• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(AFTER XINNY)

Well, looks like things were just about done here. She saw Elaine heading towards them in tears ("Did someone die or something?"), so it was just about time to get finished up.

Rapha stabs Mage in the FACE (moves to the left of the mage) with her Iron LANCE.

MADE OF IRON

Edited by Refa

(before Roofa I suppose)

Xenah felt as if something ill happened, she hoped she was just overthinking things, but then saw Elaine, the captured girl, coming their way in tears. She didn't know what happened exactly, but it was already crushing her morale thoroughly.

"...open a path for the girl, curse this wretched place tomorrow." She mumbled to herself, too tired to think for her own. She moved towards the mage that showed his face at last (3,1), spell at ready. Xenah was tired of fighting these soldiers as it was. "You're overmanned, if you don't want to die, and hold something in this life dear, drop your tomes and surrender." She said, confronting the mage if he weren't to yield.

[spoiler=Player Phase]BEGIN PLAYER PHASE

Elaine moves to (3,4)

Gordin moves to (3,1)

Gordin escapes!

Trinket moves to (3,3)

Trinket uses Heal on Rapha

Rapha regains 13 HP!

Trinket gains 22 EXP!

Trinket gains 2 Staff EXP!

Xenah moves to (3,1)

Xenah attacks the Mage with Lightning!

Xenah hits, dealing 3 damage!

The Mage counterattacks, dealing 6 damage!

Xenah gains 11 EXP!

Xenah gains 1 Light EXP!

Rapha moves to (4,1)

Rapha attacks the Mage with Iron Lance!

Rapha hits, dealing 9 damage and KOing the Mage!

Rapha gains 37 EXP!

Rapha gains 2 Lance EXP!

Rapha levels up!

+1 Skl

+1 Spe

Felix moves to (1,1)

Felix escapes!

END PLAYER PHASE

[spoiler=Other Phase]BEGIN OTHER PHASE

Leona moves to (3,5)

[spoiler=For Elaine's Ears Only]I will kill anyone if it keeps my people safe. You are no exception.

Regan moves to (1,1)

Regan escapes!

END OTHER PHASE

[spoiler=Enemy Phase]lol j/k you guys done good

I'm going to assume that ESCAPE is a forgone conclusion, and that everyone escapes next turn.

The nine of you sneak your way through the corridors and manage to escape in one piece, even as hoofbeats echo through the halls of the prison. By the time you escape, Nelon is up and moving again, although there appears to be something wrong with his right hand: his wrist appears to be broken, probably from his descent from his steed. Whether he chooses to hone his left side or try to rehabilitate his right, it will be awhile before he is as skillful as he once was.

Behind those hedges… could it be? Nelon's horse! Smarter than we gave it credit for, apparently. However, as you all greet the horse… Regan disappears. It appears that he has fled, presumably unwilling to fight any longer.

"Let's get ready before we head back to camp," Leona advises as you draw to a safe distance from the prison. "Nobody here wants to be caught flat-footed if we run into a fight on our way back."

[spoiler=BEXP rewards]Elaine receives 50 additional EXP, for persuading Julius to turn against the crown, so replacing a deadly enemy with a powerful ally.

Nelon receives 35 additional EXP, for rescuing two of his former pupils and recruiting one of them as an ally.

Nelon levels up!

+1 Str

+1 Spe

Rapha receives 50 additional EXP, because Refa was the first to catch me completely off-guard strategically, which I've been wanting since this began.

[spoiler=Player Data][spoiler=Elaine]Level 2.54

19/19 HP (54+5%)

0 Str (0%)

7 Mag (55%)

6 Skl (40%)

8 Spe (65%)

5 Lck (50%)

4 Def (40%)

6 Res (35%)

5 Mov

7 Con

6 Aid

Dark EXP: 39 (D)

Sp: Desertwalk

Affinity: Wind

Supports: None

14 Atk

94 Hit

3 Crt

21 Avo

8 AS

5 CEV

Inventory

Flux (38/45)*

Vulnerary (2/3)

700G

[spoiler=Xenah]Level 2.88

14/20 HP (64%)

3 Str (30%)

4 Mag (35%)

3 Skl (30%)

8 Spe (40%)

10 Lck (60%)

3 Def (25+5%)

4 Res (32%)

5 Mov

6 Con

5 Aid

Bow EXP: 7 (E)

Light EXP: 15 (E)

Sp: Farsight

Affinity: Ice

8 Atk

101 Hit

6 Crt

26 Avo

8 AS

10 CEV

Inventory

Hunting Bow (Prf) (42/45): 7 Mt, 70 Hit, 0 Crt, 7 Wt, 2 WEXP, 2-3 range

A bow made for hunting. Used by a skilled archer.

