SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

It's starting to seem like people expect Chrom more than actually want him. Anyone else around here feel this way?

I kinda want him because I was a fan of There Will Be Brawl and having Matthew Mercer in an actual Smash game would be great.

But I'd like Lucina, Lyn (though she's already deconfirmed), or Hector more. And, factoring in non-lords (none of whom have any chance whatsoever), Tharja, Walhart, Owain, and Henry would also be higher than Chrom on my "want" list from Awakening alone.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think King K. Rool actually has a fair chance, in terms of slots to fill anyway. Fans want him a lot too.

Chrom, I like his chances. (Was M.M. sworn to secrecy by Nintendo ninjas?)

King K Rool creeps me a little, but he has the potential to be in smash, but tbh, i would prefer to have a less heavy villain (even lighter than wolf) you know, speedy and agile and stuff

Edited by SoulSilver

I don't even understand why people want K. Rool. He's dumb-looking and not very interesting. I'd much prefer Dixie as a new DK rep.

Personally it's more on an objective level... I suppose you'd have to ask a DKC fan why, but he's been in a lot of games, so I assume he has some kind of character or impact. :0

Pic of the Day:

daily.jpg

I'm not getting any Miiverse quotes yet again, which is a shame because I don't recognize the green skulls at all.

The Devil Axe is probably the best pick for a Fire Emblem item that should be brought in, since it's practically a staple to Fire Emblem, though Sakurai might think otherwise due to the backfiring effect being similar to the Hammer/Gold Hammer and there being too many melee weapon type items already (like the Home Run Bat, Beam Sword, Lip's Stick, and the Fire Bar).

Also, have some Zero Suit Wario:

274025-wwww.jpg

Ah, yeah, that's true. Many a times did casuals stopped playing altogether when I sit down. They eventually get tired of losing so badly. In the worst of cases, sometimes they call stuff cheap and are of the butthurt type :P.

Anyway, I wonder if we'll get Chrom, Palutena, Shulk and pac-man at E3. I have no reason to doubt that leaker anymore. It's too improbably to get Wii Fit trainer, Villager, etc right.

I can recall quite a few times when people got upset at my playing style/moves, including people getting upset every time I meteor smash them (y'know, you're more than welcome to do the same to me, and I'll actually be impressed you succeed), simply grabbing with the Ice Climbers despite not chain-grabbing, successfully dodge rolling as Brawl Ganondorf (yeah, don't ask about that one), Bowser-ciding off the edge (and I only do that to the opponent with the highest stock count), among others.

I'm quite curious which newcomers they'll be showing off at E3 as well. E3 will also probably be the last time they'll show off any 3rd party characters in Smash (since newcomer or not, they get a special video. And since the 3DS Smash Bros. will be out by August, there very likely won't be any more directs pertaining to Smash Bros. newcomers).

Weird question, but does anyone think that if E3 is over without Snake or Pac-Man being revealed (or any other 3rd party character), it's the final nail in the coffin regarding them not being included? I can't help but think that, since we get Smash Bros. newcomer or 3rd party updates every 2 months, and 2 months after E3, the 3DS Smash Bros. will be out. Also, I higly doubt they'd be saving a 3rd party reveal until the month before, since 3rd party characters (even Pac-Man, to a certain extend) help market Smash Bros. to more crowds.

It's starting to seem like people expect Chrom more than actually want him. Anyone else around here feel this way?

I thought it was like that ever since FE13 was announced. Either way, I don't know much about Chrom since I've never played FE13. But I personally won't mind too much regarding what happens with FE character representation, so long as Marth stays. Though I'll admit, it would be nice to have non-blue haired playable FE characters and FE characters that use other weapon types, but not at the cost of putting in characters that don't play a major role in their game's story like Tharja. Anna is okay though since she's a heavily reoccurring character in FE.

I thought it was like that ever since FE13 was announced.

