Fire Emblem 6: Anniversary

Chocolate Kitty

77 members have voted

1. 1. Read the post on the last page, what's your opinion?

• I LOVE IT!!!!! :D
    • It sounds interesting enough, why not.
    • Meh, idk, no opinion at this point.
    • I'm not really a fan, but I'll see where it goes I guess.
    • I HATE IT!!!!! D:<

Nope, They are charcters from Hasha no Tsurugi (Not sure about Gertrude though).

Celdia is a Peg Knight, and Kilmar is basically Karel. (I really do hope he doesn't have the same stats as in the manga...)

Also, it's quite a lot of time since I read it.

Ah.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really understood what motivates people to change a character's name after a fan translation has been around as long as the FE6 one has. Even the FE4/5 translations, topics still pop up about revamping them and... changinbg the character names. I just don't see the appeal.

I've never really understood what motivates people to change a character's name after a fan translation has been around as long as the FE6 one has. Even the FE4/5 translations, topics still pop up about revamping them and... changinbg the character names. I just don't see the appeal.

Well sometimes, in rare instances, the official localization can get it right where the fan translations failed.

Take the blue haired merc in FE6. Fan translation is Oujay. But official has him as Ogier. Which is the name of one of the characters(Ogier the Dane) from the Song of Roland, which FE6/7 are highly inspired by. Indicating that it is the correct translation.

But most of the time the localizations are fucking stupid. Like how Sigurd became Zigludo.

@GK

Gertrude is Garret,

Elphin is probably Celdia or Kilmar.

Asthol is Kruzard maybe.

All that are purely from the character ordering of show up or in chapter.

only thing that was correct lol

Garret is now a female berserker.(Now lets watch and see how angry the crowd becomes over a completely unimportant character being changed)

I actually just seemed to blank on astor's existance

elphin is not playable

Idgaf about this name shit, they're names, get over it.

fegirls

Oh, I just love that one! <3 Can't wait to see it in the hack. :) :) :) (But you should probably rescript it so that the boob-bounce is at least 30 seconds long)

Edited by eCut

Uh-oh. It looks like Harken is going to suffer from Midir syndrome. Poor guy. He'll get better, but scripted low crits bite.

Kilmar should totally have his manga stats. Level 20 Swordmaster with 11 speed is perfectly reasonable.

Well sometimes, in rare instances, the official localization can get it right where the fan translations failed.

Take the blue haired merc in FE6. Fan translation is Oujay. But official has him as Ogier. Which is the name of one of the characters(Ogier the Dane) from the Song of Roland, which FE6/7 are highly inspired by. Indicating that it is the correct translation.

But most of the time the localizations are fucking stupid. Like how Sigurd became Zigludo.

Also, Durban is really Turpin.

Even though Turpin is really a War Monk.

Garret will probably be far more popular as a Femzerker.

Edited by TendaSlime

Doroth need snugh snugh Well I hope this project ends up well, I've been dying to play FE6 with fresh coat of paint ever since seeing Luigi's work. Again, wish ya good luck and things look very well :D

Couldn't you have it so that Lalum and Elphin are like Ninian and Nils and swap out as playable characters from time to time? I just don't want to see that harp animation go to waste...

Looks like quite the interesting project. Seems like you guys have a lot of ideas in stort to expand the Elibe universe even more.

Not sure how I feel about removing the road split, though...

Idgaf about this name shit, they're names, get over it.

Names are going to appear in combat and in numerous dialogs, affecting the way we percieve the characters, and their conversations.

A poor name is going to stick out like a sore thumb just as much as a poor portrait, a barbaric sentence or a unbalanced map. So I'm not really sure why it's so difficult for project makers to take any criticism regarding that part of the writing process...?

Right now, the current set is a mix of three completely different courses of localization (localizing = changing a name so it sounds good in the output language)

- Boris, Cathy and Duke are good examples of localization. Louis is a bit of a stretch, but it works. The overall pronunciation and meaning are kept, and it doesn't sound like Japanese.

Here, the course taken is to actually localize the names so they sound like proper English.

- Then you have Rutoga and Shanni which are the opposite of a localization, by reverting the English phonetics of their name, and going back to the primitive katakana spelling.

Here, the course taken is to not localize at all and simply copy the katakana spelling.

- And then most of the other characters, including people like Geese have their name simply taken from someone else's localization effort. Namely, the current translation patch.

If you don't pick one of the three and just stick to it, the whole cas will just look and sound inconsistent.

Studying the subject myself, I know that it takes a lil' bit of research and creativity to come up with things that fit well. But if you put effort into being consistent in the gameplay or sprite quality, I'm sure you can at least decide which path you're going to follow with localizing the names.

PS: By the way, Ogier is an actual name related to a folklore character. Edgar not only has little to no phonological similarity, but it under-translates the meaning that's put behind the name, so I do suggest to take some time ad rethink that one.

Right now, Edgar is about as appropriate as changing Perceval into Peter or Zephyr into Septimus. (Or even worse, Sephiroth.)

Edited by Miacis

The only thing I'm really concerned about is using Brawl as a source for Rutoga and then ignoring Deek completely

Well, both are horrible examples of what a lack of communication between localization teams can do, so ignoring both of them would have been even better.

If that's what you meant by linking this, then yes, that is indeed a pretty good example of what inconsistent localization can do. In both the fan name and NOA columns, actually.

Now it's up to you guys to see if you intend to remake and fix even IntSys's mistakes, or just repeat them. That goes for graphics, gameplay and dialogs of course, but also names.

Edited by Miacis

... What?

Not sure if that's what you meant by linking this, but yes, that is indeed a pretty good example of what inconsistent localization can do.

Yes, inconsistent localisation can be pretty fantastic. Thank you for agreeing with me.