SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolded+italic are in because theyre 64 vets. The bolded are who I think is in for sure. those that aren't bolded might be in danger in my eyes, though I think they will return, except for PT and Doc.

I really hope Lucas & Zero Suit make it. I'll lose two of my mains if they're gone!

Peach is one of my mains, and I can replace Zero Suit with Rosalina if she's gone. But i don't know about Lucas. I feel like he's not the same as Ness.

Speaking of Lucas I'd like another Mother 3 stage. Not one nearly as big as New Pork City (which was also a massive spoiler)

Chimera Labs? Tazmily Village? Thunder Tower?

There are so many good choices.

Bolded+italic are in because theyre 64 vets. The bolded are who I think is in for sure. those that aren't bolded might be in danger in my eyes, though I think they will return, except for PT and Doc.

I doubt Roy's coming back. There's no point in it now, his time is far over and he was only in one game not counting Awakening DLC. If any FE character is getting added to Marth and Ike, it's Chrom. Awakening was very successful, it's popular, and Japan loves this guy for some reason. I don't see any reason to choose Roy over him because of that.

Edited by Anacybele

I agree that the semi-clones like Wolf and Lucas are the most likely to be cut of the remainder of those "contested seven" mentioned earlier.

I think Ike is the most likely to stay for several reasons. The biggest ones of which are the fact that he still has a large fanbase and that he's the only FE lord that stars in more than one game barring Marth. He has a unique play style too. Also as I had said before, Ike's games are still the most recent home console FEs. So putting in a Tellius stage for the Wii U version should give Sakurai even more reason to keep Ike.

I had originally wanted to main Lucario in Brawl, but his style just didn't work for me, I guess. XP

I doubt Roy's coming back. There's no point in it now, his time is far over and he was only in one game not counting Awakening DLC. If any FE character is getting added to Marth and Ike, it's Chrom. Awakening was very successful, it's popular, and Japan loves this guy for some reason. I don't see any reason to choose Roy over him because of that.

That's pretty much why, Roy has a fan base that dwarves Ike's (not saying samurai will pick roy over Ike because of that), but it does weigh heavily in roy's favour for getting in again. Also Sakurai was sad about scrapping mew two and roy etc from brawl, so he is know to want them in his smash games. They have quite a good chance.

That's pretty much why, Roy has a fan base that dwarves Ike's (not saying samurai will pick roy over Ike because of that), but it does weigh heavily in roy's favour for getting in again. Also Sakurai was sad about scrapping mew two and roy etc from brawl, so he is know to want them in his smash games. They have quite a good chance.

Maybe Japan likes Roy more, but everywhere else, Ike is far more popular. And popularity isn't the only thing that gets characters in this game. And Sakurai's mood doesn't decide who gets in either. Also, I never said Ike would be picked over Roy, I said Chrom would be picked over Roy because of Awakening stuff. Roy has next to no chance.

I find Ike to be an idiotic musclehead with good intentions due to his RD depictions. I'd rather see Roy, honestly. Although if Ike comes, back, it better be as PoR Ike. He was interesting and funny.

I really like Mother, but I know that it isn't getting more than Lucas and Ness. Oh well. My most wanted FE character is Lucina, but we have Marth, so Chrom. He is different from Marth at least.

Uh, no.

The west prefers Roy > Ike in Smash Bros. as a general trend, as does Europe.

Sakurai picks who gets in from Fire Emblem, not Intelligent Systems. If he goes "Hey Roy can have this unique moveset", then he's in.

I personally hope Sakurai uses Ike's RD model this time. It fits better with the whole slow-but-powerful style he has right now. And I like it more. :P

Uh, no.

The west prefers Roy > Ike in Smash Bros. as a general trend, as does Europe.

Sakurai picks who gets in from Fire Emblem, not Intelligent Systems. If he goes "Hey Roy can have this unique moveset", then he's in.

Uh, yes. Every single poll I've come across that has the two in it, Ike always has more votes, whether it's Smash Bros or just FE lords.

Also, preferring Roy in Smash Bros makes no sense to me, he's just a clone of Marth. Ike is different and unique. And fans are always complaining about clones.

Edited by Anacybele

I think Chrom and Roy are the front runners as far as a third FE character go. Sales are meaningless in terms of a characters reasons to be included(hence why Ike was included in Brawl, despite his game selling poorly, and why FE7 only managed to get an Assist Trophy despite having been the most successful FE game behind FE3). So all Chrom has for him is popularity(recency/relevance doesn't make a difference). Roy has popularity as well, probably being the most recognizable FE character beyond Marth and Ike. So they're honestly on about even footing.

But Chrom's game is the most recent, as was Ike's when he was included. Sakurai also looks at that.

Also, IS chooses the FE reps. Remember, Sakurai originally wanted Leif over Roy in Melee, but IS said no, it must be Roy.

Edited by Anacybele

Also, preferring Roy in Smash Bros makes no sense to me, he's just a clone of Marth. Ike is different and unique. And fans are always complaining about clones.

toonlink.png

Sakurai doesn't care about clones. If Sakurai feels the character is important enough, he'll include them, clone or not.

But Chrom's game is the most recent, as was Ike's when he was included. Sakurai also looks at that.

