SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Yeah, but we've been hearing about Smash Run and stuff for the past several months. You'd think that there would've also been at least a little bit of Wii U content.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think they just have no reason to. When the 3DS version is out, as Jotari said, they won't show anything except Wii U content.

Showing Wii U now would be kinda pointless, as they have many months to show it off. That'd be like showing 3DS content when the Wii U version is almost released; they don't need to.

Yep, showing the Wii U exclusive modes would be a bit pointless as of now, I'd almost think that as soon as the 3DS ver comes out in Japan we will have an update with the console exclusive modes.

It would distract from the current game they are trying to sell. When you think about it, the invitational kinda sold the Wii U product for a lot of people already.

Assuming that all characters have the same max amount on whatever gauge the powers use, I wonder what the max is. That screenshot has all of those equipped powers' amounts add up to 25, which does seem like a good number for them to use. I wonder how the spinning blades look in use, because it's worth 12 points at only being lv. 3, so it sounds like it is pretty good. I like how the powers are color-coordinated, just like in Uprising: Red powers are attacks, orange powers are buffs, blue powers are recovery, and gray powers are items.

I heard somewhere (no reliable source nor have I seen Sakurais post with it) but the max could be determined by character weight/size

It would distract from the current game they are trying to sell. When you think about it, the invitational kinda sold the Wii U product for a lot of people already.

Except the Wii U is lacking more in sales than the 3DS, so marketing the Wii U version would be a better business decision.

Except the Wii U is lacking more in sales than the 3DS, so marketing the Wii U version would be a better business decision.

This isn't about selling the Wii U tho. We're talking about selling the game. The only thing revealing Wii U content will achieve is spoiling customers too soon. And its not like we get many 3DS PotDs anyway, so I don't see how that's a problem. Now, if they were both released on the same day, then sure, more Wii U content is imperative, but with the split in dates by a few months, it's kinda necessary to get out the 3DS content first.

Ya know, save the best for last? (Assuming Wii U version is superior)

Edited by The King

I'm more then willing to admit I'll be playing the Wii U version much more then the 3DS ver. Mostly the 3DS ver is to hold me over before I can share the smash love with my friends in the rec and in dorm on my Wii U lol

Would you include the likes of characters, items and such? They're selling more the wii U because of visuals and graphics and such via PotD. Complaining about it at this moment is dumb, Wii U is getting its spot eventually, so please be patient.

I kinda agree with you, Ana, except that there were a LOT of Wii U screenshots a while back. Like, a 1:9 ratio of 3DS to Wii U screenshots.

Yes, but we didn't see anything from the WiI U version that isn't also in the 3DS version, is what I'm trying to get at. Maybe the Stage Builder will be exclusive to it? We don't know.

Patience is key, remember this wait is significantly shorter then Brawl.

Technically, no it isn't. Melee came out in December of 2001, and Brawl came out in March of 2008, so about six years and three months Smash 4 is coming out in October (3DS) and probably November or December (Wii U) of 2014, so over six and a half years after Brawl's release. The difference isn't that much, but the gap between Brawl and Smash 4 is longer than the gap between Melee and Brawl was. It just feels shorter because we're all older now.

Also, the fact that we don't have an exact date for the Wii U version's release yet is starting to worry me. I mean, if "Holiday 2014" holds true, the game should be four months away at the latest. Usually, when games are that close to release, we know the exact day it's coming out on. I'm starting to think we might get a delay announced on the Wii U version before too long.

Both the 3DS and Wii U versions are similar in every way except for a few features. If the 3DS is close to done then the Wii U version should come soon enough. I doubt it will release early 2015.

Edited by Ace Gamer

They might just launch a trailer/direct with final details on the 3DS version and the release date of the Wii U before August's end.

Btw, did the development of both Brawl and SSB4 began right after their respective previous titles were released? Jed is probably referring to the game's development rather than the time gap between the game's versions. (I don't know the dates of development and stuff, so I'd appreciate clarifying this doubt.)

Btw, did the development of both Brawl and SSB4 began right after their respective previous titles were released? Jed is probably referring to the game's development rather than the time gap between the game's versions. (I don't know the dates of development and stuff, so I'd appreciate clarifying this doubt.)

I'm almost certain development for SSB4 didn't start until Kid Icarus: Uprising's development was completed. Not sure about Melee, though

Technically, no it isn't. Melee came out in December of 2001, and Brawl came out in March of 2008, so about six years and three months Smash 4 is coming out in October (3DS) and probably November or December (Wii U) of 2014, so over six and a half years after Brawl's release. The difference isn't that much, but the gap between Brawl and Smash 4 is longer than the gap between Melee and Brawl was. It just feels shorter because we're all older now.

Also, the fact that we don't have an exact date for the Wii U version's release yet is starting to worry me. I mean, if "Holiday 2014" holds true, the game should be four months away at the latest. Usually, when games are that close to release, we know the exact day it's coming out on. I'm starting to think we might get a delay announced on the Wii U version before too long.

Of course if you lived in Europe the wait for Brawl was six years six months -_- I'm still annoyed by that.

They might just launch a trailer/direct with final details on the 3DS version and the release date of the Wii U before August's end.

No. In fact, there were huge breaks between the release of every Smash game and the next one beginning development. Both Brawl and SSB4 were announced by Iwata before Sakurai was even contacted to direct, and Melee was developed in the span of eleven months.

I don't think that they're going to take the risk of having to release it after the holidays. If whatever could possibly cause a delay is within their control, they won't let that happen.

Though I have to admit that I can't explain why there's no exact date yet either.

Brawl's development started in August 2005. When Sakurai resigned, Iwata told him that if there were ever a new Smash Bros, he should be the one to develop it. During E3 2005 , Iwata unexpectedly stated that there will be a new Super Smash Bros for Wii even though Sakurai and many the Nintendo executives were confused since Sakurai resigned from HAL in 2003 after finishing Kirby Air Ride and there were no initial plans at all. Thats when they pulled Sakurai into a private meeting after the 2005 conference and Iwata asked him to direct the game for Brawl. They basically never planned it all.

From what I remember don't know know the source was because it was a rumour, if Sakurai had rejected it, Iwata would of been in a predicament and there was a chance that they would of just ported Melee to the Wii with online functionality slapped on it.

Edited by kingddd

Brawl's development started in August 2005. When Sakurai resigned, Iwata told him that if there were ever a new Smash Bros, he should be the one to develop it. During E3 2005 , Iwata unexpectedly stated that there will be a new Super Smash Bros for Wii even though Sakurai and many the Nintendo executives were confused since Sakurai resigned from HAL in 2003 after finishing Kirby Air Ride and there were no initial plans at all. Thats when they pulled Sakurai into a private meeting after the 2005 conference and Iwata asked him to direct the game for Brawl. They basically never planned it all.

From what I remember don't know know the source was because it was a rumour, if Sakurai had rejected it, Iwata would of been in a predicament and there was a chance that they would of just ported Melee to the Wii with online functionality slapped on it.

Never knew Nintendo was so gambling like.