SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I suppose I got a little heated. I just don't want people to feel like their particular characters are on the chopping block because others think they are. Sorry

The Wii U is the next GameCube, it will have a grand library but its start was weak so it will go down as a cult favorite and not a huge success in the industry

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since Lucario's the topic/screenshot of the day, how did you guys find in him terms of his playing style?

I remember being really psyched and hyped about his inclusion, but being rather disappointed about how weak his attacks were due to needing to be damamged up quite highly for decent KOing power. Back then, I gave up on having him as my Brawl newcomer main and switched to R.O.B., who I found cool due to being retro, being a robot, and his tragic role in the Adventure Mode. I recently picked up on Lucario again a month ago, and I've been doing significantly better with him, by not using his KO moves (down aerial, side and down smashes, and his back aerial) at all unless I intend to KO a highly damaged opponent (since stale move negation messes up Lucario a lot more than other characters) and by shifting to a really defensive and evasive playstyle at higher percentages. I still find his KOing power rather weak though, but accounting for stale move negation has made it significantly easier to KO with him.

The fact that Sakurai said that the influence of Aura will be increased worries me a bit. Sure, Lucario being much more powerful when damaged compared to Brawl is nice, but does that mean he'll be that much weaker when at lower percentages? I was actually hoping that Lucario wouldn't be as heavily reliant on Aura if he was included in SSB4, since his KOing power at low percentages is really bad. Though if Lucario's KOing power at both lower and higher percentages in SSB4 is higher than in Brawl, I won't mind at all about "Aura's influence being increased."

Edited by Randoman

I think Mewtwo is still a shoe-in for Smash 4 at this point, especially as we know how Sakurai picks Pokémon for the roster (read as What GameFreak wants, as well as what is popular in the movies, which just so happens to be Mewtwo).

I honestly don't expect any cuts this time around, but I do think Lucas and Wolf are the least likely. Because of their semi-clone status, they are lower priorities when compared to someone else with a unique fighting style. Due to licencing issues, Snake isn't going anywhere. Sakurai has to pay a lot of money to use property that isn't Nintendo's, and he can't cut Snake at the last minute and be like "gimme mah money back kojima". I'm honestly not crazy about Snake coming back (I personally don't consider him to be a legendary all-star), but due to licensing, he isn't going anywhere.

Well, since Lucario's the topic/screenshot of the day, how did you guys find in him terms of his playing style?

I remember being really psyched and hyped about his inclusion, but being rather disappointed about how weak his attacks were due to needing to be damamged up quite highly for decent KOing power. Back then, I gave up on having him as my Brawl newcomer main and switched to R.O.B., who I found cool due to being retro, being a robot, and his tragic role in the Adventure Mode. I recently picked up on Lucario again a month ago, and I've been doing significantly better with him, by not using his KO moves (down aerial, side and down smashes, and his back aerial) at all unless I intend to KO a highly damaged opponent (since stale move negation messes up Lucario a lot more than other characters) and by shifting to a really defensive and evasive playstyle at higher percentages. I still find his KOing power rather weak though, but accounting for stale move negation has made it significantly easier to KO with him.

The fact that Sakurai said that the influence of Aura will be increased worries me a bit. Sure, Lucario being much more powerful when damaged compared to Brawl is nice, but does that mean he'll be that much weaker when at lower percentages? I was actually hoping that Lucario wouldn't be as heavily reliant on Aura if he was included in SSB4, since his KOing power at low percentages is really bad. Though if Lucario's KOing power at both lower and higher percentages in SSB4 is higher than in Brawl, I won't mind at all about "Aura's influence being increased."

Lucario was almost my main in Brawl I like his play style quite a bit and it doesn't look to be changing.

We see three of his B Moves already, Extreme speed, Aura Sphere and Double Team are all back in action

Edited by Jedisupersorry

Ahhh Lucario. One of many characters who I played a lot in Brawl when it came out then slowly stopped.

Maybe I'll try to play him again here.

Also Sakurai is certainly feeling.... blue with this game.

Megaman/Wii Fit/ Sonic/ Lucario

Ahhh Lucario. One of many characters who I played a lot in Brawl when it came out then slowly stopped.

And don't forget Marth and Rosalina for dat blue

You forgot KingDedede. Meta Knight is blue too.

Yeah. So much Blue.

