Return of the Emblem Chapter Eleven: Unleash

Phoenix

"Yup!" said Tia, bouncing up and down. "She's a really good driver! She's learning how to control it very fast. Soon she won't be as fun to have driving and we'll have to get Robin or someone else to drive if we want to have fun. But come on!" Tia reached forwards to try and grab Zach and Mushy by the hand and pull them along to the Dauntless. "Hurry up and we can still have some fun! It's even more fun if you raise your hands up into the air and scream!"

---

"<AHHHHHHHHH! GYTHA!>" cried out Robin as the archer bolted upright. She had been leaning on the side of the Dauntless, unaware that it was about to move, before it suddenly started to lurch to life causing the archer girl to topple to the ground, crying out the name of the person she saw driving it. Quickly Robin rolled out and tried to rush forwards to get on.

"Like that!" she heard the voice of a certain young mage girl, mentally wishing to smack her upside the head right now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rook was probably on the Dauntless or something, waiting impatiently for a moment to get a word in edgeways about how he isn't paid nearly enough for this shit.

“Bolstering mist?” Katrina repeated. Well, maybe the battlefield had looked kind of misty… Her being under the effects of poison for most of the time though wasn’t helping her remember much. “Well it’s nice to meet you Tia, I’m Katrina”

And then apparently it was Mushirah who had asked the mage over, but Kat didn’t mind at all. “Oh, it’s fine,” she said. Then after her thing about Rook, “Yeah, sure you can ride with me. The more the merrier~ Or, at least as many as Volga can carry anyway. I think her limit in the air is about three or so...”

And then Shadrak came over to talk to Mushirah and then the wagon started moving, and Kat wasn’t sure what to make of that last one. Zach certainly had something to say about it though, as Gytha driving the wagon was apparently not the best thing. Not to mention it was leaving people behind… Tia grabbed the hands of the two she’d just been talking to and was trying to pull them off. Mushirah, for one, had just expressed desire to ride on her wyvern, so Katrina was having none of that. “Hey, hey wait, Tia! She was going to come with meee.”

---

Aaand then the Dauntless took off with Gytha in the driver’s seat. Looked like whatever conversation Synthia was having was going to be cut short. The mage stared flabbergasted for a moment. Weren’t there still people who needed to get back on the thing? Hell, she saw some of them running towards it now. “Woah, woah, what is she doing? Valter, get her to slow down or something.”

Not that Valter was pleased with current events either, but… “What about your horse?”

“Fuck the horse, make her stop.”

And so the horseman complied, because it was probably in everyone's best interest. Either those two could get the mare or he could swing back around after this. Turning Phyllis around, he had her run at speed up past Bert until they were up near the driver’s seat, at which point he matched pace with the vehicle. “Hey! Not everyone’s on yet, you mind slowing down?”

Mireille barely packed her ink and pen before Gytha took rein of the Dauntless. A second slower and the Ursian knight would have left ink stains over the floor. Leaning against wagon wall, Mireille asked Raquel pointing at Chip, "Need help with...that?"

Shadrak was asking her a question, then Katrina invited him to ride Volga, then Tia wanted her to join her in the Dauntless, and this all overwhelmed the woman for a moment, "Woah woah woah, uh..." Pointing to each person in succession, "Katrina, yes, I will ride Volga please, Tia, no I will not go on the Dauntless with you BUT I will take you to a lunch with Shadrak at the earliest convenience which brings me to Shadrak, yes, i'm perfectly fine with you bringing Robin along, maybe we can have a more private date at another ti... ANOTHER TIME!" She shouted, clearly embarrassed and just hoping against hope that no one would pay attention to what she said. "S-So I can get on, right?" she said, trying to mount volga.

"Yeah we can stay grounded, we're just getting started!" She mounted Hannah, the pegasus who was trying have a conversation but had to cut it short and apologize to Rizen for it.

Dauntless: Interior

Reign left to relay the driver issue and he and Veronika returned, the latter, in order to give the job to Gytha. It made a certain kind of sense. Gytha had something of a speeding issue but that seemed fine in this particular situation. More importantly, she hadn't crashed a wagon just yet, or at least none that Raquel knew of, so she was fine with Veronika's choice and focused entirely on Chip again for the time being.

