NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

LOL purple pinheads. XD That gives me an idea of a name to call the Ravens too. Purple birdbrains. lol

Also, I was looking at the main season schedule and I was like "hot damn, YES!" when I saw who plays on Thanksgiving! Steelers vs Ravens! WOOT! This is gonna be awesome, right Lord Raven? ^^

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITT anacybele has no clue the concept of a "respect" rivalry which is what, in theory, BAL/PIT should be but she continues to perpetuate how fucking annoying this rivalry can be to deal with. Nor does she know that there are far more interesting teams right now than the Steelers. We're in the AFC North, not the fucking NFC East, there's no reason to continue to bring up this rivalry when I'm personally sick of talking about it. Your players are old as hell so I'm not even sure why you're celebrating, because at the advent of a more consistent Flacco and our shift towards using the Running Game as a means of opening up passing + a considerably younger defense (only starters over 30 are Terrell Suggs and Canty, the former who was said to have gotten more fit since his peak) should roll all over your precious Steelers, and that's not just speaking as a rival fan.

Haloti Ngata. Lardarius Webb. Matt Elam. Terrell Suggs. Elvis Dumervil. Corey Graham. Arthur Brown. Will tear apart the Pittsburgh oline and prevent Roethlisberger from getting anything of worth done. Michael Huff will look like he will play much better than Pollard and Elam will be playing much better than Reed's 2012, the former of which isn't hard to do at all (I'm aware I'm flipping safeties). Dean Pees is a ridiculous coordinator. Once again, you're dealing with a defensive coordinator who has given Tom Brady fits over the past two years and Tom Brady's offensive line is head and shoulders above the Steelers, as are Pats receivers and TEs. You really want to bring up the Charlie Batch game which was during a time when most of our starters were injured and ultimately led up to Cam Cameron getting fired now? Or should I bring up the division sweep we pulled off in 2011 + Tim Tebow winning a playoff game?

And let's not get started on our running game.

Hey, Mega-Packer fan here. Boy am I pissed at Greg Jennings. First he signs with the Vikings, now he's running his mouth about how Aaron Rodgers is a poor leader. O plz Greg Jennings. I cannot wait 'til we spank him and his band of purple pinheads in both games this season.

At least they told him to shut the hell up lol

I'm curious though, you as a Packers fan - which games are you most afraid of in this coming regular season? How do you feel the offseason addressed your holes on the team (those "holes" being everything save QB and WRs)

Edited by Lord Raven

At least they told him to shut the hell up lol

I'm curious though, you as a Packers fan - which games are you most afraid of in this coming regular season? How do you feel the offseason addressed your holes on the team (those "holes" being everything save QB and WRs)

I'm not really afraid of any of their matchups, but the ones that I think will be most challenging are @ SF, @ NYG, and the 2 Lions matchups (they keep getting better every season so I think it'll be close between GB and DET for top of the NFC North). Now, offseason. As far as the draft went, I couldn't ask for better picks, with #1 being a DE (Datone Jones, UCLA) and #2 a RB (Eddie Lacy, Bama). I don't think Charles Woodson's absence will be a concern due to MD Jennings and Jeron McMillan really flashing some serious talent last season (Jennings is an INT machine, even if they sometime's look like touchdown receptions to certain replacement officials). The Offensive coaching staff had a stroke of genius and decided to revamp our O-line so that each player is in their natural habitat so that left-side oriented lineman are on their comfortable side. The greatest benefit is that the better linemen, coincidentally are on Rodgers' blind side. As for our running game, it's looking pretty solid. Based on LaJuan Harris' breakout in the last few games last season, he looks like he'll continue to bring a consistently above average run game to our offense (unless he ends up being like James Starks was when they won the Super Bowl, where he emerged late in the season and dominated until the end, and now he is just so-so). So, all in all, I'm pretty confident about this Packers team. Oh yeah, I should also mention that we really don't need Greg Jennings. Nelson, Jones, and Cobb are just as good if not better.

