Japenese or English voices

Aethern

Japanese or English voices?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What voices do/will you use?

English since I haven't bothered switching the language.

I might at some point just to listen to TharThar, Nowi, Noire, and Nah's Japanese voice acting because shut up.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunban's Japanese VA is Captain Falcon. Xenoblade in Japanese >>>>>>>> Xenoblade in English.

yeah but that's Captain Falcon's ENGLISH VA, so that doesn't count, because whatever is said in place of FALCON PUNCHHHH isn't famous

also Melia's VA is on Doctor Who for you brits

English, definitely.

For starters, the English dub is fantastic, but also just because I agree with all of these things.

English, for a few reasons.

1. I don't understand Japanese.

2. Japanese female voice acting tends to be rather... unrealistically, obscenely high pitched.

3. I guess there's a bug with Japanese voices or something? Never cared to find out.

4. It's a game with characters who predominantly have European based names, predominantly European looks, and predominantly European culture. So it just makes sense for them to speak a European language. I'd even take Greek over Japanese, and I don't understand Greek, either. If they were to make a FE game that takes place entirely in Chon'Sin or something, then I'd be more open to Japanese voices. I'd still probably go with English, though, for the other 3 reasons.

I know that some people have gotta have the Japanese voices, and that's cool, but for people who aren't already Japanese speakers I've never understood that mentality and probably never will, especially when the English dub is perfectly fine as it is here. Or in Xenoblade, speaking of which-

Dunban's Japanese VA is Captain Falcon. Xenoblade in Japanese >>>>>>>> Xenoblade in English.

AN ELECTRIC GUTBUSTER UPON THEE

D8 IIRC, the only girls with "whiny-sounding" (aka high-pitched and cute) voices are Olivia, Sumia, Nowi, and Cynthia. Other women sound more "mature" I guess, and you even have Bokukko Soiree. You couldn't accuse JP!Miriel or JP!Lucina of being "whiny and annoying".

Compare the English version, where the list is:

• Cynthia being high-pitched (but reasonably, since she's like six)
  • Olivia being vaguely whiny (but with a much more reasonable voice)

If you're not into that thing, it's an improvement, if nothing else.

Edited by Iridium

I prefer Japanese, actually. It sounds... better.

Not that the English VAs are bad, it's just the Japanese language (and... Japanese anything. -_-') appeals to me.

I'll probably stick with English after playing in Japanese a few times, though, since it doesn't sound fun to be constantly toggling Japanese on and off... on and off... on and off... ._.

Always English.

I tried Japanese for one skirmish, heard Lissa's voice, turned the voices back.

To be honest, I've got no idea how people think the English voices are more whiny-sounding than the Japanese ones, although perhaps it's because "whiny" would hardly be my ideal descriptor...

I think my problem with them is that they're unrealistically high pitched; almost no teenage girls' voices would actually sound like that, and so perhaps that's one reason I prefer English voices, since there's usually a lot less pandering in that regard. Of course, there's also the whole "a language I can actually understand" thing, as well as the fact that it's less awkward for others to overhear me playing with English voices than with Japanese. Unless they're overhearing the old villager woman. She probably makes the most suggestive groans I've ever heard.

I don't really hate the Japanese voices, I just prefer the English ones.

Lissa's voice was pure agony. I find it difficult to believe that her Japanese voice could be even worse.

Granted, it might simply be the case that her actual lines are what caused my headaches.

yeah but that's Captain Falcon's ENGLISH VA, so that doesn't count, because whatever is said in place of FALCON PUNCHHHH isn't famous

also Melia's VA is on Doctor Who for you brits

Captain Falcon's English VA is the same as his Japanese VA. Look it up.

I absolutely love the English voices - there isn't one I don't like or that I feel doesn't fit the character. But, I'll admit, some of the Japanese voices are excellent and I applaud them for their skill.

My favorite Japanese voices would have to be Tharja's, Olivia's and Henry's.

Favorite English voices? Morgan, Chrom and Ricken. (Yuri Lowenthal fangirl. Don't hate.)

Special mention goes to Inigo, whose voice makes me melt no matter the language.

People get too offended by subjects like this... and leads to "dub vs. sub" flame wars. I just don't get it.

Well some of us got shat upon for being pretty down with english voice acting. I mean, once, i was all "DUBS ALL DAY ERRYDAY" when it came to Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films and got REAMED! Because apparently anime should only be watched in Japanese or something. Let us ignore the A-list actors who worked on those dubs, it has to be Japanese or else! |:[

Im not a fan of the sound of the Japanese language to be perfectly honest. Im a bit unreasonable when it comes to Xenoblade due to those voice actors being British English and it being generally amazing throughout. I had not one gripe about voice acting in that game. In fact, part of the reason im cool with Riki is because his voice doesnt irritate me. (which shocked me greatly. I expected to be annoyed as fuckall about his voice....) Besides, the Japanese voices dont have such gems as:

"What a bunch of jokahs!"

"Amateurish!"

"You can spell rainbow without Reyn, baby!" "Dunban, i think you need to have a talk with Reyn." "No. No! Let us forget that ever happened."

"He's so cuddly i could just cuddle him to death!" "Riki may be the softest of all Nopon." "Riki suddenly feel afraid..."

