Removing Luck?

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play a FE game with no luck element?

• Absolutely!
    • Absolutely not!
    • I'm in the middle so my vote for this silly little poll doesn't really count.

I'm not an expert on AI stuff, but I see the concept of FE as basically a much more complicated version of chess in which units can wield different kinds of weapons, have different classes and therefore stat caps, have different skills, and in which units do not die in one attack. I don't know how much harder it would be, or how easier it would be for a supercomputer to play FE, but just by going on that intution (seeing FE as a more advanced version of chess) I think it sounds a lot more complex.

You could give FE games the same goal as in chess ones: to protect the King, and give games 20 units each per side. Would decision making still be more complex in chess? I'm not so sure. It seems to me that FE is just chess with more stuff added on. A lot more stuff.

Edited by Chiki

I'm not an expert on AI stuff, but I see the concept of FE as basically a much more complicated version of chess in which units can wield different kinds of weapons, have different classes and therefore stat caps, have different skills, and in which units do not die in one attack. I don't know how much harder it would be, or how easier it would be for a supercomputer to play FE, but just by going on that intution (seeing FE as a more advanced version of chess) I think it sounds a lot more complex.

You could give FE games the same goal as in chess ones: to protect the King, and give games 20 units each per side. Would decision making still be more complex in chess? I'm not so sure. It seems to me that FE is just chess with more stuff added on. A lot more stuff.

There actually is a fanmade multiplayer version of Fire Emblem called FETO.

Yes, but it's questionable whether adding that extra stuff makes decision-making harder or not. And clearly, for a human player, it doesn't. I think it's a lot harder for a human to be good at chess than it is for a human to be good at Fire Emblem.

Wow, the topic turned into this lol. By having stricter restrictions and fewer variables, Chess is generally more difficult to effectively comprehend and achieve in than a Fire Emblem game. Not to mention that in Chess, you have a level playing field where both players start with the exact same thing. Fire Emblem is a game of slapping dumb computer AI in the face

Anouleth, I think the reason it's harder to be good at chess is because it's been played for years and people on average are better at it than FE. I think my position is a reasonable one.

Back on topic. I personally hate the luck parts of the game and would like them removed.

Edited by eCut
Edited out unnecessary response to Dondon.