Lightning (23/35)*

Vulnerary (1/3)

570G

[spoiler=Nelon]Level 2.01

22/22 HP (80%)

7 Str (45%)

0 Mag (0%)

3 Skl (35%)

6 Spe (40%)

3 Lck (30+5%)

4 Def (40%)

0 Res (15%)

7 Mov

9 Con

11 Aid

Sword EXP: 4 (E)

Lance EXP: 39 (D)

Sp: Horse

Affinity: Anima

12 Atk

97 Hit

1 Crt

15 Avo

6 AS

3 CEV

Inventory

Iron Sword (44/46)*

Steel Lance (26/30)

Horseslayer (16/16)

120 G

[spoiler=Rapha]Level 2.79

30/30 HP (40%)

4 Str (50%)

0 Mag (0%)

5 Skl (30+5%)

8 Spe (40%)

0 Lck (80%)

5 Def (40%)

0 Res (10%)

7 Mov

7 Con

13 Aid

Lance EXP: 83 ©

Sp: Wyvern

Affinity: Fire

11 Atk

90 Hit

16 Avo

2 Crt

8 AS

0 CEV

Inventory

Iron Lance (42/45)*

Javelin (16/20)

Vulnerary (3/3)

960G

[spoiler=Trinket]Level 2.55

20/20 HP (54%)

6 Str (40%)

3 Mag (40+5%)

4 Skl (30%)

6 Spe (50%)

8 Lck (40%)

5 Def (20%)

0 Res (10%)

5 Mov

6 Con

5 Aid

Sword EXP: 4 (E)

Staff EXP: 11 (E)

Sp: Thievery

Affinity: Light

11 Atk

102 Hit

20 Avo

2 Crt

6 AS

8 CEV

Inventory

Iron Sword (44/46)*

Heal (25/30)

Vulnerary (3/3)

300G

[spoiler=Felix]Level 2.95

31/31 HP (80%)

6 Str (55%)

0 Mag (0%)

7 Skl (65%)

9 Spe (65%)

4 Lck (50%)

5 Def (45%)

2 Res (15+5%)

5 Mov

8 Con

7 Aid

Axe EXP: 19 (E)

Affinity: Thunder

14 Atk

91 Hit

3 Crt

18 Avo

8 AS

4 CEV

Inventory

Iron Axe (35/45)*

Vulnerary (2/3)

500 G

[spoiler=Gordin (Non-Player)] Level 1.58

20/20 HP

3 Str

0 Skl

1 Spe

0 Lck

0 Def

0 Res

5 Mov

6 Con

5 Aid

Lance EXP: 35 (D)

Affinity: Anima

10 Atk

80 Hit

0 Crt

0 Avo

0 AS

0 CEV

Inventory:

Iron Lance (46/46)*

Red Gem

[spoiler=Neutral Data][spoiler=Leona]Level 2

27/27 HP

4 Str

10 Skl

18 Spe

8 Lck

3 Def

4 Res

6 Mov

6 Con

5 Aid

B Sword

Sp: Thievery

Farsight

13 Atk

103 Hit

35 Crt

42 Avo

17 AS

8 CEV

Inventory

Killing Edge (10/20)*

Elixir (3/3)

Edited by Mienshao

Reunited with his horse, and having new found strength, Nelon addressed the group.

"My apologies for falling so early. I made a fatal mistake yet you were the ones who saved me, you have my gratitude. Until my wrist recovers, I fear I may be fighting left-handed. Gordin, I'll require my steel lance back. I think it's a little too heavy for you to use just yet."

One thing he was rather curious about was the sudden change in their enemy's movements. When he awoke, there was some degree of chaos.

"Elaine, it's good to see you again. What exactly happened in there? The guards seemed slightly off."

"T-..Thank you first of all for coming in to save me.. I barely know any of you and you rushed in to rescue me." she said with a bit of sadness in her voice.

"I convinced ..J-Julius and his p-people to run and help Renais's people... his order confused the guards with their sudden retreat. But that doesn't matter anymore"

Felix had been silent since they'd stormed the prison. Seeing the holy man cut down reminded him of his father. He wondered how he was, he hadn't seen him since he'd joined up with the military. Would he approve of what he'd done, deserting his homeland and joining up with a bunch of other drifters, and a knight of their enemy nation? Probably not, but why should Felix care? What good was a dead man?

