98 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gender Locked Classes get thrown out the window?

NO.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, KEEP THIS SHIT OUT OF FIRE EMBLEM

I DON'T WANT THE WHOLE MODERN PESUDO-FEMINIST MOVEMENT REARING THEIR UGLY HEADS AT THIS.

ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT THEY'VE DECIDED TO FUCK WITH VIDEO GAMES AT ALL. I DON'T WANT THAT SHIT ANYWHERE NEAR SERIES I LIKE.

...the hell?

can't I just want a male poneybird

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then main Problem is Femzerker. This doesn't works without a total redisign for the class (Which will leads to it's owns complaints...).

Female Fighter however could perfectly works... So my answer is : Get rid of HALF the gender restriction, so only Valkyrie/Berserker remains...

(Being for middle ground makes you do really strange things...)

Edited by TendaSlime

I like the gender restrictions. I think it puts women back in their place, which is necessary as they are only second-class people anyway. Besides, if you let women become axefighters, what's next? Men marrying other men? Women marrying their dogs? We have to draw the line somewhere.

well, ravenxlucius and geromexminerva happened so it's only fair that gender restrictions get removed too

Edited by Pikachu

NO.

I DON'T WANT THE WHOLE MODERN PESUDO-FEMINIST MOVEMENT REARING THEIR UGLY HEADS AT THIS.

ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT THEY'VE DECIDED TO FUCK WITH VIDEO GAMES AT ALL. I DON'T WANT THAT SHIT ANYWHERE NEAR SERIES I LIKE.

Are you sure you posted in the right topic?

Because I really see no relation between your post and the desire to get rid artificial gender restrictions that do nothing but limit what the designers can do with their characters.

It's like how Baldur's Gate 2 had a halfling fighter as a PC, who had the personality of a Paladin, the alignment of a Paladin, tons of special abilities to imitate the class features of a Paladin and generally was made to resemble a Paladin as closely as possible... but wasn't actually a Paladin.

All of this simply because only humans could be Paladins in 2nd edition D&D.

Stuff like this does nothing but limit variety.

And the Fire Emblem cast has to be huge by design. So these restrictions are even more foolish here.

Edited by BrightBow

It's really pointless. If I have guys able to use staves and able to ride horses, why I can't I have a male troubadour?

Also, I hate how it discriminates against gender. I mean, males definitely got the short end of the stick in Fe13. I mean, why is it that only males can be the angry, brainless barbarians, huh? And why can't I ride a pegasus, huh?

Oh, and that isn't even the worst part. I mean, girls get the BRIDE class? WHY? Why do girls get THAT when all guys get is another dread fighter, huh? I mean, they get to kick ass while looking absolutely FABULOUS, but what about guys? I WAN'T TO KICK ASS IN A SUIT, DAMNIT!

It's really pointless. If I have guys able to use staves and able to ride horses, why I can't I have a male troubadour?

Also, I hate how it discriminates against gender. I mean, males definitely got the short end of the stick in Fe13. I mean, why is it that only males can be the angry, brainless barbarians, huh? And why can't I ride a pegasus, huh?

Oh, and that isn't even the worst part. I mean, girls get the BRIDE class? WHY? Why do girls get THAT when all guys get is another dread fighter, huh? I mean, they get to kick ass while looking absolutely FABULOUS, but what about guys? I WAN'T TO KICK ASS IN A SUIT, DAMNIT!

I want to kick ass in a robe ! (Yeah, I know, Battle Cleric... The single best new class added in Awakening, but still...)

The pegasus rider thing is just as ludicrous as any of the other restrictions. As Thor noted, the original characters in the mythology the pegasus comes from that rode them were male, and besides, it's just a winged fuckin' 'orse. It's just a fuckin' 'orse wif vertical movement, is all

Well, y'know, life isn't fair.

life can go be unfair somewhere else, frankly

Voted NO because this game would just be too unrealistic and potential lesbian berserkers is just no.

-have you noticed all the unrealistic shit we already have going on

-why does having female berserkers imply they'd automatically be lesbian

-what's wrong with lesbian anythings

Then main Problem is Femzerker. This doesn't works without a total redisign for the class (Which will leads to it's owns complaints...).

Female Fighter however could perfectly works... So my answer is : Get rid of HALF the gender restriction, so only Valkyrie/Berserker remains...

(Being for middle ground makes you do really strange things...)

