Do you guys think Lunatic + is even remotely playable without Wireless/DLC features?

Sinned

I got as far as chapter 5, then I said screw it. IMO it's remotely playable if you're doing casual but Lunatic+ Classic is just stupid IMO, half the game is hoping you get useful items from event tiles and that certain enemies don't have certain skills (e.g. hammer dude + hawkeye = hell, high HP fighters/barbarians with counter = pain in the butt, etc.). So Luna+ CAS, yes, Luna+ CLA, no, and anyone who tries to play it and actually makes significant progress and/or beats it without using DLC or wireless features isn't smart, they're stupid, AFAIC, for trying it in the first place, because it doesn't even seem like fun -_-

my 2 cents

I got as far as chapter 5, then I said screw it. IMO it's remotely playable if you're doing casual but Lunatic+ Classic is just stupid IMO, half the game is hoping you get useful items from event tiles and that certain enemies don't have certain skills (e.g. hammer dude + hawkeye = hell, high HP fighters/barbarians with counter = pain in the butt, etc.). So Luna+ CAS, yes, Luna+ CLA, no, and anyone who tries to play it and actually makes significant progress and/or beats it without using DLC or wireless features isn't smart, they're stupid, AFAIC, for trying it in the first place, because it doesn't even seem like fun -_-

my 2 cents

"there is only one way of having fun in FE13 and it's the way I play the game". also you can reset so that certain enemies don't have certain skills/stats, even if you've saved on the prep screen. not too hard.

I haven't played Lunatic+ yet but I'm sure it's doable, just very challenging. Some people enjoy a really hard challenge- just because you don't doesn't mean you should immediately declare other playstyles as stupid or inferior.

@above: Hardest yet without a doubt in all likeliness.

Edited by Liquid Snake

On my completed Lunatic run, I didn't use Wireless stuff until after Ch17. Based on my incomplete Lunatic+ run, I get the impression that taking into account better skills to fix the many things I failed at in that run, including skills I had picked up by the time I finished it, I'd say Lunatic+ is just as doable for an appropriately more-skilled player. So yes, it should be workable.

Not that I'm tackling that just yet. I'm using Wireless stuff freely off the bat in my second, regular Lunatic run, and I plan to do the same for the Lunatic+ run I actually complete afterwards. I do intend to try something like this, but not until a few playthroughs later, when I've also played all the way through Lunatic under the same conditions.

I manage to beat chapter 4. And 5. 4 was super easy compared to the rest.

Unfortunately on 5 nearly everybody is dead. I was able to beat it with an A support from Robin.

Yeah lunatic + is kinda disheartening right now.

This is a good question, and one that I haven't found answered no matter how many times I ask. I have yet to find someone who has beaten the game in Lunatic+ Classic with the no dlc/spotpass/renown restriction. Heck, most people haven't gotten past Chapter, nevermind come close to beating it. I am pretty determined to beat it, although if enough people who have tried say it is impossible, I could reconsider. I'm not buying the fact that the devs would have a moral issue with making it impossible without wireless, since it is the hardest mode and they had no qualms about making it possible for randomly determined skills like counter to render this game unbeatable. I'm at chapter 5 and it has been a total pain so far, with all the resetting for skills, but so far I can see it being possible just at a very very slow pace. Obviously someone has completed it (that guy that made the japanese walkthrough that was posted in the lunatic club topic but I'm not totally sure he didn't grind either), I just have yet to find someone here who has done it.

That being said, I wonder who the most skilled members of these forums are. I don't mean the people who have been here the longest or even played the most, but I wonder how many people here, if any, are capable of giving Lunatic+ a good fight. I know these forums have a lot of good players who have pulled off ridiculous LTCs and 0 growths/solo runs and things like that, but I must admit I was shocked to find out that everyone has shirked away from this challenge.

...within the next few chapters, I'll probably understand why.

Edited by Why so Sirius?

