SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except FE's 2, 9 and 10 she has been in enough FE games to be worthy to have an appearance.

Except FE's 2, 9 and 10 she has been in enough FE games to be worthy to have an appearance.

She's in 9 and 10. At least in the US version. She runs the tutorials.

I agree, and yet, there's this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that:

a) Sakurai might think that Ike and Chrom are too similar to coexist, and

b) That he'd prioritize Chrom over Ike because of recency/success.

Again, I don't want this to happen. I like Ike, but there's just this nagging feeling I can't drop that Sakurai might not see him as important enough to keep around.

This. this pretty accurately sums up my own guesses on Sakurai's thoughts regarding Ike.

I mean, obviously I WANT him back, (I actually like him better than Chrom myself), but I'm rather skeptical that he will return.

I'm taking that RosalinaX post with a grain of salt, but if there were to be 4 cuts, I'd put my money on Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Wolf. Squirtle and Ivysaur I think are obvious at this point. Lucas, despite not really being a clone, does still feel redundant with Ness in there, so I find there's little reason for him to stay. Wolf doesn't seem important enough to justify a third slot for a dead series, and Falco isn't going to be the Star Fox character that gets cut.

If any of them get confirmed as returning, my next guesses would be Snake and Ike. Snake for the same reasons as everyone else, but due to the history of him getting into Brawl in the first place and almost being in Melee, I think he stands a better chance of returning. I feel like Ike represents a different era of Fire Emblem than Marth or anyone else they would add from the series and so could stay based on that and the fact that the series is (hopefully) currently on the rise with Awakening's success.

Actually, I think Wolf and Lucas are a lot more likely to stick around than Snake and Ike. :0 Ike for the aforementioned reasons, and Snake because he actually has very little to do with Nintendo anymore-- as demonstrated by PS All-stars, the MGS franchise is more closely tied to Playstation now. I definitely agree that Ike is a significant part of the FE series, but I wonder if Sakurai will see it that way as well-- he doesn't seem very closely tied or interested to the series.

Wolf and Lucas, on the other hand, are both quite unique, more unique than I think most people realize due to their technical status as clones (albeit HIGHLY Luigified).

I've got a feeling this is a good possibility at this point, if Sakurai really is a big FE fan, I'm sure he's at least considered it. Anna could have a different fighting style; a more underhanded fighting style with quick sword strikes or something similar. I'm lost with what he could do for final smashes and stuff, but I'd totally play as Anna on the side. Also alternate costumes from previous games could work

No, you guys.

Assuming that Anna's appearances throughout the series are sufficient reason to make her playable is a HUGE fallacy for reasons that I'd prefer not to go into. Believe me... please...? She IS that unlikely.

Actually, Sakurai is a big fan of FE, Banyru. Or at least that's what I heard.

Also, guys, I was obviously talking about lord characters. xP

Actually, I think Wolf and Lucas are a lot more likely to stick around than Snake and Ike. :0 Ike for the aforementioned reasons, and Snake because he actually has very little to do with Nintendo anymore-- as demonstrated by PS All-stars, the MGS franchise is more closely tied to Playstation now. I definitely agree that Ike is a significant part of the FE series, but I wonder if Sakurai will see it that way as well-- he doesn't seem very closely tied or interested to the series.

Snake has always had more ties to Playstation than any other of the current console publishers. MGS was published on the Playstation, MGS2 & 3 came out on PS2 before being ported to XBox and 3DS later, Porable Ops was/is only on the PSP, MGS4 is still a PS3 exclusive....the only MGS games on Nintendo systems at Brawl's time were:

-Metal Gear (NES, usually seen as a butchered port)

-Snake's Revenge(NES, non-canon)

-Metal Gear Ghost Babel(GBC, non-canon, but usually seen as good)

-Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (Gamecube, remake of the first MGS).

So the whole "Snake is more of a Sony guy so he can't be in" is pure BS. If that was an issue, he wouldn't have gotten in Brawl.

Edited by shinpichu

Oh well maybe I'm wrong! :0 I will admit that his featuring the Tiki trophy in the NDD video seems to suggest a certain level of savviness to the series...

EDIT:

So the whole "Snake is more of a Sony guy so he can't be in" is pure BS. If that was an issue, he wouldn't have gotten in Brawl.

That's not necessarily true at all. Kojima personally ASKED for Snake to be in, didn't he? :0

Maybe it's possible we're underestimating the 'guest smasher' factor or something, I dunno.

Either way, I do have my doubts about him returning that are redoubled for Pacman. People so often forget that Sakurai has said he wants to HEAVILY limit the involvement of 3rd party characters in the roster, lest the series lose its focus-- and we already have two of those, Sonic and Megaman. That people honestly expect as many as four third-party characters seems like a rather ridiculous stretch to me.

