SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

And you need to work on not acting like an asshat all the time.

Sales. Mean. Nothing. Sakurai didn't care that Ike's games didn't sell well when he put Ike and a bunch of Tellius content into Brawl and I don't think he'll start caring now. Which FE games got the most trophies? The Tellius series. Which got the most music? The Tellius series. Which got the most stickers? The Tellius series.

Also, you're missing my point entirely. Sales do not equal popularity. The Tellius series is liked far more than their sales suggest. And Thracia didn't sell well, but it's apparently loved.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it, the reason why Tellius got so much attention was because Brawl was on the same system as FE10, and since that was the most recent FE at the time, there were a lot of Tellius representation.

Now, I believe Chrom will be the new Ike, since we're currently in the 3DS/Wii U era, with FE13 being on the 3DS. Because of that, we're gonna see a lot of Ylisse representation.

Except a lot of the Tellius content that Sakurai added was from PoR, which came out five years prior to Brawl and for the GC. The only RD-exclusive content we got was one song and a trophy in Sothe.

Edited by Anacybele

*shrugs* Same universe.

I just don't think Ike will get back in, while Chrom won't get in. It doesn't make sense to me. It's like saying Eliwood should've got in Brawl instead of Ike.

Sales. Mean. Nothing. Sakurai didn't care that Ike's games didn't sell well when he put Ike and a bunch of Tellius content into Brawl and I don't think he'll start caring now. Which FE games got the most trophies? The Tellius series. Which got the most music? The Tellius series. Which got the most stickers? The Tellius series.

Also, you're missing my point entirely. Sales do not equal popularity. The Tellius series is liked far more than their sales suggest. And Thracia didn't sell well, but it's apparently loved.

You also need to remember how Thracia was distributed.

A pre-written version of the game was originally released through the Nintendo Power service on August 28, 1999 as part of a special DX Pack. The game was later available through the Nintendo Power service as software that could be written on to an existing SF Memory Cassette on September 1, 1999. In May 21, 2000 the game was released as a standard Super Famicom game; this gives Thracia 776 the distinction of being the very last Super Famicom game ever released.

Consider that. Both of the Tellius games were sold in standard fare and only did marginally better than Thracia.

And I don't see Rey being an asshat. I see you being overly blind and constantly bringing the discussion back to that guy.

*shrugs* Same universe.

I just don't think Ike will get back in, while Chrom won't get in. It doesn't make sense to me. It's like saying Eliwood should've got in Brawl instead of Ike.

Why can't both of them be in alongside Marth? I don't see any rule stating that the game can only have two FE reps.

To be fair, SoC's always being rather condescending toward Ana, though.

Why can't both of them be in alongside Marth? I don't see any rule stating that the game can only have two FE reps.

Since we've always had two FE characters?

Melee: Marth and Roy

Brawl: Marth and Ike

SSB4: Marth and ?

FE doesn't even get as much attention as some series like Pokemon or Mario, anyway, so...

I see where you're getting at, but I think it's unlikely.

Edited by ZeeEmm

Because Fire Emblem, despite everything, isn't one of Nintendo's huge IPs like Mario or Zelda.

Because Fire Emblem, despite everything, isn't one of Nintendo's huge IPs like Mario or Zelda.

Neither is Star Fox, yet it got three reps in Brawl and is now dead.

Also, ZeeEmm, Sakurai planned for Brawl to have three FE reps because he planned for Roy to be in. I can see him planning to do three this time as well.

Edited by Anacybele

Also, ZeeEmm, Sakurai planned for Brawl to have three FE reps because he planned for Roy to be in. I can see him planning to do three this time as well.

Ah, I didn't know about that. I guess we have to wait and see what happens.

I'd rather have Ephraim in the game than Ike OR Chrom, but that's just bias on my part.

Edited by ZeeEmm

Neither is Star Fox, yet it got three reps in Brawl and is now dead.

Star Fox 64 alone was more popular and known than Fire Emblem. And Sakurai planned it? That's called dummied out data. For all you know, that could've been leftover and they couldn't be bothered to completely erase the dummied data because programming is pretty complex shit.

Also, you're missing my point entirely. Sales do not equal popularity. The Tellius series is liked far more than their sales suggest.

Why yes, but you make far more blatant statments than I do, which people tear you apart here for as well.

