FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

Gringe, I'm feeling in the mood for rewrites again. I know you didn't have time to see some of my last stuff, but, I think I have an idea for Roy vs. Zephiel. Basically, instead of saying "we may have done awful things, but we've always fixed that stuff!", how about "But don't you see? A world without emotion would also be a world without compassion! Without virtue, without friends...it'd be an empty world, without any heart. Is that the world you want to live in?". Something like that...maybe a little less cheesy, but something like that. The argument seems a little one-sided otherwise (I remember one forumgoer criticizing the story because the way the story came off, Zephiel seemed more convincing than Roy).

What do you think of me making something and sending it to you? Or is that something that would be more suited towards when you have this more complete, and want editors to look over your script?

Edited by FionordeQuester

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a list of command name changes you might want to add to the patch. I've listed the offset of the command name, and the original and changed hex in order to get the recommended change. All this can be done with a simple hex editor.

"Cnt" (0x817492) to "Use"
82A4 82E8 82F1 change to 82C8 82F0 82DC

"Trw" (0x8174AA) to "Drp" (short for drop)
82C6 82ED 82AE to 82A6 82ED 82EA

"Conquer" (0x817510) to "Seize" (as used in the other games)
82A4 82E9 82E8 82EB 82AA 82DC 82ED to

82C4 82DC 82E0 82B4 82DC 0000 0000

"Destroy" (0x817682) to "Discard"
82A6 82DC 82F0 82F1 82ED 82E9 82B2 to
82A6 82E0 82F0 82D6 82D0 82ED 82D9

Edited by bartre

Gringe, I'm feeling in the mood for rewrites again. I know you didn't have time to see some of my last stuff, but, I think I have an idea for Roy vs. Zephiel. Basically, instead of saying "we may have done awful things, but we've always fixed that stuff!", how about "But don't you see? A world without emotion would also be a world without compassion! Without virtue, without friends...it'd be an empty world, without any heart. Is that the world you want to live in?". Something like that...maybe a little less cheesy, but something like that. The argument seems a little one-sided otherwise (I remember one forumgoer criticizing the story because the way the story came off, Zephiel seemed more convincing than Roy).

What do you think of me making something and sending it to you? Or is that something that would be more suited towards when you have this more complete, and want editors to look over your script?

Rewrites of that sort are a little too different from the original script for my taste. I believe Zephiel is SUPPOSED to sound convincing, because even Merlinus says he had a point. The means (killing all humanity), however, is self-evidently heinous I think. I'm not sure it needs Roy to make a big speech for it.

Here's a list of command name changes you might want to add to the patch. I've listed the offset of the command name, and the original and changed hex in order to get the recommended change. All this can be done with a simple hex editor.

Thanks. There are quite a few other command and other such changes I would like to make too, but I'll get to the specifics later. I don't think I can do these edits just this moment but maybe tomorrow.

Edited by gringe

"Cnt" (0x817492) to "Use"

82A4 82E8 82F1 change to 82CB 82F0 82DC

Are you sure this is correct? When I did this, it changed the word to "Xse" instead of "Use".

Roy: "No matter what hardships are to come, I will never give up. We have to show that even humans can construct a beautiful and peaceful world!"

So I guess you may just be correct Gringe. So I guess that's what the game wants us to take away from it? Humans are screwed up?

Rewrites of that sort are a little too different from the original script for my taste. I believe Zephiel is SUPPOSED to sound convincing, because even Merlinus says he had a point. The means (killing all humanity), however, is self-evidently heinous I think. I'm not sure it needs Roy to make a big speech for it.

Shoot. Actually, that kind of shoots down whatever ideas I had for Roy vs. Idoun (titling the chapter "Picking up the Pieces" rather than what it was, replacing "such strong...will..." with, "...there really is nothing left of you, is there?...Fine. I see how it is.", etc...). Oh well.

One thing I am curious about though, what do you make of Lilina being more knowledgeable than Roy about the Durandal in Chapter 7x? I always did find it kind of weird how little Roy knew about the legendary weapon of his own ancestor compared to Lilina.

Well, after taking another look at that speech, I think I found a way of rewriting it that punches it up without changing the meaning of the script at all, or making it hammy (as you thought my rewrite of Chapter 1 was). Do you wish for me to post it, or would you rather I didn't?

Well, after taking another look at that speech, I think I found a way of rewriting it that punches it up without changing the meaning of the script at all, or making it hammy (as you thought my rewrite of Chapter 1 was). Do you wish for me to post it, or would you rather I didn't?

I'll be honest: even if you post it I probably won't use it. I'm not really looking to overhaul story text at this point. If there's any text I'm likely to make changes to it's the supports, because I wrote a lot of them very quickly.

No offense, but I've read Gringe's work and all the work you've "helpfully" posted so far... and Gringe's is far superior.

It's not perfect, no, but it's pretty damn great. I might go through sometime in the near future and clean up anything erroneous that I see if there's anything out of place.

Thanks a lot. I was able to make those changes. I was wondering if you can't help me with some other hex editing stuff.

iORGGDQ.png

I want to change this "End" to "Wait" (the one that appears with a unit selected) as in the other GBA FEs.

There are two different level up screens that show up depending on whether you have animations on or not.

bEDTEHq.pngIGuPEeR.png

I want to make the one on the left look like the one on the right.

W3usWPu.pngXOJX9TD.png

Same here.

