SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Not really. It all boils down to popularity in the end.

Pretty sure that's been blown out of the water with Lucina/Robin over Chrom and Greninja being decided before his game came out. And for that matter, Roy as well. And Mr. Game & Watch. And ROB. And Wii Fit Trainer.

Personally, I don't think a character should get roster priority for popularity solely from Smash, and that's why I'm very against Roy returning. Yeah, he's got popularity, but extremely few people who have actually played his game care about him enough to want him back, and that, in my mind, is good reason for him to not come back.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucina has the same idle animation as Marth because up until recently she was going to be just a costume. That is confirmed. She is identical to Marth aside from her appearance and the things they've mentioned to have changed so far. Hopefully has they go on they will change her idle animation and give her a few things more like her. The game isn't finished yet.

Sakurai's criteria for choosing characters has NEVER included popularity. At least as a major factor. He said so himself awhile back. He does tend to include popular characters, but not necessarily the MOST popular ones.

I'd argue that Lucina is more popular than Chrom in Japan, but everywhere else, Chrom seems to be the most popular from Awakening. Robin just plays second fiddle either way.

Lucina has the same idle animation as Marth because up until recently she was going to be just a costume. That is confirmed. She is identical to Marth aside from her appearance and the things they've mentioned to have changed so far. Hopefully has they go on they will change her idle animation and give her a few things more like her. The game isn't finished yet.

The game probably is finished, actually. It has to go through some bureaucratic stuff and maybe some last minute bug testing, but I think all of the content has been completed. I mean, we're less than two months from the Japanese release. Games generally aren't being worked on right up to their release date.

Doubt it. They only existed because they were considered if I remember correctly. Given that Smash 4 will be on a new engine, we'll probably see a "new forbidden 7" of other characters considered but ultimately not added.

I wonder if we'll see any leftover Chrom data if he was partially developed at all.

I don't think we'll ever see any data that's hidden. Nobody's been able to hack the 3DS or Wii U except for Pokemon (big surprise... >_>).

Edited by Anacybele

FE is my favorite nintendo franchise it made me incredibly happy to learn they got 4 playable characters. What I loved the most is when sakurai explained her reasoning for lucina, a free slot in the roster, of all the possible franchises that had a similar character like Fem villager and Malefit trainer already far in development, he chose Fire emblem and lucina for that free slot!!!! :D

Now I just need this smash games in my hands!

The game probably is finished, actually. It has to go through some bureaucratic stuff and maybe some last minute bug testing, but I think all of the content has been completed. I mean, we're less than two months from the Japanese release. Games generally aren't being worked on right up to their release date.

That's the Japanese date. A lot of time between the end of development and release is spent on shipping and distributing the hardware. I'm sure there's still plenty going on in terms of coding and changing an idle animation would be one of the things I consider a small tweak.

Pretty sure that's been blown out of the water with Lucina/Robin over Chrom and Greninja being decided before his game came out. And for that matter, Roy as well. And Mr. Game & Watch. And ROB. And Wii Fit Trainer.Personally, I don't think a character should get roster priority for popularity solely from Smash, and that's why I'm very against Roy returning. Yeah, he's got popularity, but extremely few people who have actually played his game care about him enough to want him back, and that, in my mind, is good reason for him to not come back.

So by this, you wouldn't want to see Mewtwo back either?

I don't think we'll ever see any data that's hidden. Nobody's been able to hack the 3DS or Wii U except for Pokemon (big surprise... >_>).

They'll hack it eventually. We're not going to get a Forbideen Wii U/3DS at release, but down the road in 2017 or something it's pretty likely.

No console is hacked right away to my knowledge.

So by this, you wouldn't want to see Mewtwo back either?

Don't know how you got to this conclusion. Pokemon fans like Mewtwo plenty. Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Pokemon's the most popular game on the entire system, so of course huge demand was there for the game to be hacked. It's possible a year or two from now depending on the popularity of this release, that Smash 3DS gets popped open.