Also, did anything significant happen to Pokemon today? Just in case our theory can still work

Nah but it is the 6th year anniversary of Brawl

Honestly I didn't think Lucario would be cut after seeing how important he was in X and Y, but this still surprised me! How Sakurai to (seemingly?) build to a confirmation of the Palutena leaks only to reveal a veteran many thought would be gone.

I actually worry more for Pokémon Trainer than Mewtwo now. Trainer is really three characters in one. That means, assuming Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are back, which I think is a safe bet, there would be SEVEN playable characters from that series and no real newcomers. Not to mention Lucario would be the only non-gen1 dude. It could happen I suppose, but I wouldn't be surprised if GF chose to have him replaced with someone from the newer games.

Other than that... I doubt many others will be cut, but I feel like Snake and maaaybe one of Wolf or Lucas are the most at risk. Which I hope is wrong because I like both Wolf and Lucas!

I agree that the semi-clones like Wolf and Lucas are the most likely to be cut of the remainder of those "contested seven" mentioned earlier.

I think Ike is the most likely to stay for several reasons. The biggest ones of which are the fact that he still has a large fanbase and that he's the only FE lord that stars in more than one game barring Marth. He has a unique play style too. Also as I had said before, Ike's games are still the most recent home console FEs. So putting in a Tellius stage for the Wii U version should give Sakurai even more reason to keep Ike.

I had originally wanted to main Lucario in Brawl, but his style just didn't work for me, I guess. XP

You know, actually, I was also thinking about the remaining newcomers... Personally I've been really surprised by all of the ones revealed so far (except Megaman), and I get the feeling that none of them were really "expected" or too high on request lists (I think people expected Tom Nook over Villager for example, and very few people seemed to think Rosalina was a possibility).

So that makes me wonder if most of the remaining newcomers won't also be totally unexpected characters rather than "safe" bets or highly requested ones. Most people seem to expect Chrom, Takamaru, Dixie Kong, Ridley (albeit to a lesser degree) for example, and a lot of "leaks" include them in the roster. Who knows, maybe they're TOO obvious? Sakurai loves surprising (and shocking) us after all. Maybe we should start looking at the mid to bottom of request lists instead of at the top? :P

In games released by most mortals, some amount of planned content will get cut or revised because deadlines are barreling down on things pretty regularly, and IIRC every game in the smash series has had something cut for that reason. Part of the reason for it is that games have to be "finished" a good bit before their actual release date; IIRC the last couple months are usually spent on logistics (and, depending on how well development went, possibly some mad-dash content revision and bug-fixing).

Games do get delayed to pack in content occasionally, on the other hand, but I don't think it's as simple as "this is a big game, therefore there's no limit to the time they'll put into developing it to get everything they've planned in." IIRC it's common wisdom in the industry that no game ships perfect.

Congrats, people who like Lucario

I was actually completed surprised by some of the returning Brawlers. Of those who are not a part of the original 8, like Peach, Luigi, or Zelda... not surprising at all.

But I never thought Toon Link or Sonic would make it back. (Maybe Sonic, but Toon Link?) Out of the Newcomers, I'm super excited that Rosalina is in the game! I loved her in Super Mario 3D World.

I'm actually glad Lucario is back. After playing Project M I realized how diverse from Mewtwo he actually is and it'd be a shame for his play style to be dropped. Still hoping for Ridley, who I have utmost confidence in.

So out of all the returners left we have these to see (due to it being the morning I may miss a couple I apologize)

64: Yoshi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff

Melee Survivors: Sheik, Falco, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch

Almost Melee Survivors due to being planned in Brawl: Mewtwo, Roy, Doctor Mario

Brawl: Ike, Wolf, Lucas, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Diddy Kong, Snake, R.O.B, Metaknight, Pkmn Trainer

Anyone here like Attack on Titan? I found this:

This is awesome! Must have take quite a lot of effort to make that.

So out of all the returners left we have these to see (due to it being the morning I may miss a couple I apologize)

Brawl: Ike, Wolf, Lucas, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Diddy Kong, Snake, R.O.B, Metaknight, Pkmn Trainer

I read that as Pikmin Trainer...

Bolded+italic are in because theyre 64 vets. The bolded are who I think is in for sure. those that aren't bolded might be in danger in my eyes, though I think they will return, except for PT and Doc.