KWHF32h.pngXOJX9TD.png

I want to change "Mgc" on the left to "Mag" as on the right (OCD alert)

i9DNfO1.png

I want to change "Sing" to "Play"

v45EoPH.png

I want to change "Release" to "Drop"

MIzoZft.png

I want to delete the "Units" text in the upper right because it overlaps with the number when it goes to double digits

wkM9d4b.png

"Suspend" won't fit, but for terminology consistency between the GBA FEs, I want to change "Quit" to "Suspnd"

If it's easier to edit it yourself, that's no problem at all. Feel free. Here's the latest in-progress patch, and I'm about to go to bed so I won't be able to work on this for another 22 hours or so anyway because of work. If you'd rather just post instructions like before, then just go ahead and ignore this link.

https://www.mediafire.com/?pq8ljcvekjrt61m

It's depending on whether you have animations on or not. I normally play with animations off but they're forced in the arena. I don't know why they're different in the patch.

Edited by gringe

Okay so here's some of the changes you wanted:

Units (0x8177E8) to Nothing

Overwrite with 00 until 0x8177F2

Release (0x8175DA) to Drop

82C2 82DC 82E6 82DC 82D0 82F0 82DC to 82A6 82ED 82E9 82EA 0000 0000 0000

Sing (0x81753A) to Play

82C4 82E0 82E8 82DE > 82BD 82E6 82D0 82B2

Mgc (0x8171C2, 0x817216) to Mag

82B7 82DE 82D6 to 82B7 82D0 82DE

Are you sure about changing "Release"? I think it's more accurate than drop, and drop is already being used for discarding an item on the map (Drp).

Also, the reason I didn't change "end" to "wait", or "quit" to "suspend", is because I can only make changes where the new word is of equal or shorter character length to the original word, and guarantee no problems. This is because of the space allowed for each word. To make more space for the word to be longer, I would need to either repoint all of the command names to a different area in the ROM (if it indeed is referenced by pointers), or change the ASM routine (which I don't know how to do). If anyone more experienced like Blazer or ShadowofChaos can figure out how to free up more space for these command names, then we can try to change them to what you want.

Also, I have no idea about the difference in positioning between the two level up screens. As for the words, they can be changed, but as I stated above, I can't change them from 2 character words to 3 character words without freeing up more space.

Some other things. There's a spacing issue for the range for staves and some commands for storage as seen below. Hopefully someone knows how to change the spacing for these things.

cezd.pngcma_lsdkje.png

Changing "Throw away" to "Discard" didn't help.

r3waq.png

Edited by bartre

Some other things. There's a spacing issue for the range for staves and some commands for storage as seen below. Hopefully someone knows how to change the spacing for these things.

cezd.pngcma_lsdkje.png

The J version does not have this problem at all. In fact, the reason this happens is because of the original translation.

Edited by Rokklaggio

Thanks again, bartre!

Are you sure about changing "Release"? I think it's more accurate than drop, and drop is already being used for discarding an item on the map (Drp).

Yes, for consistency with FE7 and FE8. I used "Dis" (discard) instead of "Drp".

Also, the reason I didn't change "end" to "wait", or "quit" to "suspend", is because I can only make changes where the new word is of equal or shorter character length to the original word, and guarantee no problems. This is because of the space allowed for each word. To make more space for the word to be longer, I would need to either repoint all of the command names to a different area in the ROM (if it indeed is referenced by pointers), or change the ASM routine (which I don't know how to do). If anyone more experienced like Blazer or ShadowofChaos can figure out how to free up more space for these command names, then we can try to change them to what you want.

I've seen shadowofchaos do the edit from Quit to Suspnd so I'm 99% sure he knows how. I'll ask in the ROM Hacking section when I finish the endings.

Also, I have no idea about the difference in positioning between the two level up screens. As for the words, they can be changed, but as I stated above, I can't change them from 2 character words to 3 character words without freeing up more space.

The different positioning is fine and I don't consider it a problem. I just want the words to be consistent. I'll ask for help with that along with the other commands and stuff later.

cezd.pngcma_lsdkje.png

Changing "Throw away" to "Discard" didn't help.

r3waq.png

Interesting. Never noticed that. I wonder if writing it like "Disca rd" would look normal?

I really do have to applaud your effort in making this new patch. I've been playing FE6 rather religiously with this new patch and it is a fantastic creation.

Wow, thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I do hope you remembered the Al's Sword. Maybe redo that manga for consistency? a uniqe idea for sure....

Hm? I haven't done anything to the sword in particular.

Also, sorry, but I definitely won't be retranslating the manga. The game is where my efforts are focused.

I found the fix for Elphin's music problem. At offset 4A768 - Change 74BF2D to 76AD04. For some reason, FEditor changed this pointer through its autopatching or whatever.

Now we can hear the beautiful bird's chirp again!

Amazing! Honestly I never expected to have that issue solved. I thought we were just going to have to deal with it. Thank you so much.

I'll include the fix in v0.93 with the tutorial and some other text revisions.

Edited by gringe

Amazing! Honestly I never expected to have that issue solved. I thought we were just going to have to deal with it. Thank you so much.

I'll include the fix in v0.93 with the tutorial and some other text revisions.

Also, double-check Lance and Allen's B-support convo. For some reason the text "Then it might as well be me, who has been in Pherae the shortest..." gets skipped over. There's probably some command in the convo messing it up.