Everything was going smoothly until the Dauntless started moving, and it was a little sooner than she expected. They had definitely been lingering long enough, though, so surely they had finished patching up the wounded outside and hadn't wasted all that time talking, right? "I sure hope they finished up," Reign said aloud, his thoughts apparently mimicking Raquel's fears. The varying voices from outside seemed to indicate otherwise, though and Raquel winced while Reign sighed. "What the hell have they been doing this whole time?"

Not being in much of a position to get Gytha to slow down or stop, she decided to take Mireille up on her recent offer. "There should be some soap lying around somewhere, but I don't know exactly where. Not everything is where it used to be since the Dauntless got unloaded and reloaded when we got off the ship."

"Might also be completely melted, but that's just pessimism talking," Reign noted.

"Do you have my canteen yet, Reign?"

Reign grunted. This would take a bit of explaining ... "There are three ways we can do this. Either I run outside and get around to the front while this thing is moving, grab your water and then come back and risk an accident, climb up through the enormous hole in the roof and risk the same, or we wait for Gytha to stop and I do this 'safely'."

"Why not just use the other door? It's small but it opens up right up to the front seats. Even if Gytha's blocking it, a budge should get her attention and then you can crawl out, get the water, and then come back."

"If we're going through the trouble, I might as well tell her to stop the wagon for a minute while I'm out there ..."

"That's fine."

"... okay then. I'll ... get right on that." I hope Ayano's not too comfortable there yet.

Dauntless: Exterior

Shadrak was in the clear and the sense of awkwardness began to subside ... though, he had to wonder when Tia became an addition to this outing. Before long, half the group would be in on this. There was little time to think about that though, as whoever the Dauntless' current driver had apparently decided to get the thing moving again. "Whoa, bad timing!" Shadrak nearly took off running after it but then stopped himself. Maybe it was a better idea not to chase after the thing when he already might have a potential ride for the time being. He'd just heard Mushirah accept Katrina's offer, so maybe he could get a ride with her too, assuming the wyvern wasn't already 'full' so to speak. Tia was trying to run off with Mushirah though, so this was a little weird.

It only got weirder when Mushirah mentioned a more private outing next time. She was quick to repeat and stress the words 'another time' which was indeed weird, but still, he agreed. Fortunately for her--maybe--the word 'date' didn't register at all ... until about five seconds later ... "Uh, Katrina, if it's not too much trouble, could I ride with you too? Not really liking the idea of running after the Dauntless on foot ..." And I don't quite feel safe traveling with Gabbie just yet. If she gets mad, she'll probably drop me off from a hundred feet in the air or something just out of spite. Wait a second, did she say 'date'?

Gabbie stayed right where she was for the moment since catching up would be easy enough. It was entertaining to see people scrambling but that quickly grew tiring and she took one last look at the old fortress before standing up and mounting Ringo. "We'll take off in a sec; just wait a bit." Ringo waited, seemingly patient as always.

As she ran, Rizen gave a quick reply to Hannah, simply waving it off with the equivilant of a "oh, you know humans" sort of way.

Well that plan was interrupted. Apparently there were some people who needed a ride who hadn't already boarded the Dauntless. So, Norbert moved himself, Rika and Rizen off to the side early. They were still off the road, so he had to watch to make sure he wasn't leading either pegasus onto terrain that could hurt them, but he still managed thoughts to other things. This isn't like Raquel. Who decided to just take off without making sure everyone was ready?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Valter came up beside the driver's seat and informed Gytha that she was accidentally leaving people behind, she was actually surprised. Veronika told me t' drive th' land ship... Why would she do that without tellin' me when if she didn't mean right away? Well, she didn't know how to slow the wagon down, so instead she just yanked back on the reins, causing the Dauntless to come to a sudden, screeching halt. At least two pegasi wound up passing the Dauntless a bit before stopping themselves.

As Norbert turned in the saddle, things suddenly made sense. No wonder this has been so crazy... It's that daft sea-monkey... He didn't even have to say a word. His glower was enough to make Gytha frown and wonder if she'd just blown it again and shrink back some.

Edited by Mercakete

As the Dauntless came to a quick stop, Tia hurried on up to it, dragging neither Zach or Mushy in tow. Both seemed to have eluded her grasp for now. Oh well. Still, when they next got the chance she was going to spend time with them and that would be fun.