I was on chapter 8 of loony+ and it really wasn't that hard except chapters 2 and 3. I didn't use dlc. I did use reknown to get the second seal. But considering that is something built into the game that doesn't require online to use I don't see any issue with it. And it's defintely doable even without using that second seal.

Oh and by the way I say was because I just picked up my bundle today and HAD TO START EVERYTHING OVER AGAIN.

Which means I have to go unlock loony+ again. ;/

Honestly I think it's a lot of "why wouldn't you bother with minor SpotPass/Renown weapon gains" even if you're not going for other stuff. They're minor enough that it's hard to see much of a motivation to bother specifically ignoring them.

Honestly I think it's a lot of "why wouldn't you bother with minor SpotPass/Renown weapon gains" even if you're not going for other stuff. They're minor enough that it's hard to see much of a motivation to bother specifically ignoring them.

Well, since it depends on how much you grinded for renown in the past game, I really can't justify it. Especially early in the game, things like Mercurius and Tyrfing are pretty powerful, not to mention the higher renown bonuses like the one that gives you 99999 gold. The only reason I added this part of the restriction is because it can be abused with renown grinding.

What if we remove that restriction? Would we get more people who have completed it simply with the restriction on no dlc or fighting/recruiting spotpass characters? I really didn't think adding the part about renown would make that much of a difference as far as how many people would fall into this category of beating Lunatic+, but I may be proven wrong if more people surface that haven't done it simply because of that philosophy you stated.

"there is only one way of having fun in FE13 and it's the way I play the game". also you can reset so that certain enemies don't have certain skills/stats, even if you've saved on the prep screen. not too hard.

I haven't played Lunatic+ yet but I'm sure it's doable, just very challenging. Some people enjoy a really hard challenge- just because you don't doesn't mean you should immediately declare other playstyles as stupid or inferior.

Do you guys think

The guy asked for my opinion

and as evidence by phrases such as

AFAIC
it doesn't even seem like fun
my 2 cents

that's more or less what I gave, and I tried to be reasonably sensitive about other people's playstyles by using such words which indicate that it's just my own thinking and it doesn't mean its true nor does it hold any more weight than any one else's opinion. I wasn't "immediately" shutting down every else, I'm basing it based off of discussion and my own experiences.

Yes, I think that anyone who tries to play Luna+ CLA is not going to have fun and I look down on playstyles that don't have it, or rather, I can't comprehend how they would enjoy it when it's as luck-based as it is--I mean come on, you EXPECT me to essentially screw around with the RNG so that certain enemies have certain skills that that make it easier to beat? I didn't realize that was an important facet of the game that people enjoyed. I'm not into games where I purely gamble and have no control over the factors, and I think that people who would purposely torture themself in such a way are stupid. It's mean of me, yes, but it's called "Lunatic+" for a reason, you kind of have to be beyond a lunatic at Fire Emblem to play it, and I haven't actually heard of anyone enjoying playing Luna+ with full restrictions on the bonus box and wireless features (i.e. in it's full B.S. difficulty), so :|

It only takes one smart person who doesn't see it as torture but as fun to prove me wrong but my own experiences and the opinions of the people I have talked to suggest that it's not us who's dumb for not seeing the value in Luna+, it's that person who's really, really smart and is able to play through it and enjoy it that is the outlier.

Simply put, for the average player, Luna+ CLA is crazy and unenjoyable, and thus stupid to play because who wants to play something that's not fun? Not I. Not most people I've met. I said people who try are stupid because as of yet I still haven't heard of anyone playing it and not being discouraged by its difficulty. If there's someone who's actually capable of beating it and had a blast while doing it, good for them, but for most people, they should do their research beforehand so they don't even bother because AFAIK it's not beatable for the average player. After playing FE for 10 years and being one of the better players that I know I'd like to think, without bragging, that I'm better than the average player and I -somehow- beat Lunatic-Classic and that was B.S. and Lunatic+ is even worse so by that logic an average player would not even want to touch something like Luna+ CLA which is pretty much the pinnacle of difficulty.

