SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mewtwo needs to come back before Squirtle.

Nah. I'd say Squirtle and Ivysaur need to come back before Mewtwo. Brawl veterans should be above Melee one-shots on the roster. I mean, I almost put Bulbasaur and Snake on that roster, but I restrained myself.

Oh, and to anyone who thinks I want Ivysaur cut because she isn't on my roster, I don't, but I think she should be devolved to Bulbasaur. I'd put her in 7th, if seven Pokemon were realistic.

So, I guess no one knows the answer to my question from earlier?

Hey, how come the new stages page doesn't actually list every stage that's been shown so far? I don't see either of the FE stages, Skyloft, Pokemon League, or some others. :(

I do agree that Mewtwo would come back before Squirtle or Ivysaur. He's much more popular and significant to the Pokemon series.

Edited by Anacybele

The simple fact that the Stages page is called "Stages 1" implies Sakurai is adding the stage descriptions to the official site in batches.

The simple fact that the Stages page is called "Stages 1" implies Sakurai is adding the stage descriptions to the official site in batches.

Oh. I was wondering what that meant. I just wasn't sure.

So, let's see who's left in the (officially) unconfirmed veteran group...

Brawl Starters:

- Lucas

- Ice Climbers

- Wario

Unlockables:

- Ganondorf

- Jigglypuff

- Ness

- Wolf

- Falco

- Snake

- ROB

- Mr. Game & Watch

This is assuming that Squirtle and Ivysaur have been cut due to the removal of non-Final Smash transformations. And it's surely not possible that any of the cut Melee vets sans Mewtwo have any chance of coming back at this point.

I think we can all agree that Wario, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Ness, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Ice Climbers are guaranteed returns. That leaves Lucas, Wolf, ROB, and Snake as the only possible cuts. Which means SSB Wii U/3DS is indeed going to have less cuts than Brawl, which is awesome. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Surprised that neither of you who rated the roster pointed out the whole Cranky Kong and Squirtle thing.

I'm neutral to both of them, although I'm of the opinion that we have enough Pokemon characters and we don't need Squirtle (or Mewtwo, for that matter.)

Oh. I was wondering what that meant. I just wasn't sure.

So, let's see who's left in the (officially) unconfirmed veteran group...

Brawl Starters:

- Lucas

- Ice Climbers

- Wario

Unlockables:

- Ganondorf

- Jigglypuff

- Ness

- Wolf

- Falco

- Snake

- ROB

- Mr. Game & Watch

This is assuming that Squirtle and Ivysaur have been cut due to the removal of non-Final Smash transformations. And it's surely not possible that any of the cut Melee vets sans Mewtwo have any chance of coming back at this point.

I think we can all agree that Wario, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Ness, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Ice Climbers are guaranteed returns. That leaves Lucas, Wolf, ROB, and Snake as the only possible cuts. Which means SSB Wii U/3DS is indeed going to have less cuts than Brawl, which is awesome. ^^

Melee only really cut four characters (because saying Toon Link isn't Young Link is just silly. He's still a younger incarnation of Link. You might as well say Donkey Kong got cut since it was Cranky fighting in the original and rare era Donkey Kong fighting in Brawl). So if we're really unlucky we could see up to six characters cut including Ivysaur and Squirtle which will be more than Melee even if one were to count Young Link. Of course I really doubt that's going to happen. The only veteran I think is going to get the chop will be Snake. I reckon the rest have enough popularity/moveset diversity to get back in.

Toon Link has a much different appearance and name from Young Link though, so I still consider it a cut. Brawl also cut Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, and a few characters that were supposed to be newcomers. SSB4 may only see Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and ROB cut. At least those are the four I think will be gone.

Edited by Anacybele

I cannot understand why ROB is still on people's lists of potential cuts. There is literally no reason or evidence for this. He's not a clone/semi-clone (Lucas), he's not part of a discarded transformation gimmick (Squirtle, Ivysaur), he's not an awkwardly-fitting third party character (Snake), and he's not the third member of a franchise (Wolf).

It would be like cutting Mr. Game & Watch.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

It would be like cutting Mr. Game & Watch.

Not really. Mr. Game & Watch is a two time veteran, whereas ROB isn't and doesn't even really have his own franchise. He did help during the crash, but that's all he really has going for him.

Plus, there's still that rumor I brought up a long time ago that said he, Snake, and Pokemon Trainer (ie, being able to switch between three Pokemon in one match), would be the only cuts. It still holds true even though I remember it first being stated long before the game was even shown in 2013. Not only does it predate the Gematsu leak, it still has yet to be debunked, unlike it.

Edited by Anacybele

I have this feeling that tells me Snake and Wolf are in for sure. Lucas in my mind is the only character in trouble. And let's be real, ROB is too important to nintendo to get cut.

[spoiler=I made another roster]http://i.imgur.com/MrvIINV.png

please rate out of 10/your reaction if this was the final roster

7/10. Shulk would earn a 10/10 on his own, but Cranky, Squirtle, and Waddle Dee each make it lose one point. I'm neutral on Chibi Robo and Rhythm Girl.

I decided to make a pair of rosters myself. One for what I think will be the final roster, and one for what I would like the final roster to be: http://imgur.com/a/NAZo6

The R.O.B. games for the NES (Stack-Up and Gyromite) ARE the R.O.B. IP.

