Spriting Social Discussion

Lenh

A place for general talk about spriter-specific things. Socialize!

[spoiler=Old Polls:]

[spoiler=Favorite Mug Color Style (June 2013)]

FE1: Yohan Kebab

FE4: ∑-sigma-

FE5: Lenh, Hamlet, LunaSaint

FE7: DH_Ninja, L95, Kitty of Time, Mystgun, Tchyrimi or halfrohp, Kramgnauh, Anacybele, eCut, Kon, The Merc, KoopaTroopa, jealousy, Lord Glenn, Hamlet, MarioKirby, Kratos Aurion

FE8: DH_Ninja, GreatEclipse, L95, Aviv, Matt Snow, Sqawl, AstraLunaSol, deranger, Vestige, ∑-sigma-, Amelia, Freohr Datia, Agro, Shin, Kon, The Merc, Cyron, KoopaTroopa, Primefusion, Hamlet, Canadian Dynamite, Yohan Kebab

I make my own colors and love them most: DH_Ninja, Aviv, Thor Odinson, Sqawl, Amelia, Freohr Datia, Anacybele, jealousy, General Ciraxis, Hamlet

[spoiler=What resources you sprite(last half of 2013)]

Mugs(FC): DH_Ninja, Acha Emiya, Aviv, Thor Odinson, NICKT™, Amelia, Freohr Datia,Anacybele, eCut, Kon, Aramercis, Haku, Aeothos, General Ciraxis, Kratos Aurion
Mugs(Splices): DH_Ninja, GreatEclipse, Lenh, Acha Emiya, Aviv, Sqawl, deranger, Tchyrimi or halfrohp, NICKT™, Freohr Datia, Kramy, Anacybele, eCut, Agro, Shin, Kon, Haku,Aeothos, General Ciraxis, Hamlet, Canadian Dynamite, Parrhesia, Kratos Aurion
Battle Sprites: DH_Ninja, Lenh, Aviv, Thor Odinson, deranger, NICKT™, Kramy, Anacybele, eCut,Aramercis, Aeothos, General Ciraxis, Hamlet
Map Sprites: DH_Ninja, deranger, NICKT™, Anacybele, eCut, Agro, General Ciraxis
Weapon Icons: NICKT™, Anacybele, eCut, Aeothos, General Ciraxis, Lord Glenn, Hamlet,LunaSaint
Other FE Elements(layouts, effects, fonts, etc) : General Ciraxis, Lord Glenn
Maps: DH_Ninja, Acha Emiya, Matt Snow, Sqawl, deranger, NICKT™, Anacybele, eCut,Shin, Primefusion, General Ciraxis, Lord Glenn, MarioKirby, LunaSaint

I don't sprite: Vestige

Edited by Lenh

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it was a good idea for an aspiring spriter to have someone he or she could consult as well as a good group of critics in order to get better. I'm still not that good but looking back, thank god you people were there. xD

With regards to the color thing, I think FE7 is better since they tend to be pleasant to the eyes. Idk. They just seem better to work with.

I generally use FE8's level of saturation because it's easier to work with, but I make my own palettes. FE7's definitely blends better, but it's harder to make a good palette and I don't like stealing palettes when I don't have to.

I haven't sprited in ages, though.

Well I make maps so I choose FE8 because they're tilesets are mostly better IMO. Villages have two levels, the pallets generally look cooler, there's more variety, etc. Someday I want to learn how to make my own tilesets, but I hear it isn't really easy and I don't have alot of time on my hands right now, changing the pallet for one might be more doable though.

I (poorly) splice and occasionally attempt (awful) full customs. I also do emotes from time to time. ~(_~)

I prefer FE6/7 palettes because they're softer and I enjoy easy viewing, although I use FE8 palettes from time to time.

Edited by Tchyrimi or halfrohp

I do whatever I want however I want. :D

Though for palettes, I do adore the FE4 tones, it's the only FE I've played that wasn't on a GBA and I prefer the colours over the later titles, however I sprite in FE8 colours mostly. Though after, I tend to alter palettes through Usenti so it doesn't really matter much, it's mostly just the FE8 saturation that I like.

FE8 colors, sometime makes up stuffs because I can. with halp though

Mainly FC now.

But I prefer editing sprites over starting from scratch. I hate FE layout. I always messes up proportion and stuffs.