"Okay. Thank you for inviting me along then! I'm gonna go check on my tomes now that the Dauntless doesn't seem as crowded. I hope to see you all later!"

Hurrying onto the Dauntless she scurried into the back, now free of personal meetings, fire, and other things like that. A moment later a high-pitched and happy squeal came from the Dauntless as, inside, Tia curled up around her books, hugging them close to her body. They had managed to survive the lasering by, thankfully, being wrapped and stored away intelligently instead of just dangling out like a target.

Meanwhile, Robin had crawled on, her flesh slightly paler after having almost been crushed. Calmly she sat down in a corner, waiting for things to get moving and hoping Connor would remember her request for armor. She didn't feel... right... bringing it up again like that.

Sinbad wasn't entirely sure what to make of the dynamic between the Synthia and the horseman after the former's ambiguous reply, but he supposed it didn't much matter. At any rate, he thanked the man kindly for the update on Grant's situation, and found himself sitting a little easier for the good news. The thought of having left behind one of the few people he seemed to have got to know moderately well here had been pestering him like an itch he just couldn't scratch. "Ah, well much obliged to hear that, 'n I sure can understand the problem of only be in one place. Don't think I deserve no special thanks though, just did what most anyone would've, I reckon."

Following that, though, things were rather suddenly disrupted when the monstrous wagon started off at a rather high clip. It seemed that someone had apparently made the decision it was time to roll out. The cowboy didn't particularly disagree with that assessment, as sitting here too long would only leave folk vulnerable, even if there hadn't been any sign of enemy pursuit just yet the old fortress was still within sight and testing the enemy's patience wasn't exactly wise. While they certainly wouldn't be 'safe' even after it had faded into the horizon behind them, not with the threats against Raquel's family and friends, and maybe those of everyone else present, it would at least be a start.

The wind mage spoke up telling the long-haired horseman, Valter, to ride down the driver, which seemed to be Gytha, and tell her to hold up a bit and make sure both that everyone was ready and she was taking a safe speed for both the horses and the passengers. Seemed sensible enough, and after a brief hesitation, wondering what he should do with Synthia's horse, the man had complied.

"Right then, suppose we should get ourselves set here too then," Sinbad muttered, mostly to himself, though his passenger could certainly clearly hear. He gave a click of his tongue and nudged Hatsune to a light walk over to the woman's mare. Then in a clear calm tone, the cowboy added, "S'pose your gal would probably keep following along behind us without our lead, seein' as she already has so far, but unless it'd be more strain than you're up for, ya think mebbe you could grab ahold of her lead? I'd do it, bu I pretty much got my own hands full already, what with managing you and my own reins here. Don't reckon it'd be more than a few minutes, as Valter'll probably come back and relieve you soon enough, but it's your call."

Edited by Balcerzak

Raquel went to deal with an issue, shortly after which Reign said that someone else needed to be driving, at which point Veronika returned to the Dauntless to deal with that. After a minute, Blake made his way into the mutilated wagon as well- just in time, too. It began rolling shortly afterwards- and began to look for his belongings, so as to try and stay out of the way. His search led to a badly-burned and drenched bag, which, when opened, revealed that its' contents were just as ruined. Great. The man would've let out a sigh, but at that moment, the wagon came to a violent stop, and it was all he could do to keep his balance.

"Soap," Mireille repeated to herself as she searching through the nearest pile of non-military goods for the elusive object. She was sure she did not encounter any when she was busy trying to save the goods, and she had only moved the weaponry and armour.

The Ursian knight to ask a question that might cut down on time spent searching, "Raquel, where do you remember you last placed the soap? Or at least what sort of objects was it placed together with?"

And then Mireille found herself flat on the ground with various random objects scattered around her and the simple thought, Oh soap!

Edited by Rothene

As the Dauntless pulled to a stop, Valter was hard-pressed to stop alongside it, though Phyllis did have the advantage of not having a several ton behemoth of a wagon tailing behind her. He gave a slightly worried glance towards Sandrock and Riley. That had probably not been a pleasant experience for them. “Don’t stop that quickly unless you have to, it’s hard on the horses,” he told Gytha. He had never seen the mariner drive any of the wagons before, sans the emergency earlier, so it was baffling as to why she was doing it now. “Do you even know how to drive this thing?”