Hopefully this explains things more so that you don't think my opinions are a bit rude without reasoning :P

Edited by Burning Gravity

Yes, I think that anyone who tries to play Luna+ CLA is not going to have fun and I look down on playstyles that don't have it, or rather, I can't comprehend how they would enjoy it when it's as luck-based as it is--I mean come on, you EXPECT me to essentially screw around with the RNG so that certain enemies have certain skills that that make it easier to beat? I didn't realize that was an important facet of the game that people enjoyed. I'm not into games where I purely gamble and have no control over the factors, and I think that people who would purposely torture themself in such a way are stupid. It's mean of me, yes, but it's called "Lunatic+" for a reason, you kind of have to be beyond a lunatic at Fire Emblem to play it, and I haven't actually heard of anyone enjoying playing Luna+ with full restrictions on the bonus box and wireless features (i.e. in it's full B.S. difficulty), so :|

It only takes one smart person who doesn't see it as torture but as fun to prove me wrong but my own experiences and the opinions of the people I have talked to suggest that it's not us who's dumb for not seeing the value in Luna+, it's that person who's really, really smart and is able to play through it and enjoy it that is the outlier.

Simply put, for the average player, Luna+ CLA is crazy and unenjoyable, and thus stupid to play because who wants to play something that's not fun? Not I. Not most people I've met. I said people who try are stupid because as of yet I still haven't heard of anyone playing it and not being discouraged by its difficulty. If there's someone who's actually capable of beating it and had a blast while doing it, good for them, but for most people, they should do their research beforehand so they don't even bother because AFAIK it's not beatable for the average player. After playing FE for 10 years and being one of the better players that I know I'd like to think, without bragging, that I'm better than the average player and I -somehow- beat Lunatic-Classic and that was B.S. and Lunatic+ is even worse so by that logic an average player would not even want to touch something like Luna+ CLA which is pretty much the pinnacle of difficulty.

Hopefully this explains things more so that you don't think my opinions are a bit rude without reasoning :P

I actually do enjoy Loony+. The fact that as I play it everything changes is something I love. Every encounter is different. Every failure means I reset and deal with something different which means I have to try and figure out different ways to handle each situation. Yes there are times when I restart without even attempting(Looking at you Chapter 3 with 7 counter spawns.) but normally it's fun and enjoyable. It's an insane challenge that isn't the same dull method that you can abuse in most fire emblem games. It's hard and it changes. I like that. Also with regards to what you said. I did not use DLC at all. The ONLY thing I chose to use was the Second seal that you achieve from reknown. I know for a fact, however, that it is doable without that.

Bad news is I have to restart. ;/ Cause I got my bundle and now had to restart everything. Gonna burn through lunatic in like a day so i can get back to Loony+.

The guy asked for my opinion

and as evidence by phrases such as

that's more or less what I gave, and I tried to be reasonably sensitive about other people's playstyles by using such words which indicate that it's just my own thinking and it doesn't mean its true nor does it hold any more weight than any one else's opinion. I wasn't "immediately" shutting down every else, I'm basing it based off of discussion and my own experiences.

I understand your points about the game being centered around resetting and hence unenjoyable, but here's how I look at it. Unless you want to play through all of the easy modes on these games, you are going to have to assume that if you beat the harder difficulties, you can beat the easier ones (ex. if you beat hard then its reasonable to assume you could beat normal with the same restrictions). So, in order to prove that I could beat any FE game on any difficulty, I have to beat them on the hardest difficulty. Especially since I grinded on Lunatic, I have to prove that I could have done it without grinding by beating Lunatic+ without grinding. Sure, Lunatic+ requires rigging of skills to become beatable, but even with that skill rigging, it will always be harder than Lunatic and hence it will still be the hardest difficulty. Even if it requires rigging everything for like pass and aegis (which it usually doesn't, but these are usually the most desirable skills since AFAIK they are guaranteed at least 2 skills), then it is still the hardest mode in the series and I still need to beat it.

