SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about this possibility?

3DS game comes out, with a roster that is revealed to the world in like 10 hours after the game is sold by people who play and post it on forums etc (Considering none smash game has had it roster revealed 100% before the game came out we assume the same here).

But what happens now? Still 3 months to go for the Wii U version, and pics of the day will still be on the net. I really doubt it will be 3 months of Wii U new features like "Event Match" or "Story Mode" or things like that, I can see even characters there. What if even more suprise and anti hype, the day the Wii U version comes out, new characters appear in this version, and they get unlocked/downloaded in the 3DS the same day?

Technically they wouldnt have lied, both version would have same characters, just that the 3DS version had to wait till the Wii U version came out to get X number of characters, and then the suprises come in.

I mentioned that theory quite some time ago in this very thread, and likely others did before. I think it's possible, but nothing to really guarantee it'll happen.

I think some will stay hidden. I recall in Brawl they were showing secret characters on the website after the game was out as spoilers. Granted once this game is out it's only a matter of time before we know who is going to be playable anyways.

I actually want to know all the characters, so I'll probably be looking up the spoilers as they come out. I'm pretty sure you guys are right. I vaguely remember there being the "?" character slots that you could click on in the Smash Dojo for Brawl. Although, my memory may not be the most reliable thing...

When Japan shares the roster with the rest of the world, my first mission is to check for Lucas.

STILL HAVE HOPE. And I'm listening to Impossible by Shontelle anyways/

There will almost definitely be hidden characters. Brawl had 12 characters kept secret until after release, including every unlockable character that wasn't Snake or Sonic. In SSB4, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man are almost definitely secret characters, but I imagine all the other revealed characters are on the starting roster, other than maybe Luigi, as he's been unlockable since 64.

So you can be pretty sure there will be hidden characters revealed after release, including Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, probably Game & Watch, probably Captain Falcon, and others that have traditionally been unlockable. Like people have said, if it's done like Brawl they will be posted to the SSB website after Japan gets the game as big ? boxes that warn you they contain spoilers. And I will shamefully click all of them because I have no self control. Screw non-worldwide releases.

Edited by Ragnell

Wasn't Luigi available in the 3DS demo though? I don't see why he wouldn't be a default character now after that. It would just defeat the point of him being a hidden character.

Of course, I still hope that Ike being revealed already means he's going to stay default. But there's also the chance that Sakurai showed him to ease the fears of Ike fans that he'd wind up like Roy. Which would make sense, as I'd do the same, whether Ike was planned to be default or not.

Wasn't Luigi available in the 3DS demo though? I don't see why he wouldn't be a default character now after that. It would just defeat the point of him being a hidden character.

So was Sonic in Brawl's demo.

Yeah, I don't think we should take the demo as any indication of who will end up being a starter. All I would take is who is on the cover of the box arts, since it would be a little weird to feature characters on the cover that need to be unlocked.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire
lol of course they're all going to be playable

Maybe because Luigi had always been unlockable? It's like tradition!

Since 64, Luigi had always been hidden. Just because their in demos doesn't automatically make them default (I'm not saying you said this).

It could just be to advertise some characters, make players want to unlock them more. Are you saying Greninja will be default, cause tbh it doesn't really seem so likely. But, it does seem nice, kinda. I only say that because Zero Suit.

Yeah, I don't think we should take the demo as any indication of who will end up being playable. All I would take is who is on the cover of the box arts, since it would be a little weird to feature characters on the cover that need to be unlocked.

Wasn't Pit, Snake, and Sonic (does the back of the box count?) on the cover for Brawl but you still needed to unlock them via battles or story mode?

Yeah, I don't think we should take the demo as any indication of who will end up being playable. All I would take is who is on the cover of the box arts, since it would be a little weird to feature characters on the cover that need to be unlocked.

I guess. But we saw unlockable characters in Brawl's intro, didn't we? Although it was only the third party dudes (Sonic and Snake).

Still, I think Luigi needs to be default anyway and should have been way back in Melee. He's probably the second most iconic Mario character after the red-clad plumber himself. He's older than either Peach or Bowser.

Wasn't Pit, Snake, and Sonic (does the back of the box count?) on the cover for Brawl but you still needed to unlock them via battles or story mode?

Pit was a starter.

Snake and Sonic were only on the back, and presumably because of being third-party characters.

I only think he's been unlockable because, y'know, he's Luigi! It seems natural.

In 64, there's only 1 rep per series. Luigi & Jigglypuff being there added +1 to Mario and Pokemon.

I feel like Luigi was, and always will bee unlockable. Besides, I like working towards goals!

Luigi was a good surprise in 64, so I feel like they will keep doing that for as long as the Smash games live.

Pit was a starter.

Snake and Sonic were only on the back, and presumably because of being third-party characters.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess that might mean that Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man will also show up in the back?

Well, as long as the requirements for unlocking him aren't stupid. Same with the rest of the unlockable cast, really. I never unlocked everyone in Melee because the requirements got insane. Brawl made it so much easier. Perhaps a little too easy though.

There's probably a variety of unlocking methods for characters just like in Melee and Brawl. Some are gonna be easier than others. I don't remember having too much trouble unlocking anyone in the past games though... Maybe I just play too much

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess that might mean that Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man will also show up in the back?

Possibly. With Sonic and Snake I think it was kind of like a "Hey, look at these guest characters from non-Nintendo games that appear here," but that's not as special anymore since it's been done. I imagine the three of them will get special attention in some way, though.

They might show Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mario all on the front of the cover just to be like: "we got all these guys in one game." But what ever they come up with will probably be cool. Plus it could be quite different region to region.

Well, as long as the requirements for unlocking him aren't stupid. Same with the rest of the unlockable cast, really. I never unlocked everyone in Melee because the requirements got insane. Brawl made it so much easier. Perhaps a little too easy though.

Whatchu mean? No one in Melee is that hard too unlock. Maybe Mewtwo, he's more of a power draining unlock.

They might show Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mario all on the front of the cover just to be like: "we got all these guys in one game." But what ever they come up with will probably be cool. Plus it could be quite different region to region.

We've already got the front covers, though.

We've already got the front covers, though.

Is it the images on the top official site? I thought I saw those as covers, but you can never be sure with photoshop and all. I wasn't sure if they were officially confirmed or not. Thanks for clearing that up anyway.

Whatchu mean? No one in Melee is that hard too unlock. Maybe Mewtwo, he's more of a power draining unlock.

Maybe for you. I personally had trouble unlocking more than just Mewtwo. I don't remember all the characters I neglected to unlock, but I remember PIchu was also one of them.