Super Spriting Team Challenge: Round 2!

Astelaine

Hi, folks!

Seeing as the first round was a fantastic success, and many people expressed interest in doing this again, it's baaaaack -

KnollRoll.gif Super Spriting Team Challenge! KnollRoll.gif

How it Works

Interested parties respond to this thread with a confirmation that they will participate. After the enrollment period, participants will be randomly matched with a partner. From there, the teammates have one month to make a sprite (either a portrait or a battle sprite/battle animation) together. All finished entries will be PMed to me (Astelaine.) At the end of the month, we'll have a big showcase thread where we reveal and discuss the entries.

If there happens to be an odd number of participants, I'll sit out in order to ensure that everyone has a partner.

What is the point of this?

The point is for spriters here on SF to meet new people and work with spriters they wouldn't normally imagine working with. By collaborating, we can make new friendships, learn new techniques from each other, and hopefully create something badass that combines each participant's strengths. And of course, have some silly fun. If you go into this looking to win or prove that you're the best, you are doing it wrong!

What if I get paired with someone I dislike/someone I think is bad?

Deal with it! Don't enter if you're going to be picky about your partner. Like I said, the aim of this challenge isn't to win. People with a great disparity in skill might end up matched together, and that's okay. Experienced spriters have a lot to offer newcomers, and even newcomers have unique talents they bring to the table in terms of ideas, designs, or just a fresh set of eyeballs to catch errors with.

That said, if you have an arch-nemesis out there you absolutely can't work with, send me a PM and I'll make sure you aren't paired together.

How should we work together? Who should do what?

There's no right or wrong way. Part of the challenge is to decide on a process that works for both people involved. It's up to you to figure out how you handle it!

What if my partner drops out or we break up as a team?

If you can't continue working together for any reason, you are allowed to complete your project on your own and submit it independently.

Will there be voting?

Nope! The challenge is cooperative, not competitive. We'll raffle off the choice of the next round's theme to a team with a completed entry.

Other assorted rules

- GBA-style Fire Emblem portaits or battle sprites/battle animations only.

- 16 color limit (15 + 1 background color.) FE7 or FE8-style colors are preferred, but this isn't super-strict. If you do a half or full body, you may use as many colors as you wish.

- According to their desire, teams may splice, full custom, or anything in between.

- To keep the challenge approachable for people of all skill levels, all portaits must be roughly hack-box sized (ie, must fit within a 96x80 box, or something close to it.) This isn't strict - you can go outside those dimensions - but no full or half-bodies, please.

- Only one entry will be permitted per team, unless the team has chosen to split up and submit independently.

Enrollment is currently closed. Team sprites should be PMed to Astelaine on or before Sunday, May 5th.

Challenge Theme: (courtesy of The Merc)

For portraits:

Step one: Select an fe7 ally or enemy mug

Step two: Make the selected mug into a child (6-10 years in age like baby Roy)

*(Bonus) Step three: Full body!

*(Double Bonus) Make the child wear armor resembling their adult form armor (if they wear armor).

For battle sprites:

Make an FE7 ally or enemy unit into a "trainee" unit, a la FE8.

*(Bonus) Make an attack animation!

Team Listings

[battle Sprites]

• Deranger & obLivia
  • BwdYeti & The Merc
  • Hamlet & Mercenary Lord
  • MiniBladez & SPSEliwoodGabriel
  • Lenh & Kramgnauh
    ---

[Portraits]

• BwdYeti & Kon
  • Acha & Tchyrimi / halfrohp
  • Yoshi & risingSolaris
  • MarioKirby & Amelia
  • Solum & DualSilverGunner
  • ShinyPichu & Fuzz94
  • Redfield & Ponih
  • Eclipse & Lancer
  • ObLivia & Mewiyev
  • Seph1212 & The Merc
  • Astelaine & AthenaWyrm
    ---

Haha, this round is going to be a real challenge! Good luck, teams!

Edited by Astelaine

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoo... Not sure if I'm really willing to invest enough time into a full body. Oh, well. Throw me in for mugs, anyway. It'll be hard for even the advanced spriters.

Maybe consider making the deadline for this one a lot longer, Astel? It seemed hard enough for a lot of the groups last time to even put a mug together (due to various reasons). A full body would definitely take even longer.

Edited by ObLIVIA

It's optional now~

Don't feel obligated to make a full-body, but I really encourage people to try it!

And yeah, the three-week deadline was not enough, so I am going to bump it up to a month now, possibly more if people seem to want to go for the full challenge.

Edited by Astelaine

well seeing as yeti already jacked half the classes for trainee making

OH MY GOD HE'S HERE

I'm in for battle sprites

This comp'll put them at around FE7x's time frame, cool

Edited by deranger