A good Frederick!Owain build?

So I went for Frederick x Lissa on my current playthrough, but I can't help but feel Owain is somewhat lacking performance-wise.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a build that'll change my mind about him?

Currently I'm thinking of...

General

Pavise, Aegis, Miracle, Galeforce, Astra (the latter two swapped for Axefaire and Lethality for StreetPass)

(No DLC Skills available yet, except All Stats +2)

I'm also considering Great Knight, but then that means one more weakness to manage.

He should get enough speed from his mother to be able to double and dodge well as a general, hopefully a bit better than Frederick. General!Frederick forgets swords and basic dodging techniques.

So, that seems like an efficient enough build... I'm assuming he gets Galeforce from Lissa and either Pavise and/Aegis from his father?

First of all, generally speaking, Great Knight should be avoided according to several guides I've seen. Two weaknesses and lack of movement and resistance compared to Paladin, and generally not being powerful in overall compared to other classes.

Pairing Lissa and Frederick will give -1 speed, +1 strength and magic, and +2 in other departments. Pretty average and on the defensive side. On the plus side, you get access to a load of skills because the parents' skill sets don't overlap.

I'd say Paladin, since everything else you say you want seem to point to overall defensiveness. Paladin Owain with Frederick as father would block both physical and magical damage pretty "average on the effective side".

Also, make good use of this tool and your own webpage.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Oh yeah, I know the numbers and stuff, but I'm not terribly proficient at the analysis : P

I figured Frederick!Owain is kind of on the well-rounded (aka "average") side, so I wasn't sure where to go with him.

What skills did Owain inherit?

Galeforce and Discipline.

Edited by VincentASM

Oh yeah, I know the numbers and stuff, but I'm not terribly proficient at the analysis : P

I figured Frederick!Owain is kind of on the well-rounded (aka "average") side, so I wasn't sure where to go with him.

Galeforce and Discipline.

Why Discipline? I woulda gone for Luna instead.

I think what you have planned out sounds pretty good so far... without the DLC skills and stuff.

and I might go Paladin too, but that'd be because I like the movement without double weakness.

If you made him a Paladin he could take Swordfaire and Dual Guard+ and be a backup guy with some frontline punch and Galeforce. As a backup he works even better with Aggressor, but you don't have that so not really worth mentioning.

His balanced defenses also mean he could be an acceptable tank as a PavGis Paladin instead of a General. Though a General with Aegis (might not need Pavise for most stuff) and Axefaire also appeals.

Finally, don't overlook the prospect of a tanky War Monk with Axefaire. His good defenses will work well, you could use PavGis and Renewal if you wanted, and Axefaire + Bolt Axe means an additional +5 MAG for healing plus magic damage, without compromising his ability to swap to a physical axe and smash heads. It's not the glamorous hero job he was expecting, but it makes for a damn sturdy staff-wielder who can also defend himself.

Sol katti or forged killing edge as a SwordMaster also works well becasue he can get counter or the PavGis combo and wrath+vantage may also be worth considering but Dual guard + and defender and deliver would also make him a good support unit quick burn may good as well it increases his first wave survivabiltiy. And I freak out if he is not a swordmaster...

I might try something like this (for campaign/DLC)

class: Assassin

Galeforce

Luna

Aegis

Pavise

Renewal/Lifetaker

he does not gets dark night so no Lifetaker

Edited by FeFish

Thanks all!

I'm leaning towards Paladins now, since I'm not really a fan of low mobility and speed : P

War Monk sounds interesting too. I'm thinking of going for that since I'm lacking axe wielders and because of the Bolt Axe novelty.

Why Discipline? I woulda gone for Luna instead.

I don't mind reclassing Owain and getting him to Level 5 Great Knight to learn it himself.

Also, I was too lazy to train Frederick; I think he stopped exactly at Level 4 and 99 Exp X D

I, myself, would probably like a Fredrick!Owain as:

Wyvern Lord

Luna, Astra, Aegis, Swordbreaker [Galeforce], Renewal

This doesn't assume anything in the way of inherited skills. I put Aegis, Swordbreaker, and Renewal on him for survivability-- Pavise would have been a good choice, but Wyvern Lords typically have a better def than res-- not to mention fliers are weak to everything Aegis covers so it makes it that much better. Renewal isn't exactly my first choice in sustainability skills-- but it's better than nothing (I typically would have liked sol, but nothing for it if he can't get it). Luna is just a great skill overall and Astra in most modes does fairly well especially when Luna activates on top of it. Fredrick wouldn't be my first pairing with Lissa, but it's not terrible either.

I would also recommend galeforce instead of swordbreaker if you happened to pass it down but it's not essential in the slightest. Overall, Galeforce would be a better choice since not every enemy would be wielding a sword-- but since this character would primarily use Axes (imo, it makes sense with the set-up) and Wyrmslayers would be rather annoying it might make for a much better circumstantial skill than galeforce, especially if you plan on using him in Streetpass.