Enter: The Arena - Fire Emblem Character discussion Thread.

TharjaAssault

That is true, and who knows? Sakurai did say he was interested in revisiting characters who didn't make the cut in previous games (if I remember right? please correct me if I'm wrong!)

No, the quote was from a Kid Icarus Uprising interview and went as follows:

Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.

It had nothing to do with bringing back characters that were cut from Melee. Though there was an article a while back where someone asked Sakurai if he's planning to add Mewtwo's new form to Smash Bros., and Sakurai said he's considering it.

I don't think he'd bring back Roy though. Mewtwo, sure since he does have insane fan support for SSB4 (which I'm really not fond of, because of the genwunner fanbase and how 1st Gen in Smash Bros. is overrepresented as is. Even if it was the new form, it's still Mewtwo at base and thus, a Gen 1 at base), Pokemon is the second best selling Nintendo franchise (as well as the 2nd best selling game franchise even when counting all game companies), he's more requested than any Smash newcomer for SSB4, and he's one of the most popular (albeit overrated) legendaries.

The only things Roy literally has going for him are being in a Smash Bros. game previously and his huge fanbase. He's still a one time lord, like practically every FE lead, and he's no longer relevant or recent. I also doubt Roy will be prioritized over Ike and Chrom since Ike has starred in two games and Chrom is from the newest Fire Emblem and IS likely suggested/requested Chrom for SSB4, especially since an FE13 stage is in the 3DS version. Even if Fire Emblem got three spots (four is too much), Marth, Ike, and Chrom are likely to be taking those spots because of their prevalence and/or relevance in the series currently.

*Huge (totally not biased) Roy Hater*

Glad to see I'm not alone with the Roy hate.

I was so annoyed at all the Roy fans obsessing over his "ph1r3" and how they were Sonic fanbase-level rabid, especially when it came to bashing on Marth. Fire is insanely overrated as it (I mean look at Pokemon and the starters) and if those fans even did the slighest bit of homework on FE like I did, they'd know that Marth has much more importance to the entire FE series than Roy does, and would have actually anticipated and saw Roy's removal in Brawl, rather than being outraged and pouty by it.

I apologize to you reasonable Roy fans, but the rabid Roy fans really ruined him for me and I have little respect for him as a result. Even without the fanbase, I still found his voice insanely annoying.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the quote was from a Kid Icarus Uprising interview and went as follows:

It had nothing to do with bringing back characters that were cut from Melee. Though there was an article a while back where someone asked Sakurai if he's planning to add Mewtwo's new form to Smash Bros., and Sakurai said he's considering it.

Ah! Thank you, I stand corrected!

Glad to see I'm not alone with the Roy hate.

I was so annoyed at all the Roy fans obsessing over his "ph1r3" and how they were Sonic fanbase-level rabid, especially when it came to bashing on Marth. Fire is insanely overrated as it (I mean look at Pokemon and the starters) and if those fans even did the slighest bit of homework on FE like I did, they'd know that Marth has much more importance to the entire FE series than Roy does, and would have actually anticipated and saw Roy's removal in Brawl, rather than being outraged and pouty by it.

But-but-but...!

I apologize to you reasonable Roy fans, but the rabid Roy fans really ruined him for me and I have little respect for him as a result. Even without the fanbase, I still found his voice insanely annoying.

Ah, thank you!

Sorry if I came off as harsh in that post. I should really stop letting rude and vocal fans get on my nerves.

Anyways, the only FE characters I can see as being playable are Marth, Ike, Chrom, and maybe Anna. Even if Masked Marth/Lucina didn't have the issue of being heavily similar to Marth, I still don't think she'd be likely since Chrom is established to be more important and prominent in FE13 than Masked Marth/Lucina, especially seeing how he's playable for every chapter and Masked Marth/Lucina isn't. I also doubt they'll have both Chrom and Masked Marth/Lucina playable in Smash Bros., since that's too skewed to FE13 and they've never had two new/recent characters representing a series in Smash Bros. (unless you count having 2 Pokemon in SSB64, but given its insane popularity, prevalence, and success after one game, that's understandable).

Roy was cut from the game after Ike was put in, because they decided that Ike throwing Ragnell (yes, I'm serious) was too hard to balance, so they gave him Roy's Flare Blade.

Also, the Arena Ferox stage means nothing towards confirming an Awakening character. The Hanenbow Fish wasn't in Brawl. The Villager wasn't either, and a humanoid Nintendo 3DS wasn't either. Stage /=/ character. It's also a 3DS exclusive stage, and both games have the same roster.