As for that statement, it was the most recent FE and on the same console for the sequel. I have no need to use other sources to justify that as a legitimate reason for him giving it so much representation.

Popularity is favor among people who buy the game. While we might argue semantics over here, and I'm not the best at it at all... Sales are usually associated with how popular a game is.

I love the Tellius games... not as much as other titles, but you need to accept even the slightest bit that your favorite games aren't going to gather the same passion and support from you. You see one post from another member here, another there, supporting the Tellius games and your tone already goes off as a representation of the majority (I can quote your posts).

If you think I'm just throwing crap about that part of FE because I dislike it, I'm one of the people here who could have EASILY pirated both games. But no, I went and bought it to support IS.

Talking about something you love and hoping it gets representation is fine, but it sounds from your word usage that you've already read Sakurai's mind.

While it might be slightly confrontational, you need to re-define your concept of "reasonable".

Not to mention your justifications using events of "meh" significance and your presumption to know anything about FE's Japanese fanbase. For goodness sake, I'm one of the people on this forum that knows Japanese, browse their BBS and still feel like I can't get a good enough picture of their general outlook. It really irks me when you keep throwing around "facts" for justification that you know nothing about.

And yet how many times did I cross the line and personally attack you as the person? None. But I'm willing to bet you have many instances in your view that I did.

Just look at some of the posts in this thread calling you out. Seriously. Like I haven't even posted here due to disinterest and I've seen plenty of times when someone called you out on your "enthusiasm" of Ike. You don't hesitate to shoot down other people's ideas in regards to the lords.

I'm trying to help you improve your interactions even with people you don't like.

If I wanted to be a true asshole and just tear down your self-esteem, I could.

I'd get banned, but I could.

And that would do nothing for me. Nor would it do anything for you.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I haven't posted in here ever since the Direct, due to my reaction list taking a while to compile. Anyways:

- I'm glad to see Yoshi back. I know he wasn't going anywhere, but I didn't like how he was the only one of the original 8 who wasn't shown at E3. I'm looking forward to seeing how they strengthened Yoshi.

- Regarding Zero Suit Samus and Sheik being separate now, I guess I'm okay with that. I'm glad they prettied up Samus' face quite a lot, since I felt she looked too constipated and angry in Brawl.

- At first I didn't like how Charizard was confirmed as a separate character and it seemed like that whole trailer was confirming him as a newcomer when he technically wasn't, but after I saw that Greninja was playable, I felt it was okay and balanced things out a bit (though we'd technically need a grass final evolution to be truly balanced in terms of starters if Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut, though I don't think Sakurai will give us a fully evolved grass starter )

- Speaking of Greninja, at first I was all "kind of a weird choice, but alright" but now he's starting to grow on me. He's quite awesome in terms of looks and fighting style, and I'd be interested in trying him out. Who knows? He might be my SSB4 R.O.B. equivalent (a character I didn't expect or want, but really grew on me and became my best newcomer in that game)

- I'm really glad they're moderating Smash matches online. The amount of players that'd always run away or do taunt matches got quite frustrating, and I'm glad Sakurai is implementing measures that'll heavily discourage that. Though I wonder who they'll consider more at fault if there's one person who keeps beating on another person for running away from the battle...

Anyways, major questions that come to mind right now for me:

- Are Squirtle and Ivysaur going to be cut?

- Is the rumour about Mii, Pac-Man, Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, and the Chorus Men being playable going to happen? And if so, how many more playable characters will show up that weren't listed in the rumour? (in the same way that Rosalina was confirmed but not part of the rumour)

- Are Little Mac and Palutena (if she is actually playable) the retro characters Sakurai were talking about in that one interview? I mean, they both got new games in their series rather recently, so I wouldn't really count them as retro.

I would add "does Greninja's shurikens reduce Takamaru's chances of being playable?" but with all the sword users in Smash Bros. (and how Sakurai doesn't discriminate against a playable character's chances just for using a similar weapon type), I doubt that'd be the case. Plus, Takamaru still has the flaming wand and clay bombs as unique weapons, though I'm starting to doubt his chances of being in. Well, I got Rosalina as a newcomer I wanted and I thought she was a long shot, so it's not all bad.

