SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D7hfT4D.jpg

"Pic of the day. Just like in the original game, the Dark Emperor can cause status changes based on a fighter's color. Red types generally get powered up. On a different subject, the Mii Fighter is wearing a Mii Force Helmet."

This is a bit of a flub on Sakurai's part, as the Dark Emperor caused a level down debuff across the board. That said, his intent is that you can get power-ups based on your colour as determined by the Dark Emperor.

I am also in the Marth should stay Japanese camp. He just sounds natural that way and I don't particularly car what he's talking about, more how he's talking.

I'd be more inclined to translate the line as "Everybody, watch this!" but yeah, that's basically what 「みんな、見てくれ」 means.

Edit: did Marth have anything new in Brawl, or was all of his audio just carried over from Melee?

Yes everything is lifted from Melee I believe. I think he could be the only character where 100% of his audio is lifted from Melee too.

I agree, voice clips should only be recycled if they're really good and would still appeal to the players. I hope Ike gets new clips though, because seeing as SSB has aged him three years, he needs to sound three years older. Plus, Jason Adkins has surely improved by now. ^^

I agree, voice clips should only be recycled if they're really good and would still appeal to the players. I hope Ike gets new clips though, because seeing as SSB has aged him three years, he needs to sound three years older. Plus, Jason Adkins has surely improved by now. ^^

He's voiced Ike three times now and all three were "ehh." I wouldn't get my hopes up for him getting better.

He's voiced Ike three times now and all three were "ehh." I wouldn't get my hopes up for him getting better.

Maybe it's just the voice direction that is to blame for his performance.

I mean, I don't know how good Adkins is but I would assume that he would have at least tried to sound like a child when voicing young Ike in his memory scene in RD unless the voice direction was handled so badly that he wasn't even told that he was supposed to voice a little kid there.

Edited by BrightBow

I thought he was pretty good. Not spectacular, but not bad either. Also, PoR, RD, and Brawl all came out in the span of three years. It's been six years since Brawl's release. Adkins has had more room for improvement this time.

I honestly wouldn't mind Ike getting recasted. He was one of my least favorite voices in Brawl, as he sounds way too monotone in most of his lines. "Prepare yourself" in particular sounds like deep down Ike is thinking "God, why am I here?" It doesn't help Adkins isn't an experienced VA. Ike is the only character he has ever voiced, with all his other roles (if IMDB is to be believed) being small live-action projects like shorts and TV movies.

This isn't really a jab against Ike, as I want to like his voice, but if Adkins is going to give us the same performance again, or if they plan to lift Ike's clips from Brawl, I'd prefer to hire a better VA to voice him.

I'm all for retaining original VAs (not just in Smash, I'm speaking generally here), but sometimes, a change can be for the best.

Maybe it's just the voice direction that is to blame for his performance.

I mean, I don't know how good Adkins is but I would assume that he would have at least tried to sound like a child when voicing young Ike in his memory scene in RD unless the voice direction was handled so badly that he wasn't even told that he was supposed to voice a little kid there.

Ike just happens to be the manliest child ever.

also he looks way to old to play a teenage character

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiJSUqubSotMfC7mQksxu80idX5lGy1e4EGGPBoB72ejO2Hx9xmnypQms

i mean, at least tara strong can pull off the whole looking youthful thing

Looks don't matter, Goku and his children from Dragon Ball Z are all played by a woman who's nearing 80 and she still does a great job at playing them.

I will agree that Adkins is too monotone. Every line Ike has sounds like he's bored with the whole thing. Maybe he was trying for the whole "Ike is tough" shtick but it sounds lame to the listeners. So unless this time around he does it with more gusto, I would be cool with a recast.

Jason Adkins IS experienced, actually. He's done many roles in games and other media besides Ike.

But I wouldn't complain if someone else did Ike this time, as long as the guy is good and fits Ike.

Jason Adkins IS experienced, actually. He's done many roles in games and other media besides Ike.

But I wouldn't complain if someone else did Ike this time, as long as the guy is good and fits Ike.

What other voice work as he done? As someone else pointed out his IMDB page isn't that impressive. Ike Seems to be his only voice acted role. Though I don't know how accurate we can take that page as it doesn't even seem to list Radiant Dawn. Do you know of anything else in specific that he's done voice work for?

There was a page someone linked in some thread a long time ago that showed that Adkins had done other video game roles before. I don't remember where this link was though, unfortunately.

Also, those who think Adkins is too old to voice a teenager, you forget: the Ike we're talking about here is no longer a teenager. lol He's a man in his twenties.

Edited by Anacybele

^^ default voice

That's even granting the avatar/Robin is there. Which I doubt at this point

Edited by JediSwordSaint

Hmm? How come?

I wouldn't mind the avatar, but I'm certainly not hoping for him/her either. Though, it'd be nice to have another magic user, rather than Chrom, another blue-haired swordsman.

Hmm? How come?

I wouldn't mind the avatar, but I'm certainly not hoping for him/her either. Though, it'd be nice to have another magic user, rather than Chrom, another blue-haired swordsman.

I'm a firm believer of the leak which includes Shulk, Chrom and the Chorus Men.

And I'm doubting that Chroms style will be anything like Marth and Ike unlike what a lot of Awakening and Chrom haters are saying, he has the Cut scenes, his animations and such for parts of a moveset

And who's to say he won't borrow other games animations and styles.

Marth did so for his near entire move set and Chroms game was a celebration of FE of sorts.. what better way to celebrate then to show off various animations..

And you gotta remember Sakurai is a creative guy when he wants to be.