I'm almost entirely sure that's not why Ike was included.

This is a common assertion about Smash, and FE characters in particular, but honestly I don't see any evidence for it. We just know that Sakurai added Ike because he was suggested by IS. We don't know WHY Sakurai went along with that suggestion, though IMO it's far more likely that it was because he would stand out from Marth. Let's not forget that there have been plenty of characters included despite not being "recent"(the ICs, Pit*, ROB, Diddy in Brawl, Sheik, and even Marth).

*No, Sakurai didn't include Pit to fill some imaginary/arbitrary retro quota, he included him because he was popular worldwide.

Edited by shinpichu

But Chrom's game is the most recent, as was Ike's when he was included. Sakurai also looks at that. Also, IS chooses the FE reps. Remember, Sakurai originally wanted Leif over Roy in Melee, but IS said no, it must be Roy.

wrong. They were going with leif but then sakurai saw roy and chose him instead

Leif's much cooler than Roy, most probably. :P

As for who I think will be in and will be cut...

Cuts:

- ROB

- Pokemon Trainer

- Snake

Characters of no Return (meaning those who were cut from Brawl, but still won't be coming back):

- Dr. Mario

- Pichu

- Roy

Everyone else will be in. :P

Sakurai doesn't care about clones. If Sakurai feels the character is important enough, he'll include them, clone or not.

I mean the fans care about clones, not Sakurai. Sakurai, however, has said that he wants fewer clones. Toon Link may be further differentiated from regular Link this time. And he's less of a clone of regular Link than Roy is of Marth. Roy is exactly the same but with fire, from what I remember. I tried both of them out.

I knew someone would bring up my liking Ike. Even though it has absolutely nothing to do with this. If I hated Ike, I'd still be arguing the same thing. I hate Mewtwo, but I still think he's going to be included over my preferred choice, Keldeo. So there.

Leif's much cooler than Roy, most probably. :P

Keep in mind that if Leif had been in Melee(assuming cednym's info is accurate), he still would have been a Marth clone.

Sakurai, however, has said that he wants fewer clones.

[citation needed]

Toon Link may be further differentiated from regular Link this time. And he's less of a clone of regular Link than Roy is of Marth. Roy is exactly the same but with fire, from what I remember. I tried both of them out.

>says Toon Link will be differentiated from Link despite no evidence that anything of the sort has happened

>says Roy can't be differentiated from Marth

>says Toon Link will be differentiated from Link despite no evidence that anything of the sort has happened

>says Roy can't be differentiated from Marth

I don't see how Roy can be much different. Toon Link has a variety of options because of the Four Sword Zelda games. Roy does not.

I don't see how Roy can be much different.

It's not hard to swing a sword in different ways.

Also: http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/roy

And since you're going to bring up the clone thing again, here's a good summary of the differences between Marth/Roy in Project M:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1uhvo8/marth_and_roy_mains_whats_different_and_similar/

Toon Link has a variety of options because of the Four Sword Zelda games. Roy does not.

And yet he hasn't been seen using any of them. At most, he's maybe gotten ONE move replaced(though I doubt the boomerang is going anywhere for EITHER Link)

I actually wouldn't mind Roy returning. He wasn't my favourite in Melee, but he was still a welcome addition in my opinion. If he does return I do hope they declone him, either with a sword of seals or a more rapier based fighting style.

He appeared in Smash already so I think that at least puts him on the table and it would be a nice change to have someone without blue hair appear.

I was never a big fan of Ike so I'm rooting for Roy if only one of them can make it.

Edited by Sasori

Maybe Japan likes Roy more, but everywhere else, Ike is far more popular. And popularity isn't the only thing that gets characters in this game. And Sakurai's mood doesn't decide who gets in either. Also, I never said Ike would be picked over Roy, I said Chrom would be picked over Roy because of Awakening stuff. Roy has next to no chance.

Can you show us the big polls on busy fora that have Ike in a higher spot to back up your statement? I never said popularity is the only thing, it is however a big factor. About samurai's mood:

Disappointingly for some fans, not every character from the previous games will be returning in this new instalment. We’re really hoping Snake, Toon Link and the Pokémon trainer still makes the cut alongside the Nintendo regulars (Falco, Lucario and Lucas, we could live without) – but the issue for Sakurai seems to be one of time. "We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point," Sakurai says. "Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes.

"However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character. So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

He wants to bring in as many characters as he can, pleasing fans. Roy is incredibly popular the world over, especially in japan, samurai's core audience.

I also never said you said Ike would be picked over roy, I said that Roy's inclusion will not mean Ike will get cut or vice versa. Please stop putting words in my mouth that I have not spoken. Chrom is irrelevant to my argument and there is no reason to bring him up.

To conclude: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ssb4-poll-lounge-come-in-a-chat.324324/

2300 people voted, look at where roy is, and where ike is.

To be clear, I am not saying Ike will be cut, not do I want him to be. However, what I do object to is you saying roy has next to no chance just because of your bias towards Ike. As many people have shown, your logic about Ike about why he should stay can be applied to roy and your logic about how roy will be cut can be applied to Ike as well.

They both have reasonably good chances. End of story.