ITT anacybele has no clue the concept of a "respect" rivalry which is what, in theory, BAL/PIT should be but she continues to perpetuate how fucking annoying this rivalry can be to deal with. Nor does she know that there are far more interesting teams right now than the Steelers. We're in the AFC North, not the fucking NFC East, there's no reason to continue to bring up this rivalry when I'm personally sick of talking about it. Your players are old as hell so I'm not even sure why you're celebrating, because at the advent of a more consistent Flacco and our shift towards using the Running Game as a means of opening up passing + a considerably younger defense (only starters over 30 are Terrell Suggs and Canty, the former who was said to have gotten more fit since his peak) should roll all over your precious Steelers, and that's not just speaking as a rival fan.

Well, excuse me for trying to be friendly. For your information, the Steelers basically have a brand new team now. They cut a lot of veterans for some fresh faces. So they can't be called old anymore. It was really mostly the defense that was getting old anyway.

I'm not really afraid of any of their matchups, but the ones that I think will be most challenging are @ SF, @ NYG, and the 2 Lions matchups (they keep getting better every season so I think it'll be close between GB and DET for top of the NFC North). Now, offseason. As far as the draft went, I couldn't ask for better picks, with #1 being a DE (Datone Jones, UCLA) and #2 a RB (Eddie Lacy, Bama). I don't think Charles Woodson's absence will be a concern due to MD Jennings and Jeron McMillan really flashing some serious talent last season (Jennings is an INT machine, even if they sometime's look like touchdown receptions to certain replacement officials). The Offensive coaching staff had a stroke of genius and decided to revamp our O-line so that each player is in their natural habitat so that left-side oriented lineman are on their comfortable side. The greatest benefit is that the better linemen, coincidentally are on Rodgers' blind side. As for our running game, it's looking pretty solid. Based on LaJuan Harris' breakout in the last few games last season, he looks like he'll continue to bring a consistently above average run game to our offense (unless he ends up being like James Starks was when they won the Super Bowl, where he emerged late in the season and dominated until the end, and now he is just so-so). So, all in all, I'm pretty confident about this Packers team. Oh yeah, I should also mention that we really don't need Greg Jennings. Nelson, Jones, and Cobb are just as good if not better.

As a fellow Packers fan, I'll add my two cents.

Niners and Lions (if anyone not named Calvin Johnson or Matt Stafford decide to be good football players on that offense). I'd say the 'Skins too, but I feel like we can out gun-sling them if it comes to that.

As for improving the team, the D-Line sounds like it might be able to get some push this year, which will help greatly. Most notably, it should help contain running QBs. Might cover up for the fact that AJ Hawk is only a mediocre middle linebacker, at best. Tramon Williams is, unfortunately, still the top CB on the team. He can't cover #1 WRs, but McCarthy and Capers won't admit that. If he's got safety help it should be fine, but then a safety is tied up helping him. :/:

The offense is fine. Hopefully the O-Line has some improvements and McCarthy learns to get plays in in a timely fashion. Can't tell you how annoying it is to watch McCarthy use a timeout because he can't get a play in quick enough.

As a fellow Packers fan, I'll add my two cents.

Niners and Lions (if anyone not named Calvin Johnson or Matt Stafford decide to be good football players on that offense). I'd say the 'Skins too, but I feel like we can out gun-sling them if it comes to that.

I think they might run into some trouble with the browns secondary being relatively good. Also if the o-line isn't radically better the ravens will definitely get Rodgers out of his comfort zone.

As for improving the team, the D-Line sounds like it might be able to get some push this year, which will help greatly. Most notably, it should help contain running QBs. Might cover up for the fact that AJ Hawk is only a mediocre middle linebacker, at best. Tramon Williams is, unfortunately, still the top CB on the team. He can't cover #1 WRs, but McCarthy and Capers won't admit that. If he's got safety help it should be fine, but then a safety is tied up helping him. :/:

The offense is fine. Hopefully the O-Line has some improvements and McCarthy learns to get plays in in a timely fashion. Can't tell you how annoying it is to watch McCarthy use a timeout because he can't get a play in quick enough.