It seems to me that the people that want R.O.B. cut simply don't like the character and just are reaching for arguments to try to justify him getting cut (in a similar vein to the Pac-Man detractors), even though they have absolutely nothing to back up those arguments. This so-called "rumor" Anacybele mentions is literally just that, a rumor with no reliable source or backup in a sea of THOUSANDS of rumors.

I don't think anyone other than Snake and the remainders of the Pokemon Trainer trio will be cut. Snake due to licensing that probably wasn't renewed, and Pokemon Trainer because otherwise we'd suffer a glut of Pokemon on the roster. Squirtle and Ivysaur might reappear as Pokeball mons, though.

Wolf plays substantially different from Fox and Falco and is the villain representation of Star Fox, which is as important as having the heroes present. Falco is popular enough that having him cut despite being one of the more subtle "clones" would be a kick in the teeth for people who have mained him for two generations.

Even though there will probably never be another Mother game, and while Ness is more iconic than Lucas, I hope they both stay as it is one of Nintendo's most memorable and quirky RPG franchises. But this is probably one of the shakier series to continue to have two reps as the games age. Earthbound has been revisited with new toys this year and a VC rerelease but Mother 3 hasn't received the same kind of TLC.

Jigglypuff, despite not being as popular as she once was due to her role in the anime dropping, is still one of the most beloved Pokemon in Japan and has been a three-time vet with a really unique style of play. Plus, she's easy to include, which means the only reason she would be cut is if Gamefreak insists she be cut (I'm of the mind Sakurai would keep everyone if he could).

The rest of the cast is irreplaceable. They're in. Game & Watch in particular appeared in the Pac-Man reveal and Sakurai all-but-confirmed he was in the game, so I wouldn't put him in a list of unconfirmed characters since we saw his new render already. Ice Climbers was cited early in development as being a problem character, but considering we've seen Rosalina's Luma mechanics, I feel like they probably sorted out the multi-character issue and that Ice Climbers will be present in the game. Ganondorf and Wario are a huge DUH considering how much WarioWare stuff is in the game and how iconic Ganondorf is for Zelda. ROB... I want to believe he's still in. He doesn't play like anyone else either, plus he represents the saviour of the NES and the uptick of the North American games industry.

I never said that the rumor I heard was most definitely true. I'm saying that it's likely to be true since Pokemon Trainer has already been shown to get the boot.

Not really. Mr. Game & Watch is a two time veteran, whereas ROB isn't and doesn't even really have his own franchise. He did help during the crash, but that's all he really has going for him.

Plus, there's still that rumor I brought up a long time ago that said he, Snake, and Pokemon Trainer (ie, being able to switch between three Pokemon in one match), would be the only cuts. It still holds true even though I remember it first being stated long before the game was even shown in 2013. Not only does it predate the Gematsu leak, it still has yet to be debunked, unlike it.

This so-called "rumor" Anacybele mentions is literally just that, a rumor with no reliable source or backup in a sea of THOUSANDS of rumors.

^

"All he has going for him" lol ROB pretty much saved video gaming in the west.

Here's a rumor for you: Wario, Ganondorf, and Falco are cut, Sora (Kingdom Hearts), Cloud (Final Fantasy), and Bayonetta are newcomers. What? It hasn't been debunked!

The rest of the cast is irreplaceable. They're in. Game & Watch in particular appeared in the Pac-Man reveal and Sakurai all-but-confirmed he was in the game, so I wouldn't put him in a list of unconfirmed characters since we saw his new render already. Ice Climbers was cited early in development as being a problem character, but considering we've seen Rosalina's Luma mechanics, I feel like they probably sorted out the multi-character issue and that Ice Climbers will be present in the game. Ganondorf and Wario are a huge DUH considering how much WarioWare stuff is in the game and how iconic Ganondorf is for Zelda. ROB... I want to believe he's still in. He doesn't play like anyone else either, plus he represents the saviour of the NES and the uptick of the North American games industry.

I'm pretty sure the Game and Watch we seen in the Pacman trailer wasn't using in game renders.

Here's a rumor for you: Wario, Ganondorf, and Falco are cut, Sora (Kingdom Hearts), Cloud (Final Fantasy), and Bayonetta are newcomers. What? It hasn't been debunked!

You just now came up with that. The rumor I'm talking about was originally posted YEARS ago and it still can be legit.

I'm pretty sure the Game and Watch we seen in the Pacman trailer wasn't using in game renders.

It's easy to downscale a high-res cinematic render for an in-game model. But Sakurai himself teased G&W being in anyway. Honestly he's confirmed in my eyes, otherwise I don't see why they would bother to show him off at all in the Pac-man trailer.

You just now came up with that. The rumor I'm talking about was originally posted YEARS ago and it still can be legit.

It's still a rumor, and you can't say it's wrong yet!

Point is, Ana, there's no reason to believe some random rumor just because it hasn't been proven absolutely false. It got a little lucky with Pokemon Trainer, but otherwise it's so small that it's a little difficult to outright disprove anyway. What if a rumor had said All-Star mode won't return? Would you believe it just because we don't know yet if the mode is back?