SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

iAmKXDu.jpg

I'm pretty sure the fact that this never showed up on Miiverse, as well as pretty much everything about this picture, indicates it's not official.

Nintendo never acknowledges leaks. Ever. The only exception (sort of) was the Cranky, but that was well after the fact and they were going to reveal him at the same time anyway.

Oh, I see. Well, I was sure fooled...

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I see. Well, I was sure fooled...

It did give a good rofl

Also, Banryu, source that it was proven fake?

http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-rumours-and-leaks.338842/

Indicates that the person who took pictures of it never specified if it was a playable character or assist trophy. It was also proven in this post on smashboards to have been photo-edited and probably not legit.

In short, whether those pics are fake or real is still up in the air, although I believe Palutena will be playable regardless.

Eh, fair enough I suppose. I'm pretty convinced about the whole photo-forensics thing, but I suppose theoretically that could be faked too lol. I agree, I definitely don't think it means she's NOT in; her chances of being playable are definitely up there, I'd say.

Optimism. Use it and get flamed.

I wasn't trying to flame you, and I'm not saying you shouldn't hope for Palutena to be playable-- I'm just calling you out on your reasons for assuming she would be, and for assuming other things that we can't know for sure yet. People are bound to call you out if you speak like something something is true when really, we have no idea. (Just about the only unconfirmed thing that we can be sure of is that Ridley won't be playable... *sigh*)

Yeah, there are plenty of reasons why Palutena could still be playable, but most of them are subjective and thus not quantifiable. =3=

Edited by BANRYU

quwc.png

(Fan made picture)

Hee hee...

I approve of Genesect making the cut.

Always has been a very popular legendary. <3

Mewtwo has almost a guaranteed chance to make it as well.

K.Rool. Not likely. -.-

Dillon. Already confirmed to be an asset trophy.

Mach Rider(Excitebike). Has a chance.

Vaati. Nope.

Ice Climbers. Nope.

Wolf. Nope.

Palutena. Has a chance.

Metaknight. Guaranteed.

4aob.jpg

There is NO way that four Donkey Kong characters are going to make the cut.

There's no telling for Snake, but Mewtwo, Ridley and Genesect are almost guaranteed.

cebc.jpg

Lip. Already confirmed to be an asset trophy.

Edited by Barbie

Ice Climbers are very likely actually, almost confirmed. Sakurai said it was hard implementing them in the 3DS version of the game, in other words early on in development they've been worked on for awhile. If however they can't get them to code properly in the 3DS, they'll be cut (very unlikely).

Also I don't think Genesect's chances go very high.

Ice Climbers are very likely actually, almost confirmed. Sakurai said it was hard implementing them in the 3DS version of the game, in other words early on in development they've been worked on for awhile. If however they can't get them to code properly in the 3DS, they'll be cut (very unlikely).

Also I don't think Genesect's chances go very high.

Genesect hasn't been seen in any trailers like Keldeo and Meloetta have as Asset battlers. Why didn't I foresee this before...? The answer is simple. Gene is going to be playable. That's why. The Ice Climbers were hard to code, program and develop on the Wii. Is why they didn't make it to Brawl. -.-

If Gene and Ridley makes the cut...I'll play these till their scolding hot.

Edited by Barbie

Genesect hasn't been seen in any trailers like Keldeo and Meloetta have as Asset battlers. Why didn't I foresee this before...? The answer is simple. Gene is going to be playable. That's why. The Ice Climbers were hard to code, program and develop on the Wii. Is why they didn't make it to Brawl. -.-

Uhhhh... the Ice Climbers were in Brawl. And don't you think we already have enough pkmn characters as it is? IMO there won't be anymore

Edited by VenosaurusRex

Uhhhh... the Ice Climbers were in Brawl. And don't you think we already have enough pkmn characters as it is? IMO there won't be anymore

Genesect is the utmost mesmerizing Pokemon to ever be developed. He needs to make the cut.

...And it's ok if 5 Pokemons make it.

