Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*laughs like a maniac*

An, so I have a PROBLEM?, Seph? I have a PROBLEM? because I prefer scanlations?

And you're gonna call me retarded because I stand up for it?!

It's my opinion, and you have NO RIGHT to degrade me for it, you troll.

I can say now that I've met WORSE than you. And you know what?

I overcame that rage.

I befriended those trolls.

The lessons I've learned in the Pokemon fanbase I carry with me here, in the Fire Emblem fanbase.

So go on. Pursue me. Do your worst.

It's my opinion, and you have NO RIGHT to degrade me for it, you troll.

I can say now that I've met WORSE than you. And you know what?

I overcame that rage.

I befriended those trolls.

The lessons I've learned in the Pokemon fanbase I carry with me here, in the Fire Emblem fanbase.

So go on. Pursue me. Do your worst.

ok

If you hate the names, then stick with them in the FE 4/5 forums, but as far as discussion of the names goes here, it doesn't make sense to use the fan names in a translated game no matter what your opinion of the names are, because it's confusing and no one will care about what you're talking about. Otherwise why don't I just call Titania Tiamat, because the Babylonian goddess is more fitting for her character than the Shakespearian fairy queen?

So what do you suggest I do, then? Suck it up and use them anyways, just like the rest of this forum?!

You all just taking the names as too literal directions, like any other way of saying them just proges you to be a nostalgiafag or something.

You know what I'd like? I'd like people to use their scanlated names IN SPITE of this.

Yeah pretty much

同感です。

Or you can play the unpached ROM. That's an option too.

*laughs like a maniac*

No, we're gonna call you a weeaboo. An even bigger one than me.

Edited by shadowofchaos

If you hate the names, then stick with them in the FE 4/5 forums, but as far as discussion of the names goes here, it doesn't make sense to use the fan names in a translated game no matter what your opinion of the names are, because it's confusing and no one will care about what you're talking about. Otherwise why don't I just call Titania Tiamat, because the Babylonian goddess is more fitting for her character than the Shakespearian fairy queen?

Okay then.

How about we theorize whether Paris is Ike and Tiamat's kid?

See, it's still easily identifiable as to who I'm talking about. If I said Celice or Leaf, will it be confusing? No, it's a personal preference.

Like how some people are split about whether to say Catalina or Katarina, or Levn or Levin.

Do my words hurt? Because that's how it feels for me, too.

jesus fuck every single time a name argument comes up i'm just going to repaste this

1YHAr.png

i'm really not seeing the big difference

well as previously mentioned in the source topic Legault sucks compared to his other iterations, but I suppose that's besides the point. Moving on.

Special Dance remains the same, assuming that it hasn't been updated yet.

Slow Start is Slow Burn, if it is the level 5 Dark Knight skill. See special dance disclaimer.

Also in an off-topic and useless note, if you do a class demo on a unit paired with their significant other (S-rank), their character portrait blushes. Not sure if that was known yet so I'd might as well share.

Is there anything else that's needed from the full game minus spotpass/DLC?

Okay then.

See, it's still easily identifiable as to who I'm talking about. If I said Celice or Leaf, will it be confusing? No, it's a personal preference.

Like how some people are split about whether to say Catalina or Katarina, or Levn or Levin.

It's not a matter of not being identifiable.

It's the fact that it's the OFFICIAL translation. Meaning it takes precedence over the fan translation.

if nothing else i'm probably just going to use the names in the fe4/5 patch out of habit but it's not like i really give a shit what other people call them, i know what they're talking about ;/

if nothing else i'm probably just going to use the names in the fe4/5 patch out of habit but it's not like i really give a shit what other people call them, i know what they're talking about ;/

I really don't care, either. I'm just sick of all the butthurt that comes from changing names.

To keep on topic, I'm really liking all of the name localizations so far. A lot of them are pretty genius.

Okay then.

Okay. The way this forum, as a whole, handles the names is, when an official English name gets revealed, it's treated as the new, most relevant name. Now, not everybody is going to use it, but standard practice is, that's the name that's going to be used on the information pages, in most members' posts, and most importantly, in the game.

