SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know who that trophy on the top-left of the bottom screen on the second picture is? I can't quite make it out

Andrew Oikonny from Star Fox. Andross's nephew and former member of Star Wolf.

Andrew Oikonny from Star Fox. Andross's nephew and former member of Star Wolf.

Ah, thanks, I haven't had a chance to play Star Fox yet

On the subject of the Picture of the Day for today, I think it's a cool idea, although because it's being integrated, I doubt we'll see the return of the lottery system from Melee. Personally, as long as the coin shooting game from Brawl doesn't return, I'm fine with this. Also it looks like every trophy on this specific screen costs the same amount, being 300 coins, I think it's logical for there to be higher or lower priced trophies based on either their rarity or their importance to a series or Sakurai. Sales are neat though, it reminds me of that overpriced weapon shop from Kid Icarus Uprising where you purchased weapons with hearts

Edited by Spiky

Brawl had 544 trophies. The 3DS version is going to have even more. I'm scared.

If it follows the format of Brawl where there's one character trophy and one final smash trophy then around 100 of those will be character trophies available in both versions (or if it does Melee's smash trophies we could see 150, or even 200 if it combines smash trophies and final smash trophies).

Have we been told if stickers are going to come back?

it doesn't look like it but you never know. I personally never cared about it as I can never take any funny pictures with any of the official arts and in SSE, I never used a sticker once in that mode.

I think stickers should be replaced with stamps! You know, the same kind of stamps we get in Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. ^^

PLEASE SAKURAI, DO EEET!

I like the idea of the trophy shop though! I just hope getting a bunch of coins to get them all won't be too hard.

I think stickers should be replaced with stamps! You know, the same kind of stamps we get in Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. ^^

PLEASE SAKURAI, DO EEET!

I like the idea of the trophy shop though! I just hope getting a bunch of coins to get them all won't be too hard.

I like this idea too. But with all these collectables its starting to look like DK64.

I like this idea too. But with all these collectables its starting to look like DK64.

Meaning? (the only DK game I've played is the first Donkey Kong Country lol)

Donkey Kong 64 is the mother of all collecthatons. Basically the game that coined the term "Collect all the shit".

The problem with DK64 is that you had to constantly juggle five different characters because the zillion collectibles you have to get on every level can only be collected with a specific Kong. Not only there was a lot of stuff to collect, but the amount of backtracking required to get everything was painful.

Random made-up example, but say you have to use Diddy to activate a Switch with his guitar attack. This opens a room that has green bananas that can only be collected by Chunky, so you go back to the tag barrel and switch. You get the bananas, but then there's a Switch that need to be stomped with Tiny, so you backtrack and Switch Kongs. After Tiny activates the switch it opens a door that has an enemy that needs to be defeated with Donkey. Backtrack and switch. After that, there's a Bonus Barrel that has to be entered with Lanky. You probably spent 30 minutes in one section of the game doing all that, and didn't get much in exchange. This stuff happens ALL through the game, on 7 GIGANTIC levels.

Most people who give up on DK64 don't do it because it's hard, but because the game is ridiculously tedious.

The trophy shop sounds interesting. I have to wonder how much more quicker and efficient it'll make trophy completion. I remember Cranky Kong being the very last trophy that I got in Brawl (insanely ironic considering Wrinkly Kong, his wife, was the trophy the game started me off with).

Also, I thought you guys might want to see this: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=234512 (Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is getting an ESRB rating of E10+)

Comparing it to previous titles (compiled by Hyperstar96 from GoNintendo):

Melee: T

- Comic Mischief

- Mild Violence

Brawl: T

- Cartoon Violence

- Crude Humor

SSB43DS:

- Cartoon Violence

- Comic Mischief

- Mild Suggestive Themes

It's quite strange that Brawl was rated T despite the E10+ rating existing at the time. I guess Snake's presence in Brawl (especially with the neck snap down throw) warranted Brawl a T rating simply for that.

I also find it interesting that Brawl didn't have "Suggestive Themes" listed while SSB43DS does. I thought for sure Zero Suit Samus' presence would warrant a "Suggestive Themes" listing in Brawl.

So based on comparing the ESRB ratings and listings of the other Smash titles (keep in mind, the E10+ rating didn't exist in Melee's time so they probably gave it a T due to their being no in-between for E and T), I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for Snake's inclusion. Wario's fart down special has likely also changed to something else (I mean, I don't see why they'd list "Crude Humor" in Brawl's ESRB's listings and not SSB4's if Wario still had it).

Donkey Kong 64 is notorious for having a ridiculous amount of collectable items. The banana fairies in particular are like an insane version of collecting Gold Skulltulas from Ocarina of Time, but so much harder to obtain. You also had to get the Nintendo coins by beating the original Donkey Kong (the arcade game) three times on a single life. I wish I were joking.

And Jave has brought up the other collectables like character-coded bananas.

Rare made a lot of games that made collecting stars in Mario look like scratching the surface. Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie both have the distinction of also having kleptomania as part of their design DNA.