So basically it's the challenge of figuring out how to win AFTER the enemy is dealt acceptable skills that I enjoy, not the process of resetting to get these skills. And people who are bashing how the devs gave this game its difficulty, IMO it isn't much more cheap than FE12's unpredictable ambush spawning and WTF agro chains.

Edited by Why so Sirius?

One in 1,000... the people who'd visit a forum like this tend to be more into FE than the average fan, and people who would play Luna+ and actually enjoy it are likely to be more into FE than the average fan, so the chances of finding the people who would play Luna+ and actually enjoy it are higher in a forum like this

and no I can't actually prove any figures but it's a pretty reasonable statement in a casual conversation like this since even the more hardcore of my FE friends won't so much as play Lunatic, nevermind Luna+ XD

tl;dr you guys aren't normal AFAIK so I consider you outliers, the average person is still stupid for trying it, IMO, just given how much B.S. it has compared to the other modes :P and hey I'm kind of calling myself stupid too lol, I'm not doing classic but casual is still pretty tough (but not so tough that it stops me from ever beating chapters and thus making me put the game down lol)

normal casual FTW

I understand your points about the game being centered around resetting and hence unenjoyable, but here's how I look at it. Unless you want to play through all of the easy modes on these games, you are going to have to assume that if you beat the harder difficulties, you can beat the easier ones (ex. if you beat hard then its reasonable to assume you could beat normal with the same restrictions). So, in order to prove that I could beat any FE game on any difficulty, I have to beat them on the hardest difficulty. Especially since I grinded on Lunatic, I have to prove that I could have done it without grinding by beating Lunatic+ without grinding. Sure, Lunatic+ requires rigging of skills to become beatable, but even with that skill rigging, it will always be harder than Lunatic and hence it will still be the hardest difficulty. Even if it requires rigging everything for like pass and aegis (which it usually doesn't, but these are usually the most desirable skills since AFAIK they are guaranteed at least 2 skills), then it is still the hardest mode in the series and I still need to beat it.

So basically it's the challenge of figuring out how to win AFTER the enemy is dealt acceptable skills that I enjoy, not the process of resetting to get these skills. And people who are bashing how the devs gave this game its difficulty, IMO it isn't much more cheap than FE12's unpredictable ambush spawning and WTF agro chains.

I have no doubt that you'll eventually complete Lunatic+, but you illustrate quite well why I think Lunatic+ needs some work. I am sure that both you and I have resetted on a number of instances appearing to be lost, but which would have been salvageable by a better player. Because of the obvious lack of serious playtesting by the devs, neither you and I can reliably tell how often we're "expected" to win against a given combination of skillsets, or whether any particular combination of skillsets is even solvable. On the other hand, if we only ever win against comparatively tame combinations of skillsets, then is there even a point to playing? Saying I beat Lunatic+ wouldn't really hold much weight if it took me twenty resets on every level until the skills lined up. I suppose it feels good to say that, for example, I was able to beat the Hawkeye Hammer dudes in Chapters 1 and 3 at a decently reliable clip, but my winning runs still find me thinking to myself "finally..." rather than "ALL RIGHT IN YOUR FACE RISEN EVIL."

I'm at Chapter 5 right now and had an otherwise decent attempt that ended when a Myrmidon with Pass (I was totally not aware he even had it) ran through my defense and KOed Maribelle. Having to pay attention to a million degrees of freedom completely sucks and represents one of the core things I dislike about Awakening as a whole, which is that the developers chose to make the game much more complex by adding a lot of bells and whistles (Dual Attacks; up to five skills per character), while not really paying much attention to making the game simple but difficult. Chess is a deep game, but at its core it's simple, as there aren't many rules to remember, and the rules don't change in between each game; a pawn is a pawn is a pawn, unless it goes through the (entirely deterministic) process of promotion. In contrast, Lunatic+ would get pretty hairy on Chapter 24, where Wyverns are charging at you and you have to pay attention to every last skill they have in between each playthrough and essentially relearn the "rules" (skillsets which, in Chapter 24, are somewhat stacked against you given the strength of the enemies) each time you play Chapter 24.