Determined to erase the thoughts, he recalled the battle. The first thing that came to his head was Leona tearing that man to pieces. The man was armed, Felix could spot the tome, but didn't even retaliate. There was no getting around it, Leona was unhinged. Combined with a sword and willingness to kill made her potentially very dangerous.

What did the others think about this, he wondered. Glancing around, after spotting Leona was at a decent distance, Felix approached Nelon and whispered.

"That bitch is nuts. Do you really think we can trust her after what she did to that bishop? He didn't seem to be hostile, even if he was our enemy..."

Nelon was rather disturbed by what he heard. To kill a retreating enemy was dishonest, capturing was one thing, but murdering was another. He approached Leona, ready for some answers.

"Leona, we must speak." Nelon began, not quite sure what to expect. "Our goal was to rescue the prisoners. I hear you struck down a retreating holy man, what was your thinking behind this? You didn't just kill him, you beheaded him. I feel you have something that we need to hear."

Felix must have had major concerns if he had to whisper them. Nelon could simply not allow it to go unnoticed.

"He was our enemy. I have no need to justify that. And, even if you're right..." she paused for a moment, getting RIGHT in Nelon's face. "then I'm not the only one here with kills better left forgotten." She backs off, waiting impatiently for you all to get your ducks in a row and generally avoiding conversation.

After seeing the brief confrontation. Elaine walks up to Nelon [yet trying to avoid speaking to or about Leona at all]

"B-brave knight, I seem to have forgotten this but in the b-battle" she says still shaken from the events of earlier.. She finally calms down a little

"I got this from the one in the heavy armor" -Elaine holds out the Horseslayer- "Do you.. want it? {She says kinda struggling to keep it held up} It could help.. I certainly have no training in using a lance.. especially as fine as this"

Leona had got very close, a little too close in fact. Nelon felt incredibly uncomfortable, he could have sworn he felt her breath trying to suffocate him. After the confrontation with Leona, Nelon was very much surprised to see Elaine, presenting a lance. Regaining his composure, he answered.

"Why thank you, I'm sure either myself or Rapha can put this to good use. This weapon should prove useful, it's designed to take down horsemen... even looking at one makes me slightly nervous.

Leona really was crazy. For a second, Felix thought she was going to assault Nelon it was suicidal, she would be fighting presumably seven against one. That is, if everyone here could be trusted. A thought crossed his mind - did they trust him? He'd told most of the group that he'd already deserted his nation once, after all. He had to find out, so he asked the one who he felt he would get the most honest answer out of.

"Nelon, I've got something to ask you. It might sound kind of weird, but hear me out. Do you trust me?"

Felix had posed him a rather peculiar question. It was a valid question though, considering his background. Nelon was a knight from Renais, Felix was a deserter from Grado... in any other world they'd get on pretty badly.

"I trust you enough to fight along side you." Nelon replied. "You're honest, if you wanted to leave or betray us you would have done it by now - there were plenty of chances. So yes, I'd say I trusted you, we're all in this together now."

"You, me and all of the other wackos here." Felix sighed. So Nelon trusted him. Now what would they do? Fighting back against Grado was the first thing that came to his head, but then he remembered his companions. He doubted most of them wanted anything to do with fighting Grado, some of them were hardly fighters by trade. Now they'd saved Elaine, what would they do? Returning to Serafew and staying there didn't appeal to Felix in the slightest.

"Do you really want to go back to Serafew, and live under her? I don't like her or her company, and I think you feel the same. Do you know anywhere we could go?"

Xenah felt guiltier than ever before, the group was being framed for her actions, and a holy man ended up being killed without resistance, or so goes the story Elaine told. For one so used to discussing and relating the clergy, even with her ties cut short, the death of a religious man still harmed her willpower.

Unwilling to talk for the moment, and weak in spirit, Xenah lowers her head. Silent and detached.

"Doom and gloom, horse skulls and shadows." Trinket sighed, speaking to herself. She was lagging behind the group, her mumblings unable to be heard except by the surrounding flora who wouldn't really care anyway. After all, what on earth could a plant possibly want in dealing with matters such as these? None, that's what.