Edited by BANRYU

With all the speak about Chrom, I don't mean to be rude, but given Lucina's popularity in both overseas and (especially) Japan, isn't she far more likely? Neither really have anything to offer that warrants one over the other and they're both important to their respective game. The reason I'm saying this is, other than Miiverse, I don't see Sakurai getting opinion from many forums, so his information regarding our desires would be much more muddled compared to Japan, of which he would have a much easier time reading, understanding and finding whom they want from Fire Emblem, which seems to be Lucina according to the post which had people disliking Little Mac; which shouldn't be taken too seriously since we don't know where he obtained his information.

And if IS are the ones recommending the Fire Emblem character again, they'd go with the most popular (whom I think is (and I may be wrong)) Lucina.

@ Slippery: No. As much as I'd prefer to have Lucina, she's far less likely than Chrom for two significant reasons: 1) Chrom is the main character of Awakening, despite the large role that Lucina plays, and 2) Lucina is Marth with long hair, right down to her outfit. Having two so very similar character designs in the roster is a pretty poor choice from an aesthetic and practical standpoint. And, given that she and Chrom have pretty much all the same abilities, Chrom is the much more logical choice.

Sakurai is a FE fan (at least he's a fan of the Akaneia games). His favourite character is Navarre FYI.

I actually totally didn't know that. Is good to know~

However, I still think Anna has a completely guaranteed 0% chance of being playable. Why? Oh I dunno, maybe Toad can tell you. Or General Pepper... Or Samus' ship... or any other merchant NPC character...

Anna was playable in ONE, count it, ONE game. In the rest, she was a practically-inconsequential side character/cameo. Don't get me wrong, I like Anna (in games not subtitled Awakening), but she's pretty objectively NOT playable material.

Edited by BANRYU

Anna is definitely trophy material, imo. She HAS had a lot of game appearances regardless of actually being playable in only one.

I only see Lucina being in as a costume swap of Marth or an assist trophy. If not either of those, than just a regular trophy. Popularity alone doesn't get characters into games. Look at Geno and Ridley. Huge fanbases, but they've never made it in.

Edited by Anacybele

That's not necessarily true at all. Kojima personally ASKED for Snake to be in, didn't he? :0

Maybe it's possible we're underestimating the 'guest smasher' factor or something, I dunno.

And why would he not ask this time? He and Sakurai are still buddies.

Either way, I do have my doubts about him returning that are redoubled for Pacman. People so often forget that Sakurai has said he wants to HEAVILY limit the involvement of 3rd party characters in the roster, lest the series lose its focus-- and we already have two of those, Sonic and Megaman. That people honestly expect as many as four third-party characters seems like a rather ridiculous stretch to me.

So what do you think of the Special Flag?

The Kids/other characters they should have and are likely to have apperances are...

Playable Characters

-Paula(Earthbound)

-Kumatora(Mother 3)

-Ninten(Mother)

Women

-Saria(TheLegendOfZelda OOT)

-Pauline(Donkey Kong. Mario's Brooklyn sweetheart)

-Roll(Mega Man)

-Jody Summer(FZero)

-Goombella(Paper Mario. The Thousand Year Door)

-Iris(Mega Man X4)

-Mother Brain(Metroid)

-Gandrayda(Metroid Prime 3)

-Dark Samus(Metroid Prime)

-Plum(Mario Golf)

-Cream(Sonicthehedgehog)

-Rouge(Sonicthehedgehog)

-Midna(The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

-Dixie Kong(Donkey Kong)

Other

-Ryu Haribaysa (Ninja Gaiden)

-Wart(Super Mario Bros 2)

-Geno(The Legend Of The Seven Stars)

-Mallow(The Legend Of The Seven Stars)

-Ridley(Playable. Metroid)

-Knuckles(Sonic The Hedgehog)

-Tails(Sonicthehedgehog)

-Shirley(Pilotwings)

-Big Al(Pilotwings)

-Dr.Wright(Sim City)

-Base(Mega Man)

-Treble(Mega Man)

-Protoman(Megaman) He's Mega/Rock Man's fucking brother. :3

-Zeke/Julie(ZombiesAteMyNeighbors)

Assistance (Battle/Trophies)

-Kat(Warioware Inc)

-9-Volt(Warioware Inc)

-Ana(Warioware Inc)

-Mona(Warioware Inc)

-Sonja(Advance Wars)

-Max (Advance Wars)

-Nell(Advance Wars)

-Space Pirate(Metroid)

-Ruto(Zelda 2) The "I am Error" guy.

-The Princess of the Zora Kingdom(TheLegendOfZelda OOT)

-Kat(Starfox)

-Agatha(The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

Is what they should suggest.

Edited by Dark_Huntress

....Aya, what? A lot, if not all of those have impossible written all over them

Some of them on the list should be DLC only characters. You have to pay and download them.

