SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Obviously, I could be wrong (and boy, would I love to be wrong,) I just think Chrom's by far the most likely candidate for a third FE rep.

I'm totally okay with the arena as a stage, because I spent far more time abusing the arena in FE7 than anywhere else.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're wrong too, actually. :P

But I won't be mad or anything if it is Chrom, because I have Ike for my FE guy. <3

Edited by Anacybele

It could be quite a few people but Chrom is the most likely. Or Sakurai could surprise us and Roy may toss his sword into the ring again or Leif who was originally planned for Melee could show up for a revisit of his old ideas. The villager was planned in brawl and reappeared here let's remember the 7 who were planned for Brawl too. Maybe even Melee ideas could come back to light.

I don't like the constant arguments in terms of FE. Even smash boards has em and that's just because this franchise has a lot of variables I know but still the constant "I'm right, your wrong" gets old really fast

I'm convinced it's going to be Chrom. Literally no other Fire Emblem character makes as much sense as Chrom.

Which is unfortunate because Chrom sucks.

Edited by Chiko

Uh, Villager wasn't planned for Brawl. In fact, Sakurai previously said that Villager wouldn't EVER get in. Which means he can change his mind entirely.

And Chrom makes sense, but somehow I feel he would be too predictable, too obvious. I just don't see it being as simple as that. It wouldn't surprise anyone. Literally. I've been known to accurately predict the future too, and right now, my mind is telling me it's just going to be something more. I don't know what, as this ability was never very strong (I mean really, true psychic powers are just a big phony), but that's what I'm seeing.

I still think that Avatar makes JUST as much sense though. And even if we can only have one of the two and Chrom gets picked, this doesn't mean I'm wrong here.

Villager was planned for Brawl.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4465706/masahiro-sakurai-discusses-mega-man-smash-bros-s-other-new-characters

In fact, we had previously removed the villager from Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the planning stages because he wasn't suited for battle."

Sakurai has been giving us a lot of surprises though. Nobody expected Lucario or Toon Link to be back. Nobody expected Greninja, Villager, or Wii Fit Trainer. Everyone expected FE stuff in April's direct, but that didn't happen. Few expected Ike, or even any characters to be revealed between the direct and E3. Everyone's been expecting Chrom since Awakening came out, pretty much.

I'm just saying I think because of this trend, he's not going to do something THIS predictable and unsurprising. Chrom could still be there somewhere, but yeah.

I'm liking the Wii U Fire Emblem stage. The design and atmosphere just screams Fire Emblem. =D

So I guess we all generally agree that the arena is mostly referencing the Akanean games, with the Earth Dragon statues in the background and the colour tones of the Arena heavily matching the FE11/FE12 arena colour tones? I don't know much about the Tellius arenas, but I know the Magvel/Elibe arenas had more of a yellow tint while the FE4 arena battles occurred indoors.

I'm convinced it's going to be Chrom. Literally no other Fire Emblem character makes as much sense as Chrom.

I feel the same way as well (especially since Sakurai sticks with the central protagonist with series like Fire Emblem). Plus, the insanely accurate Gematsu leaker (who correctly leaked Wii Fit Trainer before E3) leaked Chrom as well.

Although some people may think that FE isn't getting a new character, the reveals recently have been hinting otherwise. With the way Ike and The FE Arena as a Wii U stage was revealed rather close to E3, it's practically setting up for a FE newcomer reveal for E3.

Edited by Randoman

Sakurai has been giving us a lot of surprises though. Nobody expected Lucario or Toon Link to be back. Nobody expected Greninja, Villager, or Wii Fit Trainer. Everyone expected FE stuff in April's direct, but that didn't happen. Few expected Ike, or even any characters to be revealed between the direct and E3. Everyone's been expecting Chrom since Awakening came out, pretty much.

I'm just saying I think because of this trend, he's not going to do something THIS predictable and unsurprising. Chrom could still be there somewhere, but yeah.

I expected Lucario and Toon Link to return. Matter of fact I was one of the more vocal ones about both, Greninja did catch me off guard though.

