Is it for love, or perhaps something more?

It has come to my attention that people seem to just drool over the bodies of certain hotties(Tiki, Cordelia, etc.). It gives me the idea that people loved those characters just for their bodies and base that as their reason for marrying them.

Any thoughts about this? I think it's pretty shallow to base love over something superficial as looks.

I can't help but think the same way. When people say they love Tiki, I wonder if it's because of her rack. Cordelia has some amazing-looking hair and Tharja appeals to the guys who are attracted to goth/punk chicks, so I am not surprised that they've won popularity polls.

I'll admit I've decided to marry Lissa and Nowi because I do like blondes. However, after doing a bit of self-analysis, I know that my main reason was that I love their fun/positive attitudes.

I think many of the people who have commented here love the personality of their spouses, but also their appearance. It's human nature to judge on appearances, especially when you don't fully know one's personality. I'd look down on someone who only marries Tiki just for her boobs, but not if it's secondary to her persona.

Edited by BlueFire

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really came down to the fact that I think that people base their marriages because if how well they look together is pretty bad.

There's a huge jump from friendship to married life, and some people actually do base their love on their spouse's body. Love really does have to develop in order to lead to marriage, not immediately declare your love.

All up to personal preferences, is what it boils down to in the end. If you want my opinion on the Cordelia matter, honestly, I try to give her the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to believe she completely gets over Chrom, but really I think she keeps the possibility in the back of her mind, treating it like a "What if?" scenerio. Not infatuated or even in love, but not completely mentally faithful either.

I can't help but think the same way. When people say they love Tiki, I wonder if it's because of her rack. Cordelia has some amazing-looking hair and Tharja appeals to the guys who are attracted to goth/punk chicks, so I am not surprised that they've won popularity polls.

I'll admit I've decided to marry Lissa and Nowi because I do like blondes. However, after doing a bit of self-analysis, I know that my main reason was that I love their fun/positive attitudes.

I think many of the people who have commented here love the personality of their spouses, but also their appearance. It's human nature to judge on appearances, especially when you don't fuy know one's personality. I'd look down on someone who only marries Tiki just for her boobs, but not if it's secondary to her persona.

Very much agreed. I mean, their appearance is important for first impressions, but once you actually get to know a person (if you care enough I guess), then it becomes more of a bonus than a key selling point - or the only selling point.

I hate doing this, but an objective example: Henry's adorable, and I have no problem admitting THAT, but the thing about that really won me over as potential favorite is his optimism. I don't believe that cheeriness of his is an act, some people can actually look at adversity with a smile and do their best to get over that problem instead of letting it affect them. He's an oddball, sure, but what the hell is normal anyway?

Alright *cracks knuckles* confession time...

My first waifu was cordelia, I liked her because she was nice and didn't have too big of a quirk going on; the Chrom obsession didn't really bother me THAT much. Plus, as mentioned earlier, flaming red haired Morgan is pretty darn adorable. Although, cordelia's hair was what really drove me in, I can't explain why but, it's fine stuff. Next file, I married Tharja, I know what many of you are thinking, "Spiky, you married her for her butt, didn't you? You sick pervert..." No, I'm not an ass-man, err boy, I'm fifteen, whatever you wasn't to call me. I married her so I could have Noire as my daughter (loving husbando powers go!) because Noire is freaking amazing. So, two shallow marriages later, I actually sat down and questioned who i should pick, and I didn't choose by how deep i could fit my face in her butt, or how red and awesome her hair was, but on personality; who was kind, sweet, a little bit crazy, but a cute crazy. I ended up marrying cherche, because of how nice, funny, and her little cute quirk all drove me in. Needless to say, she's my favorite. "Rest in pieces!" Ooh! Tingles my spine everytime...

A thing got exaggerated. >_>

I think this topic could use some change because most people would defend their spouses?

If people love their avatar's spouse for their personality, then they shouldn't be offended here. If they chose their spouse for their looks, then it appears that the people commenting on this topic may judge them poorly.

This is because in real life, long-lasting relationships typically work out better when they aren't based primarily on each other's appearances. I do recognize that this is a game, so people can marry whoever they want for whatever reason. But doing so can imply certain things on how he/she values a partner (if he/she imagines the avatar as him/herself).