---

The wagon soon stopped, though probably a bit too suddenly to be safe, Synthia mused. There was muttering behind her that they should probably get moving, and really there were no objections from the mage on that front. Sinbad directed his horse over towards Myra and asked if she was well enough to grab her horse, to which she was a little perturbed. “I’m not that out of it, I don’t think…” she replied, though she sounded more uncertain than defensive. Synthia grabbed the mare’s reins before thinking a moment on what he’d just said. “You think it’d be easier if I rode behind you?” As it was now she was an obstacle to his control of the horse and probably sight as well, and though the whole point seemed to be to not have her fall off if she passed out, she trusted herself enough to not lean backwards if she felt faint.

---

If there was one thing that Katrina had caught during Mushirah’s hurried replies, it was not the word date. Otherwise this post would have included something along the lines of ‘Wrathdammit, why are all the guys takeeeeen’. Instead, she just replied to the part relevant to her. “Yeah, just hop on. She doesn’t mind~” Kat told Mushirah. Then Shadrak also asked for a ride, to which her earlier comment about more being merrier certainly applied. “Yeah, sure. After you wyvern’s full now though, unless I have Volga run, but that’s tiring for her. Sooooo, welcome aboard!” Oh yeah, and the Dauntless stopped as well, so she didn’t feel nearly as bad about passing out all the spots to people who weren’t Zach. He hadn’t asked first though, so… first come, first serve.

"Whoa there darlin', didn't mean no offense, it's just you'd been out of it ever since the grenade hit till the gypsy done fixed you up, so I weren't too sure," Sinbad replied. Synthia had sort of trailed off at the end, indicating she wasn't entirely sure whether her comment was true or just wishful thinking, so he didn't press the issue any further than that, and instead addressed her next remark.

"Might be easier, I reckon, but really not sure about safer, so just as like as not, think I'd prefer you stay where you at. When that Valter comes back and takes over for leading yer gal, though, then there wouldn't even be 'easy' going for it. I've been around horses enough, and Hatsune here's really proper trained, so 'sfar as safety goes, you needn't worry. If you're just uneasy riding with me for any other reason, then that's fair enough, just speak up, but don't feel like you have to push yourself on my account. Nothing wrong with a little takin' it easy when yer on the mend. Not while there is folks willing an' able ta let ya."

That said, the cowboy would have one regret about carrying passenger for awhile. Wouldn't really be able to take any chew for as long as she was there, just wouldn't be neither polite nor really feasible. Still, on the whole that was a trifling matter, and not worth mentioning.

"'Sides, bit of travel time together might not be all bad. Yer probably one o' the folk here I'd feel most comfortable asking some questions of, and after what was just said and done in there, certainly are powerful many of those ta be had..."

Edited by Balcerzak

"She probably doesn't know how to steer anything that isn't controlled by a wheel," Norbert grumbled.

"Well, no one ever taught me directla," Gytha admitted to Valter a little sheepishly. A bit more pleased with herself, she pantomimed the actions as she described them, "I know how t' turn, how t' go n' how t' stop, though! I don't even have t' fire off a shot t' get th' horses t' run anamore, haharr!"

Coming back down to a more friendly neutral, she pleasantly continued, "I'm lookin' forward t' gettin' more precise instruction from Synthia 'r Raquel at some point." To be honest, she was afraid she'd upset anyone else as far as teachers went. There was also Katrina, but she wasn't the first to come to mind for driving lessons, unless it was wyverns involved.

Well nothing immediately horrific happened due to her shouting, that was a good sign to Mushirah. Once we all get out of here hopefully it'll just get swept under the rug, please let that be the case! She held out a hand to Shadrak after she mounted volga, "I don't know why it started then stopped, but I don't want to get left behind, so hop on, Shadrak." She said a bit stoically, like she wanted yet again to be anywhere else but her current location.

Aneda had nothing to really add to the conversation that would be considered constructive, and she knew it, so the rider stayed silent. Her ride, however? Not really furious so much as confused. Start then stop, why? This wasn't in the brochure at all! She expressed her displeasure towards Rizen, wondering if maybe she knew something about what was going on.

