he did it

Blue Knight

Meh... not that impressive. America is winning in number of medals, but China has the most Gold medal. Personally, I prefer the latter.

actually, it IS quite impressive that a single man got so many medals.

but it's sad that the US had to rely on one man to get them all.....

Are you talking about Olympics? I find it boring IMO.

OIY! Olympics is cool, yo. Like male gymnastics. Do you see those guys!? They can do some pretty cool stuff.

actually, it IS quite impressive that a single man got so many medals.

but it's sad that the US had to rely on one man to get them all.....

Tru dat. But I don't care much for an individual's success, especially one who swims.

Girls gymnastics are laaame. they don't even have boobs! D:

Also, they doo all this prancing, which me no like. Real men just flip around and do risky-neck-snapping-dangerous-stuff.

Girls gymnastics are laaame. they don't even have boobs! D:Also, they doo all this prancing, which me no like. Real men just flip around and do risky-neck-snapping-dangerous-stuff.

you aren't gonna get any girl in rl thinking that way, unless they are whores

you aren't gonna get any girl in rl thinking that way, unless they are whores

Dude, I don't actually care about that for a GF. Jeez. GFs are mostly about personality, not just looks. Those are just a bonus. I'm pretty deep, despite what all guys think of me.

Besides, friends with boobs = hugs = win

Edited by Faiya

Are all of MaSu's friends perverted?

Most guys are. MOST, not all( so we don't start another arguement). I'm kinda perverted, yes. But I don't really like that part of me :(. I'm really good around girls though. Most of them think I'm insanely innocent, but I don't have the heart to tell them otherwise D:

Michael Phelps performed extraordinarily well, but that's fairly obvious without someone stating it.

Meh... not that impressive.
I hope you don't mind me using your quote as an example like this, but it stirred an interesting thought. I hope I do not come across as critical because that is most definitely not my intention. I'm putting forth an observation more than I am a particular discussion point (although what I have to suggest will most surely be debatable).

The Olympics remind me of an art museum. At an art museum one has immediate access to thousands of paintings, each worth thousands or millions of dollars on their own, and they are all lined up next to each other in a series of rooms. One interested in a particular piece's history may be fascinated by that work, but, as a whole, the majority of the experience is spent strolling through each room and taking glances at each painting or piece (is there a better generic word for any random form of art?) to see which ones are the most likable. The value of each piece is significantly diminished in the eyes of a museum wanderer because they are all grouped together like any other collection; people pick and choose a few favorites, maybe try to figure out why the most famous paintings are as famous as they are, or wander aimless and bored.

Athletes who participate in the Olympics are the fastest, strongest, most skillful, and most motivated individuals from a country to dedicate themselves to a sport. Being confronted with thousands of such athletes, one naturally gravitates towards those from their own country, those with an arduous history, those who appear that they may prove themselves the best in the world, or those with some other particularly unique quality (assuming, of course, the spectator is interested in the event). I doubt many people will have taken much notice of Liz Yelling or Robert Cheruiyot (two marathon runners (England and Kenya respectively)) because they are not the best in the world, but they are still in an elite top tier and they have the same borderline asinine dedication as any other Olympic hopeful. Athletes like Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt stand out only because they have proven themselves the absolute best of the best, and that may not last into the next Olympics.

Seeing Michael Phelps win consecutive gold medals on the television, alongside a multitude of similarly motivated and superbly trained athletes, has a notably reduced impact. He will be talked about whenever Olympic gold medal wins are discussed, but he will otherwise drift from public consciousness. It's easy to see an athlete win a race by hundredths of a second, note that the arbitrary time in which the feat was accomplished is alleged to be amazing, and then go on with life regardless. It's difficult to appreciate that these athletes are the absolute best in the world, whether they win eight gold medals or they win nothing, and to feel any reason to pay attention to them at any time other than the Olympics (and understandably so; as an example I doubt many other people here could discuss the merits of the most accomplished StarCraft players in South Korea because I don't many other people would care at all).