I also kind of expected Soiree/Sully to be more popular in the west ever since last year.

She's pretty much at the near the bottom of the poll in Japan. Because ideals discrepancies.

The fact that Sully isnt that popular out here is kinda....weird. She catches a lot of heat for the simple reason of being a "tomboy". Thats a little offensive to me, but whatevs. D:

Ok, i admit it. My first avatar made a bee-line for Virion based solely on his design. Hes hot, dammit. I also like his personality, especially since hes smarter than he lets on. That kind of pragmatism is sexy. Fuck the police.

I had an Avatar marry Henry because hes so hilarious. I like funny. I also like dead baby jokes. Henry is a good match. Libra is also the sexiest person guy not named Virion in my opinion. As for the ladies, my male Avatars like Tharja for her spookiness and nice legs. A male Avatar liked Sumia because adorbs. (see also Nowi) Im also fond of Cherche, but my dude Avatars have yet to marry her. (next time...)

The fact that Sully isnt that popular out here is kinda....weird. She catches a lot of heat for the simple reason of being a "tomboy". Thats a little offensive to me, but whatevs. D:

Ok, i admit it. My first avatar made a bee-line for Virion based solely on his design. Hes hot, dammit. I also like his personality, especially since hes smarter than he lets on. That kind of pragmatism is sexy. Fuck the police.

I had an Avatar marry Henry because hes so hilarious. I like funny. I also like dead baby jokes. Henry is a good match. Libra is also the sexiest person guy not named Virion in my opinion. As for the ladies, my male Avatars like Tharja for her spookiness and nice legs. A male Avatar liked Sumia because adorbs. (see also Nowi) Im also fond of Cherche, but my dude Avatars have yet to marry her. (next time...)

Dead baby jokes, hmm? I can't say I've heard one of those.

Unless it's one of those "knock knock who's there the door" jokes.

Yes, yes, yes. Henry's cute and all, but Libra's so ridiculously sexy it hurts. Pretty boys, I have a thing for 'em.

I actually like Sully... a bit rough-and tumble but still likable.

I'd say Sully isn't popular because she's a bit extreme on her tomboyism. Her attitude about being a woman in a man's world feels like a "been there, done that" type of thing.

I'd say Sully isn't popular because she's a bit extreme on her tomboyism. Her attitude about being a woman in a man's world feels like a "been there, done that" type of thing.

Not really. She seems to get along with guys and gals alike. Its Kjelle who makes a huge stink about her gender.

Sully and Kjelle both rub me the wrong way. D8 Like they were trying too hard to make them "STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR". I exaggerate, of course, but still, it comes off as incredibly irritating. Nobody cares if you're a man or a woman, Sully and Kjelle. Sully, you can be feminine AND tough. And Kjelle, you're not the best fighter and you don't need Lucina to come with you as a two-man army, you stuck-up conceited arrogant bitch. Augh. I'm a westerner, and I'd never even consider marrying Sully.

Anyone here like Emmeryn? I just love her supports with MaMU, it's so bittersweet. Noire is another character who is also really endearing. I also really like Lucina. Those three are the ones I would marry the MaMU to, and as you can see, they don't have any "distinguishing" features (besides Noire I guess).

I base the marriages on the supports mostly. While I do like many characters, some matches just don't work. Sully for example, I like the character, but her supports with Chrom are one of the worst ones in the whole game. So I would never pair them together. Not to mention Chrom and Sumia is totally canon.

My decisions are made depending on whether or not the characters actually have a chemistry going on, and marry each other out of love and friendship, and not for for stupid reasons.

Honestly it's just my taste I guess. Tiamo/Cordelia is like Tharja to me on *THAT* specific front. While Tharja has character development, that's all fine and dandy, but she still abused her child. Still does. I don't care if it's something as insignificant as a nose dripping curse... that's unforgivable.

It's sad that characters like Tharja had the potential to be very depthful characters, but they're never expanded on (or expanded on well). Noire's abuse is the perfect example of this.