The secondary wasnt as bad as you make it seem with a solid pass rush and a few second tier corner backs they were 11th in pass defense, not bad. The major issue comes with the middle backer as you said for a team that has some solid d-linemen 17th in run defense not good. But I think a lot of stress will be taken off Rodgers shoulders with the tandem of Franklin and Lacey, which would lead to a more controlled game making it easier on a defense.

I think they might run into some trouble with the browns secondary being relatively good. Also if the o-line isn't radically better the ravens will definitely get Rodgers out of his comfort zone.

aaron rodgers has no comfort "zone"

But if your o-line doesn't work out then our pass rush will be powerful, and our secondary is much much better than last year.

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, Rodgers never folds under pressure. The only times he runs into problems regarding the O-line is when they fail so hard that the blitzers get in so fast it becomes humanly impossible for any quarterback to be productive. Regarding the Pack running into a secondary that could potentially shut down Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Finely, Kuhn, and Starks (a nigh on impossible task in itself), I believe the running game will truly shine this year, because Eddie Lacy has absolutely been stunning so far in practices, and I believe he will get the starting job right away as a rookie. He really brings a great contrast to the gunslinging arm of Rodgers with his Alabama-style pound the running game type of play.

As for defense, people sorely underestimate Hawk. Sure, he's not the game-changer that a 5th overall pick is expected to be, but everyone overlooks his durability. In all but one year of his career, he's been first or second on the team in tackles, and he's only missed 2 out of 120 possible career games. That's a great asset to have on a team that most often gets decimated by injuries year after year. On another note, Desmond Bishop will be sorely missed, but I think Jones is a very adequate replacement, being very impressive as of late, and his special teams performance is literally the best in the league. Another positive is that he is now the play caller, so maybe Hawk can focus a little better.

Edited by Mr. Haar

Lions (if anyone not named Calvin Johnson or Matt Stafford decide to be good football players on that offense)
They're all recovering from injuries or more or less already recovered... and no Titus Young to fuck up their offense

and no Titus Young to fuck up their offense

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Yep, they will be significantly tougher to beat twice this season thanks to his absence.

Bad news: Ed Dickson goes down with hamstring injury, we still can't really replace Boldin, and Pitta................ Flacco is saying our defense is looking pretty darn good, and that could mean that our secondary is revitalized or Flacco just can't make things happen with 6 strings of butterfingers.

Even worse news, this exists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5zytfm9No

That Manning Bros music video is the greatest thing to ever exist. "Who cares? he's dead!" HAHAHA.

Kevin Kolb slipped on a mat and is out for a week or more! LOL. That makes me so happy. Plus EJ Manuel is looking like he may have some potential.

Oh and apparently the Bills have like 4 players on offense who run 40 yard dashes in the 4.2's or lower. That's really cool. Especially since Manuel actually knows how to throw a deep ball.

And now that Dave Wanstad and his retarded defense are gone and Mario Williams is healthy, our defense looks like it might be in the top half of the league as opposed to dead last or whatever they finished at. It was definitely bottom 5.

Kevin Kolb slipped on a mat and is out for a week or more! LOL. That makes me so happy. Plus EJ Manuel is looking like he may have some potential.

The sad part is that nobody was surprised when it happened. The other sad part is that he was the only QB that the Cardinals could win under in 2012; after Kolb went down, the Cards QBs scored all of 3 passing TDs in around 10-11 weeks. Given the praise you've been giving your defense and run game, Kolb would actually have a fair amount of success on the field and EJ Manuel will have time to acclimate to the NFL. Remember, Rodgers didn't start a game until 2008 despite being drafted in 2005; on the other hand, Alex Smith and Blaine Gabbert were destroyed in a poorly run offense (which the Bills may or may not have in 2013) and both could've been much better had their coaching staff been more sane throughout their developmental years.

Now, Alex Smith is someone who's in some awkward limbo between solid starter and great backup, whereas Blaine Gabbert is 23 and shit on by the whole league because they were covered in gasoline when thrown to the fire. Gabbert will be lucky if he gets a shot because Jags fans have seen small signs of improvement over the years (derailed by injury and this Chad Henne hype when Gabbert outplayed Henne in his first 6-7 games compared to Henne's last 9-10).

