SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Ike isn't really popular anywhere.

He's pretty popular out here in the US. Not in Japan though. Trust me, as an Ike fangirl, I seek out other fans of him and I've found a crap ton, most of them being girls. Which is no surprise, the guy is hot as they come. <3

Not saying he's the most popular lord in the series or anything, just that he DOES have plenty of fans out west.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how you're saying yes to one white-haired female magic user, but not the other. lol (default Avatar has white hair)

Hair color has nothing to do with it. Micaiah and Robin are very different in personality and they wouldn't even be clones, as Miccy's main weapon type is the one type Robin can't even use.

Or did you not notice that he shares 90% of his mmoveset with Link. I know he plays differently, but playstyle is not what makes a character a clone.

This is coming from someone who plays TL on a semi-regular basis. He's a clone; deal with it.

Uh, yes, it is. That's the reason clones existed in Melee; Pichu, Roy, and Young Link especially all played extremely similar to Pikachu, Marth, and Link, respectively. Toon Link's attacks only look similar, but the effects are much different. He is not a clone. But if that is what makes a clone to people, then people should stop saying "clone" like it's a bad thing.

Chrom is the new guy, and has potential for a different moveset.

Well with discussing the Fire Emblem representative, Every FE lord has potential for a different moveset. Actually, compared to that of Hector, Ephraim, Micaiah, Roy and Lyn, his would seem to be much less interesting.

I actually don't like this trend where the latest FE game = new lord for Smash Bros. I'd much prefer Sakurai to go back to the previous games and look at the most iconic characters, instead of having a roster of Fire Emblem lords that are here only because they were the latest game at the time. I'd much prefer Lyn who's the first lord representative to the US market and well. I think she's the only 'myrmidon' lord and the second female lord to give game over status in Fire Emblem. Will I think Sakurai go back to previous lords that are the most popular of the series or the most iconic? No, to be honest. I think the next FE rep will be chosen based off of the latest game, which is understandable, just not - in my opinion - preferable.

I'd much prefer Sakurai to go back to the previous games and look at the most iconic characters

That's why Marth's playable. Besides, most of the the FE lords use swords, and we don't really need yet another sword-user in this game.

Lyn who's the first lord representative to the US market

That's probably why she was the FE Assist Trophy.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

That's why Marth's playable. Besides, most of the the FE lords use swords, and we don't really need yet another sword-user in this game.

That's probably why she was the FE Assist Trophy.

I don't know if you're trying to refute something or not, lol.

Anyhow, Fire Emblem actually doesn't have many iconic characters apart from Marth. I'd rather just them do a popularity poll on the Fire Emblem lords and have them used, of course with Marth being guaranteed regardless. I think Ike from his popularity boost thanks to Brawl would make it as well, with the other representative being fair game.

Uh, yes, it is. That's the reason clones existed in Melee; Pichu, Roy, and Young Link especially all played extremely similar to Pikachu, Marth, and Link, respectively.

Actually, as someone who spends far too much time in various Smash communities for his own good, that's exactly what it means. Hence why Falco and Ganondorf are considered clones. If we go outside the realm of Smash Bros., the word "shotoclone" exists for a reason.

But if that is what makes a clone to people, then people should stop saying "clone" like it's a bad thing.

The one thing I'll agree with you on; clones are not bad.

Edited by shinpichu

I think that, honestly, Roy could probably make it in the new games with only a little tweaking from Melee. I think a side special would be exactly the first part of his 1 range SoS animation. (long jump and a bit of vertical gain would be an awesome semi-meteor and recovery move.) I think Counter could be changed to an evade-and-counterattack for difference.

Fire Emblem is doing better than Star Fox, which has three characters and an Assist. Fire Emblem should have the same or more. Chrom or another Awakening character is practically guaranteed with Arena Ferox, although...lots of swords already, so possibly another character, like Virion or even a custom Tactician. (Please be Virion.)

Isaac or Matthew is actually a possibility, with 2010's Dark Dawn, and Isaac's appearance in Brawl. They could both be interesting to play as, using both sword and magic. (Think Onion Knight or Squall from Dissidia Final Fantasy.)

Sora could actually be possible, with how many Kingdom Hearts games are on Nintendo systems and Square Enix and Nintendo's relations, although Tiz from Bravely Default is also very likely. See above section for how Sora would play.

Last, but not least:

REGGIE!