From what I know of the supports I got with Tharja, she abuses Noire for no real particular reason other than that she's Tharja. Imagine if they gave us a genuine, believable reason for why she abused Noire. For example, her husband dies early on (maybe due to Noire?), which results in her putting all her misery onto her child. Still reprehensible, but adds empathy into the mix to make a well rounded character. It's little touches like that that could expand these characters so much, but we don't get any of it (or worse, it's ripped out in censorship because us stupid americans need to be handheld by NoA). A total shame.

But no, Tharja's simply the boobs and ass lady because who needs believable characters when ya got fanservice

Edited by Constable Reggie

Sully, you can be feminine AND tough. And Kjelle, you're not the best fighter and you don't need Lucina to come with you as a two-man army, you stuck-up conceited arrogant bitch. \

What make Sully interesting is actually the fact that she know she is still a woman on her core. Frederick x Sully is downright adorable thanks to this fact

As for Kjelle..... its sad to think that her ideology works oh so well in FE:A

It's sad that characters like Tharja had the potential to be very depthful characters, but they're never expanded on (or expanded on well). Noire's abuse is the perfect example of this.

From what I know of the supports I got with Tharja, she abuses Noire for no real particular reason other than that she's Tharja. Imagine if they gave us a genuine, believable reason for why she abused Noire. For example, her husband dies early on (maybe due to Noire?), which results in her putting all her misery onto her child. Still reprehensible, but adds empathy into the mix to make a well rounded character. It's little touches like that that could expand these characters so much, but we don't get any of it (or worse, it's ripped out in censorship because us stupid americans need to be handheld by NoA). A total shame.

But no, Tharja's simply the boobs and ass lady because who needs believable characters when ya got fanservice

Tharja has abused Noire even when her husband was alive. Unfortunately, he hasn't done anything about it in the future, but remedies that in the past during his supports with Noire.

EDIT: So unless I'm missing something, Tharja abused Noire for the sake of abusing Noire. Now, we see a bit of a softer side of her character during her A support and FP1 conversation with Noire, stating that she'd love her even if her future self never did and some other heartwarming (IMO) lines.

EDIT 2: Wow, I have a lot to say about all this. I'll go in more detail tomorrow (or later today, since it's almost 2 AM).

Edited by Zeem

What make Sully interesting is actually the fact that she know she is still a woman on her core. Frederick x Sully is downright adorable thanks to this fact

As for Kjelle..... its sad to think that her ideology works oh so well in FE:A

I forgot about Fred/Sully's convo. 8U

And that may be so, but if she has such a conceited attitude, she can keep her stupid armored ass on the bench, staying a level 10 Knight, forever. I couldn't care less for unit usefulness or stats or so on, so if she has a bad attitude, I won't use her.

There is no good excuse for child abuse. EVER. It doesn't matter what sympathetic/empathetic reason she had, she still abused her daughter, before AND after the husband was killed. Noire is clearly scarred beyond repair from Tharja's abuse, with that demonic split personality. What makes it sickening is that the abuse is played for laughs. Like, "Oh, Tharja, you have the 'best body' in the army, so we can write off your abuse as comedy", like seriously, she is a horrible person.

What more could we possibly learn from Tharja other than what a selfish bitch she is? Her very few heartwarming moments with Noire do nothing to make Tharja seem like a good person. The the end of Noire's recruitment chapter, when Tharja finds out about the talisman. She doesn't seem appalled: she's impressed. "Ooh, the future me is good...and bad.Very bad." With a smile. It's like they thought they could disguise what a horrible woman AND mother Tharja is by making her a "sexy yandere" type so fanboys would ignore the abuse and focus on just her body. No amount of "depth" could fix Tharja's twisted character.

Since this topic has suddenly become "let's tear apart Tharja's character", I'd like to point out that, supposedly, Tharja's abuses kicked into overdrive AFTER her husband's death (as in, the ones that really scarred Noire). And also Tharja died protecting Noire, which is implied to have screwed up poor Noire even further.

Justify her actions? Hell no. But it's good to have a fuller story, I guess.