Edited by Redwall

I have no doubt that you'll eventually complete Lunatic+, but you illustrate quite well why I think Lunatic+ needs some work. I am sure that both you and I have resetted on a number of instances appearing to be lost, but which would have been salvageable by a better player.

Ehh, I suppose you have a point. I mean, I'll give it a shot if like 30-40% or more of the enemies have counter (and I'll usually lose) rather than resetting until none have it, but I reset immediately if like 70% or more enemies have counter. I suppose maybe a better player could salvage that, but I highly doubt it, especially considering how hard it is just to find people who are taking on this mode, never mind trying to find people who do it without a ton of resetting.

Because of the obvious lack of serious playtesting by the devs, neither you and I can reliably tell how often we're "expected" to win against a given combination of skillsets, or whether any particular combination of skillsets is even solvable.

Exactly. This is a problem that has plagued me time and time again. Certain combinations render the level impossible and often times it is difficult to recognize these combos until you're well into the level

On the other hand, if we only ever win against comparatively tame combinations of skillsets, then is there even a point to playing? Saying I beat Lunatic+ wouldn't really hold much weight if it took me twenty resets on every level until the skills lined up.

I would say that there is a point to it, simply because even with all the resetting the enemies still have extra broken skills and it is still challenging. The odds that every single enemy gets skills that are so tame that they reduce the challenge to a minimum of Lunatic is extremely small and perhaps negligably so, probably even nonexistent. I would say that as long as you didn't reset hundreds or thousands of times so that none of the enemies have any of the exclusive Lunatic+ skills, beating Lunatic+ still has some meaning.

I suppose it feels good to say that, for example, I was able to beat the Hawkeye Hammer dudes in Chapters 1 and 3 at a decently reliable clip, but my winning runs still find me thinking to myself "finally..." rather than "ALL RIGHT IN YOUR FACE RISEN EVIL."

^this

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm at Chapter 5 right now and had an otherwise decent attempt that ended when a Myrmidon with Pass (I was totally not aware he even had it) ran through my defense and KOed Maribelle. Having to pay attention to a million degrees of freedom completely sucks and represents one of the core things I dislike about Awakening as a whole, which is that the developers chose to make the game much more complex by adding a lot of bells and whistles (Dual Attacks; up to five skills per character), while not really paying much attention to making the game simple but difficult. Chess is a deep game, but at its core it's simple, as there aren't many rules to remember, and the rules don't change in between each game; a pawn is a pawn is a pawn, unless it goes through the (entirely deterministic) process of promotion. In contrast, Lunatic+ would get pretty hairy on Chapter 24, where Wyverns are charging at you and you have to pay attention to every last skill they have in between each playthrough and essentially relearn the "rules" (skillsets which, in Chapter 24, are somewhat stacked against you given the strength of the enemies) each time you play Chapter 24.

Yeah, I guess. For me, the problem isn't taking into account all of those variables. I mean, you do have a point, it is very annoying, but I don't think having to relearn the rules to account for gimmick skillsets is what makes it challenging. What bothers me more is when you get like halfway through a level and maybe you'll get some good level ups, but then you realize that one of those combinations makes it impossible to beat in that situation (I recall a particular situation in Chapter 4 when I was getting rushed by two fighters with counter at once for example).

Seems to me that if you can get more than a turn or two into a chapter, any skill setup should almost always be workable, even ones with a bunch of Counters. There are probably exceptions, but that's what it seemed to me from playing about a third of the way in: it's deadliest at the beginning. The worst of the skills are a pain to work around, but doable.

I would say that as long as you didn't reset hundreds or thousands of times so that none of the enemies have any of the exclusive Lunatic+ skills, beating Lunatic+ still has some meaning.

