A Question for the Ladies

Samias

Ladies: Keep your last name or change it?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Last name: Keep yours or change to your S/O's?

• Keep your own
    • Change to your S/O's
    • Hyphenate both names

It's interesting to see how appropriation of surname differs between cultures. I don't know a whole lot about marriage customs outside of Canada and most of my mom's side of the family has taken a westernized approach to their married names, with the exception of my mom so she wouldn't change to a Caucasian surname.

I'm Latin American, and here, women adopting their husband's surname is practically unheard of! In fact, as a child, I always found it strange that moms in most American TV Shows and cartoons I watched always had the same surname as their husband, and was even more bewildered when someone once asked me what my mother's maiden name was!

Oh yes, being Latin American as well, I remember for a while I had trouble knowing if having the same surname meant they were siblings/cousins/etc, or a married couple. Though now it's not an issue.... for the most part, anyway....

I'm glad we use a different system. Much less of a hassle...

I'm pretty sure that in Korea women keep their family names even after they marry, but the children take on their father's last names. Either way, even in my last name itself is freaking common, the "clan" that my family is descended from is NOT. Plus, if I don't keep my last name I doubt anyone else in my family will get to pass it to their kids.

How come all the Koreans I know adopted their husbands' surnames?

Then again, most of the Koreans I know are already aged. (As in, not young. Today's generation of Koreans could be - and probably is - very different. >_>

And on top of that, the chances of them having the same last name in the first place is not unlikely. X3

So many 박s, 이s, and 김s.

I don't even know my family tree past my grandparents...

How come all the Koreans I know adopted their husbands' surnames?

Then again, most of the Koreans I know are already aged. (As in, not young. Today's generation of Koreans could be - and probably is - very different. >_>

And on top of that, the chances of them having the same last name in the first place is not unlikely. X3

So many 박s, 이s, and 김s.

I don't even know my family tree past my grandparents...

I don't know about you specifically, but my parents legally go under the same surname. Although I suspect that this is in part because they moved to the U.S. not long after they were married. Also, I should've specified that I don't know what today's generation of Korean people do with regards to last names and marriage, and that I was only repeating what I'd heard from my parents. :P:

I plan on changing my name to his. :)

Though, my boyfriend (who I have no intention of ever leaving) is not fond of his own last name, and has mentioned that he would be totally okay with changing his name to mine.

Which...I dunno, feels wrong to me somehow. >.<
Though the idea does amuse me, since it would like, kill my mom (my parents have been divorced for practically forever; she has come to very much dislike my father, and has never liked his family). Not that I hate my mom or anything. I just think it'd be funny. >.>

My mom doesn't like my boyfriend's last name either, and has suggested that if/when we get married, we should just come up with our own last name.

An interesting idea, I suppose, but I have a hard enough time coming up with usernames, names for fictional characters, names for pets, etc...

Edited by Psychopathic Sycophant

If I was ever lucky and blessed enough to have a significant other, I would change mine in a heartbeat.

My parents have been divorced for over twelve years, and unlike most luckier people, it has been a nightmare fest with the constant fighting over custody of my three siblings and I. I have never particularly liked my father's last name, and since all this shit has been going on I have hated holding on to it (since I hate my dad and love my mom). Thankfully, I'm 20 years old now and a free woman, but I haven't changed my name even if I hate it because it would be too hard at the moment to get accustomed to a new one unless marriage was the reason (it doesn't help though that my name is one of those Spanish ones that is perfectly capable of being pronounced right by an English speaker if they slow down, sound it out, and actually look at it; needless to say, it is always butchered without fail... :facepalm: ).

Not to say I don't appreciate women being able to keep their names in the present age and all, but I must say I can't WAIT to get someone else's name!

This. Unless, of course, he has an especially confusing or strange last name. But most likely, I'll change it. The funny thing is, I have a very traditional English first name, and if I marry a Caucasian and take his last name, people are really going to be surprised when they see I'm Asian.

This; it's pretty much the same case for me. I suppose that I'd be more inclined to switching my last name in this case so that my full name meshes better and sounds decidedly more Western, which could be nice.

Though, my boyfriend (who I have no intention of ever leaving) is not fond of his own last name, and has mentioned that he would be totally okay with changing his name to mine.

Which...I dunno, feels wrong to me somehow. >.<

My surname is Muggleton. I can sympathise.