I'm no expert on hacking, but I think that if they can hack one game for a system it becomes much easier to hack another. It shouldn't take too long to hack the 3DS version, then.

Also, we already know that Chrom is basically guaranteed to be one of the "Forbidden [insert number here]", because Sakurai confirmed he was planning him for the game and then scrapped him at some point. It's just a matter of seeing how much of his coding was complete before that happened.

Also, we already know that Chrom is basically guaranteed to be one of the "Forbidden [insert number here]", because Sakurai confirmed he was planning him for the game and then scrapped him at some point. It's just a matter of seeing how much of his coding was complete before that happened.

Uh, no. Sakurai considered Chrom, but ultimately chose Robin. It was never stated that Chrom was planned for anything more than his current role.

I was under the impression he made the decision while playing Awakening himself. And I think people overestimate how much info we have on the Forbidden Seven. Their names appear in the code once or twice. Nothing more. There's no models or sound effects or anything. It's just a line of code with their name, and in Mewtwo and Roy's case, an extra line referencing a victory theme (separate character victory themes being something that wasn't even implemented into Brawl unless you're called Meta Knight). It doesn't even necessarily imply they were playable characters. Chrom will no doubt turn up in the code of the next game because we already know he's in it. With all the evidence we have he's been worked on more than the Forbidden Seven already since he obviously has a 3D model.

I was under the impression he made the decision while playing Awakening himself. And I think people overestimate how much info we have on the Forbidden Seven. Their names appear in the code once or twice. Nothing more. There's no models or sound effects or anything. It's just a line of code with their name, and in Mewtwo and Roy's case, an extra line referencing a victory theme (separate character victory themes being something that wasn't even implemented into Brawl unless you're called Meta Knight). It doesn't even necessarily imply they were playable characters. Chrom will no doubt turn up in the code of the next game because we already know he's in it. With all the evidence we have he's been worked on more than the Forbidden Seven already since he obviously has a 3D model.

The Forbidden Seven are folders listed with the rest of the playable cast. Even if they don't have any data, they are where they are for a reason.

Sakurai's criteria for choosing characters has NEVER included popularity. At least as a major factor. He said so himself awhile back. He does tend to include popular characters, but not necessarily the MOST popular ones.

I'd argue that Lucina is more popular than Chrom in Japan, but everywhere else, Chrom seems to be the most popular from Awakening. Robin just plays second fiddle either way.

She's certainly more promoted then him.

I think this is important. Lucina's on 90% of the promotional material I've seen.

You've got:

- the artbook called "Knights of Iris" has a picture of Lucina taking off her mask

- the complete soundtrack has a picture of Lucina in a dress, along with piano sheet music for her theme

- the advertisement poster for the second series of DLC features a bunch of characters, but Lucina is by far the most prominent

- there's going to be a collectible model figurine, of which only her and two other characters get (neither of which are Chrom)

- At E3 when talking about Amiibos, they used a picture of Masked Lucina

Edited by Roku

Personally, I don't think a character should get roster priority for popularity solely from Smash, and that's why I'm very against Roy returning.

Captain Falcon confirmed for cut then. How many people who want Falcon back do you honestly think have played an F-Zero game?

Hey guys, I found the exclusive full version of today's pic of the day:

T5kz72i.jpg

UiD11pf.jpg

Edited by shinpichu

Tbf Ica that's not quite fair as Lucina has all the properties of marth sans the tipper mechanic which is pretty lame. Although I think Toon link is a lame clone as well, Wolf/Falco are good clones though (similar but different).

Captain Falcon confirmed for cut then. How many people who want Falcon back do you honestly think have played an F-Zero game?

:facepalm:

I just explained Mewtwo, and my reasoning is the same with the captain. At least, I'm pretty sure F-Zero fans want him back.

EDIT: Seriously, what is this logic.

Me: "Characters who are only popular in Smash shouldn't get priority for returning."

Responses: "Oh well then these characters who are popular in Smash shouldn't return gg bye Captain Falcon."

Edited by Red Fox of Fire