Super Soldier in Death's Embrace (and other weird generics)

darkkfan

I asked this in the "I just want to know one thing" topic but never really got any responses. I figured I'd post here and ask if anyone else had any theories or even if anyone else besides me thought this was weird.
What's up with the "super soldier" in Est's DLC? It seems strange that they'd create a new battle model just for some generic shmuck when they can't even bother to assign colors to playable units. Does this guy ever come back or is this model reused at all?

Same for the giant revenants in Labyrinth Pursuit (although at least there are multiples of these dude), any theories on why these guys get special models (which appear to have taken quite a bit of work) over some of the Risen bosses? I haven't read the storyline for this particular DLC, so there may be something there, but I don't know.

Are there any other weird things like this in this game where a generic character seems to get some custom favoritism, either regards to models or something else?

Examples of this from past games might include FE7's corsair class and (loosely speaking) the 3-13 Archer.

Edited by Walhart

Well, the super soldier from Death's Embrace does, in a really twisted sense, look like a "work of art," as Algol said.

If the devs just wanted to show off, why not change the map sprite instead of create a whole new (and totally unique btw) model. Or do both; I'm sure people can attest that a map sprite takes a lot less work than a battle model (even if it does take the soldier animation).

Or, for that matter, why not use those resources to do something useful (see the OP).

But I didn't make this topic to criticize this, just to point it out and ask if there are any theories or if there is anything else in this game similar to this (besides the example in Palla's DLC that I pointed out in the OP).

Edited by Walhart

It's because this DLC was part of season 2. A bit before it's release in Japan they had a trailer for it, showing them designing some of the new things, since they had more time to do this DLC they were able to make new models.

I'd guess time and the release deadline was probably the biggest factor in most cases because they did spend time on other things that the other games didn't do(like the personal field sprites).

Edited by arvilino

I would say they did it just because. Video game companies have a tendency to do things like this without rhyme or reason. Although, the giant revenants really didn't look like they had much effort put into them. They looked like upscaled versions of the regular revenant model with some minor additions, although the video I saw them in wasn't exactly high quality.

It irks me that they gave that ugly thing it's own model when the DLC characters are just glorified My Units. :/ Blah.

^Exactly

It's because this DLC was part of season 2. A bit before it's release in Japan they had a trailer for it, showing them designing some of the new things, since they had more time to do this DLC they were able to make new models.

I'd guess time and the release deadline was probably the biggest factor in most cases because they did spend time on other things that the other games didn't do(like the personal field sprites).

Interesting, so they advertised new models for the DLC and had extra time to do that, but struggled to meet the deadline for the original game?

That actually makes a lot of sense. Any theories about the significance of this kind of thing in-game (do you think it was designed after the fact or was the whole level designed around the idea of super soldiers and assassins)?

I would say they did it just because. Video game companies have a tendency to do things like this without rhyme or reason. Although, the giant revenants really didn't look like they had much effort put into them. They looked like upscaled versions of the regular revenant model with some minor additions, although the video I saw them in wasn't exactly high quality.

This theory seems equally valid too, of course. I tend to read into these things too much.

Edited by Walhart

The DLC characters not having their own models is understandable. While creating one or two custom models for seemingly no good reason would be a fairly easy task, creating a unique model for all seventeen DLC characters would have taken a lot more time and, more importantly, money.

That thing is one of the most disgusting things I've seen in a videogame. Man, the risen were fairly tame compared to this...this is just...ew.

That thing is one of the most disgusting things I've seen in a videogame. Man, the risen were fairly tame compared to this...this is just...ew.

You're telling me - this outright qualifies as nightmare fuel.

Well, they did only find out they could put feet on the character models when it was too late, IIRC.

....Bad joke. You do realize the style is quite similar to the Final Fantasy DS games (but way better graphics/details), right? :-_-:

The developers got their inspiration from somewhere there or another game similar. It's sad that there's people making a big fuss over the feet in FE: Awakening and quite oblivious on other different previous dated games.

Yeah, mission accomplished on this one; the xenologue as a whole was pretty fucking depressing (especially with Inigo and Brady mentioning how a lot of people they knew/wounded soldiers they were trying to heal became Risen and that they were just numb to the whole thing), but that super soldier looked really grotesque and really drove home how screwed up the boss was.

Yeah, mission accomplished on this one; the xenologue as a whole was pretty fucking depressing (especially with Inigo and Brady mentioning how a lot of people they knew/wounded soldiers they were trying to heal became Risen and that they were just numb to the whole thing), but that super soldier looked really grotesque and really drove home how screwed up the boss was.

Agreed. That's just... ugh, I don't even want to think about it. There's evil, and then there's this.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Er, it DOES look pretty weird(and do I see string-like things on it's back?).

But I'd guess it'll look more scarier if I saw it right on the game.

They're arrows.

Edited by Dai

Er, it DOES look pretty weird(and do I see string-like things on it's back?).

But I'd guess it'll look more scarier if I saw it right on the game.

That's an arrow in its back.

Also "weird" sounds like an understatement to me... Ugh.

Woah! That's really strange. I haven't downloaded Death's Embrace so this is news to me. I guess it makes sense that it was meant to "sell" the series 2 DLC after the original hiatus in Japan. Maybe fittingly, this might just be the last push I needed to give in and buy the pack this is included in :P. It does also make it more frustrating that they didn't end up making any custom models for legacy characters though...

Wow. It rather reminds of Firefly's Reavers.

I do wonder how Algol managed to make the Risen obey him - are they just naturally attracted to the biggest scumbags in the general vicinity?

The only other weird generic I can think of is the 3-13 Archer, and that's a meme, not a unique battle model.

Do we have any idea what the story is with the villagers in the Outrealms is? Are they just normal people living in a strange place, or are they "less real" than their non-DLC counterparts?