Trinket crossed her arms and exhaled, "I'd give anything to be on the road again." she said as nostalgic images of displeased customers and the wide-grinning Trinket speeding away from the gathering mobs with her money and merchandise intact. "Ah... I haven't heard a coin drop on polished oak in such a long time I fear I may go mad if I don't hear it again soon... but no, I'm stuck here with these angsty, smelly vagabonds. I guess this is the Goddess' punishment: Being forced to dwell in the company of those you wouldn't normally socialize with. Whatever, I'll be out of here soon-- my mother and father, too. I wonder how they fare at this very moment."

Trinket had arranged for her parents to be sent away to a distant uncle's manor for their anniversary. They had left soon after the invasion of Serafew, but present times are uncertain. This uncertainty worried Trinket, but she knew how clever her old man was and how well her mother could use words. Trinket knew without a doubt that they'd be safe, caught for whatever reason or not.

Trinket glanced over at her fellow misfits, her earlier muttering described the scene perfectly: "Doom and gloom, horse skulls and shadows."

There was an odd tension between Nelon, Felix, and Leona. The young girl, Elaine, was still shaken from her earlier experience in the prison-- to the point that she began to stutter constantly as though she had trudged through a howling snowstorm. Xenah also seemed to be in low spirits for some reason.

Trinket groaned a little, sickened by the low spirits and the smell of violent thoughts. "Goodness, I don't think I can take this for much longer." she thought to herself, "Honestly, I could sneak away right now if I had a mind to, but they have no healer or doctor and... gods, they're so miserable. There must be something I can do for them, as much as I detest the thought of assisting someone without a little gain for myself."

Trinket took a moment to sort out her thoughts, then she came up with a few ideas to chase away the negativity. "Hm... a joke? Could I tell a joke? ...No, I can't think of a good one. How about a game? ...Gah! They're adults, not children. What am I thinking?" Trinket continued thinking of things. Eventually, she settled for something not inherently light-hearted but something that'd get everyone's minds off of the severed head of the holy man. She held her words in her mouth for a while, fearful that they might break an imaginary wall of glass and unleash a gut-wrenching awkward silence. Trinket soon built up the courage to say something after scolding her inner self about how silly it was to think such bashful thoughts. "Um..." the word that came out of her mouth grabbed the attention of her comrades despite not being the best choice of words to utter, "I-If I may break the awful mood we've got going here... Why don't we share a little bit of our pasts with each other? After all, if we're to be together for much longer then we might as well get to know one another. Plus, if we're to be comrades then we should KNOW what our comrades are like and what they've been through, no?" The group was silent, Trinket had feared the worst and the worst smelled that fear, grabbed it by the neck, and bit it down with its sharp teeth.

Trinket thought fast and saved herself the pain of an awkward silence, "I understand if no one is in the mood for talking. Well, if it makes things any better... I volunteer to tell you all a little bit about myself. Then, as the mood begins to lighten up, we can each take a turn sharing stories of grand misadventures. Be warned, though! I've been told that my stories can be quite... captivating. Many men and a handful of women have fallen for me after hearing just one of my tales! But alas, I am such a free and independent spirit that I cannot be bound by the chains of romance!"

If there's one thing Trinket learned throughout her travels in Magvel, it's that exaggerating and making a clown of oneself tends to make people forget about the little things. Although it comes at the cost of certain people (usually the most horrifically uptight) outright disliking you. Trinket didn't really care anyway, lightening the mood and ridding the air of that peculiar, bad smell was all she cared about right now.

"I hear no objections, so I guess I shall begin. Is everyone all right with that~?"

[spoiler=lol money]moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneygoldmoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymonymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney

Edited by Esme

{Brilliant post Esme}

Elaine was just blankly staring into the distance when she heard the cheerful voice of Trinket.

"S-stories? Of our past.." She mumbled, "I will listen. I was quite curious where you all came from in the first place.. O-only to be waylay-ed".

"I will share mine after t-the rest of you do." She stuttered

Elaine while she perked her ears up to listen to Trinket. Thought to herself of her old home.. reading stories of brave heroes and later the magical books that brought on her thirst for knowledge with the Ancient Magic that many.. called Dark Magic

Rapha had been keeping silent ever since Elaine elucidated the team on Julius' sad decapitation. She knew the feeling that losing a fellow soldier brought (or in this case, priest), and it never went away no matter how many of her allies were killed. It was one of the main reasons she left the army in the first place...that kind of thing wasn't worth the suffering. Luckily, Trinket had been tired of the current rather depressing atmosphere, and decided to tell a story of her past to lighten the mood. Storytelling wasn't exactly one of Rapha's favorite hobbies in the world, but it'd be nice to know more about her allies, if they were going to stick around her for a long time. Even if Trinket seemed like the sort who would grossly overexaggerate her success' and play down the failures.