-Jigglypuff

-Genesect

-Lucario

-Mewtwo

-Charizard

-Greninja

-Pikachu

Oh..wait. Seven. Well...this is going to be hard as there are only 5 confirmed Mario characters. Pokemon is as popular as the Mario franchise. So...it has a chance for six pokemon to be in. We have to have a chance to have an entire Pokemon team to make it in. ^^

Edited by Barbie

Genesect looks cool but.... i prefer a grass type pokemon over him :$

Shaymin, or Lilligant. ^-^

Lip's not an assist trophy, that's actually Ashley from the Warioware franchise

Oh...

Forgot. She was from Twisted.

----

I prefer the requirement of unlocking the characters with the sufficiant number of vs matches so we can be entirely surprised by who will be in the game and not having to look up the requirements to doing so!

Edited by Barbie

I prefer the requirement of unlocking the characters with the sufficient number of vs matches so we can be entirely surprised by who will be in the game and not having to look up the requirements to doing so!

I don't want to have to play hundreds of matches to get a new character.

Who said it had to be hundreds? I remember Brawl only required 22 matches to get Luigi without playing the SSE.

Anyway, at least those fan pics have Ike in them. :P

Ban, read the first post of that page you linked me, the first one. You know, the one where it says the Palutena leak is STILL LIVE.

Oh, Ana, if I recall correctly, Wolf required 450 matches, so that's the end there. Better than Soul Calibur 3, with requires, like, 1200 matches to get everything without the specific modes...ugh.

(Just about the only unconfirmed thing that we can be sure of is that Ridley won't be playable... *sigh*)

On the contrary, people are suspecting that shot of him in the direct confirms him as playable rather than stage boss (or both, but I doubt that) due to his animations and the troll-ish nature of it all. It's not really a surprise considering Ridley has been the most wanted character for a long time. It would make sense to find a way to add him in.

Oh, Ana, if I recall correctly, Wolf required 450 matches, so that's the end there. Better than Soul Calibur 3, with requires, like, 1200 matches to get everything without the specific modes...ugh.

Damn, that IS steep. :/

I don't want characters to be as hard as they were to unlock in Melee, but not as easy as in Brawl either. I hope Sakurai comes up with some kind of in-between thing. Like maybe certain event matches will unlock characters or certain milestones, but not really high ones, in Smash Run will do so.

Doing 470 battles wasn't nearly as hard as unlocking Tails and Sonic in Smash Bros Melee!

Hitting every credit in very hard mode without losing any lives was such a pain, I still haven't done it to this day...

Vs matches is how I unlock every character. If you want to make it faster, just play 1 stock Brawl/smash 4 vs a friend and voila.

On the contrary, people are suspecting that shot of him in the direct confirms him as playable rather than stage boss (or both, but I doubt that) due to his animations and the troll-ish nature of it all. It's not really a surprise considering Ridley has been the most wanted character for a long time. It would make sense to find a way to add him in.

To be completely honest, I thought that at first too... ...but on further contemplation, I think that only qualifies as wishful thinking. Let's compare what we know here: (breakdown under the cut)

- Sakurai's Miiverse post of Pyrosphere: 'An enemy from Samus' past will appear here' (paraphrased b/c I can't find the post or remember exact wording). It's obviously hinting at Ridley, as none of Metroid's other villains are related to Samus' past. You could maybe say Mother Brain, but she's an AT and thus can show up on all stages (unless certain ATs are stage-specific this time around, which I doubt).

- Furthermore, the section of Other M's Bottle Ship that the Pyrosphere represents is in fact the exact arena where you fight Ridley in his final form.

- In the Developer Direct, Ridley was not shown, but he was implied beyond any other possibility-- why hide him? I'm still not completely sure myself, but it could potentially mean one of a few things. 1) Instead of a stage hazard, Ridley is in fact a playable character that Sakurai chose not to release yet (why? Why tease him if he's going to be playable? This is completely contradictory to the other newcomers we've seen, who were kept tightly under wraps until their announcement), or 2) Ridley, as a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, isn't technically 'ready' to be shown-- maybe his texture is wrong, or his animation is slightly stilted or something, but whatever the case, his shadow (clearly implying him) can be shown, if not his body.

- it's worth noting that, though Ridley's shadow moves across the stage from side-to-side, the same as Pikachu did, Ridley's shadow is also shifted to the left from Pikachu's, clearly demonstrating that he's in the background of the stage. Watch carefully for the line along which Pikachu travels, and then the one for Ridley. They're noticeably not on the same vertical plane.

