SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm really pissed off. I was actually EXPECTING Ike to have Vanguard because, you know, other characters were getting cool palettes (ie Link's Skyward Sword clothes, Mario's America colors, etc.) and Vanguard would be just as easy to do for Ike.

Similarly, I was expecting things like Mr. L for Luigi and Grandmaster for Robin. But no...

I mean, Samus got all kinds of colors resembling her armor from her games. Why couldn't Ike get similar for Vanguard? It makes ZERO sense.

Edited by Anacybele

To be fair, the guy who reported it never specified there wasn't a Vanguard Ike palette swap, and I highly doubt we've seen all eight. Plus no one in the AMA specifically asked if there was a Vanguard Ike palette swap, so nothing was said about it. He could still be in, only time will tell

Also Robin's alternates are different between the genders, male Robin has green, blue, and a white one with black hair. Female Robin has Red, Yellow, and "Neon Pink". Their cloak becomes tinted the same color as their hair in all alts except their default looks and the white cloak version. The hairstyle never changes apparently

To be fair, the guy who reported it never specified there wasn't a Vanguard Ike palette swap, and I highly doubt we've seen all eight. Plus no one in the AMA specifically asked if there was a Vanguard Ike palette swap, so nothing was said about it. He could still be in, only time will tell

Also Robin's alternates are different between the genders, male Robin has green, blue, and a white one with black hair. Female Robin has Red, Yellow, and "Neon Pink". Their cloak becomes tinted the same color as their hair in all alts except their default looks and the white cloak version. The hairstyle never changes apparently

Yeah, you have a point there. No one said anything about Mr. L either. I'm calmed down now anyway and curious about what the other palettes look like too. I hope the gold color scheme from Brawl stays though, as RD Ike with it would resemble his dad even more. :o

But ew, those female Robin colors. I like yellow, but I also like blue and green. Looks like I'll be using male Robin.

Has anyone considered the idea that we might get unlockable alternate costumes?

Oh, this would be sweet if Sakurai doesn't change his mind about doing DLC!

Edited by Anacybele

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128712281&postcount=7241

Looks like the between speed of melee and brawl are looking pretty good for a lot of people playing. Like many speculated, the ground combat is definitely melee like but the air combat is like Brawl. So that's nice to hear from the community.

It seems like bigger attacks and air dodging gives you the most land lagging so it's nice high risk and high reward for doing it instead of no consequences.

Landing Lag

The elephant in the room. I will be blunt. Some moves have been given more landing lag. Sonic's bair. Falcon's knee. Air dodging.

However...

Many (I'd actually say the strong majority of) moves in the game have basically little to no landing lag. It was very easy to identify them quickly simply through playing. I believe that this whole landing lag thing is suffering from a near-sighted syndrome effect. People are playing the characters they like in the way they always have, and when they come across a move they are used to using a lot and it seems to have a bit of landing lag, they suddenly attribute that to the entire game. Now all of the sudeen every single aerial has more landing lag?

The fact of the matter is that landing lag isn't so serious as has been blown up to be.. It does make characters affected feel [/i]different[/i] to play, because you need to change how you move and what abilities you use. You have to adapt, but it certainly does not make the game slower.

Overall, I can say with confidence that the game is not suffering from some kind of overall landing lag issue.

Combos

Tilts.

Tilts, tilts, tilts.

Tilts are going to be huge. Most experienced players know how important good tilts are for combos and that seems to be the case here. In any case, combos tend to become way more difficult when your opponent is at higher %s, but at low %s combos are definitely a thing. Something about the way the characters connect in this game has been seriously changed from past iterations.

Advanced Techs

Brawl dash dancing. No wavedashing. No l-cancelling but there is teching (or maybe it was auto-cancel? Hard to say...) Pivot cancel is still in. You are able to do tilts as well in the same way. It's pretty neat. I wouldn't say it's like the definition of a meta, but it's a neat trick for mix-ups.

Ledge Mechanics

Okay, lets get this explained.

The ledge snap has been nerfed significantly. It's way more similar to Melee than Brawl. I don't know frame data for Melee so I wont' say it's the same, but tbh I think it may just be a tad more forgiving than Melee, but it is definitely nerfed.

There is a small "ledge immunity" after letting go of a ledge. The ledge immunity is to you. I tested this extensively with Ike, Megaman, and Charizard.

Basically if you drop off the ledge (in a manner that you would do if you were trying to maybe stall there), the ledge actually becomes un-grabbable (is that a word? lol) for a very small window of time.

For example if you are Charizard and you drop off the ledge or get trumped, and you hop very quickly back to the ledge, you will not grab it. You will just fall right past it.