All hail the Based god Carson Palmer

Oh and apparently the Bills have like 4 players on offense who run 40 yard dashes in the 4.2's or lower. That's really cool. Especially since Manuel actually knows how to throw a deep ball.

40 yard dashes don't mean anything and nothing's stopping a corner or safety from playing zone defense deep and shutting down those WRs if that becomes an issue. Deep ball is hardly as simple as "dude runs fast, person throws ball deep." It worked for the Ravens a few times in the Broncos game because of the element of surprised attached and, surprise! Torrey Smith doesn't run anywhere close to a 4.2 40. That also doesn't necessarily mean a good WR because the routes they run won't be in a straight line sprint, and who's to say they'll hold onto the ball when they catch it? Some WRs are absolutely shit at that (read: most 5th or 6th string WRs and beyond).

Edited by Lord Raven

So, the Packers picked up Vince Young. I actually never saw that coming. I hope he can actually be of some use to them, even if it means he is just a reliable backup. I just can't wait to see him in action Friday night.

The manning brothers music video is so weird. I love Archie though.

But onto the bills they may or may not be good. The defense is between good and okay. The run game is great with spiller and Jackson. The receiving core is mediocre. But I do like the potential that EJ Manuel has. No matter what anybody says the bills made the right decision taking him over geno smith. He may have a rough year but the bills are against one of the worst secondaries in the country twice this year so that should give him some confidence.

Lord Raven you dont understand.

I've had to watch Ryan Fitzpatrick play QB for the last 5.5 seasons. The guy literally didn't know how to throw a football properly. He was completely, 100% incapable of throwing a deep ball. So bad that the Bills have averaged less than 15 deep balls thrown IN AN ENTIRE SEASON over the last 5 years. # of times in the last 5 years where a receiver caught a deep ball in stride and continued into the endzone over the last 5 years? 1 time. Terrel Owens (LOL) 98 yard TD.
Before someone trys to defend Fitz and say he's not that bad. Shut up. You are wrong.
As far as QBs watching before they start. P Manning, Bledsoe, Vick, McNabb, Big Ben, Cutler, Dalton, Matt Ryan, FLACCO, the 3 play off rookies from last year say hi. Alex Smith's problem was 5 O coordinators in 5 years, not starting right away. The fastest way to learn the NFL as a QB in to actually see it first hand on the field. Not from the sideline with a clipboard in your hand. A player either has it or doesn't have it.

Brady sat for a year. He's the third greatest quarterback of all time. Vick had four good years IMO not great.

On the topic of Alex smith I think he had a lot of potential but no stability kills a quarterback. Just look at Sam Bradford.

Lord Raven you dont understand.

I've had to watch Ryan Fitzpatrick play QB for the last 5.5 seasons. The guy literally didn't know how to throw a football properly. He was completely, 100% incapable of throwing a deep ball. So bad that the Bills have averaged less than 15 deep balls thrown IN AN ENTIRE SEASON over the last 5 years. # of times in the last 5 years where a receiver caught a deep ball in stride and continued into the endzone over the last 5 years? 1 time. Terrel Owens (LOL) 98 yard TD.
Before someone trys to defend Fitz and say he's not that bad. Shut up. You are wrong.

As far as QBs watching before they start. P Manning, Bledsoe, Vick, McNabb, Big Ben, Cutler, Dalton, Matt Ryan, FLACCO, the 3 play off rookies from last year say hi. Alex Smith's problem was 5 O coordinators in 5 years, not starting right away. The fastest way to learn the NFL as a QB in to actually see it first hand on the field. Not from the sideline with a clipboard in your hand. A player either has it or doesn't have it.

What does this have to do with Kolb? Putting in a rookie the moment they enter the NFL is still not ideal. Players like the ones you listed are the exceptions rather than the rule lol If you're gonna hype your D and run game then all you need is a game manager, which Kolb is very good at.