Rizen indicated she didn't know for sure either but guessed it had something to do with the big thing Sandrock and Riley were always pulling along. She supposed it was important. Why else would they bring it with them everywhere? That half-settled, half shrugged off, Rizen suggested they stand around with Riley and Sandrock at some point. She was sure Hannah and Rika would like the wingless ones. Rizen did, anyway. Rizen also flicked her tail and turned her head towards Phyllis, indicating that she was a friendly equine as well.

Connor

Connor had been taking inventory of the Dauntless-a few things were ruined, but their supplies and his experiments were mostly unharmed overall thank Mercy. As the Dauntless suddenly started than stopped, Connor held on tightly to the knife he was putting back, lest it embed itself into someone sitting inside. That'd be quite the waste after all we went through.

Nadya

Nadya was pleased to see that the Dauntless was finally getting moving, some people were talking about future lunch dates and whatever else while they were barely a few miles out from the fortress. These people are better at fightin' than runnin', and they're not all that great at fightin' either. The Dauntless then stopped, but at least it moving inspired people to start mounting up.

Veronika

The Dauntless began moving rather quickly, which Veronika was not expecting, and then suddenly stopped after Gytha was told to stop. Veronika decided to move herself near the front of the Dauntless.

"Sorry if I was unclear, I only intended us to get moving soon, not before everyone was ready. That should only be a few minutes I think, so just hold tight until then," she explained to the mariner.

“I’m not being defensive, just…” Unsure of how to finish the sentence, Synthia just sighed. “Nevermind.” She was starting to feel like she was getting in the way, but saying that outright probably wouldn’t go over too well. There was a point to be made about safety over ease, after all, and Sinbad had just made it. “I’m fine riding with you,” the mage conceded.

The horseman mentioned some questions he wanted to ask, and she had a pretty good idea of what they probably were. “Well I have been here since the beginning, so ask away… Or, well, I have no idea what took place after I got knocked out, so if it’s relating to something there you should probably tell me what happened first. I would appreciate knowing what happened regardless, actually.”

---

Bert’s comment was amusing, but it did highlight a problem Valter had at the moment. Gytha seemed to relate everything she encountered to something ship related, and he knew barely anything about ships in the first place. Being able to tell her ‘driving the wagon is like so-and-so’ would have made this much simpler. The gestures she showed with the reins were certainly correct, but were not the preferred method of steering.

“First of all, the reins are a secondary method of control, especially when driving a wagon. You should probably be using voice commands. Generally they’re taught to go left or right when you say so, though sometimes it’s ‘gee’ and ‘haw’.” And lucky him, he didn’t remember which one went with which direction. “…You should ask Raquel, while we’re waiting. Synthia’s recovering from a concussion.”

Veronika soon appeared, and from what she said it dawned on him that she had been the one to ask Gytha to drive the wagon. That was… unexpected. She usually made logical choices. If this was a show of trust or something it could have waited for a better time...

---

Katrina hopped on Volga shortly after Mushirah. With the new weight on her back, the wyvern opened her eyes and craned her neck around to see. “Hey, girl. We’re leaving soon. Thank you for earlier,” Kat said, reaching up to scratch the wyvern's head.

Gytha listened closely to Valter's instruction. She never would have guessed all that and was very grateful for the tips. She was also glad that Valter didn't seem particularly angry with her as he instructed her. "That's certainla helpful. I'll put it t' work. Thank ye!"

The news of Synthia's condition wasn't entirely surprising, though after her cheery thanks, Gytha donned a more sympathetic expression, "N' thanks fer th' news on Synthia. Hope she's hale n' hearty again soon."

When the door behind her opened a crack, it caught the mariner's attention. Lo and behold Veronika was there to clear things up. It was much-appreciated. "Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Me apologies fer that, Ma'am. Just let me know when we're reada t' cast off." Land customs seem t' be a lot more casual... Ship command structures 'r a lot more rigid.

Dauntless

"I usually keep a few bars in a small box by themselves," Raquel explained. "I just hope those sailors had the sense not to put the small boxes on the bottom or behind the big ones when they put everything back. I haven't had time to find everything again." Suddenly the wagon stopped and Raquel nearly lost her balance. That was when Chip took the rag from Raquel and ran over to his gun. While she secured herself by holding onto the crate she'd placed him on top of, he hurried over to his firearm and began wiping it down with the rag as diligently as always.