In terms of Chrom and Roy's popularity, Roy is miles ahead of Chrom. Roy is the fourth most wanted character for Smash 4 while Chrom doesn't even hit the top 10.

Relevancy doesn't matter either. Marth was in Melee despite not appearing since 1993. Same with Brawl because Shadow Dragon didn't exist yet. There isn't a magical rule that states "Thou must hath appeared in one video game in thy past five years to be eligible for the next smash game." Heck, Mega Man (a third party character) wasn't on a Nintendo console since 2006's Mega Man Star Force game for the DS. Relevancy helps, but it isn't a be-all-end-all for character selection.

Sakurai is also shooting for more unique characters as opposed to popular/requested characters, and this is obviously apparent not just from interviews, but the fact that we have Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in the game. Roy's ph1r3 makes him easier to be a more unique character than Chrom.

I'm not wanting Roy in this game, nor do I expect him. But you're really quick to dismiss what he has going for him.

I'm well aware of Ike having his ranged Ragnell attack as his standard special, and it being deemed too powerful so they gave Ike what was supposedly Roy's standard special in Brawl instead. It doesn't seem to be too far off from the truth, especially since Flare Blade and Eruption have many simularities (they both can charge up, they're fiery, and you hurt yourself performing it when it's fully charged).

It's true that stages don't necessarily mean getting a character from that franchise, but seeing how Fire Emblem has had playable characters ever since Melee, I'm quite sure that you can't group Fire Emblem with Hanenbow and Animal Crossing. And seeing how there was both a 4th Gen playable Pokemon (Lucario) and stage (Spear Pillar) in Brawl, it's not like saying an FE13 character is likely because an FE13 stage was confirmed in SSB4 is too ridiculous an assumption. Sure, there's stages specific between the Wii U and 3DS version, but don't you think they would've used an Akanean stage for SSB3DS to represent handheld FEs if Chrom wasn't in? I mean, they used Gerudo Valley for a 3DS specific level, even though Ocarina of Time is more famous for its N64 version than the 3DS version.

Yeah, I'm aware that Roy is heavily requested as well and Chrom isn't as much. Still, IS is one of those "special case" companies within Nintendo that Sakurai mentioned where they're very specific about which of their characters they want in Smash Bros. It's likely Chrom is one of their most prioritized FE characters in regards to Smash Bros.

I was talking about relevance within series where the cast keeps changing, like Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Do you really think I'd be supporting Takamaru if I cared about series relevance in the overall history and timeline of Nintendo? I have absolutely nothing against non-relevant or non-recent Nintendo series being represented with playable characters in Smash Bros. It's relevance and importance within already represented series that I was addressing. It applies heavily to Pokemon and Fire Emblem since according to Sakurai, Game Freak and IS are quite picky when it comes to character choices and character depictions for those game series, so the say of those companies have much more weight than the say of the fans.

Regarding uniqueness, Sakurai has made characters like Ice Climbers and Lucario really unique in ways nobody expected him to. So I'm sure he could do the same for Chrom (perhaps adding some lance moves in his moveset or adding the pair up mechanic somehow). I never really felt Roy's fiery sword differentiated him that much from the other swordsmen. If he used another weapon in conjunction (though I admit he can't really do that since FE6 established him as a strict sword user) or had Light Brand/Rune Sword-like attacks from his sword as well, I'd agree it would.

Thank you, Randoman! I'm glad someone else is saying Ike is more important and should have priority over Roy. People just want Roy because of his Awakening DLC. Well, if Roy can get in because of that, so can Ike, because he got DLC too, plus a descendant and paralogue named for him. Which also shows yet again how much more important Ike is to FE.

Ike is also still the most recent home console lord, and Sakurai saying that the Wii U version will have mostly home console stages is a good excuse to use Tellius stages and add Ike along with them to the roster.

Thank you, Randoman! I'm glad someone else is saying Ike is more important and should have priority over Roy. People just want Roy because of his Awakening DLC. Well, if Roy can get in because of that, so can Ike, because he got DLC too, plus a descendant and paralogue named for him. Which also shows yet again how much more important Ike is to FE.

Ike is also still the most recent home console lord, and Sakurai saying that the Wii U version will have mostly home console stages is a good excuse to use Tellius stages and add Ike along with them to the roster.

34971-Why-dont-we-have-both-ctuI.jpeg

Where are you getting this from?

You are literally the only person who has brought up DLC as Character Priority Evidence™ in this thread.

I'm pretty sure that the people who want Roy back are using his Melee appearance as reasoning.