You know that Flacco wasn't even supposed to start in 2008? Same with some other QBs. If you want to ask "Why?", it's because we actually did have a 3-way QB controversy back then that wasn't publicized simply because the Ravens went 5-11 in 2007 and Baltimore media is far more reserved than most other media. Flacco was also told to do exactly what Kolb can do; manage games and win. He wasn't a consistent playmaker in the slightest.

Alex Smith's problem was starting right way and then being put in various systems that didn't fit him. You know that Aaron Rodgers went to the same school as two brilliant QBs we all know and love (both associated with the Ravens): Trent Dilfer and Kyle Boller. I firmly believe that if he started straight out of college then he would fail pretty miserably.

Wilson was an exception to what I'm talking about because he fought his way into the starter position. RG3/Luck/Ryan/Bledsoe/Peyton Manning/Ben Roethlisberger/Dalton/Cutler/Ponder/etc were put in out of necessity rather than need and played to the level they were expected. EJ Manuel is doing the same thing. It doesn't necessarily mean he will do well or poor, it's just better for his development to some extent if he's not put in immediately. Romo didn't start immediately, nor did Stafford or Eli.

Notice how, out of all starting QBs in the past decade and a half, these are literally around 10-15 examples of people who had success starting immediately. That is a very small fraction of QBs ever, and there are plenty of first round QBs placed immediately into their first game that wilted under pressure, developed some shellshock, or just could not get used to the NFL because they were immediately thrown into the fire. A few examples that immediately spring to mind to prove my point are Kyle Boller, David Carr, Ryan Leaf* (sorta, he had other issues), Jamarcus Russell, Brandon Weeden (who is improving though) and Mark Sanchez. Another example of someone who sat first and played great later: Phillip Rivers.

At any rate, I would advise you to never talk about QBs, QB controversies, or shitty QBs you have to sit through to a Ravens fan lol

Edited by Lord Raven

Somehow you think the Ravens QB situation over the last 15 years has been worse than the Bills?? You're silly. Take your 2 Superbowls and your stud franchise QB and try to sell that bull to someone else. I will never agree with that.

Here is a depressing stat that I heard today. # of passes attempted last season by Ryan Fitzpatrick where the football traveled 40+ yards downfield? Just 4 times...
Fitzpatrick was the ultimate "game manager". Im sick of watching that. I dont want to see Kevin fucking Kolb do it now. He has no potential or future. Manuel is the unknown here. I want to see what he can and cannot do. And like I said, a QB either has it or doesn't have it. QBs like Carr, Boller, Leaf, and Jamarcus Russel were not successful because they just weren't good enough or motivated enough. Whether they start, or sit and watch. It doesn't matter. For every QB who sat and watched and turned out to be good, there are much more that turn out to be bad. And the same is true for QBs who start right away.

Somehow you think the Ravens QB situation over the last 15 years has been worse than the Bills?? You're silly. Take your 2 Superbowls and your stud franchise QB and try to sell that bull to someone else. I will never agree with that.

Here is a depressing stat that I heard today. # of passes attempted last season by Ryan Fitzpatrick where the football traveled 40+ yards downfield? Just 4 times...
Fitzpatrick was the ultimate "game manager". Im sick of watching that. I dont want to see Kevin fucking Kolb do it now. He has no potential or future. Manuel is the unknown here. I want to see what he can and cannot do. And like I said, a QB either has it or doesn't have it. QBs like Carr, Boller, Leaf, and Jamarcus Russel were not successful because they just weren't good enough or motivated enough. Whether they start, or sit and watch. It doesn't matter. For every QB who sat and watched and turned out to be good, there are much more that turn out to be bad. And the same is true for QBs who start right away.

I'll disagree with this. Just because some guys can come out of college and do well doesn't mean they "have it" while other guys don't. The NFL is an entirely different ball game from college. It's the best of the best out there and nobody else. Some guys can come out of college and adapt to the game, but sitting on the bench and learning generally what it means to play in the NFL in practice and exhibition games will help anyone adapt to the league. Some guys might get to the point they're NFL ready quickly, others might take a couple of years - it's up to the team figure out what they need and who they think is the best shot at getting that.

