Is it unfair that enemies don't Pair Up?

Junkhead

That would nullify the entire system and make this game an even bigger brokenfest than it already is. You're basically playing 1v1 with a ton of Dual Guard's.

Might make things easier, actually. No support bonuses, and the excessive number of enemies coming at you on lunatic is reduced by half.

On the other hand, the infrequent Dual Attacks will still make surviving even one enemy a nightmare.

Edited by LunaSaint

Yes.

Enemies should have it. Some enemies should have supports on top of it. (I'm looking at you Champions of Yore 3)

A big problem with Awakening, and why people say Pair Up is broken, is that it is a player only feature. It's like, take chess, now give one player a bunch of queens, and take away the other player's queen. You'd hardly call that fair.

As far as Dual Guard goes, the Gelben Ritter's (The ton of Barons that support Hilda) Great Shields in FE4 was never a real problem. Hell, Great Shield itself was never a problem. Dual Strikes might be a nightmare, but those can be planned for (Assume they will happen).

Enemies with pair up would make it even more stupid tbh.

I'd get rid of it altogether and bring back the much more awesome rescue <3

Edited by PKL

Yes.

Enemies should have it. Some enemies should have supports on top of it. (I'm looking at you Champions of Yore 3)

A big problem with Awakening, and why people say Pair Up is broken, is that it is a player only feature. It's like, take chess, now give one player a bunch of queens, and take away the other player's queen. You'd hardly call that fair.

As far as Dual Guard goes, the Gelben Ritter's (The ton of Barons that support Hilda) Great Shields in FE4 was never a real problem. Hell, Great Shield itself was never a problem. Dual Strikes might be a nightmare, but those can be planned for (Assume they will happen).

You forgot to mention that the enemy typically has 3 times more units than you do. Comparing this game to chess is pointless.

Enemies with pair up would make it even more stupid tbh.

I'd get rid of it altogether and bring back the much more awesome rescue <3<3<3<3<3

Fixed and this

Yes im going to do stupidity to top this post because being stupid is my forte

Heres Chrom + Frederick vs Prologue

28 HP

13 STR(27 ATK)

13 SPD

12 SKL(112 HIT w/In Battle Bonus)

9 LCK(24 AVO)

14 DEF

vs Gamble!Ruffian

30 HP

11 STR(19 ATK)

5 SKL

9 SPD

5 LCK(19 AVO)

1 DEF

24 Damage, 86% HIT

6 Damage, 71% Hit

Pair Up version has 25% AVO, and 81% chance to hit Frederick

The Myrmiddon are joke enemies for Frederick, no matter what, while Mages is no problem at all because it is Fred's job to neutralize them

No problem so far, how about Chrom?

Frederick:

69% chance to get hit, Doubled for 7 Damage each

The Myrmiddon straight up murders him if he take Frederick Pair Up

MU:

Chrom is 1 speed short of getting doubled, and they have 63% hit rate

Again, the Myrmiddon straight up Murder him

MU is overall simmilar to Chrom, and DEFINITELY SHOULD take a +spd unless you like getting doubled

Be the judge, im too lazy to count Frederick Emblem enemies

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Yes.

This comparison really doesn't work. FE games are always imbalanced, typically with player units being stronger than the enemy but the enemy having more units. Pair Up doesn't change that. Even using your comparison, it'd be more like taking away one players queen and giving that player a bunch of extra pawns. And, oh, that exists and can be balanced.

FE4 Great Shield wasn't an issue because FE4 was easy. The Gelben Ritter weren't an issue because you fight them through a narrow passage, you're pretty much forced to tank them, and if you're tanking them, it doesn't make much difference if they randomly block 30% of your attacks. Great Shield isn't really game breaking MOST of the time, and enemy dual guard will have much lower activation rates (like... 2-20% depending on progress the game pretty much?) but it's main issue is being frustrating, and not fun. FE4 Barons/Generals in the Arena which just block all your attacks are very annoying, even though you often win anyway, and the first and foremost concern of a game is to be fun. Here it'd be less of an issue, but still annoying, especially towards endgame when you can just have an entire round of attacks guarded.

Personally I think it's best to keep as a player only mechanic, except perhaps for non-generic enemies. FE games have always been asymetrical - enemies can't rescue (AFAIK), can't shove, very few got mastery skills in FE10 (heck their whole tier 3 was weakened), they don't care for casualties, and obviously, the majority were generic enemies with nothing special about them compared to the players army which they care about. So I don't think the AI missing a new mechanic or two is at all an issue. Awakening could have been much better balanced, but I don't think player only getting pair up was the issue and I don't think it'd really solve the issues.

The enemy are incapable of understanding the power of love and trust, obviously.

This is the most obvious answer.

I prefer pairing up to rescuing because rescuing never made sense to me (in terms of an actual battle). Where does the unit go? How can you fight while carrying a unit? Pairing up works much better in showing how a battle would play out.

i can't fathom how rescuing doesn't make sense but pair up does.

Actually Pair Up does make sense

Edward can block Axe with his face, now everyone from Awakening can block giant flame explosions and take no damage!