- But hey, we know that characters can be both playable in the foreground or cameo in the background, as Toon Link and Alfonzo demonstrate-- doesn't that principle mean that Ridley still has a shot? Theoretically, yes... But the difference between Ridley and Link here is that Link performs a very basic function. On the other hand Ridley is shown back-to-back with Yellow Devil in the NDD-- strongly implying practically directly stating that Ridley's role in the Pyrosphere is that he is to be a stage boss. Unlike a simple background character, this is much more complex behavior for a stand-in to replace. And who could they even get to be a stand-in for Ridley in terms of mimicking form and function? Therefore, the Alfonzo principle is an unlikely prospect.

- The Zero Suit Samus fake-out-- Sakurai clearly has no reservations about trolling us. Is that reason to suspect that Ridley could still be playable, in spite of all the evidence that suggests otherwise? Maybe, but it's an extremely slim chance at best that Sakurai would go out of his way just to tease Ridley as a stage boss, RELEASE him as a stage boss, and then just say 'loljk you guys can play as him too'.

EDIT - Another thing I forgot to mention is that Sakurai himself clearly has personal reservations about making Ridley playable. This was shown in an interview with him for Nintendo Power in which he stated that he thinks making Ridley playable would be 'probably impossible'. Regardless of the fact that he's made plenty of more outlandish characters work brilliantly (thus doing himself a huge disservice in spouting this bullshit), Sakurai's mind seems to be more or less made up at the time of this interview, and the evidence presented in the new game shows little indication that that has changed. No subspace-esque adventure mode and bosses results in the invention of the stage boss, of which Ridley is a perfect candidate in Sakurai's mind.

Believe me, NOBODY wants Ridley playable more than I do.... He's been my most-wanted character since Melee. Having him in would make this game's roster my perfect playable selection, and I'd have no further requested additions probably ever.

...But I'm trying to be realistic about it here.

I approve of Genesect making the cut.

Always has been a very popular legendary. <3

Mewtwo has almost a guaranteed chance to make it as well.

K.Rool. Not likely. -.-

Dillon. Already confirmed to be an asset trophy.

Mach Rider(Excitebike). Has a chance.

Vaati. Nope.

Ice Climbers. Nope.

Wolf. Nope.

Palutena. Has a chance.

Metaknight. Guaranteed.

There is NO way that four Donkey Kong characters are going to make the cut.

There's no telling for Snake, but Mewtwo, Ridley and Genesect are almost guaranteed.

Fan-made rosters are generally pretty poor and inaccurate, and there's generally no use putting any stock in them. Like, at all. Even well-thought-out fan rosters are bound to be wrong in multiple categories, whether from including too many characters or including ones that are too outlandish or obscure. Remember, Brawl only ended up having about 30% of its cast be new characters, and not as many characters were in as anyone thought there might be.

Genesect is cool, like... REALLY cool, but I think we can file him away under the wishful thinking category. To my knowledge, he's not even that popular among the Pokemon fanbase, just the competitive crowd. I think in general your assessments of other characters' chances are just kind of too opinionated to be accurate (not to mention downright wrong in the case of the Ice Climbers o___o).

...And it's ok if 5 Pokemons make it.

-Jigglypuff (?)

-Genesect

-Lucario

-Mewtwo

-Charizard

-Greninja

-Pikachu

Oh..wait. Seven. Well...this is going to be hard as there are only 5 confirmed Mario characters. Pokemon is as popular as the Mario franchise. So...it has a chance for six pokemon to be in. We have to have a chance to have an entire Pokemon team to make it in. ^^

I agree with the '5 max' thing, but as you pointed out... ...yeah, seven. TBH I think Jigglypuff has the best chance of being our fifth Poke. Mewtwo is cool, but Jigglypuff is technically a more unique fighter than he is. Mewtwo had his time to shine, and I loved playing as him (he was my Melee main, in fact), but I'm okay settling him to rest. :0 His time is over, IMO. (Of course, I'll be perfectly happy if I'm wrong.)

Edited by BANRYU