Edited by Randoman

Shadowofchaos:

Look, I'll admit that I've brought Ike up a little too much and I apologize that I did. I can definitely see how that's annoying and I really want to stop talking about him already myself. And I'm aware that I keep saying that, but I still can't seem to shut up about him for very long. I guarantee you I will when/if he's shown, but before that happens, doing so is just proving to be difficult for a number of reasons. Basically, either someone else brings him up first, or I just can't find anything else to talk about despite that I still want to be a part of the discussion and speculation.

But I don't think you've been attacking me in every instance that you've called me out. I DO think, however, that you're often overly harsh and get very close to being outright offensive. And I think that this time, you WERE outright offensive by typing an absurdly long laugh in all caps like you're making fun of me.

And maybe my view on the FE fanbase in general isn't entirely accurate. But I like to believe that I'm close enough to that to where what I say is at least somewhat believable because I've been to more than one FE community, and seen many many many FE polls, both in English and Japanese, for characters and the games themselves.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ryUbIMe.gif

Obviously, I have something to apologize for.

I'm sorry for being so condescending.

She's less likely to listen when I do that.

...but as a final note, Ana.

I'm starting to feel that those apologies of mine are... getting to the point where it's "empty".

When you get riled up about something you love, you see nothing but it and want everyone to conform and agree with you.

You simply forget everything people have told you before, and you don't change for the better. You still make statements based on partial information. Your passions get the best of you.

It's rather... naive.

And you're... a patience sink, really. (I don't mean that in a condescending manner)

I just feel tired... so tired... whenever I call you out on anything.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Given that it's the same dude who said Wii Fit Trainer would be shown at E3, it's pretty likely.

It doesn't say that those are all the newcomers, so we might get more than those.

Obviously, I have something to apologize for.

I'm sorry for being so condescending.

Apology accepted.

When you get riled up about something you love, you see nothing but it and want everyone to conform and agree with you.

Um, no. That's where you're completely wrong. I understand that not everyone agrees with me on my opinions. I'm friends with some people that don't. Silver Lightning is a good example. There's not much we seem to have in common when it comes to gaming preferences, but we get along great and understand that we barely agree on anything. :P

I'm just a little too vocal about my opinions sometimes. That I do need to cut back on and I will try to do so.

Ugh, Mii and Pac-man would be wasting slots. The former makes no sense to me and the latter isn't even Nintendo. :/

Edited by Anacybele

I think everybody should conform to my opinion that all characters from Brawl will probably return because so much of the topic being about that is boring and you're boring and it's boring and until given completely undeniable proof to the contrary. Is good? Is good. free love

Oh yeah, almost forgot how awesome I think the idea of separating the pokemon trainer in particular is. I've heard a lot of people who play the character heavily say that the stamina mechanic gimped at least Charizard (natch) and Squirtle's potential. Don't actually know how accurate that is myself, but I'd be happy to see all of them get a chance to improve

Edited by Rehab

Ugh, Mii and Pac-man would be wasting slots. The former makes no sense to me and the latter isn't even Nintendo. :/

I agree on Mii, but Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man aren't Nintendo, and that didn't stop them.

Since we've always had two FE characters?

Melee: Marth and Roy

Brawl: Marth and Ike

SSB4: Marth and ?

FE doesn't even get as much attention as some series like Pokemon or Mario, anyway, so...

I see where you're getting at, but I think it's unlikely.

Why does FE only havinf 2 characters in Melee/Brawl indicative of how many it will get in SSB4? DK, Kirby, Metroid, and Mother only ever got 1 character in 64 and Melee, yet they all got new characters in Brawl. Who's to say something similar couldn't happen for FE?

Why does FE only havinf 2 characters in Melee/Brawl indicative of how many it will get in SSB4? DK, Kirby, Metroid, and Mother only ever got 1 character in 64 and Melee, yet they all got new characters in Brawl. Who's to say something similar couldn't happen for FE?

It was just speculation.

I agree on Mii, but Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man aren't Nintendo, and that didn't stop them.

I meant that Pac-man doesn't even have games on Nintendo consoles and doesn't originate as a game console character. He's an arcade character. The characters you mentioned got at least a couple of their titles on Nintendo consoles. I've yet to see Pac-man on any Nintendo console. Though since I never saw a lot of the NES library, I could be wrong.