"Well, go on, then. Don't slow down on my account," Rapha said with a slight smile.

(EDIT ALSO BRILLIANT POST ESME BUT YOU KNEW THAT DINTCHA)

Edited by Refa

Trinket smiled, "I'm very glad you've decided to open up, Elaine. We've just begun our first step towards lifting moods and creating lasting, lifelong friendships."

Trinket cleared her throat, "So! Since there are no objections... I guess now is the time to begin the storytelling. Now, where should I begin...?". Trinket thought for a moment and found the perfect, lighthearted story to share. "Ah, yes. I've got the perfect story to tell. This particular event occurred during my first year as a merchant! At the time I had no employers, no regular customers, and hardly any interesting merchandise. I was quite a poor merchant whose financial situation made my entire existence utterly ironic. Yes, I had a very wealthy upbringing, but I wished to prove myself. I wanted to earn my money the hard and honest way-- through true merching! I was stubborn back then, yes, but I had confidence! I had a flame in my heart and that flame refused to be doused! It rebuked the cool waters of 'settling' and blazed with a moving passion fueled by desire! This drive is what made me the woman I am today: Trinket! Dashing rogue, free-spirited charmer, master of profit-making. Ah, yes, I had talent and I believe that my employers knew that.

Anyway, about that event. It was a lovely spring morning, and I was on my way towards the city of Serafew. I had nothing but a few rustic necklaces, an exotic dagger, and the clothes on my back. Also, I had my wagon, but that was never-- and WILL never be --for sale. So, as I entered the glorious city, I was approached by the most handsome of guards. He asked me, in a voice that was as smooth and sleek as a raven's feathers, what my business was in Serafew. I told him as gracefully as I could that I was just a humble merchant looking to make a profit off my wares. I looked him in the eyes and he blushed, then I blushed. Oh, gods, I had never believed in love at first sight 'till that moment. He began to stutter and his sentences began to stumble upon the bottom of his lip. He welcomed me into the city and I persuaded him to spend the day with me. Heh, things went swimmingly and our night ended with a kiss on lips and a trip to the honeycomb tomb which is located in... well... ah, I'll not spare you the details, they're not very interesting anyway.

So... as I awoke from my slumber I felt his warm arms upon my breast. I looked to my side and there he was, handsome as ever, sound asleep on the other side of the bed. I wished so badly to stay but I had a duty to fulfill. A dream to make into reality. Thus, I lifted myself from the bed, dressed up, and took a loaf of bread, some fruit, and a hunk of cheese that happened to be lying around in the kitchen area, then I exited his house. The day was warm and sunny, it smelled of springtime and fresh bread. Ah, so nostalgic. I could just sit by the door and watch people walk by for hours, but then I remembered my destiny-- I needed to merch, I needed to make a profit, I needed to make a name for myself. I set out to do just that. At first, I was outclassed in skill by the other, much older, merchants. I had a tough time making ends meet but eventually I came upon a generous employer. He was a tough-looking man who smelled of onions and rose. He told me his name was Quincy and that he owned a cadre of professionals who dealt in dark deeds.

At first, I was afraid of being seen with this man because he reeked of lies and secrets, I was afraid of being thought of as some sort of thief. ...I-I was obviously not! However, he... er... he told me that he could sense my talent! Yes! He said that I had potential. Word had spread around of my, uh, escapades. You know, customers can be quite rambunctious about silly things. They tend to exaggerate. After all, what could I possibly want with an old woman's antique vase, hm? Nothing! Anyway, this potential referred not to me as a lowly pickpocket but as an agent of sorts. Despite the money he offered, though, I declined the request. I prayed that the Gods would deliver justice upon this dishonest mortal.

Furious yet composed, he left. I never saw him again 'till several months later I happened to hear that the very same cadre that offered me a job at their headquarters had disbanded due to a betrayal. I laughed at how pathetic that was. Only honest merching can prevail! Coincidentally, the disbanding happened during the richest point in my career. Yes! I had bought and sold tirelessly, eventually making a huge profit with only a few old artifacts. See? This is what hard work can do for you all. Hee hee! You could learn a thing or two from me.

