So, if Tiki is in this game...

Cookies

Well, Nagi is female, and the original Naga is male. In Awakening, Naga is female, so I suppose that Nagi just changed her name after she maybe got her (his?) memories back.

Naga was always female. It's just that somehow she was mistaken for a guy in Archanea until Awakening.

I suppose not many Archaneans visit Jugdral?

Naga was always female. It's just that somehow she was mistaken for a guy in Archanea until Awakening.

I suppose not many Archaneans visit Jugdral?

I wonder... I have yet to make a full search, but people like Gotoh were around when Naga was still alive the first time around. If he were to still refer to Naga as a male then... I have no idea...

EDIT: Well, after some checking, I found also Xane was around back then. And he definitely refers Naga as a male.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Now here is the thing, do they refer to Naga as male, or do they refer to her with gender neutral pronouns which were translated as male pronouns in the fan translation because of a lack of gender neutral ones other than "it"?

I don't think they go into Naga in Shadow Dragon, Nagi aside.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Awakening site says that Naga has appeared as both genders in the past. So it is possible she did appear as a dude to the humans of Akaneia for whatever reason? Wouldn't explain Gotoh and Xane, who were fellow Divines, though.

Now here is the thing, do they refer to Naga as male, or do they refer to her with gender neutral pronouns which were translated as male pronouns in the fan translation because of a lack of gender neutral ones other than "it"?

I don't think they go into Naga in Shadow Dragon, Nagi aside.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Awakening site says that Naga has appeared as both genders in the past. So it is possible she did appear as a dude to the humans of Akaneia for whatever reason? Wouldn't explain Gotoh and Xane, who were fellow Divines, though.

It could be, but then Xane also refers to Naga as "King of the Divine Dragons". If Naga had been referred to with neutral pronouns, then why use "King" instead of "Ruler" or something similar?

I have heard that a closer translation would be "Lord of the Divine Dragons" actually. Not sure where I hear that from and from who though, sorry.

However, I think back when the patch was made, all this Naga gender stuff hadn't come up yet. She was thought to be a dude, and him being a chick in Jugdral was just "yeah OK".

I think Emmeryn was "Holy King" in the Japanese version of Awakening despite being a chick, so...I dunno.

Sorry if I am not much help.

I have heard that a closer translation would be "Lord of the Divine Dragons" actually. Not sure where I hear that from and from who though, sorry.

However, I think back when the patch was made, all this Naga gender stuff hadn't come up yet. She was thought to be a dude, and him being a chick in Jugdral was just "yeah OK".

I think Emmeryn was "Holy King" in the Japanese version of Awakening despite being a chick, so...I dunno.

Sorry if I am not much help.

I wonder what the actual Japanese script says...

Emmeryn being called "Holy King" is due to it being an actual title, used regardless of gender. When it's not needed, they do use "Queen" to refer to her.

I wonder what the actual Japanese script says...

Emmeryn being called "Holy King" is due to it being an actual title, used regardless of gender. When it's not needed, they do use "Queen" to refer to her.

It is Holy Queen in Japanese

The name chart on the site says "Holy King/Queen" in the fan names section, which I presume is translated from the Japanese. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a gender neutral term, maybe "Holy Ruler" would be a more accurate translation? I dunno.

I do know that when Emmeryn was first revealed, folks called her title "Holy King" and the change to "Holy Queen" came a bit later.

Edited by Otherarrow

Naga was definitely referred in a gender-neutral way in the Archanea games (which I'm told is very common in Japanese). If Naga was ever called a "he" in the Archanea games, it's because we thought Naga was a dude.

It's easy to get mistaken, 'cause Naga's called the Divine Dragon "King" and appears as a giant male warrior in FE3's intro. However, the Japanese word for "king" is gender-neutral (as Otherarrow mentioned, it can also be interpreted as "lord" or "ruler") and presumably the male warrior was the in-game historians' mistake.

Meanwhile, Emmeryn's title was definitely "Holy King" in the Japanese version, which can also be read as "Holy Ruler" (and thus interpreted as "Holy Queen"). There are Japanese words for "queen", but they aren't used for her title, likely because it's a title shared by countless Ylissean rulers, male and female.

Back on topic, in FE12, Bantu actually mentions leaving to help the oppressed Manaketes and I believe Nowi was originally oppressed and she knew of Bantu, so maybe he tried to help her once.

Edited by VincentASM

With naga It kind of makes sense that they could change their gender because they have the power to perform astral projection to the human world thousands of years after death.

Naga was definitely referred in a gender-neutral way in the Archanea games (which I'm told is very common in Japanese). If Naga was ever called a "he" in the Archanea games, it's because we thought Naga was a dude.

It's easy to get mistaken, 'cause Naga's called the Divine Dragon "King" and appears as a giant male warrior in FE3's intro. However, the Japanese word for "king" is gender-neutral (as Otherarrow mentioned, it can also be interpreted as "lord" or "ruler") and presumably the male warrior was the in-game historians' mistake.

Meanwhile, Emmeryn's title was definitely "Holy King" in the Japanese version, which can also be read as "Holy Ruler" (and thus interpreted as "Holy Queen"). There are Japanese words for "queen", but they aren't used for her title, likely because it's a title shared by countless Ylissean rulers, male and female.

Back on topic, in FE12, Bantu actually mentions leaving to help the oppressed Manaketes and I believe Nowi was originally oppressed and she knew of Bantu, so maybe he tried to help her once.

One of her random experience comments is that she made a new friend by the name of Banta or something. She can't remember exactly. So presumably, he's still alive.