Awakening Localized Name Discovery Thread

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ced... lulz

Larcei - Larceny...

I'm surprised at how many don't like/didn't expect Alvis>Arvis... (Xenoblade yay) even though I prefer Alvis

What I'm also surprised at is the fact that Eyvel and Mareeta are untouched...

Raquesis is weird, since Lachesis is one of the sisters of fate, her name had one of those 'meanings' that Nintendo gets off to

I assume Lewyn = Levin in pronunciation, but they've gone and made me sick of that w=v spelling

and as far as Skasaha=Ulster goes... although not necessary, or even expected, I'm willing to bet they've never seen the map of the Thracian Peninsula

IMO, if anything, "Crusader" probably fits the "Holy War" theme better; "Holy War" is synonymous with "Crusade" after all.

"Holy Warrior" just sounds like Engrish to me X D

In terms of personal preferences, I was a tiny bit sad they dumped the "good and evil" theme with the Grima and Naga tomes. In the Japanese version, it was a direct parallel to FE8's Dark (evil) Stone and Sacred (good) Stones. That said, the theme is a bit cheesy, so no big loss.

I'm betting the SpotPass descriptions aren't written by the FE13 localization team at all. It's possible that whoever wrote "Genealogy of the Holy War" and "crusader" were some outsider who decided to use fan names (it's not like NoA staff don't use the internet at all) because they don't have access to the localized version of the game or didn't bother to check.

I don't have the NA game, but I don't think "exalted warriors" would be capitalized, like how "exalt" and "first exalt" didn't get captalized.

To add to this, look at the Spotpass notification for this week.

Anna says that Lost Bloodlines is full of PoR and RD characters to recruit, when, you know, it's basically FE4/5 vs FE11/12, with no PoR/RD guys at all.

The Spotpass notifications areeeen't too accurate.

IMO, if anything, "Crusader" probably fits the "Holy War" theme better; "Holy War" is synonymous with "Crusade" after all.

"Holy Warrior" just sounds like Engrish to me X D

I definitely agree, to the point that I'm kind of disappointed that nobody refers to the game as "Genealogy of the Crusades". :P

Well, I'm ok with most of the translations of the Jugdral names with a few exceptions.

Skasaha - Ulster

Sety- Ced

For Ced, I would have liked Seti, Set or whatever. Although... I'm still pronouncing Ced as "Se-ti". So oh well...? I guess what I'm saying is that that I find the spelling weird.

Now Ulster... I get where the translator is coming from but I would have prefer Scathach. Who cares if Scathach is a girl's name? It would have been awesome if Skasaha changed to Scathach. Larcei gets a pass for being similar to Lakche (though would have been awesome if it was Luchtaine/Luchta). I guess what I'm saying is Skasaha to Ulster is more mind-jarring than Sety to Ced.

Other than those two, the rest of the names seems ok. Though I will admit being Chinese (though Cantonese speaking and not Mandarin speaking) and playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors and reading the Three Kingdom novels, seeing Cuan as Quan makes me want to pronounce his name in Mandarin. Though I always did pronounce Cuan as "Ku-an", so pronouncing his as "Chu-an" now isn't too big of a departure.

Edited by alarnis92

As far as Quan goes, I'm thinking it's a stealth reference to the kana used for his name, which sounds a lot like "Q-On."

I can understand the reluctance to use Gaelic names for Ayra's kids, seeing how most folks have no clue how to pronounce them.

Finally, I notice the Nodion > Nordion change I mentioned earlier hasn't been noted yet. Too insignificant, perhaps? :unsure:

Yeah, main reason I don't like Arvis.is Xenoblade. y;

I assume you at least expected this since you are apparently familiar with XB, and I wasn't terribly curious why are people surprised/loathe, rather pointing out that they were

Edited by Soledai

"Deal with it?" Honestly...

I assume you at least expected this since you are apparently familiar with XB, and I wasn't really asking why are people surprised/loathe, rather pointing out that they were

I posted from my phone and realized I was being a touch too antagonistic afterward, and I edited the post when I could again access it... six minutes before your response. Pity I couldn't have been available sooner.

Heh.