The reason we use the official English names is, this site is not just a forum. It is an information site. As in, when somebody is playing the game, and they want information, they come here. If somebody that has absolutely no idea about what the Japanese\Fan\Unofficial names are, they won't be able to get the relevant information they want, which defeats the entire purpose of this site.

You can't honestly expect every single English player to memorize a list of alternate names for every single character, item, and battle in the game, just to please people that like the old names. It doesn't make sense, and it doesn't work. It would be much easier for you to just start using the actual, in game names of the items. It's not like it's that hard, since you'll be playing the English game, and you'll be seeing the English names. You'll get used to it far easier than someone else would get used to names that actually don't appear anywhere in the game. After all, this forum isn't the important part, the game is.

The game is the thing that we have to think about when it comes to these names, and it is the think that dictates the information on this site.

Thank you for siding with my opinion for once, even if it wasn't on purpose.

I guess I should start to forgive you, Camtech059.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

@Struck: Honestly, I understand that some people use this site for info, but that's mainly the homepage part of this site, not the forums.

If they wanted to ask questions, they should be prepared for any kinds of answers, whether inconsistent, wrongly translated, or even trollish. Beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by Trivialgent

Okay then.

Actually, I don't even care because it's just a game, and these are just names. And if I didn't know about the name changes in FE9, I would be confused about who Tiamat is, just like I wouldn't know who Kilroy, Senerio, Chap, Stella, Dalahowe, or any of the other people are, because I simply didn't go to any fansites back when the game came out. This is just cluttering up a thread that is all about finding out the official translations so the site will be accurate to the English version of the game, that most people who come to this site are looking for information on. They shouldn't have to look up a chart to figure out that the Japanese Swanchika = English Helswath.

Thank you for siding with my opinion for once, even if it wasn't on purpose.

I guess I should start to forgive you, Camtech059.

Stahp. I can't take it.

lolololololol.gif

He's not taking sides. He's being indifferent.

Considering how those games have a translation patch... using Japanese/fan names will work fine because people will know who the hell you're talking about.

And then you start using names like Soanvolke, Kilroy, Brad, Marika, and Asray. Unfortunately most people that don't have your power level will not have any freaking idea who you're talking about.

I should take the FE4 translation patch source Twilkitri gave me and just make a patch calling everyone "Vergil".

Edited by shadowofchaos

@Struck: Honestly, I understand that some people use this site for info, but that's mainly the homepage part of this site, not the forums.

If they wanted to ask questions, they should be prepared for any kinds of answers, whether inconsistent, wrongly translated, or even trollish. Beggars can't be choosers.

Actually, for the most part, purposely giving out answers to upset people and make them angry, is not accepted. Not here. If you intend to give out "troll answers", purposely, you'll probably just end up banned.

This is an information site, a large part of this forum is also used for gathering information. That's in fact one of it's primary goals. To say they should expect any random answer anybody feels like giving them, even if it's a lie or completely idiotic, is not acceptable. That's not how it works here.

I'm not saying using the older names for the past game items qualifies for this, of course. It's fine if you use them. Just don't needlessly antagonize others because of the terms they use, and it'll probably be fine.

Regardless of what kind of response I get, I'm going to stop responding. I'm just helping make this thread go far off topic, and for that, I apologize.

Edited by Strunk

...I'll submit to your argument, Struck.

But I will not change my stance on the names, or start using the NoA translations.

And on your note about me just making an account to bitch, I'll have you know that my the root of my grudge lies deeper than that, but has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

Hel is a part of Norse mythology, so it's not totally out of the blue. I saw some theory that breaks down the etymology of Ichival, where ichii = yew, and val = shortened for valley. Yew is also valued as a material for bows. Otherwise I can't think of other reasons why it was changed to Yewfelle but I'm more or less indifferent to the change.

And I suppose Swanchika would remind people too much of hitler

I always pronounced Ichival with a hard second I and ch as a k sound, sounds more awesome that way imo. Yewfelle looks and sounds stupid any way you pronounce it.

Also, while breaking down the word translation sounds cool on paper, it just looks incredibly stupid. It'd be like turning thorhammer into NorseGodUtilityObject, or gae bolg into bellyspear.

Edited by Constable Reggie