Thoughts on Lethality?

Volke29

That reminds me, Lethality's even less practical than those (considering that the OHKO moves have 30 accuracy, assuming your level's equal to the opponent's; if your level's lower, it doesn't work).

A little point though, is that OHKOs are HARDBANNED by any competitive Pokemon player.

Why? Broken. Very. Very. Very. Broken. This is despite the fact that they're unreliable, and there's Sturdy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little point though, is that OHKOs are HARDBANNED by any competitive Pokemon player.

Why? Broken. Very. Very. Very. Broken. This is despite the fact that they're unreliable, and there's Sturdy.

more broken than Swift Swim+Drizzle?

Well, that's true.

The big difference though is, in Fire Emblem, you're probably killing in one round anyway. Lethality doesn't add much even when it does activate. In Pokemon, you typically kill in, what, 2-4 attackscitation needed unless you can get a sweeper set up properly, and a lot of teamscitation needed are built purely around trying to do that. Also, I was of the impression that OHKO moves were banned primarily because they were pure randomness which could be attempted just before death, not because they were overpowered in any way.

The big difference though is, in Fire Emblem, you're probably killing in one round anyway. Lethality doesn't add much even when it does activate. In Pokemon, you typically kill in, what, 2-4 attackscitation needed unless you can get a sweeper set up properly, and a lot of teamscitation needed are built purely around trying to do that. Also, I was of the impression that OHKO moves were banned primarily because they were pure randomness which could be attempted just before death, not because they were overpowered in any way.

On top of this, wasn't Sturdy usually passed over before Gen 5, when it was retooled to prevent getting one hit KO'd period, as opposed to simply rendering Sheer Cold, Horn Drill, Fissure and Guillotine useless?

On top of this, wasn't Sturdy usually passed over before Gen 5, when it was retooled to prevent getting one hit KO'd period, as opposed to simply rendering Sheer Cold, Horn Drill, Fissure and Guillotine useless?

yeah, sturdy got much better in gen 5

also explosion got worse

I remember Pokemon Online started gen. 5 with OHKO moves unbanned just as a test for the new gen. Then someone got very high on the ladder with offensive Pokemon that also used those moves to OHKO walls and they were banned.

When it comes to in-game, I'll use Lethality because it's usual better than the random skills I have during my playthrough. I'm using it all over my StreetPass team because the player can use rallies and pair up (and tonics, I suppose) to completely overwhelm you with stats, then use Galeforce with high move to move out of harm's way. The way I see it, lucky Lethality is the best way to force a reset against another capped team.

Lethality doesn't activate often, but it is pretty sweet when it does happen. "Yay, free pass!" If you don't have better choices, you can't really go wrong with Lethality. It pairs pretty nicely with Rightful King and brave weapons, too. Every 4th attack on average is going to insta-kill? Cool!

Lethality is.. okay, i guess.

the trigger rate just sucks.

with Limit Breaker, your skill could potentially be 60, and even with that, the trigger rate for Lethality would only be 15%.

Even if you manage to get Lethality working 25% of the time, it's still a waste of a skill slot. Its only use is on characters with no better options, e.g. Gaius.

Even if you manage to get Lethality working 25% of the time, it's still a waste of a skill slot. Its only use is on characters with no better options, e.g. Gaius.

Eh, reliability for activations is overrated. Unless you're popping RK, nothing outside of Vengeance is reliable.

It's only a waste on a Lead when you're doing Apo, because when it does activate, there is no better activation, plain and simple. Doesn't activate? Oh well, pair up partner wrecks the fool anyways.

Edited by Airship Canon

Eh, reliability for activations is overrated. Unless you're popping RK, nothing outside of Vengeance is reliable.

It's only a waste on a Lead when you're doing Apo, because when it does activate, there is no better activation, plain and simple. Doesn't activate? Oh well, pair up partner wrecks the fool anyways.

And there's the problem with Lethality - too many more reliable methods of disposing of enemies for it to stand out.

And there's the problem with all activation skills and most anything else on a lead - too many more reliable methods of disposing of enemies for it to stand out.

Fixed.

Leads only need: Vantage, Galeforce, Limit Breaker, and a magic option. Anything else is just extra

So filling that extra is best handled with the most powerful stuff.

Lethality has that locked down outside of Apotheosis.

Afterwards there's Aether.

Edited by Airship Canon

Fixed.

Leads only need: Vantage, Galeforce, Limit Breaker, and a magic option. Anything else is just extra

So filling that extra is best handled with the most powerful stuff.

Lethality has that locked down outside of Apotheosis.

Afterwards there's Aether.

Well, I think Lethality gets hit even worse because its activation rate is shitty in the first place - by the time its activation rate stops suckiung, I'm probably at the power level where most enemies aren't much threat any more.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Well, I think Lethality gets hit even worse because its activation rate is shitty in the first place - by the time its activation rate stops suckiung, I'm probably at the power level where most enemies aren't much threat any more.

Thing is though, for what it's worth, when it does activate, Lethality is by far the strongest of all procs: it just outright kills the guy.

Outside Apo, you're not getting a better proc than that.

Thing is though, for what it's worth, when it does activate, Lethality is by far the strongest of all procs: it just outright kills the guy.

Outside Apo, you're not getting a better proc than that.

But I still think being guilty of "Awesome, But Impractical" to a massive degree hurts it - it just sounds like a glorified critical hit at that point.

it just sounds like a glorified critical hit at that point.

I liked Lethality in my first run whenever it activated. Of course, it was always on my second attack that would kill the enemy or combined with a critical so it didn't really matter... lol

But I still think being guilty of "Awesome, But Impractical" to a massive degree hurts it - it just sounds like a glorified critical hit at that point.

Glorified Critical hit it may be, but it's a Crit that isn't countered by luck (Or Shields), and is on a separate roll.

Edited by Airship Canon

Glorified Critical hit it may be, but it's a Crit that isn't countered by luck (Or Shields), and is on a separate roll.

Well, that's something I can give it credit for.