But you know what the biggest reason you don't want you're newly drafted QB you think will be the future playing is? Injury. If you can afford to get him acclimated to the NFL without serious risk of injury, you're golden.

16 starters in 17 years is an average of barely less than one starter per year. Besides, the statistic is that until 2008 when we got Joe Flacco we had 15 QBs in 12 years. Those include Elvis Grbac, Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks, Vinny Testaverde, Jim Harbaugh, Kyle Boller, Troy Smith, Steve McNair and I think that covers around 60% of our QBs. So many project QBs tossed away because we kept losing games under them, and even during our Super Bowl 35 season we had two QBs at the helm. The only reason a game manager worked for us is because we had Shannon Sharpe, Jamal Lewis, Jermaine Lewis on return duties, and Jonathan Ogden as well as that defense. Dilfer was nothing but a game manager (and generally he was actually an incredibly poor QB/game manager and there was literally a five game stretch that season where we didn't score a single offensive touchdown - thankfully our defense won like three of those games), and I've never seen a man overthrow a wide open receiver by 20 yards deep down close to the endzone in a Super Bowl. Between 1996 and 2007 we had exactly 4 playoff berths, 3 were one-and-dones and one was the Super Bowl season. In that 12 year stretch of history the only talented QB we had was Steve McNair and guess what? He was with us for a year, was injured most of the next, then retired. No consistent starter at all until Joe Flacco. So yes, you really don't have much of a right to complain because we had stability at coordinator (Brian Billick generally) yet absolutely none at QB... and this was meant to be a game manager against a defense as amazing as ours. They couldn't even do that.

(Joe Flacco btw was never meant to start in 2008 because he was competing with Kyle Boller and Troy Smith as starter; one was injured and one got sick so Flacco was called to start immediately and he's gotten nothing but shit for 5 years even after winning a Super Bowl so don't tell me to cram it)

Carr and Boller weren't motivated enough? Get out of here. Boller played his heart out every game but a) Brian Billick was his OC AND HC and Billick is awful and b) his third best receiver was fuckin Mark Clayton. And Mark Clayton was injured most of the time. Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, and Jamal Lewis can't be your only weapons on offense (especially considering Jamal Lewis went to the Browns during the Boller/McNair days). Boller started immediately and according to many people never snapped out of his rattled state in the pocket (but still worked hard and never blamed anyone for anything), and who knows whether or not sitting a season would've helped him? Carr had an offensive line that may as well have been an accessory to assault because he was never given any semblance of a pocket his years in Houston. And once again, he started immediately and wasn't used to lack of an o-line nor were they good enough to work past it like people like Rodgers or Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck is a freak of nature for being able to deal with what he had (also he played in a pro-style offense at Stanford); Carr is considerably more normal and struggled. Alex Smith himself only turned out to be somewhere between a game manager and a good QB when he finally hit his peak lately. He throws downfield about as often as Fitzpatrick, but he has a team behind him; Alex Smith also started immediately and you don't know how much better he could've been had he not. Let's often not forget that there are many QBs that were drafted and told to start immediately but never panned out because they don't have time to absorb an NFL playbook that is most likely leagues more complicated than their college one.

Which QBs sat and turned out bad, exactly? (I'm not doubting there are none) Often times they sat out as a backup and was used as a trade to someone else, who will then be a glorified backup or game manager over there. Some QBs are just recruited as trade bait and not to train or develop.

That's the problem with most fans. They expected their drafted QB to be a Top 15 QB (Top 15 is a good thing once again, because there are basically 17 franchise QBs in the league and the first four are the "Elite Four") coming straight out of college but if they don't fan out they're immediately a bust or they're immediately terrible. And the problem with fans of other teams is that they get disappointed at the QB when they can't win (since the QB is the whole team duh) and they also expect their QB to be fucking Tom Brady or Peyton Manning who just don't lose.

Edited by Lord Raven