FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

I suppose the easiest way to check the accuracy would be to check it against the Japanese version.

EPvtP59.png

The actual order, as arranged in the screenshot is...

Tactics (I think) Battle (Not really sure what this is determined by or what it's called in FE7, assuming it was there)

Survival Experience

Funds Strength (I guess this is determined based on your characters' final levels?)

"battle" is referred to as "combat" in FE7 ranks. "strength" does not exist as a rank in FE7, but colloquially it has been referred to as "power." so do with that what you see fit. the rank is based on the combined levels of all units in the army, as opposed to EXP, which is based on the amount of EXP gained by all units in the army.

(and obviously, the more units you recruit, the better the "power" rank is, because you get those units' free levels.)

Edited by dondon151

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Battle (Not really sure what this is determined by or what it's called in FE7, assuming it was there)

dondon has this right. IIRC, this rank is determined by % of battles in which you KO the enemy.

His name is actually supposed to be pronounced like "clayn" so "Klein" is actually possibly a mistake by IS.

Did not know, interesting. That's an odd sort of name, but certainly not the strangest in the series, or even in this game...

"Ward" as a name for a character with no defense is very unfitting.

Lol, true.

Yep.

Confirmed and very much appreciated.

Randomly noticed a typo in Ch. 9 intro:

Many in Lycia are uneager send their troops to the Western Isles to deal with bandits,

missing "to" between "uneager" and "send".

I'm guessing FEditor is too ROM-specific and haxxed to dump the script for this patch? I'd like to do more proofreading and it's a lot harder to do with the actual game as a distraction.

I've always thought Deke was basically one of your best options through the whole game thanks to his monstrous bases and Con. Also pretty sure Niime is only a god in LTC. The patch was made with normal play in mind.

Deke has somewhat mediocre speed growth, he's actually somewhat a crutch

Niime is essentially a free Nostank coming out of nowhere before even considering her Warp and Rescue access. In my latest run, after the snow mountain where she joined, I basically slap her on a crowd and then spam A. She's not something like say.... Yodel who aside from his ridiculous utility is rather useless

I'm basing this one my HM Vanilla casual runs btw

Sorry if my comment is rude tho. I really think I am :(:

It's fine. I'm sure a lot of those changes are up to some debate or opinion and that's why I made the numbers patch completely separate. It takes about a minute to change the numbers in Nightmare anyway.

Thanks for the typo report, zahlman. The only way I know of to read the script directly is just to browse through the text editor in FEditor.

i don't know why i'm doing this but i'm treating you lot to something almost nobody cares about: my past half-hour of epilogue-hacking frustration

2:14am:

tumblr_n09ubkeBMD1qhx4jao1_500.png

oh geez now i’ve caused this background glitch to be a thing and i have no idea how

it’s definitely something caused by my implementations of bad-ending epilogue scrolls, but i’m at a loss for what in particular it may have been. i want to say filesize but i haven’t had any similar problems before

nonetheless it’s definitely worth looking into finding a way to limit the size in a way the gba actually likes

2:16am:

okay now i’m confused the filesize of the original japanese graphic is twice as large as this one and it plays with no problems

of course i’m actually replacing an old translation one in a different part of the rom, which is smaller than mine if not by much but even so how is this a thing

2:23am:

i chipped the filesize down pretty nicely in usenti (~8kb > ~4kb, smaller than the old translation's) and it’s still there

2:26am:

as a test i just inserted the original japanese graphic and the black block is still there

also it was too big so it completely killed the adjoining link arena graphics but that’s beside the point

2:30am:

aaaaaaand now i’ve gotten the exact same result by re-inserting the exact same graphic right on top of itself again

present hypothesis: what the actual hell

2:31am:

it’s far too late at night for me to be wrestling with uncooperative rom hacks

this is part plea for help, part inviting people to delight in my suffering; if anyone does want to take a look, it's offset a22000. insert basically anything there and see if you reproduce the error?

this black block is going to haunt my nightmares for years i just know it

(clarification: each of the above tests used a fresh old-translation ROM; i'm stupid in many ways, but trying to test by putting test upon test on top of each other isn't one of them)

quick side note @gringe: i had to kind of rewrite the script you provided to fit with the paragraph breaks, which look something like this

Edited by bookofholsety

Does it have something to do with the text at the bottom that is taken all the way to top I wonder? This is something the original patch didn't get right, so what if you just deleted that text? It's not important, anyway. I'm just trying to think of things that are different between the new version and old version and this is the only thing that comes to mind.