Heehee, I prefer FE8's scheme just because I prefer its appearance in comparison to FE7 x3 But I also tend to make up my own colours. I splice and make custom mugs. Although I guess any time I tried working on custom mugs I never got them finished~ I find it hard to feel inspired enough to finish anything nowadays... Maybe I should try to change that and bump my old thread, so I can even get advice and see if I'm even good at FCing =3

I haven't actually sprited in a long time, but I've done tons of sprites. Mugs (mostly splices, but some have custom parts and one is full custom), battle sprites, map sprites, weapon sprites, and maps. I've done all those.

Most of them are for my fic, Dawn of Darkness. I'll probably sprite something again soon, though, now that this thread exists. lol

As for colors, I like FE7's best. FE8's tend to be too bright for me and I haven't tried any style outside GBA.

Edited by Anacybele

I sprite as a means to an end. Stupid hacks.

As for me, I like FE8 colours da best, although I'm hopeless at making my own and so I just steal stuff. I steal a lot of stuff. Map sprites are my favourite to do, though. Not a lot of people seem to do them which gives mine a bigger wow factor, I guess.

Edited by Agro

I always resort to FE7 colors, unless I'm making a character with really dark hair. Then it's FE8, naturally.

Also, I almost never make my own palettes. I go to a paint file that has a majority of FE6 FE7 and FE8 mugs and just sift through and find the shades and colors I want.

Custom mugs until the day I die. I also used to do battle sprites a lot more. Making animations was fun, I think I might go back and do more of that.

I'm a mug spriter all the way~ Most of my work has been splices, but I've been doing more and more full custom (although I'm still pretty bad at it). As for colors, I like both FE7 and FE8 palettes~ I've tried making my own palettes a time or two, but I'm not very good at it....

I prefer FE7-style palettes, and generally make my own. As much as I enjoy the freedom of saturation that FE8 palettes allow, I simply find FE7's more attractive because of its restrictiveness.

I prefer making custom sprites for a number of reasons:

- vanilla sprites have a tendency to be a little less than quality

- vanilla sprites don't have the parts I need, or the parts at the angle I need, or the angles I need, etc., or splicing a number of parts together to form the part I need would require more work than simply making it from scratch

- using vanilla sprites essentially means I either need to continue working with the original style or clean up the entire piece so that it matches with my own style

This isn't to say I don't splice, since I often do create simple splices for temporary mug requests, but it's really just easier to make things from scratch.

While I tend to specialize in mugs, I do also work on icons and battle sprites. I've done a couple of maps, but I don't find them very exciting, and indoor maps will be the death of me. I'll probably have to do quite a bit of everything eventually, though, considering how small our project group for FEOC is, so I'm sort of looking forward to trying out new things. Alternatively, I'd also sort of like to step away from FE style and try some other styles out, but it's proving to be a rather difficult habit to break.

I'm still relatively new to spriting, I try to sprite a little bit of everything, unfortunately it seems I sometimes spread myself too thin, trying to do many different spriting projects at once. Most of my work is incomplete, however I often revisit different projects to work on them. There's usually one or two different projects I grind myself on, right now they are my profile portrait, and the battle sprite for said portrait.

Typically I use or splice together a base sprite to work with, slowly customizing it to fit my purposes. For example the portrait I use as my profile started out using the Gilliam portrait. I plan to move on to FC once I feel I've improved enough to take my work to that level.

Edited by General Ciraxis

While I've dabbled in battle sprites and map sprites here and there in the past, I don't have the time, dedication, or skill any longer to create custom works from them, so I don't feel like those are applicable for me to check.

Still try to find time every so often (maybe a couple times a month) to do a little work with weapon icons, maps, or miscellaneous graphics if I have the motivation and desire to work on them. My work schedule hasn't really afforded me much time or drive to do so, though. Plus I'm still waiting for Agro to stop being slow and inserting the graphics I donated to him

I make bad mugs, bad battle sprites, and weapon icons. I like the FE7 pallette the best although some of the colors aren't good so I usually alter them to my liking and/or make my own. goddamn blues

I do like FE8 style colors as well although I've been FE7-ing it up lately.

Sacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem so I'm partial to those palettes. I've been messing around with my own skin palette similar to Awakening's but it just doesn't mesh well with the 15 colour limit and the fact that I need to also use the skin palette for extra things such as trim for armor. :/