I acknowledge Arvis is more of a name than Alvis is, it's just disappointed me slightly for the same reason as Cyas -> Saias (rather than Scias). Yeah, it's probably a better localization, but it means I don't get to think of respectively Xenoblade and Ys Seven anymore whenever I see them. And I love those games, so wah. :<

Edited by Iridium

I posted from my phone and realized I was being a touch too antagonistic afterward, and I edited the post when I could again access it... six minutes before your response. Pity I couldn't have been available sooner.

Heh.

I acknowledge Arvis is more of a name than Alvis is, it's just disappointed me slightly for the same reason as Cyas -> Saias (rather than Scias). Yeah, it's probably a better localization, but it means I don't get to think of respectively Xenoblade and Ys Seven anymore whenever I see them. And I love those games, so wah. :<

Well, in deference to your editing, I have edited mine too, so no harm done

Like I said in my initial post, while Arvis may be legit, I still fancy Alvis, and the same rule applies to Cyas, since those names are burned into my memories, I guess in Cyas' case, the pronunciation is still the same... *sigh*

(OT:I liked YS 7 too, my friend)

I acknowledge Arvis is more of a name than Alvis is

What's the etymology for Arvis? Legitimately curious here since I thought it would be Alvis all along due to it being a Norse reference (dude gets a whole poem in the Poetic Edda okay it was Alviss but close enough :B) and I thought it would've been in line with their usual schemes. I don't particularly mind Arvis but I'm interested in where it came from if it's supposedly more of a name than Alvis.

It stems from Germanic Arvin, and means 'friend of the people.'

Both work for very different reasons, but Arvis is more commonly a first name while Alvis is more commonly a surname.

Edited by Iridium

Just a few more minutes until the update, where (in theory) we'll be getting Lost Bloodlines 2 and Infinite Regalia. I'll handle transcribing the names for the Gaiden characters when they show up, so if Infinite Regalia shows up, could someone find out Eltshan's name after beating the chapter?

EDIT: Scratch that, it seems that EXPonential Growth is the only thing available today. Neither Lost Bloodlines 2, nor Infinite Regalia are available.

EDIT2: Now that the SpotPass for this week is available, I can add the new locale.

P19: Conqueror's Whetstone

Edited by Shadow Stalker X

Hard to say.

In the chapter script, he told Chrom his heart was no longer beating, but his will to live has not diminished, so it's hard to say whether or not he's a zombie.

Hm... That sounds more like he

lost his way and has no goal or purpose to follow, but still wants to live.

Then again, I'm probably wrong.

They're just too POWERFUL to let this game end.

Also, hey, the Merchant class isn't listed as having a localized name on the main site's name chart, for whatever reason. It's still merchant, though.

They're just too POWERFUL to let this game end.

Also, hey, the Merchant class isn't listed as having a localized name on the main site's name chart, for whatever reason. It's still merchant, though.

Looked myself, and surprised I missed that. Though since the name is essentially unchanged, I don't think it's a big priority to change.

On a side note, it's pretty unlikely, but has anyone managed to get to 99,999 Renown? If so, could you verify the Ultimate Emblem's localized name? As far as items go, that is the only one left.

Someone on Gamefaqs said it's Supreme Emblem, and the description is "The mark of a hero of the highest renown.". I can't confirm myself though

My friend has gathered 14k renown from killing Hector's spotpass team repeatedly over a weekend.

Though I can't say he or I have the motivation to do that just for the Renown.

I mean, I could maybe grind Renown by buying Mist's services over and over and over again, but I'd need to be watching a movie or something while I do, otherwise the boredom will kill me XD

I'm about 6-7k right now, so I'd need to buy her services...at least 1880 times.

._.

Someone on Gamefaqs said it's Supreme Emblem, and the description is "The mark of a hero of the highest renown.". I can't confirm myself though

Well, I suppose having just one source should be enough for now. And if we're wrong, we can always ask Vincent to edit the site later.

Well, now that the Lost Bloodlines 2 chapter is out, I've compiled the list of localized Gaiden names.

Clair

Boey

Mycen

Luthier

Deen

Valbar

Nomah

Clive

Quick Slash is now Aggresor

Just completed Infinite Regalia, and Eltshan is now Eldigan.

Edited by Shadow Stalker X