Anyway, that is but one of the many tales I have to share. I don't want to hog the attention, though. I pass the torch to whomever wishes to volunteer next."

Felix wasn't too happy about the situation either. Considering the way Leona acted, he wasn't sure anybody was. With Elaine and Trinket chirping behind them, he replied to Felix.

"In all honesty Felix, I really don'y know. It's probably best we get back to Serafew, rest up and then decide there."

Edited by Shin

He supposed that was the best course of action, and shrugged. "I guess we'll have to then."

The main group seemed to be getting livelier as they listened to Trinket speak, so Felix decided to join them at last.

Felix replied and sunk back to the rest of the group, which gave Nelon a little thinking time as he walked alone.

His nation had fallen, his king was probably dead. All they could hope was that Prince Ephraim's expedition was having better luck... although they hadn't heard from him in a long time. However, with reliable knights like Sir Orson, as well as his peers Forde and Kyle, it was unlikely for them to go down without a fight. Where would he go though? Two of his pupils had survived, out of the dozen he had taken with him. He knew for sure that six of them had perished... which left four of them missing. The people with him were good people, he could trust them. They protected him, it was his duty to aid them too. Plus, he owed them as a person too, not just a soldier.

Trinket's friends still seemed reluctant to talk. Fortunately, she had a clever little way of coaxing out their stories.

"Hm, I've grabbed your attention but I've yet to hear a story from any of you. That makes me a little sad, really! So, how about this... if one of you tells me a story, I'll reward you with one of these!"

Trinket dipped her hand into the satchel which rested at the side of her waist. Then, she pulled out a bundle of small scrolls. The scrolls had a dull brown color that spoke of aging, but they were tied with brightly colored ribbons that differentiated one scroll from another. "These are the Scrolls of the Ancients. A corny name, I know, but I'm not exactly good with titles. Anyway, these scrolls are rumored to be thousands of years old. They hold a mysterious power that only a few destined mortals can tap into. Now, I'm not one for the supernatural, but in times like these I'd be stupid to not want the Gods-- or whatever supernatural powers that may or may not exist --on my side. So, if any of you share a story with us then I shall present you with one of these gorgeous scrolls. ...Except for the scroll named 'Fala'. That one is mine!"

Trinket paused for a bit, then spoke once more.

"Any takers now?"

She then put on a ridiculously silly smile.

Edited by Esme

A quick moment of muttering later, you all decide to cast lots for the chance to tell your story and claim an artifact. The lots turn up as follows:

Leona

Xenah

Gordin

Felix

Rapha

Elaine

Nelon

"Well, I suppose I'm to begin," Leona murmurs. Clearly not a fan of opening up, this one, but the prize is simply too tantalizing.

"Perhaps... you all would like to know how I came to know so much about that prison. Wesley and I infiltrated it not a month ago, after the first few prisoners were taken. I managed to conceal my blade--" here, she winks at Trinket, cheerful for the first time since any of you have known her, "--and we thought we could get everyone out. However... it became clear that we couldn't break anyone out. Professionals like ourselves? Certainly, but not these commoners with us.

"So we waited. We learned of the two more powerful men there--Hemming and the late bishop--and sundry other information. Including the fact that Hemming had sons. Three of them, all soldiers of no little power working under their father. And that... is how we escaped."

Leona leaned forward, an unmistakable fire in her eyes. "Oh? Not enough detail? Well, when Wes and I were being relocated by two of these, when I decided... it was time for us to go. The first was gone in the blink of an eye; Wes gagged the other while I rushed to grab him--the perfect hostage as we wound our way through the corridors. Although doing so while dodging soldiers, and with a belligerent? Took awhile, even for us.

"And then... we ran across the big man himself, barring our path. Alone--his arrogance gave us the chance we needed. One blow to the side; his son collapsed, crying out in pain. Wes and I ducked his axe, and fled--we heard him crying out. Ciphas, apparently."

After losing her self oh-so-slightly in the telling, Leona straightened up, speaking perhaps a half-octave higher than normal. "So far as I know, the eldest is still around. He's no threat compared to the two I mentioned, but if we ever attempt another run, you should be ready for him."

After a moment of silence made clear that she was finished, she snatched up a scroll and, unfurling it with a flick of her wrist, studied it. A few moments pass, and, as blood drips from her clenched hand... the scroll dissolves to ash.

Edited by Terrador