Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DLC part of the official site has opened, so I got one question answered. Seems that the FE7 team really is just called "Fire Emblem" there. I look forward to the names of the older games, but that will probably have to wait for weeks. Don't think the old teams will be cut, since version differences like this are usually pointed out in Iwata Asks when mentioned, but we see no such note there.

The Deadlord names are great. I also like how Algol is called Algol there, because for a generic boss, he is rather well-known (probably because of the level itself and his status as General Boltaxe II).

One more question from me. This time, it's regarding the cards you can read in the MU records. In that card, several information can be read there, and edited in the SpotPass options. Now, there are several options:

- An adjective for the MU. Nothing special there.

- The origin of the MU, featuring actual place names (Japanese municipalities in the JP version, and continents) and, mostly, FE place names (that has already been covered).

- The MU's true self which, in the JP version, ranges from normal choices like "high school student" to things like "alien" and "bishonen". The last few options are taken from the MU personalities in FE12, and the very last option is "Emblemer", a Japanese term describing FE players (according to Japanese Uncyclopedia, they're a group of people that do weird things like relying on weak soldiers to do battles and ignoring better meterials in favour of the cheap iron). Now, the question: Are they still there in the NA version and what are they translated to?

Paralogue 9 boss is Ruger.

Paralogue 10 boss is still Nelson.

Ruger reminds me of a certain FE6 myrmidon.

And what has happened to Holland, the unit in Paralogue 10 that Severa must speak to?

When you make your wireless card, you have the usual adjectives, a list of States, North and South America (nothing that is specifically Canada unfortunately), and Fire Emblem places (including those from the games we never got). As for the true self, you have things like High schooler, granny, teddy bear, alien, and Emblemer is indeed still available as well. It doesn't seem to be much different from the Japanese version.

Holland is still Holland, and Severa must speak to him and then Holland will run off, and Severa will join the team.

Oh, one more question for those who have seen the credits.

Is it Paris or Parion or Priam or what? I know it was the first in Japanese, but the second had a few days of use before the third gained popularity and now I don't know what it is. Can anyone confirm it?

I don't know if someone has mentioned this yet, but "Refresh" is "Relief"?

ReliefisRefresh.png

Edit: Never mind. I saw it in the spoilers.

Vincent just hasn't updated the mainsite yet.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Oh, one more question for those who have seen the credits.

Is it Paris or Parion or Priam or what? I know it was the first in Japanese, but the second had a few days of use before the third gained popularity and now I don't know what it is. Can anyone confirm it?

I guess 'officially' we have to wait for the spotpass to come out, but in the end credits of the game, under the Japanese Voice Actors section, Daisuke Ono, the voice of Paris(fan-name), is listed as voicing a "Priam" near the end of the list. Now given the fact that there isn't a Priam in the US VAs nor is there one as a boss or a NPC inside the main game itself, as well as the fact that said US Voice acting list was literally using the same names for characters, and it's pretty evident that Priam is the localized name.

I have no idea, however, where Parion came up.

Edited by Snike

Couldn't find this anywhere and it's still listed as needed in the OP

Slayer skills are now Breaker (Swordbreaker, Lancebreaker, Axebreaker, Bowbreaker, Tomebreaker)

Expert skills are now Faire (Swordfaire, Lancefaire, Axefaire, Bowfaire, Tomefaire)

When you make your wireless card, you have the usual adjectives, a list of States, North and South America (nothing that is specifically Canada unfortunately), and Fire Emblem places (including those from the games we never got). As for the true self, you have things like High schooler, granny, teddy bear, alien, and Emblemer is indeed still available as well. It doesn't seem to be much different from the Japanese version.

It looks like they have went through great lengths to make sure the Japanese-y stuff don't get cut. Now the fact that the game isn't StreetPass-compatible between regions is even weirder to me =/

I guess 'officially' we have to wait for the spotpass to come out, but in the end credits of the game, under the Japanese Voice Actors section, Daisuke Ono, the voice of Paris(fan-name), is listed as voicing a "Priam" near the end of the list. Now given the fact that there isn't a Priam in the US VAs nor is there one as a boss or a NPC inside the main game itself, as well as the fact that said US Voice acting list was literally using the same names for characters, and it's pretty evident that Priam is the localized name.

I have no idea, however, where Parion came up.

I believe that that the "Parion" is what the first person who found the name in the credits said. Gotta go fix up the list again to correct this oversight.

By the way, no-one seems to have commented on this Thor Hammer and Holsety being localized as "Mjölnir" and "Forseti", so I'll give my thoughts.

"Mjölnir"... I think it's safe to say literally EVERYONE called this. Guesses of this as a localization have been floating around even before Awakening existed. Plus, it just sounds cooler, and it's really the same thing.