Like an art museum, the Olympics allows the best of the best to completely overshadow each other (excepting, to a degree, the Olympic's few identifiable faces like Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt who still won't necessarily make a long lasting impression). It doesn't look particularly impressive to see a man swim multiple laps at an accelerate pace, but these Olympic athletes have dedicated their lives to whatever sport they pursue and the bulk of their only worthy competition is in Beijing right now. In the same vein, one can discuss how manly or unmanly it is to perform acrobatic flips without any appreciation for the amount of work required for a gymnast to be qualified to take part in a worldwide competition. Most peoples' exposure to the Olympics is an unknown sea of faces accepting medals for swimming fast or performing funky flips. It would be amazing to witness these feats in person at one's local park or gym or wherever, but the Olympics desensitize what would otherwise be absolutely incredible.

Edited by Wist

Michael Phelps performed extraordinarily well, but that's fairly obvious without someone stating it.

I hope you don't mind me using your quote as an example like this, but it stirred an interesting thought. I hope I do not come across as critical because that is most definitely not my intention. I'm putting forth an observation more than I am a particular discussion point (although what I have to suggest will most surely be debatable).

The Olympics remind me of an art museum. At an art museum one has immediate access to thousands of paintings, each worth thousands or millions of dollars on their own, and they are all lined up next to each other in a series of rooms. One interested in a particular piece's history may be fascinated by that work, but, as a whole, the majority of the experience is spent strolling through each room and taking glances at each painting or piece (is there a better generic word for any random form of art?) to see which ones are the most likable. The value of each piece is significantly diminished in the eyes of a museum wanderer because they are all grouped together like any other collection; people pick and choose a few favorites, maybe try to figure out why the most famous paintings are as famous as they are, or wander aimless and bored.

Athletes who participate in the Olympics are the fastest, strongest, most skillful, and most motivated individuals from a country to dedicate themselves to a sport. Being confronted with thousands of such athletes, one naturally gravitates towards those from their own country, those with an arduous history, those who appear that they may prove themselves the best in the world, or those with some other particularly unique quality (assuming, of course, the spectator is interested in the event). I doubt many people will have taken much notice of Liz Yelling or Robert Cheruiyot (two marathon runners (England and Kenya respectively)) because they are not the best in the world, but they are still in an elite top tier and they have the same borderline asinine dedication as any other Olympic hopeful. Athletes like Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt stand out only because they have proven themselves the absolute best of the best, and that may not last into the next Olympics.

Seeing Michael Phelps win consecutive gold medals on the television, alongside a multitude of similarly motivated and superbly trained athletes, has a notably reduced impact. He will be talked about whenever Olympic gold medal wins are discussed, but he will otherwise drift from public consciousness. It's easy to see an athlete win a race by hundredths of a second, note that the arbitrary time in which the feat was accomplished is alleged to be amazing, and then go on with life regardless. It's difficult to appreciate that these athletes are the absolute best in the world, whether they win eight gold medals or they win nothing, and to feel any reason to pay attention to them at any time other than the Olympics (and understandably so; as an example I doubt many other people here could discuss the merits of the most accomplished StarCraft players in South Korea because I don't many other people would care at all).

Like an art museum, the Olympics allows the best of the best to completely overshadow each other (excepting, to a degree, the Olympic's few identifiable faces like Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt who still won't necessarily make a long lasting impression). It doesn't look particularly impressive to see a man swim multiple laps at an accelerate pace, but these Olympic athletes have dedicated their lives to whatever sport they pursue and the bulk of their only worthy competition is in Beijing right now. In the same vein, one can discuss how manly or unmanly it is to perform acrobatic flips without any appreciation for the amount of work required for a gymnast to be qualified to take part in a worldwide competition. Most peoples' exposure to the Olympics is an unknown sea of faces accepting medals for swimming fast or performing funky flips. It would be amazing to witness these feats in person at one's local park or gym or wherever, but the Olympics desensitize what would otherwise be absolutely incredible.

How did my quote help what you said?

How did my quote help what you said?

That's Wist for you. Give him one short sentence of inspiration and....BAM! A response worth 704 words.

Although, I too, am curious as to how Knife's post helped Wist....

Edited by Fireman

tl;dr