I think that, honestly, Roy could probably make it in the new games with only a little tweaking from Melee. I think a side special would be exactly the first part of his 1 range SoS animation. (long jump and a bit of vertical gain would be an awesome semi-meteor and recovery move.) I think Counter could be changed to an evade-and-counterattack for difference.

They could always just use his Project M moves, they're awesome.

Also, is it bad that the character who I'm most hyped about right now is Dedede?

Actually, as someone who spends far too much time in various Smash communities for his own good, that's exactly what it means. Hence why Falco and Ganondorf are considered clones. If we go outside the realm of Smash Bros., the word "shotoclone" exists for a reason.

The one thing I'll agree with you on; clones are not bad.

To me, "clone" just implies that there's little, if any, difference in choosing one character over the other, so calling Link and Toon Link clones just makes no sense. What's the point of the term otherwise?

I left Falco and Ganon out because they're less cloney, but they are still cloney enough in Melee (not in Brawl).

To me, "clone" just implies that there's little, if any, difference in choosing one character over the other, so calling Link and Toon Link clones just makes no sense. What's the point of the term otherwise?

I think there are people who dislike "clones" because they perceive them as lazy/uninspired. Coming up with a fully unique character with new attacks and animations takes a lot more work than just adjusting the hitbox properties of an existing character.

FYI, Sakurai apparently calls them "model swap characters."

Since it's almost guaranteed an Awakening character will join, and likely not Lucina due to Marth's existence, who do you think will join in? An axe-user? Lances? Virion?

Can I choose "none of the above"?

Either Chrom or Robin will be our poison FE13 character.

Hair color has nothing to do with it. Micaiah and Robin are very different in personality and they wouldn't even be clones, as Miccy's main weapon type is the one type Robin can't even use.

I know that, I wasn't saying they would be clones. I was making a joke. :/

Challenger Approaching!

VIRION!

He'd be fun to play as, with there not really being any projectile based characters in Smash Bros yet. Although, Robin and Google Chrom are definitely more likely. Wait until February 4th, see what Fire Emblem thing gets posted as the daily picture. (One year anniversary of release.)

For playable, I'm guessing Lucina, if there's an Awakening representative at all, which I hope not.

As for trophies from Awakening, Chrom, Tiki and maybe Validar? For reference to the Brawl trophies that weren't playable/assist trophies, they were Ashnard, Elincia, Black Knight and Sothe (FE10 design).

Well with discussing the Fire Emblem representative, Every FE lord has potential for a different moveset. Actually, compared to that of Hector, Ephraim, Micaiah, Roy and Lyn, his would seem to be much less interesting.

I actually don't like this trend where the latest FE game = new lord for Smash Bros. I'd much prefer Sakurai to go back to the previous games and look at the most iconic characters, instead of having a roster of Fire Emblem lords that are here only because they were the latest game at the time. I'd much prefer Lyn who's the first lord representative to the US market and well. I think she's the only 'myrmidon' lord and the second female lord to give game over status in Fire Emblem. Will I think Sakurai go back to previous lords that are the most popular of the series or the most iconic? No, to be honest. I think the next FE rep will be chosen based off of the latest game, which is understandable, just not - in my opinion - preferable.

This is just circumstance. It is not a trend. Roy was chosen over Leif because Sakurai liked his design more, Ike and Roy were both planned for Brawl, Roy along with Mew two had significant development. But in the end both didnt make it due to time constraints. There is no *trend* it just looks like there is one to someone who doesn't know the inner most development of smash

Challenger Approaching!

VIRION!

He'd be fun to play as, with there not really being any projectile based characters in Smash Bros yet. Although, Robin and Google Chrom are definitely more likely. Wait until February 4th, see what Fire Emblem thing gets posted as the daily picture. (One year anniversary of release.)

February 4th was just the North American release date. April 19th is both the two-year anniversary of the Japanese release and the one-year anniversary of the European release. I'd look for some Awakening-related info on that day.

I hope that a character from Awakening gets in. Awakening was the game that turned Fire Emblem from a niche series in the west to a popular one. It probably would have swept every 3DS awards if A Link Between Worlds wasn't released (in the west) in the same year, and basically everyone I know who has a 3DS has Awakening and thinks it's great.

Still, the Western audiences are important to game sales, causing quite a bit of income for Nintendo's games, so there might be a little appeal to them.

Edited by Ninian