"Forseti". Okay, I know there are going to be outcries of "They-Changed-It-Now-It-Sucks". But you know what, not only did I call this too, I really like it. Firstly, 'Forseti' is actually CLOSER to the original Katakana than 'Holsety' was. Holsety was just mistranslation, really, (I know it's technically the "official romanization", but really, they're not the most reliable of thinks. After all, they read ヴェイク as Wyck, ソール as Sort, and プラスル as Prasle on a Pokemon that CLEARLY has + motifs!) that happened to satch on with the fandom because it was the only thing they had to go on. Iteventually became so well-known few wanted it changed, despite it being wrong.

Sencondly, and more importantly, it's derived from the Norse god of justice. Which is awesome. Now I'm pucturing Levin saying Objection...

And regarding the Deadlords, I kinda like the change. German numbers might sound "exotic" in Japanese, but not so much to a westerner. My only gripe is that Draco isn't a Wyvern Lord, which is kinda silly. Equus being a Paladin is genius though. Some of them got the short end of the stick when it comes to cool animals though. To wit:

Mus (Rat), the General. [uhh... not exactly fitting for something huge.]

Bovis (Ox), the Bow Knight. [interesting]

Tigris (Tiger), the Warrior. [This one kinda makes sense.]

Lepus (Rabbit), the War Cleric. [Not a Taugel??]

Draco (Dragon), the Sniper. [Not a Wyvern Lord??]

Anguilla (Snake), the Dark Knight. [They have a draining skill, and they're "dark", so okay.]

Equus (Horse), the Paladin. [Perfect]

Ovis (Ram literally, though the zodiak says Goat), the Sage. [uhh...]

Simia (Monkey), the Swordmaster. [i guess they're agile]

Gallus (Rooster), the Sorcerer. [lol]

Canis (Dog), the Valkyrie. [um... what?]

Porcus (Pig/Boar), the Assassin. [Apparently pigs can be surprisingly deadly, so, uh, yeah?]

So not all really suit their classes, but they couldn't really switch them around, so I guess that's understandable. Funnily enough, another game I'm a fan of, The World Ends With You, also used zodiak theme naming. (In its brand names, though it's not quite as obvious as it is here, and also a few of its bosses. Ovis Cantus, Tigris Cantus and Angius Cantus come to mind.)

Edited by Big Klingy

"Mjölnir"... I think it's safe to say literally EVERYONE called this. Guesses of this as a localization have been floating around even before Awakening existed. Plus, it just sounds cooler, and it's really the same thing.

fucking finally holy shit

I will die happy.

By the way, no-one seems to have commented on this Thor Hammer and Holsety being localized as "Mjölnir" and "Forseti", so I'll give my thoughts.

"Forseti". Okay, I know there are going to be outcries of "They-Changed-It-Now-It-Sucks". But you know what, not only did I call this too, I really like it. Firstly, 'Forseti' is actually CLOSER to the original Katakana than 'Holsety' was. Holsety was just mistranslation, really, (I know it's technically the "official romanization", but really, they're not the most reliable of thinks. After all, they read ヴェイク as Wyck, ソール as Sort, and プラスル as Prasle on a Pokemon that CLEARLY has + motifs!) that happened to satch on with the fandom because it was the only thing they had to go on. Iteventually became so well-known few wanted it changed, despite it being wrong.

Sencondly, and more importantly, it's derived from the Norse god of justice. Which is awesome. Now I'm pucturing Levin saying Objection...

I agree with your sentiment on Forseti. I like it, because Holsety just didn't sound like a good name. Sounds a bit like engrish, to be honest.

Also I approve of Levinworth.

Hadn't really ever seen it mentioned at all but

[spoiler=Mild FE3/FE12 spoilers]The five spheres on the Fire Emblem in this game all have new names now. Based on the names, I've at least deduced what each of them was.

Argent- Lightsphere

Sable- Darksphere

Gules- Lifesphere

Azure- Geosphere

Vert- Starsphere

Hadn't really ever seen it mentioned at all but

[spoiler=Mild FE3/FE12 spoilers]The five spheres on the Fire Emblem in this game all have new names now. Based on the names, I've at least deduced what each of them was.

Argent- Lightsphere

Sable- Darksphere

Gules- Lifesphere

Azure- Geosphere

Vert- Starsphere

This reminds me of Jeanne d'Arc so hard and I'm not even completely sure why.

Anyone who complains about Forseti clearly doesn't pay attention to FE4 naming conventions.

Man if I ever make that Thor MU I miiiiiiight just have to go Demon Fighter since Thor with no Mjolnir is ????

FE names have a history of not following conventional spellings. At least in the JP versions.

[spoiler=Mild FE3/FE12 spoilers]

Azure- Geosphere

Vert- Starsphere

Wait, aren't

Geosphere green and Starsphere blue?

Anyone who complains about Forseti clearly doesn't pay attention to FE4 naming conventions.

Man if I ever make that Thor MU I miiiiiiight just have to go Demon Fighter since Thor with no Mjolnir is ????

YES BUT LUMI IT SAYS HOLSETY IN THE GLORIOUS NIHONGO SEISEN NO KEIFU