SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

But what if you already know who will be in, and just want to start playing as your favourite character and not have to go through the hassle of playing a mode you may or may not want to in order to be able to use them?

I'm honestly indifferent either way, but I can see the argument of both sides.

Once you put it like that, sure I wouldnt mind it. But like AllAroundGamer said:

I won't lose any sleep if they remove secret characters, but, it would ruin the joy of seeing the challenger approaches screen.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if there was an optional way to just immediately unlock all the characters instantly, but the traditional unlock methods were made available as well?

Thats kinda what the SSE did in Brawl. But even so, I wouldnt be too bothered by it

Thats kinda what the SSE did in Brawl. But even so, I wouldnt be too bothered by it

Well you still had to beat SSE, so it's not really the same.

That's another thing: I really didn't care for some of the unlocking criteria in Brawl. Especially with the characters that you HAD to beat SSE for to even have the unlocking criteria made available(Toon Link, Wolf, Jiggs). And also those "play x matches on stage y", or "x matches with character y." So tedious and boring.

I wouldn't mind either way. It's nice to see the "new character approaching" screen, but I'd also like to be able to experiment and use who I want from the get go.

In other news, I just found out that we're getting a Wii U for Christmas; Mom let me in on the secret 3 days early so I could pitch in on the price. But now I won't have to be stuck to the 3DS version of SSB4 only! :D

Regarding no more unlocking characters, at first I was against it, but then I realized that it might be better since former unlockable characters like Luigi and Marth will get more spotlight in videos, E3 trailers, the game's intro and such (yeah, there was Ness and Marth in Brawl's intro and the 4 unlockables in 64, but they got a lot less spotlight than the starter characters).

>FFAs

>Balanced

Since when did fair/balanced = boring? If a stage with no hazards is "boring" then it's the fault of the game and not the stage. In a fast paced game like Melee, I find even so-called "boring" stages like Battlefield, FD, FoD, Dreamland, etc. to be fun due to the hectic nature of the multiplayer.

Heaven forbid they put most of their work into the most important part of the game.

Because SSE was the only single player mode in Brawl, right?

Well, there'll always be some characters more suited to single combat and others that'll be better in free for alls. Ness and Lucas for example, is a character who's PK Thunder 2 is much more effective in free for alls since the other people will usually be too occupied to stop it.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm just saying that having a mix of stable stages like Battlefield and dynamic, hazardous stages like the F-Zero levels would be better than having all levels be stable and unchanging.

Yeah, but some people online are suggesting they don't even bother with single player modes whatsoever anymore and focus on multiplayer and competitive balance only, even removing Classic Mode (which is beyond ridiculous since Classic Mode is practically a staple to the series).

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said SSE was the only single player mode. However, it was the biggest highlighted single player mode in Brawl and it'd be nice to have some sort of spiritual successor to it in SSB4 for the people that did enjoy it, even if it wasn't as big or long.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm just saying that having a mix of stable stages like Battlefield and dynamic, hazardous stages like the F-Zero levels would be better than having all levels be stable and unchanging.

And that's what most competitive players want. We don't want to be forced to pick between just Battlefield, FD, and Smashville. some actual stage variety would be nice.

Yeah, but some people online are suggesting they don't even bother with single player modes whatsoever anymore and focus on multiplayer and competitive balance only, even removing Classic Mode (which is beyond ridiculous since Classic Mode is practically a staple to the series).

I've never heard anyone suggest this, and I frequent Smahsboards, which is pretty much the hub for the competitive community. I've just heard that multiplayer should remain the focus, and that any single player mode should be secondary to that.

I'd like a healthy balance between chaotic stages and neutral ones celebrating Nintendo's history

I love 64 I love Melee I love Brawl I love Project M

All for their various reasons. They all have ups and downs but in the end they are all extremely fun. Be i t for playing with friends. Family, tournaments. Just relaxing

Smash appeals to all

Edited by Jedi Fon Fabre

And that's what most competitive players want. We don't want to be forced to pick between just Battlefield, FD, and Smashville. some actual stage variety would be nice.