"the truth is somewhere in the middle of any two extremes" is kinda not guaranteed to be defensible, in the occasions when one of those extremes is considerably dumber than the other

why can't femzerker work when we have all this other shit like magic and dragons and winged horses and, like, everything in any fe game's plot going on? we've already had female axe users and females with massive strength growths, why not put one and one together

I mean if people are really that uppity about WOMEN DON'T HAVE THE MUSCLE MASS TO USE AXES, ignoring that that's arguable, they could have a woman possessed by a fucking ghost or have her be in some Branded situation or something, it's really not that hard to find a way to justify

NO.

actual feminism would have a lot fucking more to disdain in fire emblem than just gender-restricted classes, this is just "stop putting dumb restrictions on your characters"

Edited by Rehab

Honestly, I'd really, really like a FemZerker. I love the War Cleric class and I'd love to see them use axes in an all-out attack role. Also, male Peggy knights, yes please!

It's like how Baldur's Gate 2 had a halfling fighter as a PC, who had the personality of a Paladin, the alignment of a Paladin, tons of special abilities to imitate the class features of a Paladin and generally was made to resemble a Paladin as closely as possible... but wasn't actually a Paladin.

All of this simply because only humans could be Paladins in 2nd edition D&D.

That would have been a lot better than just making Mazzy a Paladin. Her whole deal was that even though she had all the right qualities to be a Paladin, she couldn't become one because the order wouldn't accept her. It's writing around the laws of the world, like how in Game of Thrones all the women are oppressed and abused yet manage to find power in different ways.

I feel as if Fire Emblem going back on its own laws would be cheap, especially with regard to the pegasus knight thing (personally no femzerkers is just ridiculous but w/e). I think that they could tastefully create a game in which these laws are reversed, but they'd be stupid not to make a point out of it. For example, you'd be crazy to write a story in which white people are enslaved and black people rule the world and not address the issue of race, right? Or to make a movie wherein straight people are discriminated against and not address the issue of discrimination against homosexuals, for that matter. Fire Emblem has dug itself into a hole by creating gender restrictions in its universe law (e.g. pegasi won't let men ride them)--reversing them looks like retconning, which is cheap--or inclusion for inclusion's sake. Humans show a natural disposition toward racism, for instance, so if you created a world in which no racism ever existed you'd be daft.

What would it be like for a man who wanted to be a pegasus knight? Would everyone think that he was less of a man for it? What about a woman wanting to wield an axe in battle and wear next to nothing on the battlefield? Is that unladylike? Would people in that universe laugh at such a sight?

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that yes, IS could do with letting women be axefighters and men be troubadours but if they fail to make any mention of the fact that they're suddenly breaking their own rules they would be missing out on a big opportunity to make a good statement about how our own world is. I hope this point hasn't been misconstrued by my crazy ramblings.

doesn't even make sense

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, June 16, 2013 - Double
Hidden by Florete, June 16, 2013 - Double

double post

Edited by Agro

I'd be cool with acknowledging it, yeah. I'd actually prefer that to a sudden rule change. I kind of wonder if they have the self-awareness to go through with it, but it'd be great.

and have the male pegasus rider support a cavalier and say verbatim, "Look, me lad, it's just a winged fuckin' 'orse when you get down to it"

That would have been a lot better than just making Mazzy a Paladin. Her whole deal was that even though she had all the right qualities to be a Paladin, she couldn't become one because the order wouldn't accept her. It's writing around the laws of the world, like how in Game of Thrones all the women are oppressed and abused yet manage to find power in different ways.

I feel as if Fire Emblem going back on its own laws would be cheap, especially with regard to the pegasus knight thing (personally no femzerkers is just ridiculous but w/e). I think that they could tastefully create a game in which these laws are reversed, but they'd be stupid not to make a point out of it. For example, you'd be crazy to write a story in which white people are enslaved and black people rule the world and not address the issue of race, right? Or to make a movie wherein straight people are discriminated against and not address the issue of discrimination against homosexuals, for that matter. Fire Emblem has dug itself into a hole by creating gender restrictions in its universe law (e.g. pegasi won't let men ride them)--reversing them looks like retconning, which is cheap--or inclusion for inclusion's sake. Humans show a natural disposition toward racism, for instance, so if you created a world in which no racism ever existed you'd be daft.

What would it be like for a man who wanted to be a pegasus knight? Would everyone think that he was less of a man for it? What about a woman wanting to wield an axe in battle and wear next to nothing on the battlefield? Is that unladylike? Would people in that universe laugh at such a sight?

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that yes, IS could do with letting women be axefighters and men be troubadours but if they fail to make any mention of the fact that they're suddenly breaking their own rules they would be missing out on a big opportunity to make a good statement about how our own world is. I hope this point hasn't been misconstrued by my crazy ramblings.

doesn't even make sense

It was more of a lampshade of second edition rules if anything.