Also confirm you used the same "shade" of black for the whole background of the graphic.

Lastly, it is the same pixel size as the Japanese graphic, right?

I don't mind you rewriting it to fit. I certainly wasn't attached to the exact phrasing I wrote.

Edited by gringe

Does it have something to do with the text at the bottom that is taken all the way to top I wonder? This is something the original patch didn't get right, so what if you just deleted that text? It's not important, anyway. I'm just trying to think of things that are different between the new version and old version and this is the only thing that comes to mind.

oh no this is a different one used in the bad ending which in the batch of rips i sent you i believe i designated "scroll 4 (the dark priestess was never found)"; the epiloguex/xx scroll works perfectly without a similar glitch.

Also confirm you used the same "shade" of black for the whole background of the graphic.

when i finally realised what was going on, that was my first thought too, but nope the entire background is indeed a solid #000000. attempting to reimplement the original Japanese equivalent on top of it (on a clean old-translation ROM of course) gives the same results, as does just reinserting the old translation's version without any edits whatsoever, so it doesn't look like the issue is localised to the palette

Lastly, it is the same pixel size as the Japanese graphic, right?

yup, 256x256 pixels, no problems there

at this point i'm tentatively assuming that this has somehow instigated a bug with how the background renders, rather than the scroll; examining the tile viewer in VBA while this glitch was in action indicates the black block isn't on the scroll's layer. no matter how i look at it the graphic seems completely clean, which is disappointing because i don't know how to attribute blame to anything other than myself :P i guess the best test i can do is try and implement these in a clean japanese rom and see if i get the same results

Wish I could help somehow, but I'm not home this weekend so I can't really fiddle around with the ROM.

For what it's worth, while finding a solution would of course be ideal, if the worst issue the patch has is a little black box in the upper corner of the bad ending, then hey, I'll accept that. Bartre fixed the Elphin glitch after all and this isn't even as bad as that in my opinion.

Edited by gringe

Wow, this doesn't make any sense. I tried searching for all those ranking criteria words in the game's hex, but couldn't find any of them. Then I checked in FEditor and found them immediately. Anyways, I'll leave it to you, Gringe, to fix them since you can do it through FEditor. Make sure the Elphin problem doesn't reoccur after using FEditor though. It may help to deallocate those 8 bits used for his animation in FEditor, and if you'd like to do this then put "4A768" in the "Start Address" box, and 100 in the "Length" box. However, you should only do this if the game gets glitched after saving in FEditor again. If it doesn't, then I probably wouldn't bother.

Also, I would use the following names for the six ranks as seen on this page. They are in the correct order.

Hey Gringe. I played FE6 about halfway a year or two ago, but the stuffy translation killed it for me. Seeing this has given me a renewed liking for the game. That said, I noticed this in Chapter 20A, when Shanna recruits Juno. "You were captain"...? Do you mean something like "You're our captain"?

you%20were%20captain.png

Juno wasn't Shanna's captain though.

Oh really, then what was Juno part of the captain for? I haven't cleared that chapter yet and I was going back to Chapter 1 up to Chapter 6 to see any mistakes needed to be corrected.

When I was playing through chapter 8 for my playlog, Wendy and Bors had their conversation when Wendy explains that she was knighted yesterday and unless my eyes played a trick on me, Bors' first dialogue bubble "skipped" very quickly and goes to his second bubble without me pressing anything. I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but I thought I'd bring it up

Mind you, I'm still using v0.92, but I've looked at the OP and it hasn't been mentioned

I think something like 'You were a captain' would be better. If Juno was one of many captains. Unless she was the only captain or something.

I guess that would work.

Edited by King Marth 64

NO! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AT ALL! WE MUST RESURRECT THE ANTI-GRINGE ALLIANCE!

"You were captain" is slightly ambiguous and it did initially make me look again to make sure I read it right, but there is no need to change it.

if it absolutely had to be changed, i'd have to go with something to the effect of "you were THE captain" given that Shanna's trying to talk up Juno being unbeatable or something, the emphasis trying to say that she's not just any captain but the GREATEST CAPTAIN EVER (obnoxiously large number of exclamation marks go here)

Well, I do want to avoid any confusion, so I changed it to "You were a captain of the pegasus knights! There's no way Bern could defeat you." This emphasizes how Shanna admires pegasus knights as a whole (note: Shanna is in training throughout the events of the game so she's technically not a full pegasus knight yet).

Thanks for the reports by the way. I fixed the Bors/Wendy one but there may be others I missed so let me know if you see any others.