SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

DLC should just stay for new stages/soundtracks and maybe some random mode, but not for characters. Specially since the point of the game is the huge roster with many different characters and in a fighting game taking characters away is somewhat spoiling the fun. We already saw what they did with Street Figther, like 12 characters pay DLC and they were already included in the disc, that was a joke.

I dont think Sakurai supports much the idea of DLCs, regardless Capcom influence in the videogame industry, but maybe some skins/stages/soundtracks plus patches could always go around with these new thing, but I dont think he will ruin people by locking character in a DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capcom's crappy ways of treating its players with Day One DLC and rerelease upon rerelease of the same game are some of the reasons why lots of people refuse to buy Capcom games period and why they only have $150 million left in the bank and are about to go bankrupt and die. Off topic but Nintendo should buy them so Mega Man, Ace Attorney, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil become Nintendo franchises. Not to mention Wright and a Street Fighter character in Smash would be super cool.

j7zsIIXhwAgC1.jpg

Lucina is getting a Masked Marth costume, and Kirbys copy hat for Lucina is the mask.

Also, one of those pictures may or may not show a new move for her?

Edit: Here's Robin.

jbwszfBbUkH6aQ.jpg

These are from Famitsu BTW.

Edited by shinpichu

Ooh, I'm loving that shot of Ike, Robin, and Marth! Ike almost towers over those two lol. I knew he had to be the tallest of the FE squad, but damn. XD

Capcom's crappy ways of treating its players with Day One DLC and rerelease upon rerelease of the same game are some of the reasons why lots of people refuse to buy Capcom games period and why they only have $150 million left in the bank and are about to go bankrupt and die. Off topic but Nintendo should buy them so Mega Man, Ace Attorney, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil become Nintendo franchises. Not to mention Wright and a Street Fighter character in Smash would be super cool.

Day One DLC isn't really always bad. There's a bunch of steps that a game needs to go through from the time it's finished to the time it's released. Day One DLC is usually not stuff that is completed at the same time as the main game but gets released separately for more money. In most cases, it's finished after the game is and adding this stuff to the main game would cause a delay of several months before the game's release.

The real problem (and something Capcom is also guilty of) is On Disc DLC (there is some overlap between this and Day One DLC. Plenty of On Disc DLC is released day one, but not all Day One DLC is on disc). Stuff that is literally part of the main game, so it had to have been finished by the time the game itself was, but gets locked away so that you have to pay more in order to access it. On Disc DLC is one of the worst things to happen to video games.

On another note, those pictures look really interesting. I wish I could read Japanese so that I'd know what the text on those pages says.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

So it looks like Lucina is inheriting Marths old playstyle while Marth is getting a little stronger, slower, and more focused on ground based combat. Kinda like how Falco inherited Fox's 64 playstyle while Fox got changed in Melee.

It's fake. Doesn't anyone remember the tweeted interview? Sakurai HIMSELF said that the final roster was decided before development even began and that was just last month. He wouldn't lie to the entire world.

I think Lucina was made a clone to save development time while giving FE the recognition it deserves at the same time. It's easier to justify her being a clone of Marth than it would Chrom, as Chrom is closer to Ike in build and speed and all. Sakurai could've just then made Chrom an Ike clone, but that probably wouldn't have sat well with Japanese fans, whereas Lucina is popular all over the world and probably more popular overall. And even then, people STILL don't like her clone status.

Edited by Anacybele

GameFAQs has this topic, which is interesting.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69658047

... and they're using the (likely fake) rumor that Lucina was apparently a last-minute addition as "proof" of the Gematsu thing. I mean, Shulk is my #1 most-wanted character, and having both him and Lucina in is even better than the Gematsu roster, but the Gematsu "leak" was a fake. A very convincing fake full of lucky guesses, yes, but a fake nonetheless.

As much as I would want it to be otherwise, Shulk will be an assist trophy, not a playable character (if he's even in the game at all). I'm calling it.

I think Lucina was made a clone to save development time while giving FE the recognition it deserves at the same time. It's easier to justify her being a clone of Marth than it would Chrom, as Chrom is closer to Ike in build and speed and all. Sakurai could've just then made Chrom an Ike clone, but that probably wouldn't have sat well with Japanese fans, whereas Lucina is popular all over the world and probably more popular overall. And even then, people STILL don't like her clone status.