I have to agree with this, that is NOT the only reason people - or for a more objective persceptive, me - want Roy back. I've only played Melee in snatches, but Roy was a fun character in the game and when I returned home to play Brawl, I actually missed him. I know people say he's bland, boring, and generally uninteresting and I know his revalacy is fading in comparison to Ike and Chrom, but Roy actually has a stellar moveset in Melee and was definitely far more enjoyable to play than the other cut characters.

Roy's not the ONLY character in the entirety of DLC, obviously, and there's plenty of other characters who get re-done for their return in the DLC. Celica, Alm, the Pegasus Knight sisters - but Marth and Roy stand out to me because they're the reasons I even got into this series in the first place, watching my older cousins play Melee matches when I was younger. I think it's just nostaglia, I think it's just wishful thinking, but I - and I'm sure I'm not alone - but there are plenty of reasons why Roy is a viable option for return, and saying that people just want him in because of his DLC appearance is far from true. This, I can attest to.

I think all the arguing about Roy and Ike is kinda silly, they're both good, and it'd be nice if both came back in Smash Bros. Very unlikely, yes, but it'd be nice still. Why can't we all get along? :P

I'd love a "we could all get along" option, and I'd love if they were both in it but sadly, I don't believe the former is going to happening and the second would be nice, but I'd rather not get my hopes up.

I apologize if I sounded harsh in my defense of Roy, if that's any consolation at all.

Edited by Vashiane

I'd like Roy to come back, but how would he get in the roster? Fire Emblem is probably getting 3 playable characters at most, so who are the probable candidates? Marth, Chrom, Ike, Micaiah, Roy, and Lucina. Marth represents the franchise, so he's in. Chrom is the most recent lord, in the game that saved the series, so he could likely make it into Smash Bros. Ike is popular as Anacybelle said before, even getting an ancestor in Awakening. He was also the most recent lord in a console. I highly doubt Miccy is getting in, and think she would be a good assist trophy, but I also think she has the potential for an interesting moveset, along with having a girl to represent Fire Emblem that uses tomes. She, along with Ike, was also in the most recent lord in a console. Who knows, Sakurai could surprise us. Lucina is a major character in Awakening that, uh, would probably have a good intro thing. That's all I can think of, but it would be pretty cool having her appear from that eye shaped portal before chapter 1 starts. Roy is popular and was in Melee, but why should he return? His game didn't even make it outside of Japan. There are characters who are more popular or logical to put in the game.

IMO, Marth>Chrom/Ike>Roy>Miccy/Lucina

I had a dream where I was playing as Marth, and there was a strange looking Smash Ball. I grabbed it, and when I used final smash...It was the Whitewings' Triangle Attack! I thought "OH MY GOD, THAT WAS THE MOST AMAZING SHIT EVER". Really, it was beautiful...That will obviously never be reality, but I just wanted to share. Well, anyway...

The only FE character I'm willing to bet on here is Marth, because of personal bias and his importance to the series as a whole. I might even be okay with it if Marth was the only playable FE character in SSB4. xD

I had a dream last night that you all said Frederick was announced for the game. lol, like that's going to happen. I love him, but he's got practically zero chance, unfortunately. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I had a dream last night that you all said Frederick was announced for the game. lol, like that's going to happen. I love him, but he's got practically zero chance, unfortunately. xP

He might make it in as a sticker.

He might make it in as a sticker.

I meant as playable, but that's not happening. I want him to be an assist trophy, actually. With Awakening's success, it could happen.

Edited by Anacybele

I had a dream when I was playing as Chrom with a lance. I hope they incorporate Chrom's ability to use spears if he gets in, otherwise he will just be another generic blue-haired sword lord.

Why would they do that when Chrom's primary weapon is a sword? The most you'd likely see out of his ability to use lances is a Javelin. Assuming Chrom gets in at all.

Batta, Glass, Gheb, Denning, and 3-13 archer will get in before anyone else.

I actually really want the 3-13 archer, even before I saw this. I'm probably the only one though. <_<;;

I meant as playable, but that's not happening. I want him to be an assist trophy, actually. With Awakening's success, it could happen.

over Lucina/Robin?

nah, no chance (inb4 Nah jokes)

I had a dream when I was playing as Chrom with a lance. I hope they incorporate Chrom's ability to use spears if he gets in, otherwise he will just be another generic blue-haired sword lord.

let him avenge the thousands of deaths by projectiles of past Fire Emblem characters and give him a Javelin

You know, it's kind of depressing when people do bad mouth each other over something so trivial over something like this. As a person that does have experience with these discussions, it's rather silly to pick between these sort of characters due to them being rather uninteresting. Mainly referring to Roy, Chrom, and Lucina.

It's kind of depressing when you think about considering Fire Emblem should provid a rather colorful selection of gameplay elements, but that for some reason isn't happening.