Characters with flips for their 2nd jumps or anything resembling a buoyant animation (like Kirby) are less affected by this and I'll tell you why. It seems that the game waits for some of the ending frames of the characters flip animation before enacting the grab mechanic. I tried with Marth and Shulk who both have flips, and they basically just bumper car'd the ledge until their flip animation was done, then they would grab it. Characters like Charizard, Megaman, and Ike would just not grab it at all and fall. The details around these mechanics needs to explored a lot more, but overall, I think the off-stage game has been given a whole new make-over.

Game Speed

The speed of the game is...omg this must be so surprising to hear, but it's inbetween Brawl and Melee. However...air speed is still closer to Brawl. Ground speed is very Melee feely though.

Fast falling is incredibly fast though.

Shields are fast. Very fast. They are basically the new wave-dash (I dare say), I'm being totally serious, and you can attack out of them with a great deal of attacks.

Overall

This game did not feel like Brawl, and I've been playing a lot of Brawl lately to prepare and I almost feel bad for doing so. It actually felt more like Project M, to be honest if I had to compare it to something, but when it comes down to it I almost feel like I'm insulting the word put in to this game to simply size it up to some previous iteration.

This game has soo much freakin' stuff in it. I now understand what Sakurai was saying when he said they basically rebuilt all the characters. Even though many characters possess the same movesets, you can really tell they aren't the same. The animations have been rebuilt from scratch. Peach has mostly the same moveset, but her body moves so intricately and 100% differently in the way that she executes them. It is absolute madness to witness.

I really do believe the characters were built from the ground up. Same move-sets withstanding. Characters interact with one another in a way we've yet to see, the hit-stun in Smash 4 is unique, and the characters have had literally everything touched up.

Blah, blah, excited to play the game, blah, blah. Let's get this AMA going.

Ooh, interesting tidbits! Sounds awesome! And playing different from Brawl is fine with me even though I had no problem with its mechanics. I like a new experience. ^^

By the way, someone said earlier that Ike no longer has a flip for his second jump. Not that this really bothers me, but I'm curious as to why this is, cause if he can flip like he does in Aether, surely keeping his jump flip isn't an issue...? Plus, the flipping is kinda cool. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Some characters not getting alt costumes is okay with me but I feel bad for the people that really wanted them. To be fair though, Sakurai pretty much all but flat out said not everyone was gonna get one, since apparently ZSS was just not gonna have one if it weren't for the persistence of the female developer that wanted the casual wear in.

Yeah, true, but that didn't mean we couldn't hope. :P

Now I kinda hope for DLC/unlockable costumes though. Especially since I remember Soul Calibur II doing unlockable costumes.

Btw, I had a pic where I recolored Brawl Luigi to look like Mr. L, but I must've lost it a long time ago cause I no longer have it. xP

I could go make a new one using his new SBB Wii U/3DS art though...

I don't know if it was mentioned before (since I can't find it in the spoilers a few pages back), but Peach (apparently) now has a Fire Flower alt! Yay!

I hope that includes the ponytail too, because they removed it from Rosalina's Fire Flower alt (along with inverting the colors of the dress). And on top of that, a black palette swap...? I wonder how that'll look on Peach...

I don't know if it was mentioned before (since I can't find it in the spoilers a few pages back), but Peach (apparently) now has a Fire Flower alt! Yay!

I hope that includes the ponytail too, because they removed it from Rosalina's Fire Flower alt (along with inverting the colors of the dress). And on top of that, a black palette swap...? I wonder how that'll look on Peach...

I could be wrong but, I don't think Rosalina had a ponytail for her Fire Flower suit. Also Robin not having the Grandmaster outfit is disappointing(but it could be unlockable like stated before).

Oh. also, even if the 3DS version doesn't have unlockable costumes or such, we can always hope the Wii U version does since Sakurai said the 3DS version won't limit the Wii U verson. So he could have put in lots of cool stuff that we won't see in the 3DS version.

I could be wrong but, I don't think Rosalina had a ponytail for her Fire Flower suit. Also Robin not having the Grandmaster outfit is disappointing(but it could be unlockable like stated before).

In Super Mario 3D World, Rosalina was given a ponytail to go along with her Fire Flower outfit (like Peach). In Smash 4, the dress colors were inverted, and the ponytail was taken away.

yRhNWma.png

Left: Super Mario 3D World

Right: SSB4 palette swap

fire_power_rosalina_ssb4_by_simplederk-drosalina1.png

In Super Mario 3D World, Rosalina was given a ponytail to go along with her Fire Flower outfit (like Peach). In Smash 4, the dress colors were inverted, and the ponytail was taken away.

yRhNWma.png

Left: Super Mario 3D World

Right: SSB4 palette swap

fire_power_rosalina_ssb4_by_simplederk-drosalina1.png

All of my want. I would use this costume every time if it were in. EVERY TIME.

I heard Ike just has color swaps and apparently one that "makes him look like onyx." Whatever that means. The person who saw them said they looked really good and seemed pretty enthusiastic about them, though.