When smash 4 was announced I said right from the get go. Lucario, Toon Link, Sonic and Ike would return. And not many believed me due to what they had called trends or 3rd parties being simply soul calibur like guests

I recall also a very disrespectful attitude I got for supporting those 4, of course everyone has their wants. But enough about that, I was merely correcting the "nobody" part. Every smash character has their fans

Gematsu wasn't totally accurate though. He didn't list Rosalina. So he may still not be entirely credible. Just really lucky.

EDIT: Well, obviously I didn't mean LITERALLY nobody. I was generalizing. xP

EDIT2: Rando: Tellius doesn't have arenas. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Gematsu wasn't totally accurate though. He didn't list Rosalina. So he may still not be entirely credible. Just really lucky.

EDIT: Well, obviously I didn't mean LITERALLY nobody. I was generalizing. xP

EDIT2: Rando: Tellius doesn't have arenas. :P

I tend to dislike generalizations my bad on that Ana. Its just a personal pet peeve of mine

Oh, sorry about that then. I didn't know. xP

By the way, I recently remembered a really funny fun fact I found on the Smash wiki a long time ago, about one of Ike's moves. I believe it was Eruption, and the page read that it has the highest "integrated kinetic energy." What's hilarious about this? Look at what that phrase's abbreviation spells. XD

All I could say was "Sakurai, you clever, CLEVER man." lol I hope this remains in SSB4, for sure. Haha.

Something just crossed my mind: The Gematsu leak stated that a sixth gen Pokémon would be playable. Isn't that strangely vague? Someone with access to production details should be able to make that more specific. "A sixth gen Pokémon" sounds pretty much like something you would say if you were simply guessing.

Yeah, that too. If someone could get all those characters, I don't see how he wouldn't be able to also get the sixth gen Pokemon or Rosalina, for that matter.

Something just crossed my mind: The Gematsu leak stated that a sixth gen Pokémon would be playable. Isn't that strangely vague? Someone with access to production details should be able to make that more specific. "A sixth gen Pokémon" sounds pretty much like something you would say if you were simply guessing.

That does sound fishy too, maybe though they aren't familiar with newer Pokémon but at the same time it does make you think its not legit.

I'm assuming the leaker is friends with someone who worked on the game, and the friend forgot to mention Rosalina, and just wasn't familiar/didn't pay attention with whatever the 6th gen pokemon was because theres like 5 pokemon reps.

This can be explained by acknowledging that the info that Gematsu received was from early in development and "Pokemon in X/Y" was a placeholder slot. It isn't unprecedented either. Roy in Melee's game data is literally called "Emblem2" and a character from the Tellius games was planned from the beginning of Brawl's development and Ike wasn't decided on until later.

The same principle can be seen here, especially since we know that the roster was finalized before E3 last year (which was before Pokemon X/Y even came out). This would also explain the "Animal Crossing guy" as he had no defined name until Sakurai gave him one.

I'd also like to know how one guesses Villager (a character, as Anacybele said earlier, was ruled out from ever appearing in Smash Bros by Sakurai) and Wii Fit Trainer (who, while not directly ruled out, was covered by the "characters that are too peaceful won't be in Smash Bros" as well as a character that, according to Sakurai, no one ever requested to put in).

Wii Fit Trainer is the only one I can't really think of an explanation for. Villager was guessed as "Animal Crossing guy" which is vague and could have been Tom Nook or something, plus it's just not that surprising in my mind that an Animal Crossing rep would be put in. "X/Y Pokemon" as well isn't a very tough guess to have made. Everyone was guessing Little Mac.

While I mostly just don't want to believe the Gematsu leak (because Chrom is in the list), not having Rosalina in the list is pretty meaningless. You can't fault it for not guessing someone that was revealed when there will obviously be more new characters than the small list Gematsu has.

Rosalina doesn't count against the leak. He obviously didn't have every newcomer when he made his first leak, otherwise he wouldn't have made a second leak. And why bother leaking her in the second leak if she was already publically known?

Also, keep in mind that none of the Brawl leaks had full roster/stage/item list details. The full picture was leaked over a number of different leaks.

Except me.

I expected Lucario back because there was no real reason for him to be cut. Given his status as a clone, I was unsure about Toon Link, especially after the Spirit Tracks stage was seen.

Edited by shinpichu