Do you want to see more avatar characters in future Fire Emblem games?

IceBrand

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Doesn't matter.

Yeah, I wanted the My Unit system in FE 10 when I heard of it in FE12.

As the main lord. Fo' sho.

This and reclassing can go away. I'm also iffy on FE13's skill formula since they're based by classes rather than set by characters. Maybe do it like TRS where skills are given at random levels, just as long as everyone can get a healthy amount of skills.

Pair up was interesting enough though.

As far as I know, there are at least four ways to have an AFGNCAAP character in games where the player character is one, and other things:

1. Have the antagonist drive the game's plot. Baldur's Gate 2 works this way - Jon Irenicus is driving your decisions, you try to keep up.

2. Have the player's allies and party members provide a chunk of the character interaction and story direction with the player character providing a management role, be a "behind the scenes" authority, or be some kind of "unknown hero". I'm sure Mark from Blazing Sword and Kris from New Mystery of the Emblem were supposed to be this.

3. Have a AFGNCAAP where the character seems to be that ambiguous, but is actually a character with a past, ties to other characters, etc. Planescape: Torment does this.

4. Be a game like Elder Scrolls, etc.

If not, then you have a more defined character. As seen in games like Final Fantasy.

At least one of the problems with Awakening's Avatar was that somebody at IS wasn't sure what he/she wanted the Avatar to be. Is he/she a behind the scenes character? Well that stops after Gangrel is beaten. Is the Avatar the 3rd? Well the Avatar wasn't that good at being that either.

Edited by The Void

I'm probably being a broken record, but having a protagonist that the player helps to design and "write" can be great for a game. The way the series has executed them, though, has been at best lacking in many ways, and at worst the position the Avatar character has filled might as well have just been that of any old protagonist character, it just happens that we've been told they're supposed to be us.

I'd like to see more only because they'll never learn if they put in some effort, and I think that would be a shame. There's room for a character that is role-played within the context of what we know as a Fire Emblem game, and one who offers the player with a richer experience for their inclusion, they just haven't gotten it all there yet.

Which isn't to say I think it should be a series staple forever, yadda yadda, I'd just enjoy seeing them try again at some point.

Yes FE x Planescape I can deal with this idea yes

Edited by Rehab

I'm probably being a broken record, but having a protagonist that the player helps to design and "write" can be great for a game. The way the series has executed them, though, has been at best lacking in many ways, and at worst the position the Avatar character has filled might as well have just been that of any old protagonist character, it just happens that we've been told they're supposed to be us.

I'd like to see more only because they'll never learn if they put in some effort, and I think that would be a shame. There's room for a character that is role-played within the context of what we know as a Fire Emblem game, and one who offers the player with a richer experience for their inclusion, they just haven't gotten it all there yet.

Which isn't to say I think it should be a series staple forever, yadda yadda, I'd just enjoy seeing them try again at some point.

Yes FE x Planescape I can deal with this idea yes

Well, at least one of problems with with how the Avatar characters have been handled is that several of FE's Lord's already serve as a surrogate for the player (see Lyn saying "What?"). Since FE isn't really a series that is known for choices leading to different enough branches through the game, we keep getting Avatar characters who are either Mark or another FE Lord with customizable looks.

Edited by The Void

I like having a customisable avatar for the player, but would prefer if they were otherwise much more 'normal' in the game. Customisation typically leads to a high power level, but FE13 just threw basically all the advantages onto the Avatar it could think of - good bases for a mage (and the only 1-2 range early), best skill in the game, full class access, great cap modifiers, full support log. I'd say that sure let the player make a number of choices (have a 'detailed' and a 'basic' version of what they want) which makes their avatar be essentially a normal character in the game, not vital to the plot to avoid shoehorning an extreme personality, a normal set of class choices/supports and average to mediocre bases/growths by default (because with customisation, you can easily make something better than average from that, usually).

But if they just do FE13 again, I'd rather they didn't.

Absolutely not. I didn't even want it to be in FE13, I think it should have been a gimmick, making FE12 a unique game, and it shouldn't become a staple feature of the FE series.

fe14 should be nothing BUT avatars beating the shit out of another faction of avatars

i confess in practice i don't particularly care either way. if they do it again, fine whatever. if they scrap the concept, fine whatever

Since IS doesn't know how to create a player avatar that doesn't overshadow every other character story-wise and/or gameplay-wise, no.

Do they not know how, or is that just not their goal?

I bet if this mechanic had been a staple of the series and people were asked if they wanted it kept, everyone would say yes. Personally, I do like it because I like having a customizable character in general. I'm sure it can be implemented better, but I've enjoyed having them in 12 and 13.

Seconded with this.

Several of FE's Lord characters already serve as a player surrogate.

Either make the Avatar THE Lord, or scrap it.

that

God no.

agreed

Several of FE's Lord characters already serve as a player surrogate.

Either make the Avatar THE Lord, or scrap it.

Do not make one-line posts, unless it adds something new or interesting to a discussion. In other words, do not spam.

Likewise, do not just quote another member and simply write "I agree", "quoted for truth", "no", etc. In these cases, make sure to at least explain why you agree or disagree.

Enough, people. Put some content in your posts or don't post at all.