With the Dauntless stopped again, Reign was able to go around to the front and fetch the canteen Raquel had sent him for earlier. The soap was a different matter that he couldn't help with at the moment. Looking around on his way back, he saw the others finally getting it together so they could leave. He wasn't sure why so many were taking their time before when they were just barely out of range of any siege weapons the fortress might have had, but at least now they'd gotten back that sense of urgency that was somehow lost during the first stop.

Once Shadrak was up on Volga, properly for the first time since Chousokabe, he sighed saying, "We're probably not going to get all that far before we have to call it quits for the day and make camp, not with the way Gytha works those horses ..."

"Here's your water," Reign said upon his return to the Dauntless' interior.

"... thanks," Raquel groaned, taking the water, setting it down in front of her, and then reaching over and grabbing Chip. She immediately took his gun away again, prompting yet another protesting shriek. "No," she fired back before setting the gun out of the capuchin's reach just like before.

Rubbing the back of the head, Mireille approached Raquel with her prize in hand, "I found a bar of soap...well, this is the right one, correct?" Holding it up briefly to sniff, the Ursian knight added, "It doesn't really smell like anything though."

Edited by Rothene

Making camp and falling asleep sounded absolutely divine to Mushirah right at that moment, just the mere thought of it made her eyelids heavy. "Having to make camp sounds like a great idea right now..." she mused out loud, slumping over for a moment and sighing. She also threw out a somewhat lazy and half-hearted "Thank you, volga." as well, figuring the beast deserved it for carrying 3 people out of danger in their time of need.

Hannah figured it was an alright idea, but didn't really know when she'd have time to do that in her busy schedule of annoying Aneda or flying around with her rider.

As Raquel put the gun down a small being slowly walked up along the floor. Made of pure water with features like eyes molded into its form like clay and only in the most vague of humanoid shapes it almost seemed alien. More akin to a doll than a living being. Yet it moved. Reaching up it tried to grab onto Raquel's clothes to give them a small tug before raising one arm and, turning into a giant pointer, pointed at the gun which she had just set out of reach. It's 'mouth', more of a giant slit that could be used as one, opened up and seemed to be asking 'please' as it did so.

Meanwhile, just behind a crate inside, Tia carefully chanted, trying her best to keep the small golem, no bigger than Chip, together and functioning as she tried her best to even see if she COULD do these things in the first place. The thought of getting Connor involved crossed her mind, but she felt certain the boy was more at home with his chem lab instead of playing with magical golems like a girl.

---

As the Dauntless came to a stop for now Robin decided now was the time to finally go on a Connor-hunt! She still needed armor protection and to not have a conversation interrupted by a laser beam! Moving through the Dauntless she approached Connor.

"Connor... Ummm... About earlier, when I was asking for some armor to keep me safe. If it is possible, I would still like to have it. More so than ever after almost being lasered."

Edited by Snowy_One

The water girl had tried to pull him up to run after the wagon, tried being the key word there. His towering height over the girl hadn't helped her much. So here he was.... still sitting against Volga.

Mushirah and Shadrak seemed to be climbing on though... so there went his ride. "Guess I'm stuck with the wagon then? Darn... kinda wanted to fly again. Sitting on it yesterday shooting up flares was pretty boring" Zach said as he stood and brushed himself off. They needed to get moving again, heck the only reason they'd even stopped now was to tend to people like Katrina.

"Ain't much more for ya to take, Axel... bloody mages." Arietta replied with a grimace, before some shenanigans went down with the wagon taking off... okay then.

"We should probly' get on that wagon before it leaves for good this time." The wioman remarked.

Soon after being given instruction, the Dauntless took off in spectacular fashion, only to come to a grinding halt moments later... that was certainly strange. Still, Faatina decided to do her part while people were still standing about and see if anyone not travelling in the wagon wanted to ride second.

"If there isn't room in the Dauntless, I can take a passenger." Faatina noted, to whoever might hear.

Well, that seemed to be about as settled as it was going to get. Popping herself on top of the Dauntless with a quick warp, Kit began to gaze listfully at the clouds, for lack of anything better to do, since healing seemed to be mostly taken care of.