I hope tripping returns

Emeraldfox

Tripping annoyed me for 2 reasons. First, it was just annoying. Second, it didn't make sense for some characters to slip and fall on their asses a lot. Seriously, you'd think chars like Samus, Marth, Link, Sheik, and Fox wouldn't fall on their faces just from turning around quickly on a normal floor. Ice floor, I'll give you that, but not a regular floor.

Yeah no tripping.

I wasn't really too bothered by it, but it was annoying as fuck when it happened to you.

"Fucksake Sonic, you never used to do this."

Competitive players are basically just the people who play the game the most and are the most interested in how it works, we're not necessarily subhuman antisocial dweebs about it, and we don't enjoy the ones who are any more than anybody else does. We just call those people "assholes"

Tripping (when random) at its core is basically just "hey, looks like you're really enjoying playing the game as it is, there! PSYCH

L

M

A

O W N E D

THAT'LL TEACH YOU TO PLAY OUR GAME AND LIKE IT"

Edited by Rehab

I liked a little luck in my games - and I am the best SSBB player of all my friends (normally luck mechanics favor bad players). There aren't critical hits in this game and tripping was quite infrequent. Fire Emblem and Pokemon have a lot of "hax" in them, so I'm surprised by people's opinions on this.

Luck mechanics inherently favor nobody, they are by nature arbitrary. And I'd actually wager it would take an at least proficient player to react quick enough to capitalize on the opening tripping provides.

Like, there are at least some situations where it's possible to have crits influence your strategy in Fire Emblem, to skew them so they work to your advantage. Tripping is just something that can mess with the game's natural flow at any time, like a spectator suddenly barfing on one of you in the middle of a game.

Edited by Rehab

I was playing Wifi earlier against my sparring partner (a fellow Toon Link player from PR too) and he was in the Yoshi Island ghost, ran a little and tripped and the ghost killed him by going down the stage. Stuff like this is why Im glad tripping wont come back lol.

As far as I know, Brawl isn't and was never meant to be a competitive-like game. Should we whine at Mario Party too for having luck based elements in it?

It adds to the chaotic nature of the game, and I enjoyed it. It made for lots of fun moments that I would much rather have than not. see: above poster's example, stuff like that is hilarious and great in a regular environment.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Smash has never been such a dumb game that you couldn't be accustomed enough to its mechanics to outperform somebody else at it, so I'm not sure if we have the same definition of "party game?" They didn't start out the series having any mechanic that ever arbitrarily decided to mess with your control of a character, and that you couldn't ever choose to opt out of. Everybody was always able to play the series in whatever capacity they enjoyed.

The frustrating thing is tripping doesn't even destroy Brawl as a competitive game, it just gives it a disease. Sometimes it just randomly fucks with the person playing it.The mechanic itself isn't gonna stop them from playing the game and even enjoying it on its own, it doesn't happen frequently enough for that. It's just going to give them less joy from playing it. Why is a game I love being passive-aggressive with me what did I do wrong baby I'll change (no I won't)

We compete against each other because we enjoy exploring the game. We wouldn't spend so much time with it if we weren't getting something out of it, just like everyone else who enjoys the game does.

Smash has always had random elements to the game (stage hazards, items, etc), whether optional or not. It was never meant to be a competitive fighting game (otherwise every stage would be a final destination or battlefield-like clone), so I'm not sure why the developers should prioritize competitiveness over fun. Tripping does create genuinely fun, hilarious, and/or unique scenarios if you don't take the game super competitively, and I'd say that's very worthful.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Smash has always had random elements to the game (stage hazards, items, etc), whether optional or not. It was never meant to be a competitive fighting game (otherwise every stage would be a final destination or battlefield-like clone), so I'm not sure why the developers should prioritize competitiveness over fun. Tripping does create genuinely fun, hilarious, and/or unique scenarios if you don't take the game super competitively, and I'd say that's very worthful.

But what if you find competitive play to be fun? And you don't have to be a competitive player to hate tripping: most casuals I know(myself included) dislike tripping.

Edited by shinpichu

No tripping in Smash 4?! D8 Noooooo. I loved the tripping. Bah...as long as Smash 4 doesn't become a Melee 2.0. >> Brawl is so much better. Smash 4 better be as free and floaty as Brawl was. I can't go back to Melee, the controls feel way to stiff, it's not free at all.

I was playing Wifi earlier against my sparring partner (a fellow Toon Link player from PR too) and he was in the Yoshi Island ghost, ran a little and tripped and the ghost killed him by going down the stage. Stuff like this is why Im glad tripping wont come back lol.

say what

I didn't know you were from there

on topic, tripping is only fun in crazy big stages with all items and FFA, otherwise it's just annoying