And D&D did fix those rules in further editions. So I don't see why Fire Emblem can't do the same.

Seeing how Pegasus have no issue carrying men around anyway, that has always been a stupid rule in the first place. I am totally okay with fixing that one.

And there is no rule against female axefighters and male troubadours anyway. In fact, we already have plenty of female axefighers.

Edited by BrightBow

It was more of a lampshade of second edition rules if anything.

And D&D did fix those rules in further editions. So I don't see why Fire Emblem can't do the same.

Seeing how Pegasus have no issue carrying men around anyway, that has always been a stupid rule in the first place. I am totally okay with fixing that one.

And there is no rule against female axefighters and male troubadours anyway. In fact, we already have plenty of female Axefighers.

It's still retconning, which is something that should be avoided if possible.

The "rule" with the female axefighters and troubadours is an implied one, since they don't actually exist. And I mean Axefighters as a class, not Dracolords and Heroes.

Honestly, the Peg. Knights remind me more of the Valkyrie (they just used "Pegasus" as a name for their mounts even though that was the thing's name, not its species #thatsarantforanotherday). Could someone remind me how many male Valkyrie/Shieldmaidens there were? I don't recall any offhand. If they used Valkyrie as the basis for Peg/Seraph Knights, having them completely female is just part of the class' identity (not necessarily some kind of social commentary).

how about everyone starting as a villager?

That's for the FE2 Remake !

Villager being male exclusive is really stupid, though... Why can't girl wears pothead ?

@Rehab : I'm totally OK with Female Warrior, who would look more muscular. I also really wouldlike to see a Femzerker

I honnestly don't know how a Femzerker would look like without drastically changing the animation, that's all.

It's still retconning, which is something that should be avoided if possible.

The "rule" with the female axefighters and troubadours is an implied one, since they don't actually exist. And I mean Axefighters as a class, not Dracolords and Heroes.

The Pegasus rule was literally broken in the very the moment it was introduced.

Karin: Pegasi usually only allow women to ride them, but he says he'll bear with us for now.

Seems more like the Pegasi are just babies about it. Or they are just perverts. Which would why the riders never wear pants.

Also, there is no Secret Order of Axefighters. An Axefighter is simply just someone who fights with the axe. in Fire Emblem, Woman can use axes, so there is no reason that they can't have that class.

Edited by BrightBow

Yeah, but the Pegasus rule was literally broken in the very the moment it was introduced.

Karin: Pegasi usually only allow women to ride them, but he says he'll bear with us for now.

Seems more like the Pegasi are just babies about it. Or they are just perverts. Which would why the riders never wear pants.

Also, there is no Secret Order of Axefighters. An Axefighter is simply just someone who fights with the axe. Woman can use axes in Fire Emblem, so there is no reason that they can't have that class.

That is true. However, running around in their underwear with a giant Axe, is a step above. An awesome step, but still a step...

The only reason people want female Berzerkers is because they're perverts who want to see women running around without their tops on. There is literally no other reason, and while I don't judge you for being a disgusting pervert, I do judge you for pretending you're not and trying to make it about "herp derp EQUAL RIGHTS for video game characters!" Don't try and co-opt feminism to satisfy your sexual fantasies.

Conversely, the only reason people don't want female Berzerkers is because they hate women and think that all women should be docile domestic serfs. There is literally no other reason.

I know there's a certain joke quotient to what you say but gimme a break man, I don't care about the outfit. They can wear a leather or cloth or even plate top or whatever, as long as it's conveyed that they're a monstrously strong force-of-nature with little regard for their personal safety and a lot of regard for the destruction of their enemies. I just think it would be cool to have an extraordinarily strong axe-wielder terrorizing the battlefield and have them happen to be female, for the same reason my developmentally arrested brain thinks it's cool to have Dart ripping through the hordes with naught but a cut bod and an axe as big as him.

Edited by Rehab

it's cool to have Dart ripping through the hordes with naught but a cut bod and a dick as big as him.

i fixed it to represent my own sexual fantasies

Wait, Valkyries rode pegasi?

Their more iconic images show them riding horses through the sky. I wouldn't consider it too much of a stretch for Fire Emblem devs to use that as inspiration for the Peg. Knights, whether actual Nordic traditions say they rode flying horses or not. So long as we're splitting hairs, they probably wouldn't have ridden "pegasi" since there was only one Pegasus.

Edited by Sheik

I think some of the more str oriented classes got to be mainly male though.

But iirc, there was something on how men have more upper body strength than women but idk.

But I'm sure many people have fantasies about Igrene and Echidna running around in dancer gear mowing enemies with bow and axe.