NFL 2013-2014 Season!

Anacybele

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Evans because hopefully we can run a 3 WR/1 TE/1 RB set effectively this year. Torrey Smith/Mike Evans/Marlon Brown/Ray Rice or Bernard Pierce/Dennis Pitta will be solid, definitely top 50% which is all Flacco needs (on top of an oline). If we can't hold onto Pitta then I'm hoping for a second or third rounder on Tight End. To be honest Ozzie needs to deliver on offense (and maybe get a Free Safety, which this draft seems to be thin on).

As for the Incognito/Pouncey/Martin, in my head I wondered all season if the Dolphins oline troubles were a result of this mess. It makes sense why they were willing to so readily take Bryant McKinnie, though... On that note, this will lead to reform in locker room conduct it seems

Edited by Lord Raven

As much as I think Evans would fit in with the ravens offense(and the chargers offense) I can't see him getting past the lions unless Watkins falls to the lions(which is not likely). What is more likely is the ravens getting Calvin Pryor at the FS position or Marquis Lee. Both projected Mid-Late first round picks and would fit into the Ravens needs.

I'd be surprised if we went Free Safety right off the bat, because we have pretty good corners that don't necessarily need that much free safety. They were effective last year when we had a rookie SS playing FS, for reference.

We still need a wide receiver, much more likely a possession guy. I think the Lions would go for someone like Decker in free agency (well if the Broncos don't, which I think would be dumb on their part because Eric Decker isn't that great) and not having to worry about Evans, but I also really want Evans or someone big and possession-like and am trying to convince myself we'll get him :( I think the draft is deep at WR anyway...

It doesn't help that like all of our offense is going to free agency this offseason. Jones, Pitta, Monroe, Oher, and Dickson, with Clark not counting because he's done and Stokley retiring after a 15 season career. I only see us signing Monroe and Pitta out of these guys, maybe Jones if he decides to play for cheap as a specialized PR/KR (he's not that great at WR which most teams will take note of). Oher kinda sucks and Dickson's contract year didn't bode well for him.

So with Oher leaving could the Ravens be looking for an offense tackle. Of course they could also just trade up to the sixth pick and make sure they get Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. Like the Falcons did for Julio Jones.

Well we're looking for Tackles and a Center. Our Guards are amazing (Yanda and Osemele) but our Center was putrid after Matt Birk retired, we traded McKinnie and got a beast out of Monroe (who was great but I don't know if we can afford him), and Oher has generally sucked this year (and he's regressed every year since his rookie season). Furthermore, AQ Shipley was a terrible Left Guard when Osemele was put on IR due to a much-needed back surgery.

Ozzie did a great job forecasting the fact that 2012 was everyone's last ride, and that we need somewhat of a full-on rebuild. As it stands, we need a FS, either a possession receiver or a true #1 receiver, and an RT and C. We've got a lot of depth in our front 7 (although a healthier nose tackle would be lovely).

Edited by Lord Raven

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Browns have done it. They've officially done something so stupid, even I'm surprised. Remember how I said I was going to give the new regime an entire year before passing judgment? Not when they fuck up this badly. Not even Holmgren and Heckert were this stupid.

For those who don't know, the Browns cut D'Qwell Jackson, destroying a key part of our defense.

Although Jackson was the undisputed leader of the team, the move is not surprising because he would have carried a $9.43 million salary-cap figure next season, which included a $4 million roster bonus due March 16 and a $100,000 workout bonus.

Sounds like it was a cap casualty. That's not a stupid move for a 30 year old linebacker.

Isn't TJ Ward set to be a free agent? They need the money to keep him he is definitely one of the best safeties in the league. Also D'qwell Jackson has been good for awhile but above average LBs are relatively easy to find either through the draft of other FAs.

Yeah I loved that shit cause it ultimately knocked them out of the playoffs

The Chargers' win against the Chiefs was what knocked them out, not that game. :/

Ok that wasn't my point, I was saying the play was funny as shit in retrospect cause if he had one more step in bounds the steelers would probably be in the playoffs

• 2 weeks later...

So the browns don't resign TJ Ward and sign Donte Whitner who is older and basically the same type of player and for more money than Ward got. I don't really get it, but the Bears got Lamarr Houston which was a good pickup. Free agency is always exciting!

The Browns also just signed Karlos Dansby, who ranked higher than most corners in passes defensed as an linebacker I believe. This means he is being targeted more thanks to Tyrann Mathieu and Patrick Peterson covering the WRs leaving him to cover the Tight Ends... but he still says "nope!" Whitner is also pretty good and did a damn good job with stopping the run last year. The Browns need a free safety though...

We signed Monroe to 5 years/37.5 million, and Pitta to 5 years/32.5 million. They backloaded the contracts but not to the ridiculous extent they backloaded Flacco's. The salary cap is also rising quickly so it's not as big a deal as it used to be. This could leave us with money to go after Alex Mack - if we can get Alex Mack AND Monroe in FA, then sign Oher to a cheap contract (cause he's not that good) then get a WR like Edelman, Steve Smith, Eric Decker (not likely) and a TE like Owen Daniels we could be primed for a run next year. Though, we just lost Art Jones to free agency; I don't think our DL depth is the best, especially since 3-4 DEs are very important to our system, but we'll see. Ozzie's good at picking defense. We also have 15 million left in cap space!

If Mack gets a good contract that means we'll have an OL of:

LT - Monroe

LG - Osemele

C - Mack

RG - Yanda

RT - Oher

Remember when I hyped the fuck out of our offensive line in the playoffs? This offensive line is much, much better in theory. Mack and Monroe are basically younger, more athletic, and harder working versions of McKinnie and Birk (Mack may be just as hard working as Birk, but probably bigger - Birk wasn't that big). Smith could fill the void that Mason and/or Boldin left.

pls Ozzie pls

Edited by Lord Raven

^ YES! Stevie always has big games against Revis!

I am so disappointed that Byrd left. I have very little faith now that the Bills will ever be good again. Byrd joins a long list be Defensive Backs that the Bills have drafted, developed, and then let leave for nothing in return...

Alright so here's our free agency so far

Eugene Monroe - 37.5 million/5 years, 19 million guaranteed

Dennis Pitta - 32.5 million/5 years, 16 million guaranteed

Jacoby Jones - 12 million/4 years, 4.5 million guaranteed

Daryl Smith - 16.1 million/4 years, dunno the guaranteed

Steve Smith - 10.5 million/3 years, dunno the guaranteed

Yeah right, Flacco's eating all dat cap space. Hold my nuts, haters.

So Ike Taylor is going to stick around too! He said he wants to retire with the guys he came in with (which includes Polamalu, who as I said before is staying). He considers his team a family! Isn't he nice. ^^

The Steelers also signed a guy who was a Panther. Heh, I can go with that, lol. It's a guy that went from one of my favorite teams to another one of my favorite teams. :D

They also signed a new safety who sounds promising. I dunno if it's the same guy that came from the Panthers though. It didn't say.

Edited by Anacybele

I believe the steelers signed safety Mike Mitchell, who played for the panthers last season. He was pretty good and a hard hitter. It was a solid pick up but I wouldn't expect him to be a pro bowler or anything. I just wish he was good for the team that drafted him in the 2nd round. poor raiders :(

Side note, I always root for the Raiders because they are a big reason I got into football, rich gannon, jerry rice, tim brown, those were the days. If I knew they would suck it up for 10+ years I wouldn't have gotten so into them..... At least my home state bears are usually decent.