People can bitch up a storm about Lucina being a clone but when it comes down to it, they have to live with it. They aren't on the development team and it's ultimately their choice how to carry out which characters to add and how to execute them in the game. Either way, it's not like Lucina's a deal breaker to NOT buy the game. Jeez, one clone newcomer and it's suddenly the end of the freakin' world. They seem to forget that we're getting great newcomer characters that are unique like Megaman and Little Mac!

Suck it up people (not directing it at anyone in this thread), clones are not new to smash and just be glad that it's only one so far. After all, 64 had one clone and semi-clone, Melee had 7 newcomer clones, and brawl has 2 clones. 3 if you want to debate Wolf.

Either way, I knew if Lucina was in, either she'd be a Marth clone or a costume swap for him.

It's fake. Doesn't anyone remember the tweeted interview? Sakurai HIMSELF said that the final roster was decided before development even began and that was just last month. He wouldn't lie to the entire world.

I didn't read--I refuse to go back to gamefaqs until next month when all this blows over one way or another. In any case, I don't see it as lying as it is just last minute changing of the mind--it is possible.

Edited by Mugen Wing

Quit fake mongering people.

Gematsu is fake yes. But that GameFAQs topic is REAL. Look at the link on he first post: (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsp5iI2CUAA478W.jpg).

It CONFIRMS that Lucina was a late addition. And if you look at the first post, they apologized for the topic title.

Just because it seems like "Gematsu lol" doesn't mean you write it off as fake.

Sorry, but this really grates me when valid info is brushed off just because Gematsu is in the title.

Sounds like a load of crap to stir up controversy and get Gematsu back on the table.

... and they're using the (likely fake) rumor that Lucina was apparently a last-minute addition as "proof" of the Gematsu thing. I mean, Shulk is my #1 most-wanted character, and having both him and Lucina in is even better than the Gematsu roster, but the Gematsu "leak" was a fake. A very convincing fake full of lucky guesses, yes, but a fake nonetheless.

As much as I would want it to be otherwise, Shulk will be an assist trophy, not a playable character (if he's even in the game at all). I'm calling it.

Gematsu is fake yes. But that GameFAQs topic is REAL. Look at the link on he first post: (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsp5iI2CUAA478W.jpg).

It CONFIRMS that Lucina was a late addition. And if you look at the first post, they apologized for the topic title.

Sorry, but this really grates me when valid info is brushed off just because Gematsu is in the title.

I don't want to start anything, being as I just started here, but I cannot understand why everyone is quick to write off the Gematsu leak as fake. Please someone explain to me.

Edited by Mugen Wing

What is that picture from? And can we get someone who understands Japanese to translate it?

What is that picture from? And can we get someone who understands Japanese to translate it?

I know it's from Famitsu, but I can't understand it. But people in that topic have understood it.

I don't want to start anything, being as I just started here, but I fail to see why everyone is quick to write it off as fake. Please someone explain to me.

I wasn't always so big on the Gematsu deal, as I usually ignored it.

Obviously there was a huge argument about Gematsu's credibility, and since guessing 8 out 11 newcomers correctly, some members believed in Gematsu, while others ( LIKE ME) quickly shut him down. When Gematsu was wrong, we (well, I did) exploded.

I think some people are quick to call it fake, because of Gematsu in the title...? Also, not many of us can read Japanese...

I know it's from Famitsu, but I can't understand it. But people in that topic have understood it.

How do you know it's from Famitsu? Is it because the guy who posted the topic says so? Can someone who's seen the Famitsu issue cross-confirm it?

I'm just suspicious that a bunch of info that could "revive" Gematsu just happens to appear shortly after Gematsu was "killed."

Since this was so page-stretchy I think I'll take a page from Bimby's book and spoiler it.

Okay...? I never said Gematsu WASN'T a hoax, I just said Shulk doesn't need even a real leak for me to think he'll be in.

Isaac and K. Rool are unlikely as far as I can tell. K. Rool and Golden Sun haven't been well known in forever. K. Rool's last DK appearance was Barrel Blast. Barrel Blast. I'd like both to join, but I don't see it. Dixie is ehh.

I feel very strongly we'll get a new Zelda and Metroid character, and ZSS/Sheik don't count.

If I had my way, Chibi-Robo, Shulk, Impa, and Ridley would be the last four new characters. Maybe Isaac and Dixie, with Ghirahim instead of Impa or Chibi not in.

This is how I feel about Lucina and Chibi-Robo.

