Lousy Script?

As far as Fire Emblem games go, does anyone else think this one just has a terrible script? The supports are pretty lousy, the game script is just downright terrible in some spots, and the ending script is horrid.

One of the things I really liked about the other games is the special endings you can get depending on your supports and stuff and you get a nice wrap up of everyone's life - in contrast the Path of Radiance script is just like "Hurray we did it!" at the end.

And closing with Sephiran giving his little doomsday prediction? Yuck. Someone back me up here.

Edited by Arteris

i believe we've already had this discussion.

you can't really judge completely on the PoR script. while it was made a game and stuff, you can actually tell that the MAIN storyline is the one in RD. since the game continued on in RD, you really can't have any type of "special endings."

the way i see it, PoR is just the introduction of RD because the storyline wouldn't function quite as smoothly as if there wasn't PoR.

the storyline and whatever may not be the most amazing, but it gets the job done, since the only purpose of PoR is to prepare everything for RD.

As far as Fire Emblem games go, does anyone else think this one just has a terrible script? The supports are pretty lousy, the game script is just downright terrible in some spots, and the ending script is horrid.

One of the things I really liked about the other games is the special endings you can get depending on your supports and stuff and you get a nice wrap up of everyone's life - in contrast the Path of Radiance script is just like "Hurray we did it!" at the end.

And closing with Sephiran giving his little doomsday prediction? Yuck. Someone back me up here.

All the things you criticize are what make it BETTER then RD.

Wow, I really didn't expect that.

Come on, the awful speeches and stuff? Ike popping off to Sanaki after they "play games" with him and Elincia is a prime example of how bad it gets, I thought.

And by the way, what is with characters saying "........" I'm so sick of seeing that in every game! Can't we write so that characters have a response to something?

I tend to skip all of the cutscenes during my last few playthrough to quickly go through the game, so I miss out on all your problems.

I do find the constant full stops to be annoying, but not in this. I find them annoying when used in RPing and on the Internet in general.

Wow, I really didn't expect that.

Come on, the awful speeches and stuff? Ike popping off to Sanaki after they "play games" with him and Elincia is a prime example of how bad it gets, I thought.

And by the way, what is with characters saying "........" I'm so sick of seeing that in every game! Can't we write so that characters have a response to something?

It's a Fire Emblem forum. Duh.

I guess we think different. I liked Ike's little speeches, and I don't see what was so wretched about Sanaki's dialogue when she was messing with Ike.

"...........................................................................

................................................................................

." is a line repeated a thousand times over in almost every game with dialogue ever made. Not an example of gewd writing, but nothing new, and it didn't destroy Radiance.

Ike's reaction to Sanaki's teasing was perfectly in character, I thought, since Ike had already been established as being idealistic but impolite at best.

In other words, it would have been worse if Ike HADN'T reacted to Sanaki that way.

On the other hand, just as it rubbed quite a few people inside the game the wrong way, I can't really blame anyone playing the game if it rubbed them the wrong way too.

Edited by Paper Jam

I didn't have much of a problem with FE9's dialog. It was the first game where the lesser characters were actually given a chance to speak. In the previous titles, incidental characters would get two or three lines and never show up outside of supports.

FE9's script beats that of FE10

and the console FEs' scripts are on another level compared to the GBA's scripts imo

(have not played FE5 and under)

Now FE8 has the worst script from the ones I've played...

in Ephriam's route, I swear he says "Lyon is my friend" like a million times for no reason. (There are other problems, but kinda lazy to point them out.)

FE9's script beats that of FE10

and the console FEs' scripts are on another level compared to the GBA's scripts imo

(have not played FE5 and under)

Now FE8 has the worst script from the ones I've played...

in Ephriam's route, I swear he says "Lyon is my friend" like a million times for no reason. (There are other problems, but kinda lazy to point them out.)

FE10's script beats all others entirely.

FE6 fails miserably, even to FE8.

FE7 and 9 were both about average to me.

FE4 so far is pretty good.

FE6 fails miserably, even to FE8.

FE7 and 9 were both about average to me.

FE4 so far is pretty good.

when I played FE6, all I could think of was, "these translators did an awesome job on this patch!" You can't really blame them because its not really the official translation of the game. Unless you're talking about the original Japanese script sucking...

when I played FE6, all I could think of was, "these translators did an awesome job on this patch!" You can't really blame them because its not really the official translation of the game. Unless you're talking about the original Japanese script sucking...

The story was horrible. No hate to the translators (unless they made a new story), I thank them for doing it. The story just sucked.

No, the FE6 translation is about as accurate as you can get. Fire Lizard did make one minor script change that I know of, but still.... =/

FE6 cribbed much of its content from the original Fire Emblem, which I'm willing to bet is why many of the people here don't care for it.

Edited by Musashi

No way. FE9 had more detailed and (how shall I put this) alive writing. It felt more realistic and engaging.

Not to say FE10 had a bad script or story. The story was great, it was just how it was written...I was kind of disappointed, actually, because I expected the same quality of dialogues.

I guess, though, in the end it's all about preference. I for one prefer the long and more detailed pieces of dialogue found in FE7 and 9. *Shrug*