To be completely honest, I haven't been following fan speculation and discussion except for the past month or so, so I might be a little behind on some things. Still, I already didn't want to see Chrom in, and now I want him even less. I mean, it would be one thing if there was a large group of people who legitimately want to see him in, but if he makes it after it's mostly just expectations and not much else...that would be infuriating. Especially if he gets in and Ike leaves.

Pic of the Day:

daily.jpg

I'm not getting any Miiverse quotes yet again, which is a shame because I don't recognize the green skulls at all.

it's an Orne from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Pic of the Day:

daily.jpg

"The menacing foe, Orne! It inflicts devastating damage--it's even more powerful than the Ultimate Chimera in the last game. RUNNN!!"

Pic of the Day:

daily.jpg

The Devil Axe is probably the best pick for a Fire Emblem item that should be brought in, since it's practically a staple to Fire Emblem, though Sakurai might think otherwise due to the backfiring effect being similar to the Hammer/Gold Hammer and there being too many melee weapon type items already (like the Home Run Bat, Beam Sword, Lip's Stick, and the Fire Bar).

Also, have some Zero Suit Wario:

*is not here*

I can recall quite a few times when people got upset at my playing style/moves, including people getting upset every time I meteor smash them (y'know, you're more than welcome to do the same to me, and I'll actually be impressed you succeed), simply grabbing with the Ice Climbers despite not chain-grabbing, successfully dodge rolling as Brawl Ganondorf (yeah, don't ask about that one), Bowser-ciding off the edge (and I only do that to the opponent with the highest stock count), among others.

I'm quite curious which newcomers they'll be showing off at E3 as well. E3 will also probably be the last time they'll show off any 3rd party characters in Smash (since newcomer or not, they get a special video. And since the 3DS Smash Bros. will be out by August, there very likely won't be any more directs pertaining to Smash Bros. newcomers).

Weird question, but does anyone think that if E3 is over without Snake or Pac-Man being revealed (or any other 3rd party character), it's the final nail in the coffin regarding them not being included? I can't help but think that, since we get Smash Bros. newcomer or 3rd party updates every 2 months, and 2 months after E3, the 3DS Smash Bros. will be out. Also, I higly doubt they'd be saving a 3rd party reveal until the month before, since 3rd party characters (even Pac-Man, to a certain extend) help market Smash Bros. to more crowds.

I thought it was like that ever since FE13 was announced. Either way, I don't know much about Chrom since I've never played FE13. But I personally won't mind too much regarding what happens with FE character representation, so long as Marth stays. Though I'll admit, it would be nice to have non-blue haired playable FE characters and FE characters that use other weapon types, but not at the cost of putting in characters that don't play a major role in their game's story like Tharja. Anna is okay though since she's a heavily reoccurring character in FE.

Is there a source, or is this speculation?

3DS Version will be out in the summer. E3 is in June IIRC, so that leaves to months after E3 for the game to be released(assuming summer means until the end of August)

It's not officially confirmed, but it's easy to infer.

Can't quote atm.

@ Randoman- I get more complaints with edgeguarding/gimping from them.

And somehow, I don't think Snake would be revealed at E3 again. He was revealed in E3 back in Brawl too, right? I don't see Sakurai revealing him there. At this point though, i think that if he's in, he's gonna be unlockable and not revealed at all before release.

(wariopic)

And somehow, I don't think Snake would be revealed at E3 again. He was revealed in E3 back in Brawl too, right? I don't see Sakurai revealing him there. At this point though, i think that if he's in, he's gonna be unlockable and not revealed at all before release.

That's a sexy piece of Wariass, Rando.

IMO things like Meteor Smashing, Bowserciding, and... ...grabbing and dodge rolling... people shouldn't get mad about. They're basics of the game, and people don't really have a right to be upset if they think they're all good and then don't know about those things lol (which is what I'm inferring; it doesn't seem likely that you're using these moves on people who are like legit noobs).

Edgeguarding and gimping is definitely more of a legitimate complaint. It's definitely part of the game, sure, but in some situations it's pretty unmanly and can make the game a lot less fun depending on who you're playing with (as in, if you're playing with people who aren't hardcore-competitively savvy).

