FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

There exists a (somewhat blurry) layout of at least one of these bonus maps, so hey, if somebody can recreate it and insert it into the game, then I wouldn't be opposed to implementing it.

As far as I'm concerned, though, it's something very few people got to play anyway. I also personally always thought the trial maps were boring to begin with, so I don't care too much either way.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we theoretically do ever get ahold of them for implementation in the translation, my guess is that not much will need translating anyway - trial maps have no dialogue and i doubt these will be an exception, and the enemy name strings are probably borrowed from the main game or the other trial maps, so that basically just leaves the trial map menu description. of course that'll need doing but it's a relatively simple task as far as these things go

as for how the distributions were implemented in the first place, i vaguely recall reading about how the idea was for the winners of the map distribution contests to send their FE6 carts into Nintendo or V-Jump to have the maps implemented, after which the carts would be sent back

By the way, does anyone know off the top of their head any villages or chests in FE7 (or FE8) that give the player money? The silly looking "5000 received!" is another thing that needs to be fixed but I want to see how obtaining gold was phrased in the other games.

The amount of gold or the name of the item and the "received!" text are in different places and the "received!" text comes after the item name. It would take some additional tinkering to get the text to sandwich the item name and I don't know where to begin. It might be possible, but for the time being I just want to get that "gold" in there.

If that were true then we would have the maps... People have hacked the other items in to the other games because it exists in the game code. The fact that the maps are not in the ROM is the reason why we haven't found them. I mean, look at all the extensive hacking tools catered towards GBA... You'd think they would be documented by now if they existed in the regular ROM

I never said the mario maps were in the code. I just said what comprises them was in the code. The terrain, characters, enimies, and weapons ALL MUST be in the code, otherwise it wouldn't work to begin with. Nintendo or Jump or whoever just put those things together, with a map builder, and viola! The maps were made. This goes here and that goes there. All we need to do is either:

A: find a sav or rom file with the maps (easier said than done, I know)

or B: look at the map scans and try our damnedest to put them together, all while conforming to a GBA's limitations.

I remember a fourum way back that had scans of these maps, but they never found enemy placement. We can probably find the terrain, but God help us when it comes time to put enemies down....

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

I think I have weapon stat screens done. I couldn't get them to look QUITE exactly like FE7 due to some spacing issues I don't know how to solve, but I'd say it's close enough. Certainly an improvement anyway.

VDAC7Af.png1awQzkV.png

v0.95 of the TL patch and v1.2 of the numbers patch are out.

This one has a lot of little stuff and some new graphics from bookofholsety.

By the way, thanks Hero of the Fire Emblems for the typo report. I'll fix it in the next version since I missed it here... :P

Edited by gringe

wrt the trial maps the actual map data is definitely not in the ROM; there's nothing that looks like unused event code anywhere in the ROM that i can find

you're welcome to try to recreate them but i honestly feel like that's more work than it's worth

What was changed for the numbers patch?

Jerrot was given his original base stats back and had his growths reduced from before (but they're still higher than the original game). Niime is back to her original bases and growths. Deke had his speed growth restored. Perceval has had his strength buff removed.

Guys, i found the event map forum I was talking about. They found scans for three of the maps, and recreated one with startling
accuracy, leaving only ONE TILE wrong; and it took me three long lookovers ta notice, Second from the right at the very top.
Unfortuntely the "Grand Prize", Defeat Bandits, Remains an elusive son of a beach, and enemy placement for any map is absent. Probably Nintendo wanted to surprise the winners.
Can someone tell me how to spoiler these? I don't want to take up all this space...

The scans I (they) found:
gazou-fev.gif V-type and J-type, along with.. i guess 5th place prizes?

gazou-fe4.gif The "real" map, in it's sacred holy super secret awsomeness.
i like trial maps cuz' I get to use the most badass Divine Weapon,

Eckesachs The Giant Scepter Lightning Sword of Holiness!!!

Zephiel_king.gifYOU SHALL BOW TO IT'S MIGHT, PUNY LYCIANS!!!!!!

...and I guess Zephiel and the King class are OK too.

gazou-fe.gif
This... needs translating. Plz help with this, it looks important to my trained eyes. Of course every image here is important I guess

grizel_execution_court.png Credit to Superluigi btw. If you read this, thanks man. Or possibly girl.

Regardless, I think it would be cool to restore lost, optional content. I wouldn't know where to begin though and we have no idea of enemy placement and reinforcements (other than the Grizel one).

AND, we have that pesky Defeat Bandits to deal with... I guess we could give Hasha no Tsugri (I probably butchered that) a read for enemy placement implications, and J-type is slightly obscured... V-type is fair game though. The reason I want that random image translated is because it looks like a difficulty setting, which means multiple enemy layouts. If so, that's just the icing, isn't it?

I want it in YOUR patch though, gringe. The perfect translation, and the perfect recreation.. who wouldn't download that?!? I may have been squabling to you over Roro/Legion before, but this could be BIG for the fanbase as a whole if it works.

And besides, they already made that topic (where you think I got the scans, Japan?) and you can see where THAT went. It would have more of a chance as a rider, in my opinion. If I could find a map builder program for FE6/7, I might be able to recreate these maps with help from you guys.

Well, thanks, but this isn't strictly translation related. Granted the numbers patch wasn't either, but making that was trivial and I did it basically all on my own. The point is, getting them right will take some discussion and until they're implemented, they're not directly related to the translation.

If you're able to get the maps working without problems, I'll gladly implement them. You're free to use the translation patch as the base ROM, too.

Truth is i've never touched making a ROM hack before in my life, but... I want this to happen. I have Early College High School to deal with, but if you can point me to some software i'll learn how. I don't care how hard it is or if it takes a year, I'LL LEARN. I have conviction. if there's a chance... no matter how small... I WANT MY SCEPTER SWORD IN A BANDIT MAP!

But really, how is a 14 year old supposed to find an obscure map scan from a foreign country released promotionally to a select crowd 11 years ago by himself? I need help doing this, at least finding it. If it even exists. Who am I kidding?

Just wanted to drop by and say that this patch is excellent so far! I'm almost done my first full playthrough with it! (chapter 24)

Keep up the excellent work man! :)

Truth is i've never touched making a ROM hack before in my life, but... I want this to happen. I have Early College High School to deal with, but if you can point me to some software i'll learn how. I don't care how hard it is or if it takes a year, I'LL LEARN. I have conviction. if there's a chance... no matter how small... I WANT MY SCEPTER SWORD IN A BANDIT MAP!

But really, how is a 14 year old supposed to find an obscure map scan from a foreign country released promotionally to a select crowd 11 years ago by himself? I need help doing this, at least finding it. If it even exists. Who am I kidding?

I could help you search for it, if it exists. I'm not sure what it's called in Japanese, though, and without a name it's difficult to know what to search.

If you're that serious, Nightmare and FEditor are the programs you want to use. I can't help you with creating or inserting maps, though, because I've never done that kind of thing myself. I'll just direct you to the ROM Hacking forums.

Just wanted to drop by and say that this patch is excellent so far! I'm almost done my first full playthrough with it! (chapter 24)

Keep up the excellent work man! :)

Thanks!

I could help you search for it, if it exists. I'm not sure what it's called in Japanese, though, and without a name it's difficult to know what to search.

pegasusknight.com refers to the first three maps as グライゼル処刑場, V型オリジナルマップ and J型オリジナルマップ. it doesn't have any information at all on the "defeat bandits" one, let alone a name, and despite the alleged means of obtaining it being a rankings contest on the FE6 official website i can't seem to find any reference to it there either