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for Snake's inclusion. Wario's fart down special has likely also changed to something else (I mean, I don't see why they'd list "Crude Humor" in Brawl's ESRB's listings and not SSB4's if Wario still had it).

Fart jokes won't bump the rating up to T. Miis in Tomodachi Life just casually fart in their apartments all the time. Plus it's a running gag in the E-rated WarioWare series. Wario's mega fart is safe.

Edited by Samias

This update really emphasizes why I don't like these trophies. Most of them can not be called "trophies" because they are given randomly for no particular feat or in exchange for coins that are earned by merely playing the game. And it's not like they have any other use other then looking pretty on the shelf.

Not that I mind a collection. But in games like DK64, everything needs to be found. Like, stuff doesn't come to you, you have to explore the world to get it. Though, the differently colored bananas are really just wasting the player's time.

Edited by BrightBow

This update really emphasizes why I don't like these trophies. Most of them can not be called "trophies" because they are given randomly for no particular feat or in exchange for coins that are earned by merely playing the game. And it's not like they have any other use other then looking pretty on the shelf.

I think most of the trophies are not meant to be obtained through feats of skill (those some are), but they are a clever way of illuminating pieces of Nintendo history that might otherwise be overlooked. So yes, their purpose is to look pretty, but also as a way to drum up interest in the other games that make up a Smash Bros game. By not obtaining them all at once, you aren't forcing someone to sit down in a gallery and sift through hundreds of characters in one sitting, but you just check them out as you unlock them.

The store is just a good way of removing the random element of unlocking, though there may still be a minigame to obtain trophies cheaply like the Coin Launcher.

Fart jokes won't bump the rating up to T. Miis in Tomodachi Life just casually fart in their apartments all the time. Plus it's a running gag in the E-rated WarioWare series. Wario's mega fart is safe.

I think he's under the assumption that Wario's fart is the reason Brawl got "Crude Humor", not it being T.

You also had to get the Nintendo coins by beating the original Donkey Kong (the arcade game) three times on a single life. I wish I were joking.

Wasn't that even a requirement to get to the final boss? I remember walking through Hideout Helm until I stood in front of a locked door. God, how awful it was to find out that I actually had to finish the damn arcade game. And the animation of Donkey pulling the lever of the arcade machine was sooo damned long.

Love the game anyway. Man, now I want to play it again and collect everything.

The whole thing about collecting stuff reminds me that I still need to finish all the challenges in Brawl, before Smash 4 is released. I'm missing about 8 I think.

Freaking Boss Mode on highest difficulty. >.<

Donkey Kong 64 is the mother of all collecthatons. Basically the game that coined the term "Collect all the shit".

The problem with DK64 is that you had to constantly juggle five different characters because the zillion collectibles you have to get on every level can only be collected with a specific Kong. Not only there was a lot of stuff to collect, but the amount of backtracking required to get everything was painful.

Random made-up example, but say you have to use Diddy to activate a Switch with his guitar attack. This opens a room that has green bananas that can only be collected by Chunky, so you go back to the tag barrel and switch. You get the bananas, but then there's a Switch that need to be stomped with Tiny, so you backtrack and Switch Kongs. After Tiny activates the switch it opens a door that has an enemy that needs to be defeated with Donkey. Backtrack and switch. After that, there's a Bonus Barrel that has to be entered with Lanky. You probably spent 30 minutes in one section of the game doing all that, and didn't get much in exchange. This stuff happens ALL through the game, on 7 GIGANTIC levels.

Most people who give up on DK64 don't do it because it's hard, but because the game is ridiculously tedious.

Geez. That DOES sound really tedious.

But I like the trophies and stuff! I just like to collect things in games though, really. :P

If it follows the format of Brawl where there's one character trophy and one final smash trophy then around 100 of those will be character trophies available in both versions (or if it does Melee's smash trophies we could see 150, or even 200 if it combines smash trophies and final smash trophies).

On this subject, it looks like at least 3 for playable characters is confirmed.

From here at about 0:57: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRq5bz6ZNYU#t=62

PF4C7Z1.jpg

Three completely different Wii Fit Trainer trophies, and all appear to be different poses of her game model (unlike Paper Peach, which is also in there).

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Wasn't that even a requirement to get to the final boss? I remember walking through Hideout Helm until I stood in front of a locked door. God, how awful it was to find out that I actually had to finish the damn arcade game. And the animation of Donkey pulling the lever of the arcade machine was sooo damned long.

Yeah, it was. You also needed the Rare Coin which you get by beating the Jetpac game.

Honestly, I think the Trophy system in Smash is fine as it is, with a selection of trophies gotten by challenges and others gotten randomly. To me, the whole point of them is to collect them all so you can see the history of Nintendo in their descriptions. The bigger the gallery is the better, so the fact it has more trophies than Brawl excites me.

I hope Fire Emblem doesn't get the shaft in the trophies. I want 3D models of ALL the Lords.