In all situations, though, I think people will just get mad if they're not willing to learn what they can do to improve. It's one of those things where they're probably getting mad because you're shattering their delusions of grandeur that they're good at the game when in fact there are plenty of things they still don't know lol. As for me, I've had my share of such humbling experiences... It usually just makes me insecure more than mad tho lol.

EDIT: Oh, I got so caught up in the complaining thing that I forgot to address Snake/Pacman.

Ehh, if Brawl is any indication as far as 3rd party characters go, they'll all be announced prior to release to help advertise the game. I think it's a safe bet that 3rd party characters who don't appear at E3 won't be in the game, but it's tough to say for certain.

Another reason I realized that Pacman might not be a great roster choice is that he wouldn't help advertise the game at all like (IMO) Megaman, Sonic, and even Snake would; never mind the fact that he has practically nil to do with Nintendo and their history. Who's gonna see Pacman and be more likely to buy the game than they already were, honestly? 1970's/80's arcade buffs? Do they seem like the type to get a WiiU or 3DS if they're not already keeping up with the times for gaming? :0 That's one thing. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile business decision to me to go through all that bureaucratic nonsense that they have to do.

"The menacing foe, Orne! It inflicts devastating damage--it's even more powerful than the Ultimate Chimera in the last game. RUNNN!!"

How do you get more powerful than a one-hit KO machine? .___. ohgawd

Edited by BANRYU

Well, the April 8 Smash Nintendo Direct said the 3DS version would be out "Summer 2014." That's the only thing they officially said about the 3DS release date, but we can safely assume it'd be out by/before August, since September is considered the Fall season.

To be completely honest, I haven't been following fan speculation and discussion except for the past month or so, so I might be a little behind on some things. Still, I already didn't want to see Chrom in, and now I want him even less. I mean, it would be one thing if there was a large group of people who legitimately want to see him in, but if he makes it after it's mostly just expectations and not much else...that would be infuriating. Especially if he gets in and Ike leaves.

Well, if Lucario in SSB4 is any indicator, I think Ike is less likely to be cut from SSB4 solely because of that. Lucario completely went against what most people thought regarding "flavour of the month" or "the most recent popular characters" not making it into the next Smash Bros. game.

it's an Orne from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Ah, thanks. I've never played Kid Icarus Uprising so I didn't know that. I was starting to think it's an enemy from Find Mii based on the glowing green colour it had.

Do you happen to do a lot of meteor smashing/spiking when edgeguarding? That riles up people quite a lot, though I have encountered a few Smashers who are actually impressed when you succeed in meteor smash KOing them. Anyways, if I know I'm facing people who are significantly less skilled, I usually ease up and go a bit easier on them, so they at least have more breathing room in the fight.

You're thinking Snake won't be revealed at all until the 3DS Smash Bros. is out? I can't really imagine Snake not having a SSB4 intro video while Sonic did, or Snake having a SSB4 intro vido that doesn't get posted prior to the 3DS Smash Bros.' release. Veteran and returning 3rd parties get quite the special treatment in terms of their reveals, so it'd be really weird if Snake didn't get any.

IMO things like Meteor Smashing, Bowserciding, and... ...grabbing and dodge rolling... people shouldn't get mad about. They're basics of the game, and people don't really have a right to be upset if they think they're all good and then don't know about those things lol (which is what I'm inferring; it doesn't seem likely that you're using these moves on people who are like legit noobs).

Edgeguarding and gimping is definitely more of a legitimate complaint. It's definitely part of the game, sure, but in some situations it's pretty unmanly and can make the game a lot less fun depending on who you're playing with (as in, if you're playing with people who aren't hardcore-competitively savvy).

In all situations, though, I think people will just get mad if they're not willing to learn what they can do to improve. It's one of those things where they're probably getting mad because you're shattering their delusions of grandeur that they're good at the game when in fact there are plenty of things they still don't know lol. As for me, I've had my share of such humbling experiences... It usually just makes me insecure more than mad tho lol.