Anna is definitely trophy material, imo. She HAS had a lot of game appearances regardless of actually being playable in only one.

Now THIS I agree with. Prime trophy material for sure.

And why would he not ask this time? He and Sakurai are still buddies.

So what do you think of the Special Flag?

I could be mistaken, but I heard somewhere that Kojima DIDN'T ask. The games' creators are bound by their company rules, too; it's entirely possible that something in the corporate world transpired that we don't know about, most likely to do with PS all-stars and stuff. Of course... ...it's not like I know anything more than you guys about their legal obligations and whatnot, so I suppose your guess is as good as mine.

The special...? I'm sorry, the whatnow? o__0 *googles* ....well, sunnovabitch! How have I never heard about that yet?

Honestly though, I think that reinforces more than ever that it's highly unlikely for Pacman to be playable. I can't honestly see Namco getting much more special consideration than that. o___o

Some of them on the list should be DLC only characters. You have to pay and download them.

Erm... this is purely hypothetical and/or just-for-fun speculation, right? Overlooking the fact that most of those characters are highly unlikely choices, Sakurai has blatantly stated before that they pretty much plan on releasing no DLC for SSB4. o___o I might not be recalling his wording properly, but I'm fairly certain of his intent...

Edited by BANRYU

...Except practically ALL of them are not necessary. Ridley on the other hand, is for other reasons, but other than him, everyone on your list hasn't even a ghost of a chance. Granted, I can't judge for all of the assists

...Except practically ALL of them are not necessary. Ridley on the other hand, is for other reasons, but other than him, everyone on your list hasn't even a ghost of a chance. Granted, I can't judge for all of the assists

Liquid Snake should get an appearance. I hope.

Anna's good trophy material, but hopefully they'll include a few iterations of her on the single trophy (they've done similar things with the Kirby hats and probably will with Megaman's final smash). Or maybe that's just me cause I find her clothes in FE13 pretty ugly, lol.

Other trophies I'm guessing could be Lyn, Ike, Marth (these three basically confirmed anyhow), Micaiah, Avatar, Katarina, Soren/Sothe and of course Lucina or Chrom.

Although, we're not exactly sure how the trophies will be done this time. In Brawl, about 90% of the trophies were just FE9/10, which I found pretty sad to be honest. Hopefully, a wider range of Fire Emblem games will get trophies this time, but I'm not expecting anything. I'd love to see FE4-5 trophies, but I don't see that happening till the games gets a remake or something.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell if the trophies from Brawl were just direct rips from the models from FE9/10?

I could be mistaken, but I heard somewhere that Kojima DIDN'T ask. The games' creators are bound by their company rules, too; it's entirely possible that something in the corporate world transpired that we don't know about, most likely to do with PS all-stars and stuff. Of course... ...it's not like I know anything more than you guys about their legal obligations and whatnot, so I suppose your guess is as good as mine.

He said in an interview that he doesn't know if Snake is in the game or not(or words to that extent). Of course, if Snake is in the game he's likely under an NDA so we can't take him at his word.

Some have suggested that the smirk he apparently had on his face when he said that suggest that he knows something he's not letting on, but that's a bit reaching IMO.

-Pauline(Donkey Kong. Mario's Brooklyn sweetheart)

-Plum(Mario Golf)

The most insignificant characters in the Mario franchise....

-Ryu Haribaysa (Ninja Gaiden)

-Zeke/Julie(ZombiesAteMyNeighbors)

It's actually Hayabusa. And why, oh why did you say Hayabusa when Ninja Gaiden and Smash have nothing to do with each other and Tecmo isn't even involved with it.

And Zombies Ate My Neighbors? A game that hasn't been relevant since the year I was born?

I did forget to mention Anna and Lucina as they too could have a chance.

Pauline isn't insignificant as she has appered in other franchises of the Donkey Kong games for the DS.

-NES Donkey Kong games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_vs._Donkey_Kong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_vs._Donkey_Kong_2:_March_of_the_Minis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_vs._Donkey_Kong:_Minis_March_Again!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_vs._Donkey_Kong:_Mini-Land_Mayhem!

These. I hardly think are insignificant.

Edited by Dark_Huntress

I'm confused why Ninja Gaiden would get a rep, the only thing Team Ninja has done for Nintendo is ruin Metroid.

If there's any more third party characters, I would suspect either a Castlevania or Soul Calibur reps, maybe Pac-Man.

Edited by Knight

I'm confused why Ninja Gaiden would get a rep, the only thing Team Ninja done for Nintendo is ruin Metroid.

If there's any more third party characters, I would suspect either a Castlevania or Soul Calibur reps, maybe Pac-Man.

Out of that...Pac Man will most likely be it.