Lunatic+ always hands two special skills to the enemies; no getting around that. If you're talking about rigging it so that the enemies all have Counter and Pass, the skills enemies could (rarely) have on other difficulty levels, that would be much harder than average Lunatic+ setups, if it's even possible.

I guess if you wanted to make them as weak as possible, you could abuse them all to have Hawkeye and Vantage+, which would still be more of a difficulty jump than FE12's Lunatic', since that's just the equivalent of slapping Vantage+ on everything and not Hawkeye.

Edited by Othin

I suppose there's a distinction to be made between "possible" and "playable." It's definitely possible.

Is it playable? Like... at all, never minding the "without Wireless/DLC features" question made by the original posting? I suppose it depends upon your definition of "playable." If it's meant to mean "enjoyable," I'd say it probably isn't for most folks, but there's got to be someone out there who lives for it.

There are people who will beat anything out of sheer grim determination to, as someone said, demonstrate their mastery of the game at every possible level. But whether this task is enjoyable or not is always a question. Completing an enormous and highly complex crossword puzzle is probably very enjoyable for those with the wherewithal to do it. Writing one word over and over 20,000 times is probably not enjoyable for almost anyone.

Lunatic+ strikes me as a bit more of the latter, and the skill lottery is kind of part of that. The most impressive SRPG runs to me are the ones that rely less on luck and more on skillful maneuvering to do everything just right. But how do you come up with a way to do that on a mode where fundamental and critical aspects of the enemy makeup is randomized?

I don't really know how to answer that, but I'm personally of the opinion that Lunatic+ isn't much fun even with the bonus features. But I'm sure it can be done, it's just a question of who will seek to bother.

Lunatic+ always hands two special skills to the enemies; no getting around that. If you're talking about rigging it so that the enemies all have Counter and Pass, the skills enemies could (rarely) have on other difficulty levels, that would be much harder than average Lunatic+ setups, if it's even possible.

I guess if you wanted to make them as weak as possible, you could abuse them all to have Hawkeye and Vantage+, which would still be more of a difficulty jump than FE12's Lunatic', since that's just the equivalent of slapping Vantage+ on everything and not Hawkeye.

Ok, that's what I thought about 2 skills being the minimum. I wasn't talking about rigging for Counter and pass but I can see how you interpreted it that way. I was talking about how it is still a challenge and resetting isn't abuse unless you reset for the absolute weakest combinations (which I would argue would be Pass and maybe Luna+ for the early game rather than Hawkeye and Vantage, but that's not the point). My point is as long as you try to keep resets to the minimum so that it is still beatable, it is still by far the hardest mode in the series and therefore is still a fun challenge IMO.

There are probably exceptions, but that's what it seemed to me from playing about a third of the way in: it's deadliest at the beginning.

Good, it's reassuring to hear you say that. I wonder why so few people if anyone have finished it then though, if this is the case. How many characters did you train besides MU/Chrom/Freddy? Right now I'm just using Lon'Qu, Sumia, and Miriel but I might add a 3-5 more later if possible.

Edited by Why so Sirius?

I was making a policy of gobbling up whatever I could on my run - SpotPass weapons, Renown rewards up to the like 10k I'd earned, sidequests, and one play of each DLC. So at the time I'd stopped, I'd detoured for the first three sidequests and the first two CoY maps, resulting in a fuckton of extra Exp and a way more overall prepared team than I'd had on Lunatic. I had an absurdly powerful Avatar I'd promoted before Ch5, as well as promoted Chrom, Virion, Lissa, and I think Cordelia. Yeah, I was getting a lot of Master Seals from those merchants. I also class changed Frederick to Wyvern Lord, as per my usual policy. My team was powerful enough that I remember needing no resets at all in Ch8 or Ch9, compared to several in my preceding Lunatic run. Only reason I stopped there was because I tried several times to play through S4 to get Anna before Ch10, failed miserably each time, and never really felt like getting back to it to actually even try Ch10.