EDIT: Oh, I got so caught up in the complaining thing that I forgot to address Snake/Pacman.

Ehh, if Brawl is any indication as far as 3rd party characters go, they'll all be announced prior to release to help advertise the game. I think it's a safe bet that 3rd party characters who don't appear at E3 won't be in the game, but it's tough to say for certain.

Another reason I realized that Pacman might not be a great roster choice is that he wouldn't help advertise the game at all like (IMO) Megaman, Sonic, and even Snake would; never mind the fact that he has practically nil to do with Nintendo and their history. Who's gonna see Pacman and be more likely to buy the game than they already were, honestly? 1970's/80's arcade buffs? Do they seem like the type to get a WiiU or 3DS if they're not already keeping up with the times for gaming? :0 That's one thing. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile business decision to me to go through all that bureaucratic nonsense that they have to do.

How do you get more powerful than a one-hit KO machine? .___. ohgawd

Well, that guy that got upset at me for dodge rolling as Ganondorf said "yeah, right. Like you actually dodged Toon Link's downward stab as Ganondorf." In general, he really underestimated heavy weight characters.

And I agree about it being understandable when people get upset when you exploit them at their most vulnerable moments, like when they're trying to recover back onto the stage. It's technically legit and part of the game, but it's quite dirty all the same. Still, I can't help but meteor smash KO people when the opportunity comes up, since it's quite a difficult yet addicting technique to try to pull off, and it feels so good when you succeed.

Well, I can't see Sakurai revealing 3rd party characters after E3, especially since the 3DS version will be out 2 months after E3. I mean, an August Nintendo Direct would be the last time they'd reveal any newcomer/3rd party SSB4 characters (especially since they always come with a reveal video, and I doubt they'd keep the reveal video in the game and not show it publicly beforehand), and I doubt they'd do that since the game would be coming out insanely soon by then, or it'd already be out. I can't think of any other feasible time after E3 for 3rd party characters to be shown, especially since showing them under a month after SSB4 3DS comes out would be too late for them to catch fans of that 3rd party character. Also, I doubt they'd have a 3rd party character in and not inform people at least a full month beforehand, since 3rd parties are supposed to expand the audience that buys Smash Bros. games.

Pac-Man technically has a really heavy history with Nintendo (especially since Pac-Man has games on every Nintendo console and handheld barring the Virtual Boy, and with the 3 Mario Kart Arcade crossovers with Pac-Man. And Pac-Man actually served as the inspiration for Miyamoto to create Mario and make him Nintendo's mascot), but I'll agree that Pac-Man's addition probably won't get as many people to buy Smash Bros. as other 3rd parties. Though since Bandai Namco is developing SSB4, Pac-Man has a really long history with Nintendo, and he is Bandai Namco's most iconic character, I suppose Pac-Man is one of the more sensible 3rd parties from that perspective, even if he won't appeal to as many gamers as other 3rd parties. Entitling a 3rd party company to a guest character if they're helping co-develop a Smash Bros. game. seems fair enough.

The only thing I can think of that's more powerful than the Ultimate Chimera bite is an attack that not only one hit KOs the victim, but will also one hit KO any targets the victim of the attack flies into when flying out of the arena (similar to Marth's Final Smash).

I think that any additional non-Namco third party characters will be revealed before the release of the game. Any others will be spoiled by credits to their respective companies on box art.

....I hope that made sense.

Side note, but I fully expect Pac-Man's reveal trailer to be a Luigi's Mansion fake out. Or something involving ghosts from the Mario series like a Super Mario Ghost House.

Side note, but I fully expect Pac-Man's reveal trailer to be a Luigi's Mansion fake out. Or something involving ghosts from the Mario series like a Super Mario Ghost House.

That's a pretty cool idea. An the captions could be like "Pac-Man ghouls in."

I'm not expecting more then 3 more newcomers. Honestly at this point since we haven't seen more and E3 is coming up. It would be a book ends to reveal the final three all together like the first three