Now, on what the original topic was... we're dealing with video game characters (unfortunately, because I would totally like to go drinking with Gaius and Gregor). Personally, I prefer using the supports, mostly because there's not really an unappealing character in sight (even Nowi's adorable, even if I know I'd never be able to put up with her for more than five minutes), so the supports help shape their personalities (though for some you have to go through QUITE a few in order to find them not so shallow) and finalize decisions. I also go for what makes sense in story and my own head-canon. But I have friends who choose solely for looks, and that's completely okay, because these are VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS and, thus, you can be forgiven for being a little shallow in this case.

But I have friends who choose solely for looks, and that's completely okay, because these are VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS and, thus, you can be forgiven for being a little shallow in this case.

If they chose their spouse for their looks, then it appears that the people commenting on this topic may judge them poorly.

[...] I do recognize that this is a game, so people can marry whoever they want for whatever reason. But doing so can imply certain things on how he/she values a partner (if he/she imagines the avatar as him/herself).

I like to poke fun at my friends' spouse choices and I don't lose respect for them if they chose their spouse based on looks. But every time I see a guy who is such a huge Tiki fan that they'd decide to marry her (mostly) because of that, I can't help but judge them negatively for expressing how much of a huge Titi fan they are. That's just me, but I think it's fair so say that when you don't know the other forum users that well, it's easy to judge them poorly - it's the internet.

Edited by BlueFire

Try to have separate perspective on things, that save a lot of headache.

I mean, if I like psychopathic child murderer soldier because he suffered many mental breakdown as a child soldier with many well written reason to justify his state, does that make approve of child murdering/child soldier? Nope.

As Constable Reggie said, Awakening have so much potential but it seems the writer deliberately missed them out. I found that many of the interesting support conversations are the ones that reveal small detail but significant enough to add depth to their personality. Like Frederick habit of starting fire and his hate on wild animal meat comes from his childhood trauma or how Kellam got his "trait" because he is so selfish that his entire family begin to ignore him (his father or mother must be a former potent dark mage to put such strong hex).

Many Male unit have this little touch on their support conversation, which makes them generally better and preferably, easier to defend than the females. Many female unit lack this touch, makes me harder to defend my choice. What to argue when there is nothing worth explaining?

There is no good excuse for child abuse. EVER. It doesn't matter what sympathetic/empathetic reason she had, she still abused her daughter, before AND after the husband was killed. Noire is clearly scarred beyond repair from Tharja's abuse, with that demonic split personality. What makes it sickening is that the abuse is played for laughs. Like, "Oh, Tharja, you have the 'best body' in the army, so we can write off your abuse as comedy", like seriously, she is a horrible person.

What more could we possibly learn from Tharja other than what a selfish bitch she is? Her very few heartwarming moments with Noire do nothing to make Tharja seem like a good person. The the end of Noire's recruitment chapter, when Tharja finds out about the talisman. She doesn't seem appalled: she's impressed. "Ooh, the future me is good...and bad.Very bad." With a smile. It's like they thought they could disguise what a horrible woman AND mother Tharja is by making her a "sexy yandere" type so fanboys would ignore the abuse and focus on just her body. No amount of "depth" could fix Tharja's twisted character.

I really feel bad for poor Noire. Especially due to the fact that in her supports with Tharja, she does everything she can to IMPRESS her. I think due to Tharja's abuse on her, she might feel like she's a disappointment to her, or something. I mean, she was abused quite frequently, and it pretty much scarred her for life. And the game uses that as comedy relief, and while it can be funny at times, it's still something that I'm not really impressed with in-game.

There is no good excuse for child abuse. EVER.

^What they said.

They expanded it a lot more than I am... but hell... If you love the person you married above all else... and yet they abuse your child... even in the most insignificant way... That's enough reason for me to get the hell out of the relationship.

I honestly don't see the appeal for Tharja at all. She's creepy, she's too fanservicey, and I agree that child abuse is just NO, no matter what. I also don't like stalker characters. And she keeps going after Avatar even after both of them are already married.

Thankfully, Frederick appears to be one of the only people that are immune to her hexes, so he'd scare her off good and permanently. "STAY AWAY FROM MY WIFE OR PICK A GOD AND PRAY!" Hehe. Oh, and I don't count the support with Noire because with Frederick it makes no sense.

Edited by Anacybele