Because Chibi deserves it. Just like Pikmin did in Brawl. Except Olimar got in because Pikmin was by Miyamoto.

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying then, my bad.

As far as recency goes, I'm fairly certain that characters like the Ice Climbers prove that that doesn't really matter so long as there's something that makes them unique and interesting. Whether that would actually be the case with K. Rool, I can't say, but if Sakurai wants to we know for a fact he can make anyone interesting.

Chibi-Robo might be okay, haha. Seems more like Assist Trophy material to me, but if he's playable *shrug*

Wait, I'm still a bit confused about Robin. When Sakurai says that Robin's tome changes with each special attack, does he just mean that each special (up, down, side, neutral) is a different tome, or does he also mean that the tome changes with each casting (Thunder->Elthunder->Arcthunder->Thoron), with maybe a certain amount of uses before it automatically switches to the next, because Robin used Thunder twice in a row on Mario in the trailer.

Bottom Line: I'm going to assume it is safe to assume that at least each special (up, down, whatever) is a different element, but does each use or three change the level of the tome, or are they all custom moves with possibly the ultimate form (EX: Thoron) being always there and requires a charge or a certain number of uses of the weaker tomes to be used?

My best guess is that each type of magic is a specific special (with Wind being B^, Dark being Bv, and Fire and Thunder being the other two), and that each has its own separate depletion rate or something. Once (s)he runs out, maybe it's like Olimar's Pikmin or something where certain moves don't do anything until Robin gets a tome back (however that happens).

As for the charge levels, we've only seen one version each of Wind and Dark magic, and IIRC, I think Arcfire was the only fire spell used (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember). I think the concept of charging the spell is probably specific to Thunder Magic in a Samus Charge Beam style-or something, since we see male Robin doing what appears to be charging the thunder magic in one shot, and fem Robin firing a pre-charged Arcthunder or something in another.

I personally think DLC is not happening. Chrom's staying on the sidelines.
...I almost think of it akin to the Pokemon art director.

"Suppose we sell a Pokemon for 100 yen, then we must prepare something that is worthy of that 100 yen," says art director Ken Sugimori.

I actually don't like the idea of DLC at all.

idk, it just feels a bit weird to me. New stages, Music, Custom Moves would be fine, I just don't like the idea of having extra characters as DLC. In online play, it just seems kinda awkward, to see a character you didn't even know existed.

Character DLCs are fine in my books.

Stage DLCs are a bit of dark area for me because a significant amount of games with stage DLCs limits online play for a lot of players. For example in Sonic All Stars Racing, if you had the DLC stage and an another player does not, you could not play with each other in random matches. Thus an online community was pretty much split up. I rather not have something like this happen to smash bros.

They fixed this with the sequel by making it friends only but even then you cannot play that stage online with randoms.

What usually happens with games with significant online multplayer games is that the game will be patched to include those DLC contents but they are locked out until you actually buy them.

That's unlikely ever going to happen. Usually when a DLC is free, it's sponsored by another company. Stuff like the Sonic Lost World DLC was free was probably because Nintendo helped fund the project. This will only happen if the company is actually generous and even then most of them will not likely do this. Creating DLC is still adding an extra development time to the game and you gotta pay your studio & employee for making these resources.

I disagree about characters, but I also see the problem with having stages be DLC (and music as DLC is just a weird concept). Still I'd rather have stages than characters, personally.

Actually, the thing I'd really like to see is extra cosmetic costumes for characters we have now lol. In the past everyone has discussed at some point or another how it'd be nice to have Dr. Mario, or Fusion-suit Samus, or other versions of Ike or Link, etc. etc. etc and I think having those separately or in little DLC packs would be a good implementation of the feature.

But really, the concept of DLC feels really foreign and strange for a game like Super Smash Bros. Sakurai seems to think so too, but I suppose we'll see.

I agree and after some further thought, I'm fine with it. I doubt they'll even be as similar as clones were in Melee despite appearances, and I can appreciate how making her a clone is a clever and efficient method of adding Lucina to make people happy.

Edited by BANRYU

It CONFIRMS that Lucina was a late addition.

1. That could still be a fake. Just because it's a picture doesn't mean it's real. Just because someone says it's in Famitsu doesn't make it actually from Famitsu, and even if it is, magazines can be wrong.

2. That confirms nothing to me, as I can't read Japanese. All it confirms to me (and most people in this topic, I assume) is that "Wii Fit" is a thing (I'm assuming WFT was mentioned at some point in that text)