"Riki SMILEY happy!"

Or the fun ribald jokes you can make with "Ouch, thats scorching hot!" and "My rifle's getting hotter!"

And of course the Blossom Dance poem of amazing.

BUT THIS THREAD ISNT ABOUT XENOBLADE. lol

As for the voices in this game, the only English voice that makes me angry is Severa's. She is WHINY. But i think shes supposed to be so it works. The other young girl voices like Nowi or Cynthia dont annoy me at all. Lissa's voice is adorable to me. "I am not delicate!" And her cute little "uwaahh." groan.

I understand preference, but some peeps go overboard because they think Japanese is way more "authentic" or awesome or something. Someone said upthread that if FE was taking place in a Wutai type setting, it would make more sense to keep the Japanese voices. One reason why the voice clips in the fourth Breath of Fire game fit so well is because a part of that game's world was very very Eastern.

For one thing, saying "Japanese" is more authentic for FE is kinda... ehhh.

They already have Japanese-type preferences in character's behavior... in a medieval European-like setting.

For one thing, saying "Japanese" is more authentic for FE is kinda... ehhh.They already have Japanese-type preferences in character's behavior... in a medieval European-like setting.

I agree, I've always seen the FE universe as a mix of East and West. Makes sense given the style of the series, I think.

Edited by Owain Dark

Its really hard to decide in this game. I know a small amount of Japanese and did my first five or so playthroughs in English and am now doing one in Japanese and I like both of them alot tbh. I feel like some characters are done better in Japanese like Olivia and Noire(Really captures their shy personalities) while others are better in English like Chrom and Lucina who sound much more driven.

tl;dr I like both.

I use both, but Chrom's English voice is more intense to me (just barely. JPN Chrom is cool, but ENG makes me melt... I'm straight, 'kay?). JPN Nono really scares me. I'm not used to that much loli in one sitting. I'm really glad they put an American unfitting voice in for her. ENG Inigo is Lyner's enemy, so bonus points there.

I like JPN Anna's aras~

Yen'Fay is better in Japanese so he doesn't sound so racist-y accented.

Aversa's nice in either language.

Virion's ENG voice is missed when I switch to a JPN play.

Russian Grego is fun, yah?

Basilio being in ENG feels pretty awesome and doesn't make me feel like I'm watching him or Gangrel in Tiger and Bunny.

JPN Flavia I've also heard a lot of, so it doesn't matter to me.

Emm is fine in either.

I think ENG Libera is the better trap

ENG voice Sumia is unfitting but JPN ver. is all squeaky...

Tiamo's ENG I grow attached to

Selena's JPN is prefered so I don't have to understand her taunts.

Kellam... who?

I like hearing ENG Morgan's quotes, but like JPN Morgan's style.

Vaike I gotta have in English.

Henry: Meh either way.

Lucina: After careful consideration, I prefer English.

Olivia: Bah! Moe or more bearable octaves?!

Eng Yarne. So much lulz.

JPN Nah is better than English Nah.

Degel is fine in either language. Cute ultimate General girl~

Brady's fine either way too.

Owain's fine either way, but ENG's crits... x3

Noire and Mage-Boy are fine too.

Walhart is awesome either way, but ENG Walhart looks and sounds like Batou. C'mooon. XD

JPN Tiki is Pikachuuuuuu

I guess Kansai Donny does it for me more? I dunno.

Soiree is the same in both languages, but "Boku wa Soiree" is still one of my favorite lines in the game.

Liz's JPN thing works more, I guess.

I just like Miriel's ENG more because I played with it more, I guess.

Serge or Cherche, they both be fine~

Grima is a heckuva lot scarier in Japanse though. Sheesh.

I immediately switched to JP Voice Actors as soon as I saw the option just to see if I'd like it better. It took a while to warm up to them but I like them better this way.

Almost all the girls sound like stereotypical animu japanese schoolgirls and Nowi sounds younger than Nah. Nah sounds a lot younger and has an annoying "desu" verbal tic. Olivia's voice just pierces my soul and I can't fucking listen to it. I have to mute whenever she speaks. It physically hurts me to listen to her.

HONKY DAY IKOOZO

-Chrom

Edited by Rawr

At first I chose Japanese because I heard the English voices in the demo, and I did quite like them. But then I switched back to English voices, I liked them a bit better.

I don't like Lissa's Japanese voice very much because it's too girly.

At first I chose Japanese because I heard the English voices in the demo, and I did quite like them. But then I switched back to English voices, I liked them a bit better.

I don't like Lissa's Japanese voice very much because it's too girly.

Mmm. Some of the JPN voices are quite jarring if you've grown used to the English ones.

Like Sumia's... whose voice was pitched on the higher scale to begin with.

I don't think I have a single problem with the English voices and there are some I even really like. I haven't heard much of the Japanese, but I doubt I would prefer it.

I've only read the first and last page of this topic, but as far as the discussion on Olivia, I definitely prefer her in English. The Japanese voice is just high-pitched and whiny in my ears, while the English voice sounds legitimately shy as it should be.

while the English voice sounds legitimately shy as it should be.

It's not high enough for me, obviously.

Obviously not on the subject of her voice... and forgive me for the analogy, but her "shyness" in English felt more... stereotypically airhead blonde.