What's wrong with Brawl's Lylat Cruise? Doess the stage tilting cause that much match interference? And I guess the ghost platform in Brawl's Yoshi's Island became that much of a game-breaker?

I've never heard anyone suggest this, and I frequent Smahsboards, which is pretty much the hub for the competitive community. I've just heard that multiplayer should remain the focus, and that any single player mode should be secondary to that.

You'd be suprised what people say on GameFAQs.

I... sorry to... horrifically derail the topic with this, but I actually want to know everyone's opinion on the more hectic stages vs. the simpler ones. I mean, maybe I'm surrounded by a bunch of competitive players, but it feels like not very many people enjoy or even LIKE the more hectic stages...

I... sorry to... horrifically derail the topic with this, but I actually want to know everyone's opinion on the more hectic stages vs. the simpler ones. I mean, maybe I'm surrounded by a bunch of competitive players, but it feels like not very many people enjoy or even LIKE the more hectic stages...

I actually enjoy the more hectic stages. They're more fun and make the battles less predictable

I'm not sure if it really counts as a "hectic" stage, but I love Pirate Ship from Brawl.

Kinda mix'd on this topic. I do like stages like Mute City, Pirate Ship, and Kongo Jungle.

I'd prefer simpler stages than hectic stages unless the hectic stage have gimmicks that aren't a big influence of battle (like Halberd

Most of the time though, I just play on stages where I like the music.

Edited by DoofInAHat

Nah, there's nothing wrong with that.

I actually like fighting on quite a few of the hectic stages like Mute City, Port Town Aero Dive (one of my top three favourite Brawl levels), The Halberd, and The Summit. In general, as long as it's a stage that I can Meteor Smash in (since I'm quite obsessed with meteor smashing my opponents), you can't walk off either side to kill yourself (since those levels are hard to perform meteor smash KOs in, even if it's something like Distant Planet since one side is good for meteor smashes but not the other), and it isn't 75M, New Pork City, or Hyrule Temple big, I'm okay with the level.

lulz

Yeah, I know. I should really stop going to the forums there (despite the fact that I don't even post there or have an account, it still does bad things just reading the posts and threads there).

Ah, okay. :3

It's just apparently I'm surrounded by a TON of "FINAL DESTINATION ONLY" and I'm over here playing on the most hectic stages I can. It's the lack of predictability, I love it.

... Although that one side-scrolling stage from Melee (is it Rainbow Skyline or... something like that) can go die.

I'm a super competitive player that enjoys wacky stages casually like Norfair. I think that, ideally, both casuals and competitive players should feel at home in the next smash. Not just one of them.

I'd prefer simpler stages than hectic stages unless the hectic stage have gimmicks that aren't a big influence of battle (like Halberd

Most of the time though, I just play on stages where I like the music.

And as Such, New Pork City and Pirate Ship are probably my most played stages in Brawl~

I enjoy both fair stages and more hectic stages, though I tend to prefer less hectic ones. Only stages I personally can't stand are Icicle Mountain and vBrawl Rumble Falls. Also, I don't know ANY competitive player who only likes to play on Final Destination.

What's wrong with Brawl's Lylat Cruise? Doess the stage tilting cause that much match interference? And I guess the ghost platform in Brawl's Yoshi's Island became that much of a game-breaker?

Actually people seem to REALLY hate the tilting on LC because it messes up recoveries.

There are a few other "fair" stages in Brawl, but for the most part there are far more hectic stages than balanced ones.

You'd be suprised what people say on GameFAQs.

Lol Gamefaqs. Why are you treating them as a mouthpiece of the competitive community? Most likely it's just some trolls or people who are new to competitive play and are taking it too far. I don't know anybody worth taking seriously that wants all single player modes removed.

Edited by shinpichu

Gamefaq's Smash board in a nutshell: I want X character in and I will tell you why, X character would be terrible and let me tell you why, Ridely, Geno, Waluigi, fetishes, bashing Brawl, and praising Melee.

Edited by AllAroundGamer9