Tharja pronunciation

Scooter

Tharya

Awesome. Ive been pronouncing it right the whole time. I figured the j was soft/y sounding.

The one that kinda stumps me is Cherche. Is it Churchie? Or Chersh? or Shershie?

O_O

Edited by Virion

Awesome. Ive been pronouncing it right the whole time. I figured the j was soft/y sounding.

The one that kinda stumps me is Cherche. Is it Churchie? Or Chersh? or Shershie?

O_O

don't know call her Cherry that is what i do and you are not in my army taking all my ladies

Edited by Arch Sage

Just like her Japanese katakana name as "Sa-ri-ya". Sa can be a TH sound just like it is for "Thunder" from "Sandaa"

"rya" =/= "ri-ya"

I mean come on it was never "Sariya"; it was "Sarya"

I know it's a silly thing to whine about now that the English version's out and nobody calls her Sariya anymore but still ugh

Meh, I don't really mind mispronoucing names. I'll just continue calling Tharja Tharja and Cherche church.

Both of these pronunciations rubbed off on me in the end since with the former, it rolls off the tongue easier, and the latter sounds gender neutral enough to work for Cherche(I've heard of male 'churche's, but not female 'churche's, but again, it sounds like one of those gender neutral names and so it works for me ... kinda like Alex or *shivers* Robin)

I pronounce their names the way it looks to me. OAo Tharja is "far-ja" and Cherche is "chair-chay". 8D; I'm not one for getting foreign names pronounced correctly.

One nane I'm confused on is Ricken's Japanese name. Licht, even with the katakana as a guide (リヒト), is difficult for me to get right.

Cherche is share-sh.

http://www.forvo.com/word/je_cherche/

That's how you pronounce Cherche XD

Omg thanks guys. Im pretty OCD about pronunciations. So i was all "how do you say this one?!! argh." French isnt a language i am very knowledgeable in.

I thought it was Richt... and I pronounce it like "Rict", kinda like in "Richter".

It's pretty obviously taken from the German word for "light", so an [l] sound rather than [r] is appropriate. I pronounce it... like the German word for "light", because I can actually pronounce German.

It's pretty obviously taken from the German word for "light", so an [l] sound rather than [r] is appropriate. I pronounce it... like the German word for "light", because I can actually pronounce German.

So it's like a softer version of the "k" sound I guess (like the kh in Khan when you pronounce it like us brown people do)? idk how to pronounce it without saying it sounds hebrew-ish... but I think I see what you mean. (Though it's not obvious because i dont know any german beyond greetings)

I say "tar-ya" a la Tarja Turunen. I have no idea if it's correct, but it seems somewhat Germanic/Swedish/whathaveyou where there is no actual "th" sound.

Edited by Sykil

So it's like a softer version of the "k" sound I guess (like the kh in Khan when you pronounce it like us brown people do)? idk how to pronounce it without saying it sounds hebrew-ish... but I think I see what you mean. (Though it's not obvious because i dont know any german beyond greetings)

I don't know any... of any of the brown-people languages you might be alluding to (that felt awkward to write), but the sound is a voiceless palatal fricative (and here's way more than you wanted to know about it). German distinguishes between this "soft" ch sound and a "hard" one which is uvular or velar rather than palatal. The soft version is... closer to h than k, I'd say.

Edited by zahlman

8D; so its pronounced like the katakana suggests? It should sound like "liheet"? I can't pronounce German, like at all. "OTL

I don't know any... of any of the brown-people languages you might be alluding to (that felt awkward to write), but the sound is a voiceless palatal fricative (and here's way more than you wanted to know about it). German distinguishes between this "soft" ch sound and a "hard" one which is uvular or velar rather than palatal. The soft version is... closer to h than k, I'd say.

We say "khan" for instance with the soft version (urdu btw)

But I see what youre saying...