragon Arrow dammit. Why, what's chapter 18 like?

There's ballistae and monster reinforcements. I believe even a trained Narron/Zeek faces chances of death before they get to the boss (who's pretty monstrous). Raffin doesn't want anything to do in that part of the map because of effective damage so many things pack for him, and Kreiss/Estelle standing a chance muscling in isn't possible at all.

I wouldn't restart because of Dragon Arrow really. Just beat the game and you'll know how to improve your next run when you're done, otherwise you just might keep restarting forever.

Edited by Espinosa

Hey man, you have heard me blab on for eternity about FE12's prologue, I dig this sort of thing. I prefer little by little over full-ass redux of the entire game. Besides, I don't mind. Tear Ring's early and mid game is fun as hell.

So I broke down and picked up Narron this time because I figured Ezekiel could wait if I really need to recruit Leteena (Lee isn't THAT big a deal, and by the time I hit Ronin's route, I'll have a godlike Narron so the second Farheal won't be necessary). What bugs me about Narron is his acc, because it is straight up balls. Luckily I did fine my first run of chapter 2, but I wasn't liking my odds. Got 2 and a half levels (would have been 3, but I already risked death on a kill by then, didn't wanna risk another). Raffin got 2 as well due to the boss kill and just being a hardass in general. Will be using Sasha, who got a level in chapter 1 (is she like a trainee class? Cause she was gaining like above 50 exp a kill). Did not get Ronin the chapter 1 bosskill (Kate proc'd Continue with Estoc. Woops), butI figure his chances of finding levels are fine. Funny thing is, an enemy actually ignored Ronin in chapter 2 to attack Narron. Considering it caused Narron to be knocking on death's door, it caused him to miss a kill anyways on top of denying Ronin exp that would have leveled him up. That kinda annoyed me.

Kreiss, Estelle and Arkiss got a level each. Chapter 1 is done in 2 turns after the bridge opens, and Chapter 2 is doable in 7 turns. Plum costs a turn, but considering what Dance can possibly save us, we won't hold it against her. Not like everything isn't already dead by the time we recruit her.

Ya know, I always wondered who to give the WpLvl+ to. Estelle it helps her with her rocky start, but at the same time it could be given to Kreiss (who could probably ORKO things with it)...*double checks enemy stats* Yeah, lets him ORKO nearly every enemy in chapter 3 (added bonus of giving him the speed to double Mounted Thieves as well). On the other end, if Kreiss got a point in Strength, he can do this with Iron (well he can't double mounted thieves with iron, but by then you have nothing else to concentrate on so whatever), so then there's no reason not to give this to Estelle (Arkiss's base of 3 does not allow him the opportunity to wield the Killer Edge even after WpLvl+). Alternatively there is Sasha, who also has a bad start to get over, but Estell has better Str (though it doesn't make any difference between the two) and is mounted so naturally it's more useful on Estelle. Ronin doesn't care, Narron just wants levels. So...WpLvl+ seems pretty natural on Estelle, granted you got a +Str on Kreiss. Although, there is also Barts, who can use a Hatchet after a WpLvl+, since Garo sure as hell isn't using it. His WpLvl growth is bad, so you won't get the WpLvl most likely till after you promote, but it also brings Estelle closer to Armorslayer which as a mounted unit in maps where there are several annoying armor units, will come in handy. Thoughts?

Sasha's underlevelled, hence the level gain. Wait till you get Elite, then you can talk. She might count as being 0 tier though, seeing how she promotes to Peg Knight via an event. No idea how the game handles that stuff. In other FE games, you do get reduced exp gain if you're slaying a Bishop/Valk, or gain more yourself if you are one,and modifiers for other classes, so the same could apply here.

Narron does start out with 2 skill but give him a Slim Lance and he can poke enemies pretty accurately.

I don't like Kreiss, Estelle or Barts (I use Barts and Kreiss until there are no more unit slots for them left) so I tend to give my WLv+ to Mahter, letting her do some neat stuff while flying around (immediately useful). You're welcome to experiment what turns could be shaved off by giving it to somebody else, you're good at that sorta thing.

Narron does start out with 2 skill but give him a Slim Lance and he can poke enemies pretty accurately.

I wouldn't call 70s acc all that accurate. Does anyone know if this game uses 2 RNs or 1 for it's acc? Personally I'll say 2, it feels like it at least. Just weird to see 2 RNs in a game without weapon triangle.

I don't like Kreiss, Estelle or Barts (I use Barts and Kreiss until there are no more unit slots for them left) so I tend to give my WLv+ to Mahter, letting her do some neat stuff while flying around (immediately useful). You're welcome to experiment what turns could be shaved off by giving it to somebody else, you're good at that sorta thing.

Actually, Mahter is a great one cause it gives her 13 mt as she can use the Killer Edge. On top of better Str (at base at least) and speed...and flight, it also brings her closer to not only the Armorslayer (Great on a flier), but also the MOTHERFUCKING THUNDER SWORD, a weapon that would be absolutely terrific on her. With levels, I imagine you could actually realistically get the Harpy Staff with it.

Good call, Espinosa...

Finding Narron to be an overpowered first pick.

Not so sure how Ezekiel or the others would perform as first pick, but I can assume that Lee is quite useful.

Lionel seems to be good on paper though,